Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Everyone got their CC statements after buying too much BFZ sealed product hoping for expeditions.

Personally, I haven't been to FNM in about a month, but that's more to do with my kids' bed times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Balon posted:

Up here in Canada we've been having record low FNM turnouts for the past 2 weeks. Tonight was another night where 8 people showed up as opposed to close to 20 normally - I know the US has an excuse for today but has anyone else notices a trend like this?

I had to help my family gut my house today for sale, plus we're getting down to ~17° F and gently caress bussing home in that.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

Up here in Canada we've been having record low FNM turnouts for the past 2 weeks. Tonight was another night where 8 people showed up as opposed to close to 20 normally - I know the US has an excuse for today but has anyone else notices a trend like this?

A lot of people have been turned off by the cost of the current Standard I think. Some people are also not liking BFZ draft. :(

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I had noticed that its a lot of the younger players that weren't showing up, along with the more casual older players.

Maybe its the rising cost of being competitive in standard that's dissuading people recently? Betweeb fetches and walkers people can't afford $300 standard decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

$300 is actually cheaper than the cheapest competitive standard deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Balon posted:

I had noticed that its a lot of the younger players that weren't showing up, along with the more casual older players.

Maybe its the rising cost of being competitive in standard that's dissuading people recently? Betweeb fetches and walkers people can't afford $300 standard decks.

That's mostly it, this standard is expensive as gently caress.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

That's mostly it, this standard is expensive as gently caress.

Its also boring because the standard decks to play are the same as last year except + 1 color and + $600.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

$300 is actually cheaper than the cheapest competitive standard deck.

Which is a problem for the health of the game as a whole, I find. I'm a grown rear end man with a good paying job and I still don't want to pay for FlipJace. I've played Atarka Red for 8 months at this point just because it's cheap (and wins a lot still).

How does the price of standard drop from this point? What would drive prices back down where Standard doesn't cost as much as Modern?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Balon posted:

Which is a problem for the health of the game as a whole, I find. I'm a grown rear end man with a good paying job and I still don't want to pay for FlipJace. I've played Atarka Red for 8 months at this point just because it's cheap (and wins a lot still).

How does the price of standard drop from this point? What would drive prices back down where Standard doesn't cost as much as Modern?

It kinda doesn't, flip Jace is out there and he can't feasibly be reprinted in a supplementary product because he's a DFC. So either buy a playset or don't play blue till he rotates (or ever if he isn't just a fad in eternal formats).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Balon posted:

What competitive Standard deck are you playing that only costs $300?

A playset of Jace cost $200+. Gideons cost $80+. Landbases alone run nearly $300.

I'm playing a pile of garbage that cost me a whole $20 since I had the Fetches for a Bant Landbase.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

Make people not want to play standard in huge numbers anymore

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cernunnos posted:

What competitive Standard deck are you playing that only costs $300?

A playset of Jace cost $200+. Gideons cost $80+. Landbases alone run nearly $300.

I'm playing a pile of garbage that cost me a whole $20 since I had the Fetches for a Bant Landbase.

Atarka Red. The only things that cost anything were the fetches and Hangarbacks.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Jace can be held in check with things like good graveyard hate and efficient removal, but there is no GY hate whatsover in Standard, and people are stuck playing crap like Silkwrap and Wild Slash for removal. If Tormod's Crypt was Standard legal, it would be played in at least 2 out of every 3 decks and Jace wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I'm currently skipping out on Magic due to the prices of standard. Modern also doesn't interest me too much, so I've mostly been playing it online in Xmage doing Legacy or Standard. Plus, standard at the moment has kind of reverted back to "play kill spell, play threat" on a turn to turn basis.

Meanwhile, Anime: the Gathering is pretty cheap and there's a playerbase for that at my store, so eh, got my Magic fix that way.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah the modern FNM's in my area have seen a huge influx of players, since the cost of a decent modern deck is not much more than a standard deck.

edit-unless you play goyf

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just going to buy into Modern. It can't be worse than Standard, it'll let me use my playsets of Fetches and Tasigurs at some point and all that jazz. Plus I haven't played Abzan this standard and to be honest I kinda wanna slam Siege Rhinos at some point in my life.

I'm consider starting with this just cos; http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-60-17-tix-modern-mono-green-aggro

Plus the RG aggro deck seems nice too, and could be worth buying up into.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I put together that turbo turns deck from mtggoldfish and have been having more fun with that than any other 'real' deck this standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rimusutera posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just going to buy into Modern. It can't be worse than Standard,

Ahahahahaha. No I think it's pretty safe to call modern the worst format. Standard at least has a lot of interaction, even if it's because the only viable decks are midrange decks. In modern there's just no incentive to interact. If you try to play a non-Twin deck that interacts in any meaningful way you're just going to lose to Tron or Amulet or Burn or someone making a Griselbrand on turn 2, or...

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just going to buy into Modern.

Instead of this, you should come play in the command zone thunder zone with us.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This is a good idea. You haven't lived until you've played a land into a Sol Ring into a signet on turn 1 only to have Dack steal your Sol Ring next turn.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Dack Tales! Woo-oo!
Tales of daring do bad and good
Luck Tales! Woo-oo!
Not pony tails or cotton tails, no,
Dack Tales! Woo-oo!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ramos posted:

This is a good idea. You haven't lived until you've played a land into a Sol Ring into a signet on turn 1 only to have Dack steal your Sol Ring next turn.

It's strange, there are only 7 planeswalkers in the format and only two of them are arguably any good. And no Jaces at all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fetch rotation is what will put the cost back down. Even if you ignore the fetch price the fact that you won't need 80% of the chase cards in the format for any given deck will help

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

It's strange, there are only 7 planeswalkers in the format and only two of them are arguably any good. And no Jaces at all.

I'd argue otherwise. Dack's the obviously useful one. Nahiri and Daretti are also going to find their ways into decks most likely since they're value town. Garruk may also be an alternate win condition for elf combo/beatdown.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Why bother buying into modern with standard when you can just buy into legacy?

E: seriously I traded a pile of khans fetches and standard junk for a tabernacle and Karakas last weekend it's very possible to do now

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 28, 2015

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

E: seriously I traded a pile of khans fetches and standard junk for a tabernacle and Karakas last weekend it's very possible to do now

Because Modern has more event support. I only know of one regular legacy event in my area and its a 2hr drive from me on a Sunday. Whereas Modern is an available FNM format at every gamestore in the area.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

My LGS is dropping its once-a-month legacy FNM for Duel Commander. Of course my area is probably more modern-leaning since we have that every other week.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cernunnos posted:

A lot of people have been turned off by the cost of the current Standard I think.
It's that plus there's just not anything that interesting in it right now, at least for me. Everything is either Atarka Red "throw everything at your head asap" poo poo or durdly 4 color good stuff decks, neither of which particularly interest me. I wish there was a good Sidisi Whip style combo/toolbox type thing out there but I haven't heard or seen anything like that and it just puts me off of it. Plus there's been an increasing number of idiots at my store who feel the need to do retarded shuffling superstitions for 10 minutes between games and I just do not have the patience for that poo poo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Plus there's been an increasing number of idiots at my store who feel the need to do retarded shuffling superstitions for 10 minutes between games and I just do not have the patience for that poo poo.

"pile shuffle in the shape of a heart in order to appease the Value Gods."

I put their top seven on the bottom if they do this. Because they want a "real" cut, but according to the rules the least amount of cards you need to move to validate as an official cut is seven cards moved.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 28, 2015

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
With how Standard is, I am glad that the SCG event today is Legacy. It is always a pleasure to watch, and really has me interested in the format.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

"pile shuffle in the shape of a heart in order to appease the Value Gods."

I put their top seven on the bottom if they do this. Because they want a "real" cut, but according to the rules the least amount of cards you need to move to validate as an official cut is seven cards moved.

Which rules are these?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

This deck is completely real and gets much better if you are willing to shell out a few dollars more for a few Scavenging Ooze, Melira, and some Spellskites (which are in every deck in modern anyway)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Stab posted:

Which rules are these?

Had a judge tell me that in order for it to be considered a 'real' cut of the deck you have to move at least 7 cards.

I'm assuming by your response, that's not actually the case.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Soldier Stompy comes in and just plays a suppression field turn 1 to just end the game entirely. It's moments like that that just make Legacy so lovely.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Ramos posted:

Soldier Stompy comes in and just plays a suppression field turn 1 to just end the game entirely. It's moments like that that just make Legacy so lovely.

It's times like this that I wish the chat was not on subscriber mode only. As terrible as Twitch chat can be, those moments are just hilarious.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oblivion Ring in legacy as well. "Yeap, I just brought my casual FNM deck to legacy."

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Had a judge tell me that in order for it to be considered a 'real' cut of the deck you have to move at least 7 cards.

I'm assuming by your response, that's not actually the case.

Ah yes, the well-known alternate Laboratory Maniac wincon where you mill yourself to less than seven and then crack a fetch.

No, it's not a real thing. At comp rel you're required to shuffle your opponent's deck, otherwise all manipulation is optional.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Loving this Miracles mirror pause not.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

AgentSythe posted:

This deck is completely real and gets much better if you are willing to shell out a few dollars more for a few Scavenging Ooze, Melira, and some Spellskites (which are in every deck in modern anyway)

Do you have a list with those cards? What do you lose, the Rancors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That was a boring Miracles mirror, but I have a lot of respect for Dan Musser for playing fast even when he stopped the game for a while and would have drawn instead of losing if he had been a little slower.

• Locked thread