Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Wewps

Chili has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Any luck so far with Buttscotch's diet? When I volunteered at an animal shelter so many of the cats the shelter got were morbidly obese and suffering severe health problems as a result. Here's hoping fluffball can get down to a healthy weight soon.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Are we still posting photos of senior animals?

This is Basi, the second oldest panda (as far as we know), celebrating her 35th birthday in Fujian, south china.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Any luck so far with Buttscotch's diet? When I volunteered at an animal shelter so many of the cats the shelter got were morbidly obese and suffering severe health problems as a result. Here's hoping fluffball can get down to a healthy weight soon.

So far, yes!

It's going to be very slow going, however. What we've been taught is that if a cat loses more than about a pound a month, it can be very detrimental to their health. We got Butterscotch at 28 pounds, and after a month, when we took him for his check up, he was down to 27. So we're pretty much nailing it.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Chili posted:

So far, yes!

It's going to be very slow going, however. What we've been taught is that if a cat loses more than about a pound a month, it can be very detrimental to their health. We got Butterscotch at 28 pounds, and after a month, when we took him for his check up, he was down to 27. So we're pretty much nailing it.

And what's the target weight? 16, 17 lbs? Do you normally foster for that long?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last image is broken. :(

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

kalstrams posted:

Last image is broken. :(

Odd. Here we are:

Overminty posted:

And what's the target weight? 16, 17 lbs? Do you normally foster for that long?

Well, the healthy weight for him is somewhere around there, yeah. Maybe even around 15. But, he'll be cleared for adoption at 20. The other good news that we learned is that we're still able to foster kittens even while we have Butterscotch! What this means is that we'll get an opportunity to see how crazy it is to foster needy kittens while we tend to all of the other animals in our house. That'll probably give us all the data we need to make a decision about keeping Bscotch or not.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Chili posted:

Also, Butterscotch is getting quite famous amongst all of the foster parents at our chapter of the ASPCA, we may be throwing him a little party so that all of the other fosters can meet him. If any of you guys would like a chance to hang out with Butterscotch and are anywhere near the Baltimore Maryland area, we'll probably be doing something in the coming months.

I live in montgomery county and might be interested in seeing a fat cat, and maybe some other cats. :3:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Chili posted:

If any of you guys would like a chance to hang out with Butterscotch and are anywhere near the Baltimore Maryland area, we'll probably be doing something in the coming months.
Oh hell yes this is my jam. Please keep us updated, I would love to rub that chub. :3:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chili posted:

Odd. Here we are:

Thanks! :neckbeard:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Chili posted:

So far, yes!

Had no idea it took so long for cats to lose weight properly. Good luck to you and Butterscotch, and it sounds like we'll be enjoying pictures of that fat cat for some time yet!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Had no idea it took so long for cats to lose weight properly. Good luck to you and Butterscotch, and it sounds like we'll be enjoying pictures of that fat cat for some time yet!

A pound for us is like, ten for them. 30 is realllllly bad for a cats weight like 300 is really bad for a human. A pound a month is good for Butterscotch. Here's hoping his skin'll bounce back as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
posting some pics of my old cats;

first two images of my oldest cat Mr Tibbs/Tibby/Tibbs(all three are valid names for him), have had him since 98, and as he was 2 or 3 when we got him, he's pretty drat old by cat standards, he used to be a bit of a paper eating jerk(appropriate for a former street cat), but by the mid-2000's he calmed down quite a bit, and is now a giant sweetheart(I'll admit when he does pass I'm going to need you guys like crazy, cause this'll probably break me rather fiercely)

next a pic of my other cat Rocky, we've had him since about 2000, he was about 6 months then, so he's also pretty old, used to be the biggest scaredey-cat around, he's gotten better over time though, he loves to lick people's arms(especially if it's a hairy one), is very loud in the morning(especially to my mom so she'll get him pets and scritches), is made of longness and floof, and as we recently discovered if allowed outside at night will hunt down rats and bring them inside as murder presents(although twice they turned out to be alive), so now we don't allow the cats outside at night

as a bonus have a couple pics from last Christmas my mom took of our two dogs Lily(the bigger one), and Abby(the smaller white one);

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Butterscotch's long-lost sibling, Fluffernutter.

Merlin, 18, absolutely refused to look at me with his perma-dilated green eyes once I readied the camera.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I wanna put my face in that floof

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Mewfasa.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Majestic bird standing on a rock:

Picture taken in Big Bend National Park

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My dog Coco passed away in October. She was 13 years old, and the happiest, floppiest pitbull-lab mix you've ever seen. I had that dog since I was in high school, and she meant the world to me. I'm still heart broken she's gone and I hate speaking about her in the past tense.

Our last day together:

I posted here saying I would never get another dog as long as I lived because losing her was too loving sad.

But I've been a dog owner for 13 years - I would still wake up and end up with extra time every morning because there was no friend to walk or feed. I'd feel guilty staying out late even though there was no one waiting at home. It was so lonely!

So anyway, a coworker of mine volunteers at a county shelter. She called me to let me know they had 90 dogs surrendered this week, and many were in their final days of adoption before the long road. She told me about a few of them who were sweet, trained, and older, but no one wanted pit bulls.

So anyway, here's Chalupa.

She's coming home with me next Thursday. She already knows how to sit, shake, "settle down", and take treats nicely. She's 2 years old approximately, and has had at least one litter. She is 75 pounds but medium sized! She's a wiggly tank.

I'm in love again :unsmith:

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Mocking Bird posted:

She's coming home with me next Thursday. She already knows how to sit, shake, "settle down", and take treats nicely. She's 2 years old approximately, and has had at least one litter. She is 75 pounds but edium sized! She's a wiggly tank.

Wanna hug datte dogge.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Mocking Bird posted:

She's coming home with me next Thursday. She already knows how to sit, shake, "settle down", and take treats nicely. She's 2 years old approximately, and has had at least one litter. She is 75 pounds but medium sized! She's a wiggly tank.

I bet her entire butt wriggles when she's happy :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bit late to the senior animals, but my family's cat Looney was about 16 when this was taken:

He died earlier this year at the age of 18. That's a good, long life for a cat.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

I bet her entire butt wriggles when she's happy :3:

Oh yes!!! :kimchi: She's still in that photo because I asked her to sit, but her tail was still a happy blur.

When we took her out to play and acquaint ourselves, she immediately brought me a tennis ball and then rolled over on her back to let me rub her belly. She also takes treats like a dainty lady. Sold!

It was reduced adoption fee day too, so this little lady is coming to me spayed and microchipped and vaccinated for $10 whole dollars :homebrew:

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

pookel posted:

Can someone help me out here, because search is terrible (and I tried it, too). Recently I read a post on either this thread or a pet thread in which someone took their big doofy dog to the dog park and ran into about half a dozen other big doofy dogs, and they posted a bunch of pictures of all these Great Danes (plus a St. Bernard and a Neapolitan Mastiff and I think a Great Pyrenees) romping around together. I cannot find this post anywhere and I really want to show it to my boyfriend (who owns a big doofy elderly St. Bernard). It might be an older post, I've been reading old threads. If anyone knows where it is I'd appreciate it.

I think I found what you're looking for.

RurouNNy posted:

While I was at the dog park today with my own dog, there was an invasion of giant beasties :3: Okay, so I am a creeper and I took pictures of stranger's pets.

(incoming dump, I hope there aren't too many :ohdear: - I have even more, I was trying to take it easy!)

there was a Newfoundland named Chewie (he was so soft!):

A St Bernard youngster (didn't get many pics of him):

A Neo Mastiff (I think??):

a black Dane (I think he was an old man, he just seemed crickety):

a merle Dane named Oakley and 10 months old (am I right on the coloring?):

and 2 harlequin Danes, a male and a female:
male:

female harlequin (I lurved her):

The two harlequins wrasslin':

It was an epic giant dog party :3: I've always loved Danes, though I haven't seen all that many in my life. They are so durfy!

These are from the horse-dog thread in PI. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyqdq-FnPcc

ABC Australia posted:

Tiger befriends goat instead of eating it; activists urge zoo to break up unlikely pair

Animal activists have reportedly called on an animal park in Russia to separate a goat from a tiger that befriended it instead of eating it.

The goat, since named Timur, was given to the tiger Amur (another name for Siberian tigers) as live food.

The Far Eastern Safari Park, in the Primorsky region bordering the Sea of Japan and North Korea, said it gives predators twice-weekly meals of live animals.

"Tiger Amur knows very well how to hunt goats and rabbits," a keeper told the Siberian Times.

"But recently he came across a goat that he refused to hunt."

Instead, Timur chased Amur out of his sleeping quarters, banishing him to sleeping on the shelter's roof.

"We think that the goat never came across tigers and no-one taught him to be scared of them," the keeper said.

Videos uploaded by the park to YouTube show Timur staying close to Amur, following him around the enclosure, and enforcing their new sleeping arrangements.

Timur was named in honour of his bravery, after the lead character in popular Communist-era children's book Timur And His Squad.

He is being fed hay, wheat, feedstuff and water every day, Russian news website RT reported.

Timur's fans call on zoo to separate them

Despite the peaceful cohabitation, fans of Timur the goat have called on the zoo to separate them for Timur's safety, RT said.

Visitors to the zoo's website have left messages calling the goat "sensational" and saying "he has earned the right to live".

One visitor, Bogdan, wrote: "Let his story be not only about the compassion the tiger showed towards the brave goat, but about people showing humanism too."

Separating the two might be difficult, with Amur showing a protective attitude towards his new friend.

"[Amur] hissed at an employee who feeds the tigers, as if to tell him, 'Hey, don't you ever approach my friend'," RT reported a keeper saying.

"Before that, he never showed any aggression towards staff."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The moment a cat realizes he doesn't like spinach.
https://vine.co/v/eMDOQ7bBUKv

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Bit late to the senior animals, but my family's cat Looney was about 16 when this was taken:

He died earlier this year at the age of 18. That's a good, long life for a cat.

Had to have my mother's cat put down a couple of months ago, liver failure. She was 28. Apparently that's some sort of record. Incredible cat, was still acting like a kitten from time to time right up until about a week before she died, though she spent most of her latter years sleeping. She had my mother's other cat completely cowed even though he outweighed her by a couple of kilos.

Echoing what many have said already: this thread helps you get through some tough spots. Thanks everyone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nockturne posted:

Had to have my mother's cat put down a couple of months ago, liver failure. She was 28. Apparently that's some sort of record. Incredible cat, was still acting like a kitten from time to time right up until about a week before she died, though she spent most of her latter years sleeping. She had my mother's other cat completely cowed even though he outweighed her by a couple of kilos.

Echoing what many have said already: this thread helps you get through some tough spots. Thanks everyone.

Quite so. Looney was old and having health problems, so when the vet said that fixing what was wrong with him would be expensive, not leave him with a good quality of life during the recovery, and probably only buy a few months before something else would go wrong my family decided he'd had a good life.

He always had that slightly alarmed look on his face. Dumb as a sack of potatoes, but he was rarely found not perched on the arm or back of a chair someone was sitting in.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My Aunt's cat Jinx, I think she's about 18 in that picture, passed away only last year at 22 or so. She lived with two German shepherds, one of whom was over 120 pounds, and they knew she was boss. Even when she got too arthritic to leave the couch, if the dogs got rowdy Jinx would just lift her paw and they would either settle down or take the fight to the other room.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All these old cattes :unsmith: I'm sure I've posted my childhood cat Stormy in here at least once. He was a present from my mom's best friend when I was 2, and we had him for 21 years. He loved to sleep on the back of my computer chair; sometimes he'd slide to one side and fall off completely, sometimes he'd slide the other and suddenly I'd have a feline boa until he woke up.

E: yep, I've shown him before.

He tried to look like a no-nonsense tomcat but he was a huge sweetheart :3: he'd push his forehead against you and just stand there with his head against you for as long as you'd put up with it.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 12:06 on Nov 29, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

My dog Coco passed away in October. She was 13 years old, and the happiest, floppiest pitbull-lab mix you've ever seen. I had that dog since I was in high school, and she meant the world to me. I'm still heart broken she's gone and I hate speaking about her in the past tense.

Our last day together:

I posted here saying I would never get another dog as long as I lived because losing her was too loving sad.

But I've been a dog owner for 13 years - I would still wake up and end up with extra time every morning because there was no friend to walk or feed. I'd feel guilty staying out late even though there was no one waiting at home. It was so lonely!

So anyway, a coworker of mine volunteers at a county shelter. She called me to let me know they had 90 dogs surrendered this week, and many were in their final days of adoption before the long road. She told me about a few of them who were sweet, trained, and older, but no one wanted pit bulls.

Good for you. Speaking from (multiple) experience, getting a new dog after that horrible period of loss is one of the best feelings in the world. It's really incredible to see both how similar and unique they can be.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Mocking Bird posted:

My best friend I rescued in college is getting older every day, and every day I dread the inevitable. She probably literally saved my life by helping me grow up and keeping me company during some lonely times. Your post is inspiring, and I feel for your sadness, but also thank you for giving me hope.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cat vs horde of puppies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyN7muczX4

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

a kitten posted:

It'll be ok, buddy

Everything's gonna be just fine.

I just ended a three-year relationship, and he just walked out the door. I was holding it together, but this was what got me.

Can you guys just please keep laying on the cute? i'm going to need it through the move-out process.

Vicodiva posted:

My cat passed peacefully in her sleep sometime early this morning. Scootie was normally very picky about where she wanted her skritches... like NEVER get near the belly. But in the past couple of weeks, she'd been rolling over for belly skritches. Her belly was so soft and skritchable. She was 15 and lively/under foot until the very end. Here is a pick with her buddy, my sisters Shiba:

Could I get some pics of senior pets, because senior pets are awesome.

I've posted her before, but here is Mona:

She's 16 and feisty, and particular about scritches, just like Scootie, and I think she's going to miss my boyfriend more than I will. I'm very sorry to hear about Scootie, but it sounds like she had a really happy life. How is her buddy doing?

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Nov 29, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Here's my cat, Lucy from the last time I visited my parents. I miss her so much and hate that she's like 120 miles away but she wouldn't do well with moving down here with me. At least seeing all the super old and beautiful cats makes me feel a bit better that she might be around for quite a bit longer. :unsmith:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fat Loser posted:

I think I found what you're looking for.

These are from the horse-dog thread in PI. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408341

Yessss! Thank you.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Here's my cat, Lucy from the last time I visited my parents. I miss her so much and hate that she's like 120 miles away but she wouldn't do well with moving down here with me. At least seeing all the super old and beautiful cats makes me feel a bit better that she might be around for quite a bit longer. :unsmith:

I can just feel her fur being drawn to your black pants like some inevitable magnetic force :kimchi:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Here's my own Lucy. She passed almost two years ago at about 15- We had her for 11 years, and she was a street cat so we weren't quite sure how old she was. I was over 100 miles away at university so I couldn't come back, especially with how fast she went, but I could tell when I was there that she was close to the end. I hope you don't have to say goodbye for a long time, and that you're there for it when it comes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kavak posted:

Here's my own Lucy. She passed almost two years ago at about 15- We had her for 11 years, and she was a street cat so we weren't quite sure how old she was. I was over 100 miles away at university so I couldn't come back, especially with how fast she went, but I could tell when I was there that she was close to the end. I hope you don't have to say goodbye for a long time, and that you're there for it when it comes.

Oh gosh she was a pretty cat. :kimchi: I'm sorry you weren't able to be there when she passed. It feels silly to actually type it out, but that's a big fear of mine that I won't be able to make it home if/when she does die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Wow your dog looks alot like mine!

A while back somebody posted an exact copy of my dog in the PYF dog thread and I forgot to remember their username.

• Locked thread