Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the most hair raising videos I've ever seen.

No violence, no death or serious injury, but it took my breath away.

That video elicited a strong reaction upon viewing. I could not even begin to imagine actually performing that, uh, stunt? Was the original plan to parachute down or were they trying to make it across and they ran into that debris on the cable and had to bail out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the schadenfreude thread, one of the most hair raising videos I've ever seen.

No violence, no death or serious injury, but it took my breath away.

No serious injury unless you count my heart exploding from the stress of imagining doing that.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That video elicited a strong reaction upon viewing. I could not even begin to imagine actually performing that, uh, stunt? Was the original plan to parachute down or were they trying to make it across and they ran into that debris on the cable and had to bail out?

I think that jumping was the original intent. The debris he hits before the splice looks like old rip cords from previous jumpers. I was really expecting a large portion of the hook to be missing when he slowed down but I guess it was more durable than I gave it credit for. Although his hand was pretty hosed up from trying to brake, I don't want to think how much embedded metal slivers he had to go get removed.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i like how he hosed up someones potatoes at the end

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

No violence, no death or serious injury

:colbert:

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Why would he take his gloves off then push off and futilely attempt to brake with his hand ?!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The debris is a splice in the cable.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Kasonic posted:

Why would he take his gloves off then push off and futilely attempt to brake with his hand ?!

I was wondering the same thing.. he could have used his feet as a C clamp on the line, too. He probably just panicked and we're being armchair operators.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I was absolutely sure we were going to see him lose his fingats.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Same. How do they put up a cable like that anyway? I'd always been curious about things like that in general, but I've usually only seen it in places where some actual construction had taken place, so I always unconsciously handwaved it as "they have money and science," but this wire doesn't look like it could have any other purpose out there than for hobbyists to climb and jump off of. The only thing I can think of is basically taking the whole length in a coil to one end, then walking/driving it out to the other end, setting up whatever equipment, then tightening at both ends until you have the tension you need, but I doubt that's how they do it.

And poo poo, how do they afford that much cable? I'm bad at judging distances, but that's got to be a mile or so at least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I highly doubt they put that up themselves. It's probably a relic of some industrial site or a valley spanning tram line or radio antenna or who the hell knows, its Russia. But to run a cable like that popular methods include: Tying that bitch to a rocket and shooting it across as well as the much less metal "hook it to a helicopter and fly it over" and more mundane ways like "cut a path along the valley floor, pull the cable then tighten it"

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same. How do they put up a cable like that anyway? I'd always been curious about things like that in general, but I've usually only seen it in places where some actual construction had taken place, so I always unconsciously handwaved it as "they have money and science," but this wire doesn't look like it could have any other purpose out there than for hobbyists to climb and jump off of. The only thing I can think of is basically taking the whole length in a coil to one end, then walking/driving it out to the other end, setting up whatever equipment, then tightening at both ends until you have the tension you need, but I doubt that's how they do it.

And poo poo, how do they afford that much cable? I'm bad at judging distances, but that's got to be a mile or so at least.

One possibility is that they dropped a cable down from each cliff, dragged the two sides together and then winched the entire affair up from both sides.

Distance wise, the fish-eye effect on the lens does not help with that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Arrath posted:

I highly doubt they put that up themselves. It's probably a relic of some industrial site or a valley spanning tram line or radio antenna or who the hell knows, its Russia. But to run a cable like that popular methods include: Tying that bitch to a rocket and shooting it across as well as the much less metal "hook it to a helicopter and fly it over" and more mundane ways like "cut a path along the valley floor, pull the cable then tighten it"

Munin posted:

One possibility is that they dropped a cable down from each cliff, dragged the two sides together and then winched the entire affair up from both sides.

Distance wise, the fish-eye effect on the lens does not help with that.

All those explanations make a lot more sense than what I was thinking, hah

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kasonic posted:

it looks like his glove got caught on the clamp at one point and so I would guess it was either "take it off, go barehanded" or "try to pull it out, fall".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The trick is that you don’t start with the heavy cable. You run a much lighter line first and once it’s in place, you can attach the heavy cable to one end and pull it across. These days the initial run can sometimes be done with remote‐controlled helicopters. For the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge, they used a kite. The Sidu River Bridge used rockets.

I agree with the others that the cable was not installed for hobbyists, though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

The debris is a splice in the cable.

I've been trying to make out whether it is or not from the video and, thankfully from a safety perspective, it doesn't look as if it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a pile of bird-picked gloves and skeletal hands.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Munin posted:

I've been trying to make out whether it is or not from the video and, thankfully from a safety perspective, it doesn't look as if it is.

From a practical standpoint, you're probably right. I'll be damned if I'm gonna watch it again to find out. I hate heights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you liked that, then you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbuN2jTdqdM

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Crosspost from the Russia Thread

Xerxes17 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KPgq90m0Fc

Slavs truly are the contemporary space orks :orks101:

So even war-torn Donetsk gets better internet than a good part of Australia :negative:

Edit: I was talking to a freind and he said "hahah that ain't poo poo" and linked me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3Rl1N2XrU
:toxx:

Edit:2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSLz_05FX0

The blue glow on the paper? holy poo poo

:eyepop:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Angry poltergeist, or fallen power line?

http://www.surenews.com/crazy/unknown-force-throws-vehicle-authorities-investigating/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhuYzIQ1Zos

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

-Zydeco- posted:

what the actual gently caress

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

-Zydeco- posted:

I was thinking to myself "Hey that sounds just like like a Geiger meter, that's funny, I wonder what it is" Welp.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

-Zydeco- posted:

The static effects when he holds the camera close. Holy poo poo.
What is he even playing with that can just turn gamma radiation on and off?

Edit: VVV Jesus, realizing how badly he had hosed up must have been terrifying.

LookieLoo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 29, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LookieLoo posted:

Assuming you talk about 2nd video, teenager built his own x-ray source from two vacuum tubes he bought in a giant radio supplies market in Moscow. OSHA part kicks in to it's full extent after 1:30 in the video, when he puts finger under the beam. That finger got 25 sievert radiation equivalent and a 3rd-4th (4th is most severe in Russian classification) degree radiation burn. His right wrist got under the beam as well, and it also was damaged, but doctors were able to fix it.

Idiot must be thanking any gods he is aware of for buying tubes that produce soft radiation.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 29, 2015

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The trick is that you don’t start with the heavy cable. You run a much lighter line first and once it’s in place, you can attach the heavy cable to one end and pull it across. These days the initial run can sometimes be done with remote‐controlled helicopters. For the Niagara Falls Suspension Bridge, they used a kite. The Sidu River Bridge used rockets.

I agree with the others that the cable was not installed for hobbyists, though.

I love the idea that kite flying is an integral part of building a bridge

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

LookieLoo posted:

lol i didn't see that first time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Assuming you talk about 2nd video, teenager built his own x-ray source from two vacuum tubes he bought in a giant radio supplies market in Moscow. OSHA part kicks in to it's full extent after 1:30 in the video, when he puts finger under the beam. That finger got 25 sievert radiation equivalent and a 3rd-4th (4th is most severe in Russian classification) degree radiation burn. His right wrist got under the beam as well, and it also was damaged, but doctors were able to fix it.

Idiot must be thanking any gods he is aware of for buying tubes that produce soft radiation.

JFC, I didn't even realize that's what he was doing. I thought he was just putting a stick in the beam or something. Now that I look more closely, the shadow shows the bones inside his finger. :psyduck:

I really hope that the blue glow is because he's holding up some kind of phosphorescent paper, and not because he's created an x-ray machine powerful enough to produce a visible image without any kind of sensitized detector :psypop:

e: I looked it up and if he really received 25 sieverts, he slots in between these two incidents

quote:

21 Sv: fatal acute dose to Louis Slotin in 1946 criticality accident[45]
54 Sv: fatal acute dose to Boris Korchilov in 1961 after a reactor cooling system failed on the Soviet submarine K-19 which required work in the reactor with no shielding[46]

and the immediate dose rate is in the range of grabbing onto a spent reactor fuel bundle :psyboom:

Do you have an article about this incident?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Do you have an article about this incident?
Only in Russian, unfortunately. Regarding the dose, direct quote is following:

quote:

According to the data from employees of Federal medical biophysical centre, maximum equivalent dose of radiation (20-25 sieverts) fell on the index finger of the right hand.
It is important to note here that they specifically denote that it was just the particular finger that received that much radiation. Examples you bring mostly relate to the radiation dose received by the whole body, where, per same article, 3-5 sieverts would imply a 50% death rate within 2 months.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, thanks. Google Translate is plenty accurate for an article like this.

Looks like the tubes he found were designed for doing x-ray analysis of materials (welds and the like, I'd guess). It says that the doctors were able to save his "hand" but nothing about his fingat specifically.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, thanks. Google Translate is plenty accurate for an article like this.

Looks like the tubes he found were designed for doing x-ray analysis of materials (welds and the like, I'd guess). It says that the doctors were able to save his "hand" but nothing about his fingat specifically.
Finger likely got amputated, but they don't mention it's fate indeed. As for the "hand", a wrist in particular is meant.

If you're curious about the tubes, BS1 is the first here and the other one is one of these.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol im fainting over here

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

radiation is fun to play with

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Does a 4th degree burn reach bone? I'm just trying to imagine the type of damage those homemade x-rays did.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
4th degree burn means theres no meat left iirc

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah stuff used for X-raying or radiography of welds is no joke.

Guy put a little radioactive "pigtail" in his back pocket. Iridium-192 source. Ridiculously hot. He lost his leg.

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf :mms:

"When the welder arrived home at approximately 22:30, he reportedly com- plained to his wife about the pain and she looked at his posterior right thigh and noted a red area of skin. He took off his jeans and, with the source still in the pocket, placed them on the floor. He visited a local doctor who told him he had an "insect bite" and that he should put a hot compress on the area. The welder's wife meanwhile spent about five to ten minutes squatting/sitting on his jeans while she breastfed their
18 month old child. Two other children who were at home, a girl of ten and a boy of seven, were about two to three metres from the source for approximately two hours."

"At 01:00 on 21 February, the operator of the company arrived at the welder's home and asked whether he had seen the source. The welder went to the bathroom and carried the source in his hands to the door. The radiographer told him to throw the source onto the street, after which recovery actions were initiated."

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 30, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

John Yossarian posted:

Does a 4th degree burn reach bone? I'm just trying to imagine the type of damage those homemade x-rays did.
Yes, 4th degree burn can imply up to (?down to?) necrosis of even bones.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kalstrams posted:

Yes, 4th degree burn can imply up to (?down to?) necrosis of even bones.

So basically "Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru" levels of burnt. Got it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

One of the somewhat dangerous things I've worked around was testing a recently built motor. It was moved into a testing area, bolted to the floor, and temporary power cables were connected. (I think the place could test motors and generators up to 13.8kV.)

Two things there:
  • The high-voltage stator connections were set up to be easily connected and disconnected. So what was done was the bolting was done inside what looked like a fiberglass pipe - the cables would be bolted together, and the pipe slid over the connections. (There may have been some additional temporary insulation and securing, but it was definitely not something you'd regularly encounter.)
  • During the testing and balancing, the coupling end of the rotor was completely exposed, and people doing the balancing were walking (albeit carefully) around it. (There was an assembly for connecting to the exciter on the other end of the rotor.)

It was a motor that was a little smaller than the one in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Oew43AOOs (approx. 2.2MW, 3000HP)

If you were caught on the coupling end of the rotor going 900 RPM, you'd probably turn into a bloody pretzel, or get thrown across the shop. We treated the 15kV class cables lying on the floor with the utmost respect as well. It was in a separate area where only personnel who knew what they were doing as well as qualified customers (witnessing testing) were allowed into.

One of the crazy things too in these motor shops is if they do any nuclear-related equipment, all the stuff is in a separate area and every part has to be tracked very carefully. I think that's per NRC stuff because the equipment is so critical.

hey, those are the exact sort of coils I make, it was neat seeing them put into place. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey, those are the exact sort of coils I make, it was neat seeing them put into place. Thanks!

Anything we have over 4160V uses VPI, where you take the windings and put them in a vacuum tank to suck all the air out and replace it with some kind of varnish or epoxy or whatever. I think it was class H insulation for a 185 degree C rise. I think there's also this extra layer of black "corona tape" that I saw these guys using for motors or generators above 4160V.

Rewind shops that repair and build motors are amazing. There was this one motor sitting there from a steel mill that must have been 16 feet high and 16 feet wide. I think it might've been for a blower or fan, and I don't think it was more than five or ten thousand horsepower, but it had an extremely large footprint.

Oh and by the way if you see wires that are marked as "current transformer secondaries" NEVER disconnect them while there's current flowing through the primary. You'll get a fireworks show like you cannot imagine.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread