Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Well, I weighed up the E-M5 II and the E-M10 II and ended up with the 10... Hopefully no regrets :v:

Sake of sheer curiosity, what sold you on the 10 II instead of the 5 II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It was more that nothing sold me on the 5 over the 10 to be honest. For slightly less money than the E-M5 body on its own, I got the 10 with 14-42, 40-150 and 45 1.8.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

It was more that nothing sold me on the 5 over the 10 to be honest. For slightly less money than the E-M5 body on its own, I got the 10 with 14-42, 40-150 and 45 1.8.

OK yeah that's pretty good. The 45 f/1.8 alone is a fantastic lens.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

You might be able to save another 100 or so bucks if you wait on that glass untill Friday. I'm going to jump on the 60mm Macro @ 400.

Also, please give a trip report with the em10ii's simulated ovf.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'm Aussie so Black Friday doesn't apply and our dollar is hosed so it probably wouldn't be worth buying from overseas at the moment.

I didn't buy the lenses separately, it was actually a triple lens kit at a local store.

First impression: everything is so SMALL. It's like a toy replica.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Digital Jesus posted:

First impression: everything is so SMALL. It's like a toy replica.

yeah, welcome to the future

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Even compared to my X-T1 though!

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Digital Jesus posted:

Even compared to my X-T1 though!

You should see it compared for the Sony A5100, which is 10+ mm shorter in all three dimensions! You can stick a pancake lens on it and put it in your pocket! I can't see why anyone would want a DSLR these days.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McLarenF1 posted:

You should see it compared for the Sony A5100, which is 10+ mm shorter in all three dimensions! You can stick a pancake lens on it and put it in your pocket! I can't see why anyone would want a DSLR these days.

low end NEX bodies all try to look like futuristic industrial point and shoot. They are size appropriate. Other mirrorless bodies try to look like a rangefinder, which has very similar size. Only miniature SLR-style bodies (with faux mirror box shaped protrusion) look weird. I had the same sensation when I picked up the EM5 for the first time.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
olympus firmware's out http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/upgrade?ref=CJ

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

whatever7 posted:

low end NEX bodies all try to look like futuristic industrial point and shoot. They are size appropriate. Other mirrorless bodies try to look like a rangefinder, which has very similar size. Only miniature SLR-style bodies (with faux mirror box shaped protrusion) look weird. I had the same sensation when I picked up the EM5 for the first time.

Pfeh, they might look like rangefinders, but they only weigh half as much! This is bullshit. Thanks, plastic.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime
I have a wireless remote, and back button focusing set up on the A7II (so I have a separate button for AF and shutter release). When I press the shutter release button on the remote it will engage the autofocus. This is hugely inconvenient when I have a 10 stop ND filter attached. How can I stop the remote from messing with the focus?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

change my name posted:

Pfeh, they might look like rangefinders, but they only weigh half as much! This is bullshit. Thanks, plastic.

Not all rangefinders are leica heavy. My xpro weighs more than my zorki.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

indigoe posted:

I have a wireless remote, and back button focusing set up on the A7II (so I have a separate button for AF and shutter release). When I press the shutter release button on the remote it will engage the autofocus. This is hugely inconvenient when I have a 10 stop ND filter attached. How can I stop the remote from messing with the focus?

Your camera and/or lens don't have a MF mode?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy hell this owns so hard.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Still no focus peaking on the EM-5 :mad:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

spankmeister posted:

Still no focus peaking on the EM-5 :mad:

Olympus gave up on the E-M5 long ago like Fuji with the X100S :( all I want is focus peaking and classic chrome, is it too much to ask?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Noticed someone selling a Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN lens for $130.00 CAD (about $100.00 US). Would this be a nice second lens from the kit 16-50? The Sony 35mm F1.8 is going for 400 OBO used it seems, which is a fair bit more than I'd care to spend on a lens at the moment. Ideally I'd like to have a decent portrait/low light lens. For an A6000.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/markham-york-region/sigma-30mm-f2-8-ex-dn/1121611613?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also a Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM for sale at $150, but then I'd need to get into adaptors to go from A to E mount.

Edit: Seems KEH has a Black Friday sale.
https://www.keh.com/359809/sony-35mm-f-1-8-e-oss-black-sel35mmf18-e-mount-autofocus-lens-49
460 at 40% off, assuming 0.75 exhange, about 360.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 27, 2015

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

Dren posted:

Your camera and/or lens don't have a MF mode?

:doh: This option did not occur to me.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

McLarenF1 posted:

Battery life is poo poo on mirrorless lenses. I went on a short 4 hour trip and I ate up 2 mirrorless batteries for my a7, my dslr on one is still chugging along and it is an old model.

I do love the wireless to cellphone feature though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Battery life is poo poo on mirrorless lenses. I went on a short 4 hour trip and I ate up 2 mirrorless batteries for my a7, my dslr on one is still chugging along and it is an old model.

Were you blazing away non-stop in the cold or something? I can usually get a whole day of travel stuff on one battery with mine. I used like 1.25-1.5 batteries doing an event (~2 hours?) of near-continuous shooting in September.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Battery life is poo poo on mirrorless lenses. I went on a short 4 hour trip and I ate up 2 mirrorless batteries for my a7

FTFY. Lots of things to love about the a7 series (I own an a7S), but battery life sure ain't one of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Turn some things off like Rec View and it will help a ton. Stick to EVFif you have that too

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

FTFY. Lots of things to love about the a7 series (I own an a7S), but battery life sure ain't one of them.

I'll second that. A7/NEX batteries are small though, so it's no biggie to carry extras. I took a NEX 5N to the top of a mountain in the dead cold of winter and you could practically watch the battery meter drop trying to keep thing running in the cold.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

HPL posted:

I'll second that. A7/NEX batteries are small though, so it's no biggie to carry extras. I took a NEX 5N to the top of a mountain in the dead cold of winter and you could practically watch the battery meter drop trying to keep thing running in the cold.

I usually carry a small sack of the things, so its not that, its just amusing how much they drink.

a thing I took today with the A7.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Golluk posted:

Noticed someone selling a Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN lens for $130.00 CAD (about $100.00 US). Would this be a nice second lens from the kit 16-50?

I like it, it seems like a nice lens and gets good reviews.

That said, I don't use it a lot as it's not a focal length I use much

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've been doing my best to lurk this thread for a while, so I figure I'd ask now! I've been tasked with taking photos of MY GIRLFRIEND for her blog/Instagram/yoga for the past year or so. We'd like to step up our game as we feel limited by our iPhones at times (particularly when the lighting isn't the best). I'm by no means trying to make a huge leap here, I've never taken any classes, but it seems like going with a mirrorless camera seems to be correct.

A coworker recommended the Canon EOS, but when I came to this thread it seems everyone says the Sony A6000 is the way to go. I've been browsing eBay to see if there were any good deals on used kits, but nothing really stands out as much less expensive then buying new on Amazon. If anyone has any suggestions for a better place to look I'd be very appreciative (or maybe another thread here with people looking to get rid of their kit). I apologize if this is the most common question that is answered all the time.

Question: is getting the 50mm prime lens worth it, or should I hold off and be fine with the 16-50mm to start?

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2015

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Doh004 posted:

A coworker recommended the Canon EOS, but when I came to this thread it seems everyone says the Sony A6000 is the way to go.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For mirrorless, Sony e and fe mounts, Fuji x-mount, and micro four-thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) all have their advantages and advocates. Depending on what you want, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. That said, the A6000 is a great all-around mirrorless camera with the one concern being that Sony hasn't made any new APS-c E-mount lenses or cameras in a few years, focusing instead on its FE-mount (full-frame e-mount) camera and lenses, which are a good bit more pricey.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I'd lean towards the 50mm. People who get started in photography naturally have a starved bokeh fetish and it's a good way to a) satisfy it and b) get over it. It's also a great lens ootivally, especially at the price. That said, the kit lens is dirt cheap and is fine as well. The big issue here is focal length; the 50mm at a crop factor of 1.6x is going to be a 80mm equivalent which is quite narrow for indoor usage. It's really up to you and what you're shooting. The kit lens is obviously far better for wider shots. The various lenses in the 30-35mm range might be a better fit, but they're also nearly double the price of the 50mm.

eBay is always going to have pretty competitive prices. I'd keep and eye out on Amazon and B&H as the holiday season gets later. I got some fantastic deals for it last winter.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Canon has a better lens selection, but worse sensors than Sony, so if you want better photos when lighting isn't the best, Sony would not be a bad choice. Amazon and B&H are common sites to buy equipment from and if you find a camera marked down more than $100-200 elsewhere, my impression is that it's probably grey market.

The a6000 series shares a lens mount with its full-frame counterpart, the a7 series, the E-mount. E-mount lenses will have an 'E' in their model number; full frame E-mount lenses will have 'FE' in their model number. The a6000 is decent, but Sony's weakness has been that they're still building up a catalogue of lenses, and unless I'm a mistaken there's a sense that they've been somewhat neglecting their APS-C lens line up in favor of the full frame lineup.

If you've got the extra dough, though, doh, the a7 lineup is pretty good. the a7 II series (a7 II, a7R II, a7S II) have very good lens stabilization over the first-series a7 models. FYI, the a7R line excels at ginormous pictures with tons of megapixels (42), whereas the a7S line has a much lower megapixel count (12 megapixels) in exchange for professional quality video and a ridiculously sensitive sensor for low light. The a7S does 4K with an external recorder, whereas the a7S II and a7R II record 4K internally to an H.264 XAVC S codec (which is, as I understand it, a well-supported Sony variant on H.264).

The a6000 and a7 lines' RAWs are also compressed and slightly lossy, which can make a difference i.e. for astrophotography, even if it's not noticeable for most pictures. The a7 II lines fix this with a firmware update that enable uncompressed RAW.

Battery life won't be great but if you get two 2-packs of wasabi batteriess (comes with a charger per pack), you can just swap the battery out quickly anyhow, so it's not a big deal.

Some Cyber monday deals here: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/two-days-left-cyber-monday-deals/

So, to compare the a6000 to the a7 II, the a7 II is:
  • $1100 more expensive
  • Is ~1 f-stop better than the a6000 (gets 2x more light at a given f-stop; it's a logarithmic scale)
  • Has good stabilization
  • Has a better lens selection (the Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8 is godly)
  • Has uncompressed RAW

The a6000 is pretty good, though. If you're going to be shooting indoors, you might feel limited by the 50mm prime. The 16-50mm might help you take a wider variety of pictures. If you don't really feel a need to buy into the expensive world of digital photography, a Sony RX100 might even be satisfactory for you.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Doh004 posted:

A coworker recommended the Canon EOS, but when I came to this thread it seems everyone says the Sony A6000 is the way to go.

Well, yeah, you're in the mirrorless thread. Go to a store and handle things in your price range and see what feels right to you.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated!

Borachon posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. For mirrorless, Sony e and fe mounts, Fuji x-mount, and micro four-thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) all have their advantages and advocates. Depending on what you want, each has its own strengths and weaknesses. That said, the A6000 is a great all-around mirrorless camera with the one concern being that Sony hasn't made any new APS-c E-mount lenses or cameras in a few years, focusing instead on its FE-mount (full-frame e-mount) camera and lenses, which are a good bit more pricey.

All around is definitely what I'm going for here. While it is a bit concerning for me, I'm not too worried about not having the latest and greatest as I won't be pushing any boundaries for quite some time. I think the pricepoint of the A6000 (or something like it) is what I'd like to get into this all.

Slowhanded posted:

I'd lean towards the 50mm. People who get started in photography naturally have a starved bokeh fetish and it's a good way to a) satisfy it and b) get over it. It's also a great lens ootivally, especially at the price. That said, the kit lens is dirt cheap and is fine as well. The big issue here is focal length; the 50mm at a crop factor of 1.6x is going to be a 80mm equivalent which is quite narrow for indoor usage. It's really up to you and what you're shooting. The kit lens is obviously far better for wider shots. The various lenses in the 30-35mm range might be a better fit, but they're also nearly double the price of the 50mm.

eBay is always going to have pretty competitive prices. I'd keep and eye out on Amazon and B&H as the holiday season gets later. I got some fantastic deals for it last winter.

We'd be shooting both indoor and outdoor. Also, we'd like to take this with us to travel. But good to know to wait for further into the holiday season for possibly better deals!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you've got the extra dough, though, doh, the a7 lineup is pretty good. the a7 II series (a7 II, a7R II, a7S II) have very good lens stabilization over the first-series a7 models. FYI, the a7R line excels at ginormous pictures with tons of megapixels (42), whereas the a7S line has a much lower megapixel count (12 megapixels) in exchange for professional quality video and a ridiculously sensitive sensor for low light. The a7S does 4K with an external recorder, whereas the a7S II and a7R II record 4K internally to an H.264 XAVC S codec (which is, as I understand it, a well-supported Sony variant on H.264).

Thanks for the write up Doctor :). The a7 do look really nice, but that's beyond what I'd like to pay for now. I definitely see how much money can go into this in the future, but this is good to know as a next-next step.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Well, yeah, you're in the mirrorless thread. Go to a store and handle things in your price range and see what feels right to you.

Sorry, I meant the EOS M3! But I compared the M3 to the a6000 and aside from Canon lenses, the a6000 seemed to be the better camera (even though it's older).

I fortunately have an Adorama right next to my work in NYC, so I'll definitely go play with some cameras next week.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Just a final tip (from a former NYCer). If you got any family outside the state, go to either Adorama or B&H, try the camera out, and if you like it, return it and then buy it again to get it shipped to them! Taxes are killer.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
isn't an a6000 successor supposed to be out soon? might be worth waiting to see what that's like and/or what it does to a6000 prices

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Sorry, I meant the EOS M3! But I compared the M3 to the a6000 and aside from Canon lenses, the a6000 seemed to be the better camera (even though it's older).

I fortunately have an Adorama right next to my work in NYC, so I'll definitely go play with some cameras next week.

Unless you're already in on canon and looking for a small body to put your lenses on, don't buy into eos-m until canon decides to buy into it. There's four native lenses for it - they have not shown any kind of commitment for all people joke about Sony and their ADD when it comes to mounts.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doh004 posted:

Come on, nobody knows about the M3 and let alone recommend it. You coworker must be recommending ESO DSLR system which is frankly the most sensible recommendation for system camera beginners with a modest budget.

Also, I hope you didn't miss the A6000+2 kit lens Black Friday deal. If you miss it then A6000 is just an ok choice, nothing special for the regular price $600 price you pay for in the mirrorless world.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Slowhanded posted:

I'd actually go with the kit lens. I have the 50mm and while it's got a great bokeh, the Sigma 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm Art DN f/2.8 not only produce crisper images, they are cheaper, $200 each. If I could trade my Sony 50mm for a Sigma 60mm I would. I absolutely love my 19mm Sigma, it's my default walk around lens.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

^^^ I'd originally recommended the 60mm Sigma over the 50mm Sony in this post, but changed it to be more neutral because I don't have personal experience with the 50mm. I guess my preference for the 60mm was well-placed.^^^

a6000s are seriously cheap right now. $548 for the single-lens kit. (The 70-210mm lens that comes as the second lens in the two lens kit is pretty crappy.) You can get even better prices buying used. Just make sure that it's in good condition or the vendor has a good return policy; they're not the most robust cameras and there's no mirror to protect the sensor from environmental damage.

It's true (and maddening) that the E-mount system is sorely lacking basically any sort of good 'specialty' lenses outside of macro, ultra wide angle, and arguably wide aperture primes. That said, their 'general purpose' lens variety is pretty well-rounded. If you want to buy into Sony APS-C E-mount, but not drop a lot of money (relatively speaking) on expensive lenses (again, relatively), the kit 16-50 is a good starting point and will suit most of your landscape, person-scale scene/street, and very basic portrait needs. Given that you want to take photos of your partner with this camera, I'd recommend a wider-aperture prime so you can get some subject separation as well as take advantage of the better image quality of a prime lens. (The kit is softest and slowest at the 50mm end, although even then the image quality is still very good.) To that end, the Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS is great for its fast aperture and optical stabilization. Both of these factors will let you use relatively fast shutter speeds in relatively low light. You can get it for less than $250 used on Amazon. Another option is the Sigma 60mm f/2.8. It's got a smaller max aperture and lacks OS, but it's absolutely razor sharp even at f/2.8, so you can use it wide open without sacrificing as much image quality as you would with the Sony (which doesn't even match the Sigma's performance when stopped down to 2.8 itself). It's less than $200 used on Amazon.

Want to spend even more money in the future? The Sony 18-105 f/4 is well-regarded for a 'superzoom' and gives you a lot of flexibility to mix up your focal lengths without switching lenses. Can be had for around $400 if you hunt for it and are patient. Great for video.

All this said, if you think you may ever want to photograph sports, wildlife, or your oblivious neighbors other distant subjects, the 'super telephoto' lens category remains unaddressed by Sony. They may fix that in the next few months (with a really expensive FE super tele) or they may not.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

whatever7 posted:

Come on, nobody knows about the M3 and let alone recommend it. You coworker must be recommending ESO DSLR system which is frankly the most sensible recommendation for system camera beginners with a modest budget.

timrenzi574 posted:

Unless you're already in on canon and looking for a small body to put your lenses on, don't buy into eos-m until canon decides to buy into it. There's four native lenses for it - they have not shown any kind of commitment for all people joke about Sony and their ADD when it comes to mounts.

Dear uninformed internet brosefs,

The M3 has been out for almost a year in Japan and is a good APS-C camera with EF-M lenses and a great one with the EF/EF-S mount adapter. The EOS M cameras are not like EOS DSLR cameras (they have entirely different software), but they have access to the whole EOS DSLR range of equipment mostly (flashes, lenses, etc).

This thread loves to talk about using adapted lenses with speedboosters but for some reason using IQ/optically neutral in-system mount adapters (in systems with plenty of fast and speciality lenses available) is bad. :confused:

The primary issue with the EOS M series and most other mirrorless cameras is that they keep getting refreshed yearly. Canon is not immune to this.

The secondary issue with the EOS M3 specifically and my only real complaint against it as a still image camera is that the fastest shutter speed is 1/4000, which sucks now and then when using really fast lenses (e.g. f/1.4) on a clear and sunny day outdoors.

Canon released 2 new EF-M lenses this year in Japan. According to rumors: They are planning a few more for next year, and there is an mirrorless pro body coming, which will probably make use of the "use any EF lens as a tilt-shift lens" patent. They also released a new camera, which is lower in spec from the M3, and since they are preparing to release one at a higher spec, I am pretty sure running 3 lines of mirrorless cameras for different segments makes them as committed as anyone else.

The 55-200mm was announced in 2014 but supply shortages made them only start trickling into retail in buyable form around the time the M3 was released.

So.. if you were to buy into the M3 fully, you would indeed be buying into the EOS system to get the most out of it, and for casual photography the 5 already existent EF-M lenses are good enough for running around town. Canon has committed a lot to the system, far more than the EOS M would've indicated given its lackluster sales, and the rumors are pointing it into the direction of "serious about it". The M3 buys a lot of credibility as it is their current best APS-C sensor, sans dual pixel AF 7D Mark II which honestly doesn't look better, just has more features for some applications. The sensor in the 760D/T6s/8000D is the same, so once you throw in the mount adapter you have a smaller that, basically, except the controls on the M3 are actually easier to use and the exposure compensation dial is great (though limited to +/- 3ev).

The only reason the M3 is even available in the US is because Canon saw better than expected sales in Asia and Europe and while you can try to pin its "impending failure" in the US on the differences between the US vs Asia and Europe, as a white American living in Japan I can pretty much summarize that up by: Anyone who thinks there is one is full of poo poo (except in the US the terrorists are Christians).

I remain in the camp though that wishes Canon would compete against the Sony a7 Series. Nikon probably won't unless Canon does, and Canon is pretty much the only not Sony company who is actively working on high resolution image sensors in any meaningful way (5DS/5DS R). With a new 1D and 5D due out the next year, though, I doubt this is going to happen in 2016.

With love,
fat white guy in Japan

P.S. I now own a 5D3 I bought begrudgingly to do a job but still shoot the M3 quite often, especially for street photography where looking through a viewfinder is an invitation for unwanted attention. When I needed the 5D3, it was specifically because I had the lenses and just not the sensor to properly handle an event venue (needed high ISO IQ and more frame width), and by virtue of being in system already with the 70D/M3, all I had to do was switch to a different body. I would like to see the Sony APS-C and/or Micro 4/3rds camp do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, don't give Canon too much credit. Their 5DS sensor is more or less just the APS-C one scaled up. And as far as Nikon and sensors go, they shop at Sony, so... v :) v