Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

0toShifty posted:

I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

Isn't that like the standard issue car for a vicar / priest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

0toShifty posted:

I was driving though a church parking lot and I found the creepy volvo parking zone in the back corner

Did the 240s have fold-in mirrors (that aren't on a spring)?
The only failure here is they are all sedans.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Did the 240s have fold-in mirrors (that aren't on a spring)?
The only failure here is they are all sedans.

depending on the year, ya

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

IPCRESS posted:

I'd say the beam's there because it's cheaper to simply put up another sacrificial steel beam than to re-inspect the bridge, not because truck-based erosion of the bridge is a problem.

TIL "Truck Based Erosion"

When people crash into a thing too much with large things.

0toShifty posted:

Hey.. psst..
you wanna smoke some..... SAFETY

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 28, 2015

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.
e: cant delete a post.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

0toShifty posted:

If this is a cult, I'd like to join. Especially if they issue 240s to new converts.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

There does seem to be kind of a theme to your posts here and in the VW thread. I've kind of been waiting for you to post a shot of you licking a VW logo while lying on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace in one of the picture threads.

Don't. If you make this irony joke, then Bill Maher will use it on his show as an example of how "whack-job" and "unbalanced" car guys/VW people are totally not getting the original joke himself, the whole time he and his fans think they are so clever.

Budget Monty posted:

So I heard a loud crash outside our shop today. I go outside to see what it was, and look across the alley that divides our shop from the Hyundai dealership shop...

Similar happened to an acquaintance's then brand new Mitsubishi 3000GT at a tire shop while getting fitted with customer wheels and tires. fell and landed clean on one side. They had a towing company show up, and OK'ed him to drag it out of the shop being careful not to damage their $3000 lift.

The tire companies insurance company sent it to a body shop that did a shoddy job. His dash rattled like a 30 year old farm truck. He had so many problems that in the end he sold it to a mechanic friend that has a JDM motor for it. As far as I know it is sitting under a car cover today for the majority of its 20 year life, right next to that JDM motor.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If this is a cult, I'd like to join. Especially if they issue 240s to new converts.

I'm not sure if it's still the case today, but a decade ago seeing 240s lined up mirror to mirror was a sure sign of ... let's call it rural Norwegian male youth culture. Very high probability of them all having plush dice and Wunderbaume.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

0toShifty posted:

Given the way they're parked, I"m going to guess they're all owned by the same guy, and he works at the church and has permission to store them there. He also probably gets them from other church members who know he's a fan.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

"My wife said she was pulling into a parking spot when she heard a loud crunch and the oil light came on."

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Elmnt80 posted:

"My wife said she was pulling into a parking spot when she heard a loud crunch and the oil light came on."

Was she parking on a mountain trail? Or partway up a set of steps, perhaps?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From Imgur: :stare:

Driver apparently took the photo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Am not recognizing that oil pan. Whats that off of?

Edit :/\ Holy gently caress

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Preoptopus posted:

Am not recognizing that oil pan. Whats that off of?

/\ Holy gently caress

VW 1.8T?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

its a jeep thing

and i definitely dont understand

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drat good guess but it appears to be on some euro poo poo I rarely see.
https://www.europaparts.com/engine-oil-pan-078103604aa.html

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 29, 2015

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Enourmo posted:

its a jeep thing

and i definitely dont understand

The lines are under enough tension that losing one pole doesn't bring the whole thing down. So it's just kinda hovering there after the jeep said hi.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Was she parking on a mountain trail? Or partway up a set of steps, perhaps?

I figured he had bottomed out at a lovely new dip the constuction crew left in one of the entry ways to a busy shopping plaza, so I asked and that was his response when I asked him.

Close

Preoptopus posted:

drat good guess but it appears to be on some euro poo poo I rarely see.
https://www.europaparts.com/engine-oil-pan-078103604aa.html

Yup, 04 v6 passat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

An Engineer: "clearly, we're using at least twice as many poles as we need."

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
How is that even possible, phone poles and tree trunks generally own the gently caress out of whatever happens to hit them instead of snapping like a toothpick

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BobHoward posted:

How is that even possible, phone poles and tree trunks generally own the gently caress out of whatever happens to hit them instead of snapping like a toothpick

Ever notice how a blade of grass will bend if pushed slowly, but cuts if hit swiftly? That's my guess here.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Might not be the first time it got hit.

XtaC
Feb 17, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

Might not be the first time it got hit.

At a guess, I would say that pole was getting towards the end of its service life, and was a bit rotted.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sagebrush posted:

An Engineer: "clearly, we're using at least twice as many poles as we need."

I was thinking the same thing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

BobHoward posted:

It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Let's see someone do the same to a concrete or steel pole. Then I'll be impressed.

As will the driver. Into the pole. :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ExplodingSims posted:

Let's see someone do the same to a concrete or steel pole. Then I'll be impressed.

As will the driver. Into the pole. :v:

Most of those are designed to snap, though. We had one week where no less than three people knocked over the red light in front of my neighborhood.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

Most of those are designed to snap, though. We had one week where no less than three people knocked over the red light in front of my neighborhood.

Roxanne you don't have to roll over into the red light

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

What the hell is going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSN6gSlNdRE

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You see Ivan, is not just sobakayobs in air forces can put on light show! And help keep you warm on cold night also!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
holy gently caress looks like a runaway and then, all ok.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sometimes I really wish II could speak Russian so I can understand both what is said in those videos and in the comments...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Reactor is starting to meltdown.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Reminds me of that video where the guys were trying to blow the catalyst out of the exhaust by revving it really high, and ended up setting their car on fire AND melting an overhead power line.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
It looks really similar to those videos of trains with wrecked turbochargers (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8RvoppZT0Y I'm 100% sure that video has already been posted on this thread)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

"if one of the more sane youtube comments its true, then this is a driving exam. during training they move slowly so the exhaust tube accumulates unburnt oil and diesel. then on exam they go full speed, exhaust tube gets hot and all this poo poo eventually sets on fire"

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

VTEC just kicked in yo.

It looks very similar to the 6.4L flaming exhaust thermal event videos but I doubt a Russian military vehicle has a DPF or fuel injector in the exhaust.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

VTEC just kicked in yo.

It looks very similar to the 6.4L flaming exhaust thermal event videos but I doubt a Russian military vehicle has a DPF or fuel injector in the exhaust.

If it is Russian and has a smoke generator (which that truck doesn't), it almost certainly does have an injector in the exhaust.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Jusupov posted:

"if one of the more sane youtube comments its true, then this is a driving exam. during training they move slowly so the exhaust tube accumulates unburnt oil and diesel. then on exam they go full speed, exhaust tube gets hot and all this poo poo eventually sets on fire"

And the poking with stick part of the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Dr. Klas posted:

And the poking with stick part of the video?

Russia