Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Edit: Oops, posted this in the wrong thread!

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So what would happen if I put a half frozen turkey into the oven at 200 degrees for like 36 hours?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Bananana posted:

So what would happen if I put a half frozen turkey into the oven at 200 degrees for like 36 hours?
You would have a dry lovely turkey.

/e- to thaw quickly use water baths.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 25, 2015

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

So apparently I'm making rolls tomorrow? (I have never made rolls, but that is what the Thanksgiving coordinator decreed!)

Anyway, I found a recipe in the bread thread that looks good (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-pull-apart-butter-buns-recipe), but it requires All Purpose Flour.

The only flour I have on hand is Bread Flour (White Lily, fwiw)

Should I be able to substitute it OK? Or do I need to face the grocery store mob for All Purpose? :ohdear:

vv Phew! Thanks :)

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 25, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It will be just fine.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bread flour actually makes better bread than all purpose does!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You can fake bread flour by adding vital wheat gluten to AP or cake flour. It won't be quite the same with cake flour since it's milled more finely than bread flour, but it'll be close. When calculating the gluten content, assume that the VWG is 75% - most brands are around that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it ok for me to let my stuffing sit in the fridge overnight so I can bake it in the morning or will that make it soggy?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
Blessed Goons,

I love making nachos like this:

But i'm looking for more of a kick. Would pickling habaneros myself work for this purpose? I fear their flesh may not be substantial enough to hold up when sliced.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Pickle your own jalapenos with plenty of chile arbol, mustard seed, rice wine vin, sliced onion, and crushed garlic.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Or use pickled serranos. Or pickled habaneros.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Pickle your own jalapenos with plenty of chile arbol, mustard seed, rice wine vin, sliced onion, and crushed garlic.

The chile arbol will add enough extra heat? I was considering pickling jalapenos and adding some Dave's Insanity sauce but your method sounds better

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Or use pickled serranos. Or pickled habaneros.

Serranos is what I was leaning towards...they are consistently hotter than Jalapenos, correct?

My only concern with habaneros is that they have been too thin in my experience. I worry that they wont hold up through the pickling process.

The one's I've sliced have looked like this:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Three turkey porchettas are made in preparation for tomorrow. All of a sudden I realize I have misread teaspoons for tablespoons and have triple salted these. Is there any way to fix this? I'm thinking, as crappy as it is, if I unroll them and rinse them off and re-roll them this may do the job?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

The chile arbol will add enough extra heat? I was considering pickling jalapenos and adding some Dave's Insanity sauce but your method sounds better

Serranos is what I was leaning towards...they are consistently hotter than Jalapenos, correct?

My only concern with habaneros is that they have been too thin in my experience. I worry that they wont hold up through the pickling process.

The one's I've sliced have looked like this:

I've pickled a whole shitload of habaneros and other C. chinense cultivars (bhuts, Trinidad scorpions, and so on) and have never had any problems. I'm not even sure what you're worried about. Like, that they won't stay crisp or something?

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

SubG posted:

I've pickled a whole shitload of habaneros and other C. chinense cultivars (bhuts, Trinidad scorpions, and so on) and have never had any problems. I'm not even sure what you're worried about. Like, that they won't stay crisp or something?

Idk i figured they'd fall apart. Anyways, 2 out of 2 goons agreed, so habaneros it is. God Bless.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I need help figuring out what went wrong with my turkey this year. I bought a heritage turkey from Heritage Farms in Wisconsin and thawed it in the fridge. I brined it as usual, cooked it in my Big Easy "oilless turkey fryer" as I've done many times before. It seemed to be cooking very quickly, so fast it was going to upset the meal schedule, so I decided to chance overdoing it a little and let it go to an indicated 180 degrees in the white meat. When I carved it, it was very underdone.

I pulled the probe out before I moved it to the platter to rest, so it's just barely possible I put the probe too close to the body cavity, but I don't think so. I checked the calibration of the probe with boiling water and it's not reading hot. Is there anything else that could have happened besides bad probe placement to yield this result?

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Alright, double the parm, double the cream, double the butter, add 1 cup of AP flour, and 1 Tbsp of baking powder.

Parm's going to soak up some of the liquid, butter's going to make it richer, and moister, as will the cream. If you feel they're dense, add more BP, but I think 1 extra Tbsp will suffice.

Personally, I think there's too much pumpkin in the biscuit, and that's what is making it dense, so I've worked around that. You could just use the base recipe, and cut back on the pumpkin.
Halving the pumpkin was a night and day difference, they came out much lighter and flakier. Thanks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

underdone turkey

If it came up too fast and the meat wasn't cooked enough youn most likely were temping the air hole

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Idk i figured they'd fall apart. Anyways, 2 out of 2 goons agreed, so habaneros it is. God Bless.

Banana peppers are super thin and hold up fine.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Hey, does anyone know a common shop in the NYC-NNJ area that carries 8oz whipped cream chargers? I still have my dispenser from when I worked in the food industry and we have a shitload of leftover thanksgiving desserts from the in-laws.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You can order them from amazon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Saurus posted:

Hey, does anyone know a common shop in the NYC-NNJ area that carries 8oz whipped cream chargers? I still have my dispenser from when I worked in the food industry and we have a shitload of leftover thanksgiving desserts from the in-laws.

Yeah, "dessert", sure.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

pile of brown posted:

You can order them from amazon

I don't have time, these desserts aren't going to last long enough for me to get them in the post. Unless a drone can drop them the same day?

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Yesterday I cooked a turkey for American Thanksgiving (because why not?) and then used the carcass to make stock, as I usually do. Brought it to a rolling boil then lowered it to a simmer, covered it and went to bed. This morning the temp was 58° C, which is juuuuust in the danger zone. How concerned should I be about this?

I won't be too devastated if I have to throw it out (even though I hate to waste food) because my husband forgot to take the lemons out of the cavity when he put the carcass in the stock pot and the stock does taste weirdly lemony.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
If it was covered, you're fine.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
I did uncover it to check the temp but then brought it back to a rolling boil immediately afterward. Hurrah! Strangely lemony turkey soup for supper tonight!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wanna try making pulled pork tomorrow, in an enameled dutch oven (I don't own a slow cooker). I eat almost no pork and have never made this before. I know the basic principle (put pork shoulder in dutch oven, put a bunch of liquid in, wait several hours, shred with forks) but no specifics. Anyone have a good baby's first pulled pork recipe? Do I sear it first, like a pot roast? Anything else I should know? I assume the risk of foodborne illness is very low since it cooks such a long time.

EDIT: Wait, this NYT recipe doesn't even call for liquid. Do I need liquid if I'm not doing this in a slow cooker? Won't it dry out without it?

guppy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 27, 2015

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

No, it will not dry out without the liquid. I never braise pulled pork because the liquid seems to rob a lot of the flavor. To roast pork shoulder, either roast for an hour per pound of meat at 250 Farenheit and let rest covered for an hour before pulling, or roast in a pan covered in foil for 1 hour per pound of meat PLUS an additional hour. The former method will get you a tough bark around the edges and the latter won't, but the latter you can shred right away.

Also apply a rub to the shoulder and let rest overnight (if there's time) or a few hours before roasting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Okay, thanks. I bought 7 pounds and change of bone-in Boston butt, I trimmed excess fat (left the fatcap on, which I assume I'm supposed to?) and put a dry rub on it, and it's hanging out in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap til late morning tomorrow when I'll cook it. I'm going to be working from this recipe, which says to do it in the oven. Do I sear it on the stovetop first, or just plonk it down (fat-side up, right?) on the bottom and toss it in the oven? I was going to do it in a Dutch oven; if so, do I leave the lid off? If it won't fit, is it okay to cut it in half? (Should I just do it in the roasting pan it's in right now, sans plastic wrap?)

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you braise, when you are done remove the meat from the juice and reduce the juice until it's thick and syrupy then mix back into the meat.

The answers to all your questions above are kind of "sure, doesn't really matter." The smaller your chunks the sooner they'll cook to shredding point so if you're in a hurry cut it up. The only caveat is that smaller pieces will also become overcooked and dry more quickly. Searing makes whatever you sear taste better but isn't necessary. I usually start covered and do the last 30-60 mins uncovered.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Perfect, thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NESguerilla posted:

Is it ok for me to let my stuffing sit in the fridge overnight so I can bake it in the morning or will that make it soggy?

This reply is too late but yes, you can. I used the Food Lab recipe this year and left it in the fridge overnight, let it warm up to room temp then baked. It was no different than freshly made.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have any tips for making and forming mofongo? I'm planning on serving them stuffed with chicken stew and want to make sure I get an attractive dome with the filling inside.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Can sour cream be used in place of regular cream, for use in a sauce?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Can sour cream be used in place of regular cream, for use in a sauce?

If it's a Hungarian sauce, sour cream is preferable. What sauce?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I received two 1lb-ish packages of frozen ground venison or at least I assume its ground, I haven't opened the tube. I've never made anything with venison before so I'm open to somewhat easy suggestions. Would it make a good "sausage" gravy?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I received two 1lb-ish packages of frozen ground venison or at least I assume its ground, I haven't opened the tube. I've never made anything with venison before so I'm open to somewhat easy suggestions. Would it make a good "sausage" gravy?

Venison is very very lean. I don't really know sausage gravy, but what little I understand of it is that a roux is made using the sausage fat. Venison won't have this. I'd be making either burgers, cutting something like ground pork into the meat to pump up the fat levels, or a chilli.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. Wookums posted:

You would have a dry lovely turkey.

/e- to thaw quickly use water baths.

Ok, so, I thawed the turkey in the fridge over a few days. It's seasoned, sealed in foil, and I'm sticking it in the oven, on low heat, for about 6 hours or so. I'm looking for a reassessment of the outcome. Or am I still going to end up with a "dry lovely turkey"?

Edit: 14lb turkey, 250° F

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

dino. posted:

If it's a Hungarian sauce, sour cream is preferable. What sauce?

Just a simple white sauce (cream + chicken stock + pesto) for some gnocchi. Anyway, I just used milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Just made some Kimchi and some black beans. Do they mix?

e: assume I'm not worried about craps from hell