Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

YellerBill posted:

What are the best weapons to use on an Asp Explorer if I want to shoot things in RES with it? I've tried various different setups but nothing seems particularly great.

Two medium multi-cannons and four small pulses work great if I remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

YellerBill posted:

What are the best weapons to use on an Asp Explorer if I want to shoot things in RES with it? I've tried various different setups but nothing seems particularly great.

Disclaimer: I have never flown an asp.

How about two medium beams and four small multicannons? I'm pretty sure I've seen people mention that loadout, and it sounds good unless it can't handle the beams, in which case try pulses?

Or do 6 rail guns :unsmigghh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

YellerBill posted:

Gimbal beams in the C2 slots, Multis in the C1 slots.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Winning move, not to play, etc.

Although unless they ramp up the base price of the MkIV several million dollars, this is not something beyond the grognards most likely to complain it not being free.

But if they didn't complain, they wouldn't be grognards, either. :rolldice:

Grognards were already bitching that the Mk4 would make the Mk3 obsolete before anyone knew any of the specs.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

As much as I love my vulture, I really want to move away from it. What would be the next logical step up in a bounty hunting / combat ship?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I preferred 4 small gimballed pulses and 2 medium gimballed multicannons.

The damage penalty for small weapons doesn't apply to shields, so a laser's shield stripping ability isn't hampered that much by being small. With small multicannons you're really getting the worst of both worlds IMO, a damage reduction versus shields and a damage reduction versus medium and larger hulls.

Also, in my experience the constant power drain of beams can sometimes cause multicannons to cut out if you try to fire them all at the same time.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

As much as I love my vulture, I really want to move away from it. What would be the next logical step up in a bounty hunting / combat ship?
In no particular order: FDL, Python, FAS or Clipper?

The Vulture is a real beast though, they might be more sidegrades to be honest.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Federal Assault Ship (~20 million, fed navy rank 5 "Chief Petty Officer")

Python (~50 million)
Fer de Lance (~50 million, has a huge gun)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nelson Mandingo posted:

While I don't consider it an upgrade as much as a "different way to murder things," I'm very fond of the Python for RES stomping. Much more firepower, and it's less stingy with power, which lets you do nice QoL things like run A-class sensors and KWS. The tradeoff is that it's sluggish, less agile and doesn't look as mean. The Vulture is still my favorite ship, but the Python is a nice diversion here and there.

The Python is a wonderful ship in general. Big jack of all trades.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Libluini posted:

Federal Assault Ship (~20 million, fed navy rank 5 "Chief Petty Officer")

Speaking of fed navy ranks, what's a good way to rank up quick? They somehow promoted me to recruit even after I relentlessly shot Fed ships during the war for Gakiutl and I figure I might as well get an FAS while I'm at it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

YellerBill posted:

Speaking of fed navy ranks, what's a good way to rank up quick? They somehow promoted me to recruit even after I relentlessly shot Fed ships during the war for Gakiutl and I figure I might as well get an FAS while I'm at it.

After looking at my list of interesting places, apparently Arexe is good for doing a lot of Federal missions. Should net you the odd rank-up mission, too. Otherwise, good look. While doing my grind to get to "Master", I've got flooded with Federal rank missions I didn't want and when I tried to get FAS I got only to "Petty Officer", while simultaneously getting enough Imperial rank missions to reach Baron.

Just try to do Federal missions for a while and if nothing happens, go to an Imperial system or two and see if you get dozens of Imperial rank-up missions. If yes, go and do Imperial missions for a while and see if that allows you to rank up in Federal systems. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The FAS is basically a straight upgrade from the Vulture with the exception of the shield being rear end but otoh it has tons of spare power for shield boosters and SCBs. More importantly it's also hella fun to fly.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

YellerBill posted:

Arexe if you want to do it by killing pirates, especially if your combat rank is high enough to take the really meaty missions. Tun if you want to slowly go crazy doing it with donations. Sothis offers missions to kill traders, but I didn't really enjoy my time trying this. Someone also mentioned ranking up through long distance smuggling. I did a couple ranks mining in the Frey system, too- a decent number of donations popped up while I was resetting the board looking for painite mining missions, but I wouldn't try to go past the FAS rank this way.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

After 1.5 drops? The FdL or the FAS.

Comedy option: Federal Gunship

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Clipper now and forever

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Clipper now and forever

Unless you want to repair at outposts :V

Buuuuut with Horizons, it may drat well be possible you can just find an airless planet in a populated system with any number of starports that can hook you the gently caress up instead, so times they are a-changing

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

WTB EVE Apocrypha expansion for Elite Dangerous :shepspends:

Spoken like someone who's burning slowboating home and still has about 170 jumps to go :negative:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not at my computer till tomorrow so I dunno about this, but if I get elite on sale on steam do I have an account I make or something to get the discount on horizons?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm not at my computer till tomorrow so I dunno about this, but if I get elite on sale on steam do I have an account I make or something to get the discount on horizons?

You have to make an account to play the game regardless (Steam just loads the same launcher as the standalone game), and you use that same account on the store, at which point it will automatically recognize you as an owner and give you the discount.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You could do Frontier a solid and buy straight from their store, that way they don't have to share revenue with Gaben. Up to you.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Has anyone else been having major problems booting up the game? Even on the 50/50 chance the launcher loads up properly, most of the time I can't access bulletin boards or outfitting. There's been two successful play sessions out of my last 10-15 tries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

froody guy posted:

WTB EVE Apocrypha expansion for Elite Dangerous :shepspends:

Spoken like someone who's burning slowboating home and still has about 170 jumps to go :negative:

It'd be cool if they brought back the old one-shot wirmhole super-hyperdrives used to jump between different "Galaxies"* in the original Elite as a way to cross thousands of Lightyears in one go (but single use, of course).

* I believe this was retconed to being other parts of the milky way and when [ PLOT ] prevented those wormhole drives from working anymore the other "Galaxies" died out due to being isolated/Thargoids.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just picked this game up today. No idea what I'm doing, but it's pretty great. Upgraded to a Viper with lovely lasers and just roam around hoping for high value bounties, working out well so far. Do people in this thread ever play together?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Meridian posted:

Just picked this game up today. No idea what I'm doing, but it's pretty great. Upgraded to a Viper with lovely lasers and just roam around hoping for high value bounties, working out well so far. Do people in this thread ever play together?

Hang out in the IRC channel (see the PGS thread) and you'll find plenty of people to play with. I spent much of yesterday helping some newcomers blast big bounties and trick out their Vipers.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It's also worth noting for veterans that we are using a different irc channel than the old days, since I'm sure some people are coming back for horizons. So just double check the PGS thread.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

So I've been doing some mining lately in a Cobra, and I also love flying my Eagle and Viper for blowing up bounty stuff. What's the next step up for combat ships? I've saved up 6m hard credits so far but I'm sure I'll need a lot more.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

So I've been doing some mining lately in a Cobra, and I also love flying my Eagle and Viper for blowing up bounty stuff. What's the next step up for combat ships? I've saved up 6m hard credits so far but I'm sure I'll need a lot more.

Vulture

You'll need at least 8-9 million for a basic bounty hunter fit. 11 million to really smooth it out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

Vulture

You'll need at least 8-9 million for a basic bounty hunter fit. 11 million to really smooth it out.

Not too bad, actually! Off to the mines!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

$6M will get you a shiny new Vulture with a basic, serviceable loadout. I just made this post in the PGS thread:

Shine posted:

I want to point out real quick for the newcomers that it's by no means necessary to A-class a Vulture to stomp faces with it. If you have $25M to burn, then go for it, but if you have about $6,000,000, then you can buy, outfit and insure a perfectly serviceable Vulture along these lines:

Hull cost: 4,689,640
Retrofit cost (includes trade-in of the stock items): $803,880
Total: $5,493,520

This was basically my first Vulture, and with decent piloting skill and effective chaff/cell use it is more than a match for the RES Anacondas and whatever else. Despite the low outfit cost, it is still an enormous upgrade over the smaller fighters. You'll make so much money RES'ing that you'll easily be able to slap on incremental upgrades.

Don't feel like you have to A-class the Vulture to get use out of it. I promise this cheap build will be much better than your Eagle or whatever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thats still a mere 500k less than I have, not counting my stored ships. Soo I'll need a bit more of a cushion first. But it's not too far off.

At first glance the Vulture seems kinda one-note what with just a pair of hardpoints. But that'll just let me focus on the dogfighting I suppose.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arrath posted:

Thats still a mere 500k less than I have, not counting my stored ships. Soo I'll need a bit more of a cushion first. But it's not too far off.

At first glance the Vulture seems kinda one-note what with just a pair of hardpoints. But that'll just let me focus on the dogfighting I suppose.

Note that if you purchase from Li Yong-Rui space, there's a flat 15% discount on ships and outfitting so you can drop the price further if you have the time to shop around. https://eddb.io lets you sort through stations by power, which can be helpful.

Regarding the hardpoints, keep in mind that those are two large mounts which makes them enormously useful for punching above your weight, since there's no damage penalty against hull size. Twin pulses may sound boring on the face of it but it's a remarkably effective combo when paired with the Vulture's maneuverability and shields.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

It's a one-note ship, but that one note is murdering things and being incredibly fun to fly. The standard, reliable load out is a pair of C3 pulse lasers (though that might change once the armor rework comes out), but you can mix things up a bit when that gets boring. I'm running a C3 beam and C3 fixed cannon right now and it just demolishes larger ships. But those two pulses can eat through any ship in the game right now.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Awesome, an agile little dogfighter that eats things for breakfast sounds right up my alley!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

Awesome, an agile little dogfighter that eats things for breakfast sounds right up my alley!

It's little compared to Clippers and such, but it's plenty large enough to ram the poo poo out of Cobras, Adders and Vipers. :D

And seconding its shielding. It has roughly the same shield strength as a Python, and is a much harder to hit target.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd be cool if they brought back the old one-shot wirmhole super-hyperdrives used to jump between different "Galaxies"* in the original Elite as a way to cross thousands of Lightyears in one go (but single use, of course).
They are introducing single-use jump range extenders in... Horizons, maybe? Part of the new crafting system, I think. Sadly, they only double your jump distance, and I'm not sure whether they stack.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Farting about the local home cluster and took a few shots, thanks Steam Sale for such a pretty (and fun) game. The screenshot camera seems a little finicky so sorry if these suck:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So for those on the pilgrimage to the Corvette, if you still need convincing that Arexe is the way to go, I just finished the grind from rank 7 to rank 8 and kept track of the styles of mission I took to do it. 18 donations, 3 long-distance hauler jobs that each paid around 1mil credits, and then the rest of the effort was 109 missions to kill various things, some in Ceos via Sothis but most in Orrere via Arexe. Zero assassination jobs were taken for this; I'm pretty sure they're the reason rank 6 to rank 7 took so long, because they're so tedious and involved compared to busting a bunch of pirates. I did most of this across several mega sessions of missions, where I spent an hour or two reading a book or browsing the web while slowly stacking up jobs until I had 30-40, and then executing all of those over the course of an hour. For rank 8 to rank 9 I'm going to try and track not just how many kill missions I do, but also sort them by the required combat rank.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

What's a fun Python loadout for RES stomping? Somebody in IRC mentioned that there's a popular loadout anchored by a perma-firing beam, but I forget the rest of the details. I tossed this together but haven't bought it yet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This is how mine's currently built.

Warning: It's not cheap.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

GALNET News posted:

A joint initiative from the Pilots Federation and the Fuel Rats has resulted in a distinctive new colour scheme for search-and-rescue vessels. The livery has been designed to assist with the instant recognition of friendly rescue ships, thereby minimising unintentional attacks and soothing the nerves of those in need of rescue.

The unique colour scheme was created by a member of the Fuel Rats Mischief, an auxiliary of the celebrated volunteer-run rescue service. The designer, who goes by the name of Commander Father Cool, originally intended the livery to be used by the Fuel Rats, but ultimately the Pilots Federation decided it would be more suitable as a colour scheme for dedicated search-and-rescue vessels.

The new paint scheme will soon be seen on search-and-rescue ships throughout inhabited space.

Hmm... sounds like NPC search-and-rescue is coming. Simple background flavoring, or in-game responses to player distress calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shine posted:

What's a fun Python loadout for RES stomping? Somebody in IRC mentioned that there's a popular loadout anchored by a perma-firing beam, but I forget the rest of the details. I tossed this together but haven't bought it yet.

Here's what I'm rolling with (spoilers, it isn't cheap either):
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/06A6A5A4D7A6A5C2b1e1e27270l04000405054f04370358242f.Iw18eQ==.IwBhrSutlUg=?bn=Python

Also I'm rolling a similar build with the FGS which I'm having a lot of success with:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_gunship/06A6A5A5D7A5D4C2b0s0s272724240l020400054f5i242f.Iw18aQ==.AwiMIys8g===?bn=FGS

• Locked thread