Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm getting kinda bored with Kellog's gun. .44 ammo is becoming increasingly scarce since Kleo is the only one who has any, and only ~44 of them at a time.

I'm guessing you don't feel lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gonkish posted:

I found the random doctor that appears and can apparently upgrade your level 3 clinic to level 4.... and uh... she said she'd work for me and then... never showed up at any of my bases. I sent her to Red Rocket but she never showed there, and she's not anywhere else. Does it just take time?

Yeah, she's so bugged she's got a note about it on the wiki already.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Are there any good inventory/storage management mods? My workbench is a nightmare to find items in.
I'd just like a few more categories, like being able to split up the different armor pieces when I only need a helmet, or a scroll bar instead of using the mouse wheel for 30 seconds to get halfway down the list.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Depends posted:

Are there any good inventory/storage management mods? My workbench is a nightmare to find items in.
I'd just like a few more categories, like being able to split up the different armor pieces when I only need a helmet, or a scroll bar instead of using the mouse wheel for 30 seconds to get halfway down the list.

There's one that adds item category in front of the name like

[ammo] .38
[B.Head] Perception Bobblehead
[Food] Radroach Meat

that sort of thing

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/897/

e: I have no personal experience with this mod, it modifies the same files as the full dialogue thing and I wanted that more than sorting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Deliverer really has to be just about the best gun in the game outside of crazy random drops people find. That thing is still crazy good even though I have had it for like 30 hours worth of playtime. It absolutely burns through ammo though.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

titties posted:

What are the prereqs for the butcher's bill quest? The doctor doesn't have any quests for me, just barter and healing. I have completed the first MILA placement. PAM still just talks about all processes are currently busy.

If I remember right, Boston After Dark is from Deacon but I can't complete it because the "secure the meeting site" objective is just inside the area of the map that is bugged out in my game and the whole thing crashes when I get inside 25 hud compass distance units.

You may have to advance the main quest a bit, there are a number of faction quests that won't appear until you do including the one from PAM.

Azhais posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/897/

e: I have no personal experience with this mod, it modifies the same files as the full dialogue thing and I wanted that more than sorting

There's a compatible version in the optional files for that mod that has consistently kept up with updates so far. It's not a bad mod, although it needs work on sorting in a manner that's actually helpful and the fact that there's no real way to sort armor/weapons makes shop menus kind of meh.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Does difficulty increase the quality of legendary items? The game says legendary rate, but I play on Normal and you can't spit without hitting Legendary bandits/Gunners/whatevers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think Survival made sure I was getting more legendary combat shotguns than pipe rifles, but I have no hard evidence to back it up.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Does difficulty increase the quality of legendary items? The game says legendary rate, but I play on Normal and you can't spit without hitting Legendary bandits/Gunners/whatevers.

Crabtree posted:

I think Survival made sure I was getting more legendary combat shotguns than pipe rifles, but I have no hard evidence to back it up.

I've only been playing Survival and am about 50 hours in, level 35. I'd say there's a Legendary enemy for each decent-size pack of enemies or large interior room/area, most any significant fights will involve one Legendary and sometimes two.

Quality is hard to say because I have no real comparison but I assume it scales with level to some extent. So on Survival at level 30 you're getting a higher frequency of Legendaries and they're scaled to level 30 so will generally be higher end weapons and armor. I think?

I've gotten +1 AGI/PER, +1 CHA/INT and +2 Luck for most armor slots as well as run speed for both legs and one chameleon (invisible when crouched and not moving) enchants.

Kind of poo poo for luck for weapons. Got a double-damage on max health sniper rifle which has been one of my main weapons forever, otherwise nothing cool like double-shot or explosive shot. Lots of terrible bonuses against specific enemy types. Ain't no one got time or can be bothered to manage multiple sets of gear for different enemy types.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Seashell Salesman posted:

I haven't seen the movie. The description in the book is pretty long but this is my favorite bit:
drat, those are some good eyes to recognize truck springs

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crabtree posted:

On the other hand I 've gone 50 levels as a melee character without finding a single randomly generated melee weapon worth using. Oh cool, a nocturnal rolling pin. What an amazing find :geno:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The Silver Shroud quest is great, and I stumbed across a few X-01 pieces during it too. It's too bad the actual armor doesn't really stack up to five pieces of combat armor mods with their SPECIAL boosts and pockets so I can care 65 pounds more than I otherwise could.

That's pretty much my problem with the normal armor, there could be no stats on it at all and it wouldn't make a difference.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I've been playing on survival and it seems like maybe 1 in 50 Legendaries are actually useful. You want as many legendary monsters as possible because most of the time you get legendary canes and rolling pins and argh.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Noyemi K posted:

I'm guessing you don't feel lucky?

I have points in Scrounger and I barely ever find .44, I have almost infinite everything else

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I took scrounger just for fusion cells and I still have to buy them because I never see fusion cells in any containers. At least more ammo essentially means more caps though.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Jay Rust posted:

So what's the lore reasons behind all the mannequins anywhere?

fallout boston is full of creeps and perverts

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

I took scrounger just for fusion cells and I still have to buy them because I never see fusion cells in any containers. At least more ammo essentially means more caps though.

Looks like were in the opposite direction as I can't seem to not find a building with at least one container of like 5 fusion cores and Gauss Rifle ammo with one rank of Scrounger, but no legendary weapons or armor I'd care for.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Looks like were in the opposite direction as I can't seem to not find a building with at least one container of like 5 fusion cores and Gauss Rifle ammo with one rank of Scrounger, but no legendary weapons or armor I'd care for.

I have two ranks in Scrounger and it's pretty much taken care of all my ammo issues, I think Fusion Cores only started showing up around mid-level though. I want to say I started finding them in my 20s, pop open an ammo box and 4 fusion cores ok!!

Edit: all of the enemy type-specific bonuses are pretty useless and not well thought out imo. It's so easy to completely trivialize the combat in this game, and the carry weight restriction and inventory management would make it a pain in the dick to cart around and switch out some Mutant or bug/Mirelurk gear when applicable. Like, you could do it, it's just super fiddly and overkill.

Unfortunately the enemy-specific stuff is very common so most of my Legendary drops I either leave on the ground or sell if they're worth a few hundred caps.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 29, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am playing a rpg inside a rpg and doing so while using giant power-hamhands.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Melee weapon progression kinda stops after getting a ripper/super sledge. Both are pretty much 1 hit kills, although ripper technically hits several times but still.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm around level 40 and plasma weapons have been exceedingly rare in my game. I've picked up two from dead Gunner enemies and those are the only two I've ever seen. No vendors carry them, not even the BoS trader who carries gatling lasers and gauss rifles. Is this normal?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Definitely not. I remember buying a basic plasma pistol from the weapon dealer in Diamond City.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Geokinesis posted:

Melee weapon progression kinda stops after getting a ripper/super sledge. Both are pretty much 1 hit kills, although ripper technically hits several times but still.

Looking forward to a chainsaw mod with extended range and damage and just playing a whole game with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm around level 40 and plasma weapons have been exceedingly rare in my game. I've picked up two from dead Gunner enemies and those are the only two I've ever seen. No vendors carry them, not even the BoS trader who carries gatling lasers and gauss rifles. Is this normal?
Same. I've only found a handful, and not enough ammo to justify trying them when I've got 2k .50 cal rounds. 2mm and .44 are even rarer though.

Three points in the ammo perk.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Anyone else come across the Raider party who ambush you and stop if you're travelling with Valentine because they know each other? Real cool, I love the follower interactions in this game, still blew the Raider's head off though, finish what you start.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Republicans posted:

Looking forward to a chainsaw mod with extended range and damage and just playing a whole game with it.

It's called rank 2 blitz.

Also, I've found a Chinese Officer's Sword with the Electro+Serrated upgrade out damages the super sledge and is easier to use in VATS than the Ripper. You can buy a nice unique/legendary one with +50% damage to robots from the lady at the Drumlin Diner for cheap. (Kremvh's tooth does comparable damage, but as poison/bleed rather than electric/bleed.)

Speaking of Kremvh's Tooth though, what sort of affix should I be keeping an eye out for a Machete with to attach that to? I found a Berserker's Machete, and, well, with rank 5 Ballistic Weave that's a very bad idea. It might be a good companion weapon for someone like Nick I guess?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

With how power armor works, explosive rounds being a thing legendary weapons can have and chainsaw weapons already in the game the inevitable Warhammer 40k mods will probably be pretty rad.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

coyo7e posted:

drat, those are some good eyes to recognize truck springs

Leaf spring suspensions from trucks are a common source of high quality foraged metal for blades--the Gurkha kukri is the most famous example that comes to mind. Comes in flat plates that can be forged or stamped, flexible, strong...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Anyone else come across the Raider party who ambush you and stop if you're travelling with Valentine because they know each other? Real cool, I love the follower interactions in this game, still blew the Raider's head off though, finish what you start.
I was doing a quest last night with Strong following me and he got really pissed off and started hollering poo poo from the peanut gallery about how strong would not submit to any hyoo-man bullshit, was pretty funny. I wish he didn't get pissy every time I touch a computer terminal or pick a lock, and that he didn't look identical to every other loving mutant in the game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

King Bahamut posted:

Leaf spring suspensions from trucks are a common source of high quality foraged metal for blades--the Gurkha kukri is the most famous example that comes to mind. Comes in flat plates that can be forged or stamped, flexible, strong...
drat, you got good eyes son

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Modern mass-produced spring steel is significantly superior to anything a master smith could do with a charcoal forge.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Lone Badger posted:

Modern mass-produced spring steel is significantly superior to anything a master smith could do with a charcoal forge.
which is how you can spot it at distance, after it's been pounded into the shape of a spearhead. got it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
These last few posts are the best in this thread.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The super sledge sucks in this game. :( It's really easy to block, takes too long to swing, and doesn't do much DPS. So much for the melee strategy in FO3 and FNV. Any melee tips from people who have done a build? I'm trying to get the tooth thing right now, but there's a raider in power armor and it's pretty hopeless without using guns, even with 3 perks in big leagues.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 29, 2015

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

coyo7e posted:

which is how you can spot it at distance, after it's been pounded into the shape of a spearhead. got it

yes, that is how.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Volkerball posted:

The super sledge sucks in this game. :( It's really easy to block, takes too long too long to swing, and doesn't do much DPS. So much for the melee strategy in FO3 and FNV. Any melee tips from people who have done a build? I'm trying to get the tooth thing right now, but there's a raider in power armor and it's pretty hopeless without using guns, even with 3 perks in big leagues.

Well, I'm doing a melee build with sneak and ninja. Even though I end up hitting pretty soft opening with a bunch of damage (currently 5.5x) is usually good enough except on really tough guys or packs of foes. I'm using that Chinese sword that kills robots you buy from that diner close to Red Rocket.

If you're not doing a sneak melee build then you probably need at least 10 END to not get gibbed instantly.

I'm playing on Survival difficulty.

But for groups of enemies, yeah. It's hard. I had raiders attack one of my towns (2 people, no defenses) and it was a legendary raider, 3 raiders with missiles launchers (dead in one hit for sure) and a couple others. I had to reload a save probably 5 times before I beat them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has anyone tried playing around with the timescale? I'm thinking of turning it to 20 (which I think was the Skyrim default) but wasn't sure if it'd mess anything up.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
"Have you had sex with anything nonhuman?" the physician asks me.

"No," I say. "No," I repeat, my ghoul boyfriend standing back and to the left of me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Let's not pretend the protag did anything but cuddle in those dirty wasteland beds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Does the plasma sniper barrel have the same weird charge mechanic as the laser one?

• Locked thread