Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

The New Hampshire Union Leader, which used to be the most coveted endorsement in the Republican primary, gets behind the Christie campaign.

(They endorsed Newt in 2012. He did not win New Hampshire.)
So they just pulled a name out of a hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Michael Corleone posted:

I can't believe how excited I am about Trump! Going to make America Great Again! No irony, I honestly don't know why liberals post in this thread, we don't post in yours.

Hillary already won the dem primary. This thread is much more entertaining.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Montasque posted:

Few questions if you don't mind.

1. What state are you working in?
2. How many volunteers do you work with?
3. What is morale like around the office?
4. Have you met the Jeb! himself?

In on the ground floor after everyone jumped ship, I just call from home for now. I am in Ohio, so I could do some real poo poo if he makes it to the general/ is still in the primary on 3/15. Basically just trying to get involved in politics, and I like W and Herbert. I signed up to travel to all the states that he had listed, I bet I could meet him then! But, I work from home/internet so can do it if asked. Gotta do it!

e; I would like to be on a winning campaign, but I am no backstabber like Marco... things will change, I am so excited for JEB!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Hillary already won the dem primary.

Tell that to the Bernie thread. The poor, poor Bernie thread.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I'm not even sure what GOP trolling of the Dem thread would look like.

It's probably as dull for them as this thread would be for us if Jeb! were leading by 30 points.

That thread gets angry old grandpa shouting about how back in his day we could use the Post Office as a bank and we liked it, dammit," this thread gets angry old grandpa telling you "This country was great before the Mexicans and Muslims got here and by God it can be great again." If the former were winning at the moment, it'd be a much easier thread for mocking.

In an actual serious comparison between the two races, it does highlight one of the biggest differences between them, the large field vs small field and what that means. Over here, Trump has ~30% and that's enough for a commanding lead. Over there, Sanders has ~35% and that's enough to be getting demolished by a twenty-point plus lead. Sanders has the loyalty of a larger share of the Democratic electorate than Trump has the GOP electorate, but in an effectively two way race (sorry, O'Malley) that isn't going to cut it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Patter Song posted:

I'm not even sure what GOP trolling of the Dem thread would look like.

It's probably as dull for them as this thread would be for us if Jeb! were leading by 30 points.

That thread gets angry old grandpa shouting about how back in his day we could use the Post Office as a bank and we liked it, dammit," this thread gets angry old grandpa telling you "This country was great before the Mexicans and Muslims got here and by God it can be great again." If the former were winning at the moment, it'd be a much easier thread for mocking.

In an actual serious comparison between the two races, it does highlight one of the biggest differences between them, the large field vs small field and what that means. Over here, Trump has ~30% and that's enough for a commanding lead. Over there, Sanders has ~35% and that's enough to be getting demolished by a twenty-point plus lead. Sanders has the loyalty of a larger share of the Democratic electorate than Trump has the GOP electorate, but in an effectively two way race (sorry, O'Malley) that isn't going to cut it.

True, the GOP field will thin out after NH. But, as a DEM, what do you think the ticket will look like? Does O'Malley have a chance at VP or is Hillary giving it to Cuomo? Or would she take Bernie on, can't really do that with them both being so old though.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Michael Corleone posted:

True, the GOP field will thin out after NH. But, as a DEM, what do you think the ticket will look like? Does O'Malley have a chance at VP or is Hillary giving it to Cuomo? Or would she take Bernie on, can't really do that with them both being so old though.

That's really a question for the other thread, but I will point out that whomever it ends up being, it won't be Cuomo. The "a state can't vote for a ticket with two candidates from that state" rule would mean that Clinton would have to pull silly shenanigans like running as "Hillary Clinton of Arkansas" and it's really not worth it to her to do that.

I feel that that is a point fit for this thread because the "no doubling down on a VP from your state" rule applies to this primary too. No Jeb!/Rubio or Rubio/Jeb!, sorry guys.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Patter Song posted:

I feel that that is a point fit for this thread because the "no doubling down on a VP from your state" rule applies to this primary too. No Jeb!/Rubio or Rubio/Jeb!, sorry guys.

I was actually not aware of this. No wonder Jeb was so willing to go for the throat, and why Rubio was so merciless with his counterattack. Nothing to gain by the other doing well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I was actually not aware of this. No wonder Jeb was so willing to go for the throat, and why Rubio was so merciless with his counterattack. Nothing to gain by the other doing well.

There's precedent for doing some sketchy dodging of it. Bush/Cheney had Cheney (who had lived in Texas for over a decade) run as Richard Cheney of Wyoming despite not living in Wyoming for 15 years at the time.

The rule also doesn't say that the ticket can't run, just that a state can't vote for it. If Republicans wanted to concede Florida for no reason, they could do Jeb/Rubio.

EDIT:

Amendment XII posted:

The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 29, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In practice you could get around that requirement in a variety of creative ways, but honestly the purpose of the Vice President is to get votes from a different region of the country, or appeal to a different demographic. So even without that law, you wouldn't ever have a Jeb/Rubio ticket in the first place.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I am totally excited about Jeb!'s impeding resignation from the campaign. And so is Jeb!.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm holding out strongly for a Clinton/Castro ticket. It makes sense, he is young, male, and hispanic. He is also a rising star in the democratic party, and you get two for the price of one. You can't beat those Black Friday deals.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Watching Jeb's campaign limp to a primary it's destined to lose is my real christmas present

thank you santa

:glomp:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think Julian Castro is probably the strongest contender for the Vice Presidency.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, I've also long thought it was super likely that Castro will be Clinton's running mate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That sets up a Castro/Castro run in '24 too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

hobbesmaster posted:

That sets up a Castro/Castro run in '24 too.

I don't want to do this summit with Putin today. Can't you do it for me, Joaquin?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess AG is the more traditional position for your brother.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
In a massive political turn of events, Joaquin Castro has defected to the Republican Party and is currently the front-runner for the Republican nomination. It's the US's Miliband fiasco with Castro vs. Castro.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Michael Corleone posted:

I can't believe how excited I am about Trump! Going to make America Great Again! No irony, I honestly don't know why liberals post in this thread, we don't post in yours.

we don't post in it either as it is an incredibly bad thread

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Patter Song posted:

The rule also doesn't say that the ticket can't run, just that a state can't vote for it. If Republicans wanted to concede Florida for no reason, they could do Jeb/Rubio.
Would they have to concede Florida? Or couldn't Jeb just have another Florida-only running mate, and then have the Senate elect Rubio if need be?

I forget, do tie-breaker votes happen before or after the new Congress sits?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 29, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
To pivot back to Republican Primary Chat, Castro as the Dem VP nominee makes a lot of sense as a kind of counter against Rubio, and a great gently caress you to the Trump wing of the party.

A Clinton/Castro ticket would cause a lot of pain and anguish for the base. They see Castro as a radical who wants to transform America and make it Mexico, and Clinton hate is just ingrained at this point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wonder which Republican wished on a monkey's paw in 1995, and how exactly they worded it, to ensure that 20 years later the Democratic Party would be defined by people named Hussein, Castro, and Clinton, while the Republicans reclaimed the Reagan legacy through the Bush dynasty.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I've been talking more with a friend that I went to SDA school with and she told me her Ben Carson story.

quote:

A dear friend of mine, a very intelligent, hardy, take-no-poo poo kind of guy whom I respect asks me the other day if I know much about this Ben Carson fellow. "Oh, do I know about Ben Carson? Let me tell you about Ben Carson. When my Mom converted to his Seventh Day Adventist religion, it taught her that demons and magic are real, and that we must guard ourselves from them. Also, movies themselves are suspect. So all my Disney VHS tapes? Pitched. Including my favorites, Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and Fantasia. All depict mythical beings or magic and are therefore evil. We were left with about 5 tapes, one of which we got from the ABC, a copy of the film version/documentary of the Ben Carson biography, Gifted Hands. Didn't really have TV, just a few local stations and public broadcasting. So I saw that movie over, and over, and over again. Yes, I know about Ben Carson."
I then went into the core beliefs of the church, as he was unfamiliar. There was a lot of laughing, and shock, and then hugs, because no one should have to be subjected to that as a child. At the end, he paid me the highest compliment by saying, "I am completely amazed that you've come out of that as normal as you are. I would probably still be a shivering mass on the floor."
Totally made my day, if not my year.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
And the first GOP candidate to denounce the Planned Parenthood shooting is....

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/11/28/cruz-condemns-planned-parenthood-shooting-colorado/

Ted Cruz... Really?

quote:

"“We don’t know ... what those motives were, but whatever they were, it’s unacceptable, and it’s horrific and wrong,” the Republican presidential hopeful told reporters here before a town hall.

"I have spent much of my adult life working in law enforcement, working against murderers and those who commit violent crime, and that one officer lost his life is particularly tragic," Cruz said.

Pretty lame statement, but it's not sitting well with some in his base. Freepers believe that this was a bank robbery gone wrong, and that the LIEBRAL MEDIA are spinning this into something it's not, and wanted Ted Cruz to call them out on it...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

The New Hampshire Union Leader, which used to be the most coveted endorsement in the Republican primary, gets behind the Christie campaign.

(They endorsed Newt in 2012. He did not win New Hampshire.)

"CHRIS CHRISTIE ENDORSED BY UNION LEADER" ain't something that wins a Republican primary since '68, Joe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Although, I really would like to hear Trump's opinion on Bridgegate. Seems lime Trump knows whats really up in Jersey.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

So supposedly that Planned Parenthood shooter was talking about baby parts after he put down his gun.

I mean nobody's going to outright say it but Carly Fiorina pretty much got those people killed because of her lies. :staredog:

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 29, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol arrest her for inciting terrorism

im against me having an abortion. i feel very strongly that i should never have an abortion

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/11/28/cruz-condemns-planned-parenthood-shooting-colorado/

Ted Cruz... Really?

Pretty lame statement, but it's not sitting well with some in his base. Freepers believe that this was a bank robbery gone wrong, and that the LIEBRAL MEDIA are spinning this into something it's not, and wanted Ted Cruz to call them out on it...

”too bad those cops got shot huh? Oh well kill the gays vote Cruz 2016!”

He wouldn't even denounce it beyond the cop specifically and he's still getting skewered, no wonder the GOP is terrified to speak out about it.

Also if there were a bank robbery wouldn't there be like, any evidence at all of a bank robbery at this point as opposed to not one single word from anybody at all including the bank employees?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FIRST TIME posted:

So supposedly that Planned Parenthood shooter was talking about baby parts after he put down his gun.

I mean nobody's going to outright say it but Carly Fiorina pretty much got those people killed because of her lies. :staredog:
Net worth too low for them to be considered fully human, Fiorina will feel no guilt

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

Ted Cruz... Really?

What.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
planned parenthood is flush with cash from selling all those dead baby brains

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
So looks like I have to be the one to point this out, but Mike Huckabee had a Mike Mini-me removed from his Mike Hucka-Knee:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the trump thread is essentially the republican thread. this is the liberals making fun of republicans thread. the other thread is a burning garbage pile

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the trump thread is the right thread

this is everyone, conservatives, liberals making fun of the republicans in a delightfully ironic and visceral way.

the democrat thread is filled with political non-entities who don't matter. They aren't in employment, education or training. They don't have wives or girlfriends. They are outsiders, worthless outsiders. Essentially human debris.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
And their lovely thread is spiralling down down down ever down into a gunchat thread.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
This isn't the Trump thread? Maybe it should be, he's the only good topic in it/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

babypolis posted:

. the other thread is a burning garbage pile

its not their fault you posted in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Skellybones posted:

This isn't the Trump thread? Maybe it should be, he's the only good topic in it/

tell that to the cruz missile and the pyramids of grain

• Locked thread