Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I read the OP and didn't see anything directly mentioning this - But would this thread be the place for me to ask Why the heck my 1080p 60fps gameplay footage renders out of Sony Vegas at 1080p 60fps render settings and looks slightly worse than it did going in? and what the hell am I doing wrong?

There's basically no way to make it look exactly the same quality as the source footage. The source footage was recorded with either a very high bitrate (nvidia shadowplay, most game capture devices for consoles) or completely losslessly (Fraps, dxtory or open broadcaster software with the appropriate options checked). In order to make that a reasonable filesize and/or one singular video clip, it has to be compressed in some way and with video editing programs this is done by reducing the bitrate. If you want to make the end video be higher quality, increase the bitrate and it'll be clearer (at the expense of the file being larger and longer rendering times). But making the output look exactly like the source is a bit unfeasible. It's not necessarily impossible, but it's not worth the time/filesize/upload rate/etc.

That said, it really depends on what you mean by 'slightly worse'. What are your rendering settings? Do you mean literally in terms of quality, or blurring/interlacing/visual tearing? Because if it's the latter, Vegas has a few issues that cause that which you can solve pretty easily.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

CJacobs posted:

(nvidia shadowplay,

Bingo.

CJacobs posted:

That said, it really depends on what you mean by 'slightly worse'. What are your rendering settings? Do you mean literally in terms of quality, or blurring/interlacing/visual tearing? Because if it's the latter, Vegas has a few issues that cause that which you can solve pretty easily.

As in -

Source video frame: http://i.imgur.com/XTPhCup.jpg

Rendered video frame: http://i.imgur.com/GyjqdbM.jpg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hmm. The colors being washed out just a bit is normal for rendering because of compression (though Vegas tends to crush darker colors instead of washing out lighter ones), but it shouldn't be that bad. Are you rendering it as an mp4? And are you using Vegas Pro or Vegas Movie Studio? It'll be easier to diagnose if you just screencap your render settings window. :v:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Hmm. The colors being washed out just a bit is normal for rendering because of compression (though Vegas tends to crush darker colors instead of washing out lighter ones), but it shouldn't be that bad. Are you rendering it as an mp4? And are you using Vegas Pro or Vegas Movie Studio? It'll be easier to diagnose if you just screencap your render settings window. :v:

Vegas Pro 12.0

Settings:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Try rendering with similar settings, but with "MainConcept AVC/AAC" instead of "Sony AVC". It uses a different rendering... uh... style? system? I don't know the word for it, but it outputs an mp4 in the same way, but using a different compression method. Sony AVC's method might be what's causing the off colors.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Try rendering with similar settings, but with "MainConcept AVC/AAC" instead of "Sony AVC". It uses a different rendering... uh... style? system? I don't know the word for it, but it outputs an mp4 in the same way, but using a different compression method. Sony AVC's method might be what's causing the off colors.

My only issue with that is that it seems to limit to only 30fps from what I can see - I choose the following:

And no 60fps option. It confuses me.

edit: jesus christ you can just type into the field...

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can type in the box, and it'll render at whatever you put in, so just type 60.0 and it'll render at that. I render with MainConcept AVC/ACC and I had to do the same. It's weird that they allow that without just putting it in the drop down menu to begin with, but at least it works.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You can type in the box, and it'll render at whatever you put in, so just type 60.0 and it'll render at that. I render with MainConcept AVC/ACC and I had to do the same. It's weird that they allow that without just putting it in the drop down menu to begin with, but at least it works.

Giving it a go now, hopefully this will sort it out.

Only just started capturing at 1080p / 60fps - So basically re-jiggering everything I used to use to try and maintain something close to that for the sake of youtube uploads.

Edit: Well that definitely fixed the colours. The quality is still kind of the same. But at this point I should be able to play with the settings some more because this seems to be the right path. Thanks Cjacobs! Always loved your posts in the TF2 thread in the yesteryears.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 25, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool, glad I could help. As for the general quality, your bitrate is fine but you might want to look into this deinterlacing batch script. Since Sony Vegas is meant for editing live action video, it does this interlacing blur thing on video clips to make them look more smooth when they have a variable framerate. With real life footage this works... okay, I guess. But video game footage is 2 dimensional and everything on screen has a hard edge (even stuff that is anti aliased), so the blur looks super ugly and does nothing but increase your render time because it re-renders a bunch of stuff.

If you hit ctrl+a before you render your video and run that script, it'll set this option in the properties section of all of your video clips:

Automatically, without you having to do it yourself.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Could a mod remove the "Now recruiting" part from the title of my Spellcross thread? I don't want people coming in thinking signups are still open and getting disappointed.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

CJacobs posted:

Cool, glad I could help. As for the general quality, your bitrate is fine but you might want to look into this deinterlacing batch script. Since Sony Vegas is meant for editing live action video, it does this interlacing blur thing on video clips to make them look more smooth when they have a variable framerate. With real life footage this works... okay, I guess. But video game footage is 2 dimensional and everything on screen has a hard edge (even stuff that is anti aliased), so the blur looks super ugly and does nothing but increase your render time because it re-renders a bunch of stuff.

If you hit ctrl+a before you render your video and run that script, it'll set this option in the properties section of all of your video clips:

Automatically, without you having to do it yourself.
I think you can also just not have Vegas interlace, though I think it's under some weird header (I think it's 'field order').

Polybius91 posted:

Could a mod remove the "Now recruiting" part from the title of my Spellcross thread? I don't want people coming in thinking signups are still open and getting disappointed.
You can probably hit up Geop, JordanKai, or Fedule directly and they'll fix it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Niggurath posted:

You can probably hit up Geop, JordanKai, or Fedule directly and they'll fix it.

Yeah, I'm not sure any of the mods really read this thread. I suppose someone with Platinum could report your post to get a mod's attention but I think just contacting them directly (see the rules thread for how to do that) would be the best method.

Edit: Oh, hey, none of them have contact information past PMs listed. Can you PM a mod without Platinum?

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 25, 2015

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure any of the mods really read this thread.
GET DUNKED ON, PUNK :smugdog:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
But you're still Kuvo, so my point stands. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Xenoveritas posted:

But you're still Kuvo, so my point stands. :colbert:

Kuvo is Geop, though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I live in a hosed up weirdo upside-down land where a ribbon mic is cheaper than the Blue Yeti. What do I need to know before plugging it into my front mic port?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Don't plug it into a port with phantom power if you don't want it to go kaput. Aside from that, nothing really notable.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Well, I'm pretty sure the Xonar DGX doesn't do phantom power so I guess I'm in the clear! :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a capture card for Christmas, but for various reasons, I don't exactly have the ideal setup monitor-wise. A bit of googling turned up the Elgato HD60 Pro, which apparently doesn't have the delay that makes it unsuitable to play your console from the monitor of the computer you're recording on, and that really, really sounds good to me.

So my question is: does anyone have an HD60 Pro and is it suitable for recording console games with nothing more than a computer and monitor?

So, nobody's used that capture card then? :shobon:

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Saw the thread title's been changed, thanks!

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, nobody's used that capture card then? :shobon:

If you've got a PCIe 8x slot I've actually completely turned around on Avermedia and will actually recommend the HD DVR PCI-Express version nowadays. The software was the big problem and has improved alot since I got the card three years ago

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mico posted:

If you've got a PCIe 8x slot I've actually completely turned around on Avermedia and will actually recommend the HD DVR PCI-Express version nowadays. The software was the big problem and has improved alot since I got the card three years ago

Link? Google's kind of all over the place and I'm not sure if I'm lookin' at the right thing.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Link? Google's kind of all over the place and I'm not sure if I'm lookin' at the right thing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100049

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All right, maybe this is just me being dense, but do you have any idea how long that 36% off is going to last? Or are they just representing their usual price?

EDIT: And in the interest of idiot-proofing, is there some kind of adapter I can get if I only have 16x slots?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 29, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

One more question: I know there's a way of bypassing HDCP with ElGato cards that involves using an HDMI splitter. Does the same holkd true for this card?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

EDIT: And in the interest of idiot-proofing, is there some kind of adapter I can get if I only have 16x slots?

One of the amazing things about PCI-E is that any PCI-E card size can work in any PCI-E slot size (Although the smaller slots have to be slightly modified to accept the larger cards). The hardware rating just lists the minimum size for full operation. And the 16x slot is the same size as the 8x slot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Major_JF posted:

One of the amazing things about PCI-E is that any PCI-E card size can work in any PCI-E slot size (Although the smaller slots have to be slightly modified to accept the larger cards). The hardware rating just lists the minimum size for full operation. And the 16x slot is the same size as the 8x slot.

Haha yeah, I've since figured that much out.

Also Mico, the card you linked just requires a 1x slot. :psyduck:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
When I had this in a 1x slot I had horrific audio desync

Putting it in an 8x slot solved the problem. IIRC dish had the same problem & solution.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mico posted:

When I had this in a 1x slot I had horrific audio desync

Putting it in an 8x slot solved the problem. IIRC dish had the same problem & solution.

Oh cool, so it should work great with a 16x slot then. Thanks Mico, you've made my Christmas. :buddy:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 29, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
For reference, AVerMedia keeps renaming that part and getting really confusing.

You used to have to go https://www.avermedia-global.com instead of https://www.avermedia-usa.com to download the driver, because they had a really old one on the USA website. It used to be the "AverTV DVR", then the "MTV-DVR", and it seems they've finally rebranded it to the "DarkCrystal HD Capture Pro".

The included software is still a piece of poo poo, but it's usable enough. Make sure you grab it from their new, new, new website, since whatever's in the box is guaranteed to be at least four years old.

http://www.avermedia.com/consumer/download/darkcrystal_hd_capture_pro#ans_part

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I started having an issue with ElgatoHD today and it's driving me bonkers. Every few minutes, OBS loses connection with the Elgato and has to re-establish it. On the other hand, if I use GameCaptureHD, it locks my PS3 recording to 720p and 30FPS, whereas I want it at 720p and 60FPS. Despite setting "Allow 60FPS", it just refuses to record it at that speed, so I can't use it as an alternative.

Tried updating GameCapture HD software. Updated OBS. Nada. Never had this happen before.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What game are you trying to record? There's a good chance that game can't do 60 fps.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Is your PS3 outputting to the TV at 1080p? I know the WiiU can't record at 720p60 if it's set to display 1080p, try telling it to display at 720p.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm recording Ninja Gaiden Sigma which is at 60FPS. I'll have to check whether the TV is defaulting to 1080 when I get home from work. A firmware update might have messed it up, since I don't recall having this problem with El Shaddai which was also 60FPS.

I made OBS behave (somehow), but it's still capping recordings at 30.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm all of a sudden having issues getting Dxtory to record. The FPS counter is showing up in the upper left of the game, but pressing the record key isn't making it start recording. The screenshot key seems to work.

It seems like everything otherwise is working, it has the correct image name in the process list and everything. I tried changing the recording key to a bunch of different ones, in case having it on Pause/Break suddenly broke for some reason, but it didn't matter.

I even ticked the "Start Movie Capture When Detected" box, but it's not recording when the process launches either so it's clearly not just the key. Are there any known issues with multiple monitors or anything? DXTory hooks directly into the process so it doesn't seem like it should.

The only thing that I think has changed since my last recording is I got a second monitor.

E: I have room on my recording drive too, so it's not that.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Jsor posted:

I'm all of a sudden having issues getting Dxtory to record. The FPS counter is showing up in the upper left of the game, but pressing the record key isn't making it start recording. The screenshot key seems to work.

It seems like everything otherwise is working, it has the correct image name in the process list and everything. I tried changing the recording key to a bunch of different ones, in case having it on Pause/Break suddenly broke for some reason, but it didn't matter.

I even ticked the "Start Movie Capture When Detected" box, but it's not recording when the process launches either so it's clearly not just the key. Are there any known issues with multiple monitors or anything? DXTory hooks directly into the process so it doesn't seem like it should.

The only thing that I think has changed since my last recording is I got a second monitor.

E: I have room on my recording drive too, so it's not that.

Do you have any other language inputs installed? Switching to another one accidentally could explain why the hotkey's not working.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Not sure if this is quite the right place, but here goes.

We're currently trying to record using a laptop, the only capture card I've used before was an internal one on a desktop PC, which sadly isn't really an option here.

Our end-game scenario is having OBS record/stream WiiU footage, but I really don't know dickshit all about capture card hardware :saddowns: Can anyone recommend a good device? Not sure how necessary it is, but here's the specs of the laptop we'll be recording to.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Danaru posted:

Can anyone recommend a good device?

The only one I'm familiar with is the Elgato, and it's a CPU hog. I initially tried using my laptop too, with pretty similar specs to yours (same RAM, but dual-core instead of quad), and it captured 480p just fine but chugged at 720. It ran into the "gradual desync" problem the Game Capture HD has when your computer can't run it optimally. I think the integrated video card hurt too, since that's putting even more load on your memory.

That's not to say it won't work, some streamers do use laptops and 2 more cores goes a long way. What's the max RAM capacity on that thing? If you can upgrade to 8 or especially 16, that'd help immensely.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I used an Elgato with my laptop before I built a PC and even sometime after I built it since I had some gross desync with my footage before I got a GTX 760. My laptop was even weaker than yours and I was able to get decent 1080p footage recorded from it so yours might be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Lacedaemonius posted:

Do you have any other language inputs installed? Switching to another one accidentally could explain why the hotkey's not working.

I do have a Japanese IME, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

Anyway, turns out the answer was "nuke the Dxtory install and reinstall it."