Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Help Im Alive posted:

I played the game instead of watching the anime but is there any other cool time travel stuff like Steins;Gate (I think the only one I've seen is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + I've read Qualia the Purple)

The second Gintama movie.

Though it's probably not the best thing to watch first if you're totally new to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
e: Thanks Awful for the double post.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zipang has time travel. ymmv on the quality

tatami galaxy isn't really time travel, but it has a lot of the same themes of repeating something over and over until you fix it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

tatami galaxy isn't really time travel, but it has a lot of the same themes of repeating something over and over until you fix it

Higurashi no naku koro ni also does this. YMMV yet again though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel like it's kind of a spoiler but Madoka is the best show you haven't mentioned that involves time travel.

Davincie posted:

I've seen these and a little Haruhi but I thought the time travel stuff in that was the endless eight thing people complained about

Also I haven't seen any Gintama

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Help Im Alive posted:

I've seen these and a little Haruhi but I thought the time travel stuff in that was the endless eight thing people complained about

Also I haven't seen any Gintama

Haruhi has a lot of loops, though I think only two are done in the anime.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wanna watch Ghost in the Shell again but I've watched everything enough many times already. Is it just me or has the amount of insufferably serious scifi anime decreased over the years? I dunno, I just can't name anything like Ergo Proxy or Texhnolyze that's come out since the noughties.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Droyer posted:

Someone find that gif with the girl stabbing herself in the temple.

I think Noein has time travel.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
noein is more many-world hypothesis

noein's good, hakodate's a really nice town to visit, though mt hakodate was a disappointment because of weather and it was way too crowded. the place got redeveloped, it looks totally different to the shots from the show

goryokaku's really cool though

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Davincie posted:

zipang has time travel. ymmv on the quality

Droyer posted:

Both of these series are a couple of my guilty pleasures. Zipang has a certain number of :tviv: moments (and I'm Navy, anyway), and despite Higurashi's really bad Deen adaptation, I liked the concept so much, the execution wasn't so much of a hindrance. (Still no Steins;Gate, though.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 29, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Both of these series are a couple of my guilty pleasures. Zipang has a certain number of :tviv: moments (and I'm Navy, anyway), and despite Higurashi's really bad Deen adaptation, I liked the concept so much, the execution wasn't so much of a hindrance. (Still no Steins;Gate, though.)

if you liked higurashi that much, the original vns are coming out on steam, albeit slowly

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm planning to marathon Macross in an effort to lead into the new show. I'm working my way through the original series, then planning to watch Macross 7 for the first time, then frontier. I'm wondering if it's worth checking out Plus, Macross 2, or Zero and when to fit them into the order if I do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm planning to marathon Macross in an effort to lead into the new show. I'm working my way through the original series, then planning to watch Macross 7 for the first time, then frontier. I'm wondering if it's worth checking out Plus, Macross 2, or Zero and when to fit them into the order if I do.

Totally watch Macross Plus, do not skip over that one. It's one of the best entries in the series.

I don't know anything about Macross 2, but I do know Macross Zero is supposed to be really bad, apparently.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Macross 2 was not written by Kawamori, is not considered canon by anything else in the franchise and is generally considered to be pretty bad

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is chronological order (not release order), i bolded the ones to definitely watch.

Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier

Seven is realllly long and i didn't care for it at all. Zero adds magical weirdness and the best thing about it is when it gets referenced in Macross Frontier.
Macross 2 is it's own strange thing and i haven't even bothered with it, maybe someday i will.

*DYRL is a movie version of the first series, it's no longer quite canon, but it is fantastically animated and has some of the best songs in the whole series.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Endless Eight is actually very good.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zipang would be really cool if more of the manga was available than the anime OR the anime wasn't animated by a pen taped to a garbage dumpster.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

The Devil Tesla posted:

Endless Eight is bad.

Endless Eight is actually bad.

Endless Eight: it's bad.

It's bad (Endless Eight).

Things that are bad: Endless Eight.

Things that are not good: Endless Eight.

Endless Eight is not good.

Eight Eight is actually not good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

Endless Eight is bad.

Endless Eight is actually bad.

Endless Eight: it's bad.

It's bad (Endless Eight).

Things that are bad: Endless Eight.

Things that are not good: Endless Eight.

Endless Eight is not good.

Eight Eight is actually not good.

I'm gonna Endless Eightack you.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

a kitten posted:

This is chronological order (not release order), i bolded the ones to definitely watch.

Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier

Seven is realllly long and i didn't care for it at all. Zero adds magical weirdness and the best thing about it is when it gets referenced in Macross Frontier.
Macross 2 is it's own strange thing and i haven't even bothered with it, maybe someday i will.

*DYRL is a movie version of the first series, it's no longer quite canon, but it is fantastically animated and has some of the best songs in the whole series.

I definitely want to watch DYRL, I saw clash of the bionoids when I was 12 and absolutely loved it (although 12 year old me didn't understand it) so watching the actual movie should be a fun ride.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is this also a manga recommendation thread? Ignore this post if it isnt

I have liked:

Genshiken
Old Boy
20th Century Boys
Solanin

I like stories about friends and relationships and people working through difficult situations in modern day earth

I did not like:

Yotsuba&!

I just don't get it

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

welcome to the nhk

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I have liked:

Genshiken
Old Boy
20th Century Boys
Solanin

I like stories about friends and relationships and people working through difficult situations in modern day earth

I did not like:

Yotsuba&!

I just don't get it

ashita no joe.

or legend of the strongest man kurosawa. also real by takehiko inoue

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 30, 2015

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

Macross Zero
SDF Macross
Do You Remember Love
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Frontier

7 is very different in tone to the other series, and it does have a fair amount of fillerish content - its biggest problem is probably that it doesn't have enough different music for its length (Planet Dance got really annoying after a while). That said, it's a nice lighthearted show with good action when it feels like it so I'd still recommend at least trying it out - just don't try to to marathon it because that will only highlight its flaws. Maybe save Zero/Plus for breaking it up a little, they're pretty much entirely separate from 7 so there's no problem with mixing them up.

Frontier heavily references all of Macross though, so for the full experience that should be the last thing you watch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

I did not like:

Yotsuba&!

I just don't get it
What's not to get

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

signalnoise posted:

I have liked:

Genshiken
Old Boy
20th Century Boys
Solanin

Kind of just ran through the wiki's manga category but I think these would work:

Monster
: Same author as 20th Century Boys and while not as intimately about the friendship between the main characters it should tickle many of the same itches from that series.

Kids on the Slope: Absolutely fits your criteria, unless you don't want to read something set in 1960's Japan or something about music.

Kakukaku Shikajika: OK this one isn't on the wiki yet for some dumb reason but gently caress it it's so so so great. Autobiogrpahical story about a Josei manga author as she goes from High School to a being an author, focusing particularly on the relationship between herself and her teacher. Very brutal emotionally at times, especially when you realize it's non-fiction.

Silver Spoon
: Can't imagine this wouldn't fit, unless you don't want to read something about farming. The main character's development and relationships with his friends/family are very compelling.

Hoshi no Samidare - The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
: Most fantastical/battle-heavy of this set but it is still set in modern Earth and features incredibly well done characterization amongst the cast.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Thanks yalls

Captain Invictus posted:

What's not to get

It's supposed to be funny I guess but it's all Garfield to me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it is slice of life. Just something to chill and relax to and remind yourself that hey maybe life isn't so bad at all, haha what silly misadventures will that Yotsuba get into next. It's rarely hysterical but it's just what the doctor ordered whenever I'm feeling down about whatever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

signalnoise posted:

What a pitiable creature

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Nah see at least there you can pull a Garfield minus Garfield. Yotsuba minus Yotsuba would be too much work.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nate RFB posted:

Well, it is slice of life. Just something to chill and relax to and remind yourself that hey maybe life isn't so bad at all, haha what silly misadventures will that Yotsuba get into next. It's rarely hysterical but it's just what the doctor ordered whenever I'm feeling down about whatever.

Yotsuba has regular adventures, not misadventures. :colbert:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What's not to like about an adorable kid being goofy with her goofy dad? :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Kind of just ran through the wiki's manga category but I think these would work:

Monster
: Same author as 20th Century Boys and while not as intimately about the friendship between the main characters it should tickle many of the same itches from that series.

Kids on the Slope: Absolutely fits your criteria, unless you don't want to read something set in 1960's Japan or something about music.

Kakukaku Shikajika: OK this one isn't on the wiki yet for some dumb reason but gently caress it it's so so so great. Autobiogrpahical story about a Josei manga author as she goes from High School to a being an author, focusing particularly on the relationship between herself and her teacher. Very brutal emotionally at times, especially when you realize it's non-fiction.

Silver Spoon
: Can't imagine this wouldn't fit, unless you don't want to read something about farming. The main character's development and relationships with his friends/family are very compelling.

Hoshi no Samidare - The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer
: Most fantastical/battle-heavy of this set but it is still set in modern Earth and features incredibly well done characterization amongst the cast.

Monster is a bit of a slow burn early on, but goddamn if it isn't well worth sticking with it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I'm trying to find an anime that I think I saw linked on the forums years ago, and it was a very meta scene where a group are looking through a dimly lit house, and they don't know what drawer to open to find whatever they're looking for, and one of the characters sees that one drawer is cel rather than part of the painted background, and announces that as the one to open, because of that. Does that ring a bell for anyone? I've been doing a bunch of Google searching and cant find it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't remember that scene but my gut tells me you should try googling the Ghost Stories English dub.

EDIT: Did some poking around and it seems that particular joke is from Blue Seed. It's only included as an omake though so I've no idea how it reflects on the rest of the show.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 3, 2015

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's brilliant

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

What's that even from, anyway? I've seen it many times over the years but reverse search fails me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reds posted:

What's that even from, anyway? I've seen it many times over the years but reverse search fails me.

I would assume it was Blue Seed, as Bad Seafood said.