Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hope Dorn gets a +2 strength unwieldy heavy chainsword without master crafted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Is there an actual primaris lightning model? Or just the Voss pattern one from FW?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I hope Dorn gets a +2 strength unwieldy heavy chainsword without master crafted
Nah, it actually manages to be worse than that. It doesn't boost his anything unless you want to trade half of his attacks for +2 strength and instant death. He does get rampage out of the deal though. At initiative 1.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
There's a whole thread on B&C about IF players bitching about Dron's chainsword. Poor guys.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is there an actual primaris lightning model? Or just the Voss pattern one from FW?

That's the right one

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, it actually manages to be worse than that. It doesn't boost his anything unless you want to trade half of his attacks for +2 strength and instant death. He does get rampage out of the deal though. At initiative 1.

and shred! Cant forget the shred.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Safety Factor posted:

Why the gently caress does Garro have a master-crafted bolt pistol? He's got a two-handed sword and a fancy assault 3 bolter. It will never be used or have an impact on the game unless a player decides to specifically use it for shits and giggles. Seems like a fun character to use though.

I've noticed something about 30k characters. A bunch of them, primarchs included, have unique, master-crafted weapons in their fluff or descriptions, but they don't have the actual master-crafted special rule. You'd think, of all things, primarchs would get that on every weapon. Meanwhile, a praetor can slap it on just about any single weapon they own. Whatever.

Maybe there's a enemy squad with two dudes 5" away, one dude 7.5" away, and the rest 9" or more away, and you want to do some damage without potentially salting your charge?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BULBASAUR posted:

There's a whole thread on B&C about IF players bitching about Dron's chainsword. Poor guys.

1d4chan did some math work, and Dorn sadly enough comes out near the bottom of the primarch heap.

I'm not bothered myself. Dorn's got Sigismund for when real killing needs to be done.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Sigismund is neat, but Alexis is outstanding. Possibly the most undercosted character model in the game, in my opinion.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Dorn gives his guys a lot of solid boosts. +D3 to combat resolution is an especially big deal. His chainsword just kind of sucks when compared to other primarchs' weapons. It probably won't ever be an issue unless you're trying to use him to fight other primarchs. Probably shouldn't do that though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Probably shouldn't do that though.

This is a Wrong and Bad Opinion.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Stumbled into my FLGS for SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY (I forgot this was a thing), and they had the Calth box set marked down to $95. I cashed in some points and walked away with it for $80. Heresy gaming is go!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lmao at Imperial Fists players getting salty about their primarch's rules, when they have some of the best units, legion rules, and characters in the game.

Contrast this with Iron Warriors, who at least can die a bunch from shooting and not run away.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Plus he's a huge multiplier more than a beat stick, your entire army using his LD10, map wide combat bonuses, and his cover boosting is no small joke.

E: Nope. VVVV

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 29, 2015

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Do you think that they will make models for Tyrant Siege Terminators or Havocs?

Will these theoretical models even be good?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They'll be Fulmentarius terminators with IW shoulder pads at an extra charge.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I had to look up Fulmentarius terminators.

:negative:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just hope they drop the ork aesthetic. I can deal with little stars on everything.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

The stars are really weird, and I don't think the chests actually suit Mk 2 armour, but the helmets are cool as hell. I don't think the designers really had a clear outline on what they wanted the Iron Warriors to be, and didn't really have an aesthetic for them, which has resulted in this bizarro mix between clean/futuristic chestpieces with stars and the helmets which are in the more traditional Iron Warriors style (one of the helmets is really close to the GW IW upgrade helmet, except sans horns).

I don't get the weird mix of not having morale checks for shooting casualties and having two units which are shooting only (but don't really get bonuses for accuracy), as well as having a RoW which is actually a close-range shoot/assault force, but the assault component is actually really hit and miss (and the extra HS choice is lame in an era of allies).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how Perturabo modified an already awesome hammer just to give it Blind and Unwieldy. Nice job, nerd.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Making him one of like 3 unwieldy primarchs. Not like he already had one of the lowest A values. Even Lorgar has a pistol + weapon.

Horus doesn't count because why arnt you using the S8 ap2 shred claw.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I figured they'd get some template or artillery perks: like forcing re-rolls to cover saves or lifting the 0-1 artillery restriction. Their current rules and models are all across the board. No real focus. In other words:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Recoome posted:

The stars are really weird, and I don't think the chests actually suit Mk 2 armour, but the helmets are cool as hell. I don't think the designers really had a clear outline on what they wanted the Iron Warriors to be, and didn't really have an aesthetic for them, which has resulted in this bizarro mix between clean/futuristic chestpieces with stars and the helmets which are in the more traditional Iron Warriors style (one of the helmets is really close to the GW IW upgrade helmet, except sans horns).

Angel Exterminatus was a meh book in general, but it gave the Iron Warriors an Ottoman vibe in places. That would be an interesting aesthetic to run with for them, and pretty distinct from any other legion's current motif.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cythereal posted:

Angel Exterminatus was a meh book in general, but it gave the Iron Warriors an Ottoman vibe in places. That would be an interesting aesthetic to run with for them, and pretty distinct from any other legion's current motif.

I liked that it made Perturabo a huge nerd who built models and played tabletop wargames

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

I liked that it made Perturabo a huge nerd who built models and played tabletop wargames

im glad im not alone

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

SRM posted:

huge nerd who built models and played tabletop wargames

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SRM posted:

In all seriousness war games are a long-established and respected part of the real-world military, and the book shows Perturabo and friends using them for their intended purpose. None of the other books have shown Astartes sitting down to actually plan their war campaigns and rehearse plans and strategies for battles they expect to fight. Excusable in some cases like the World Eaters, but you'd think the Ultramarines would have made a point of war gaming beyond some simple chatter in Know No Fear about the best way to kill orks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cythereal posted:

In all seriousness war games are a long-established and respected part of the real-world military, and the book shows Perturabo and friends using them for their intended purpose. None of the other books have shown Astartes sitting down to actually plan their war campaigns and rehearse plans and strategies for battles they expect to fight. Excusable in some cases like the World Eaters, but you'd think the Ultramarines would have made a point of war gaming beyond some simple chatter in Know No Fear about the best way to kill orks.

Prospero Burns has the Wolves playing strategy games against each other, seemed more like chess than wargames though.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Cythereal posted:

but you'd think the Ultramarines would have made a point of war gaming beyond some simple chatter in Know No Fear about the best way to kill orks.

Theres a short story of the ultramarines doing live wargames against themselves dressed up in various legion colors.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Prospero Burns has the Wolves playing strategy games against each other, seemed more like chess than wargames though.

Eisenstein had the Death Guard playing chess "regicide" too.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
30k has had a nice take up with the Hams in my community since BaC came out. However spartan spam is a thing with everyone here (except me 'cause I'm stoopid). I do have two caestus assault rams and 20 of the plastic Cataphractii terminators. I traded my 2 plastic contemptors with a friend for the termies since I already have 6 FW ones.
I'm still not sure how I should load-out the Cataphractii terminators but I have a few ideas. Since I play the Fists I initially thought THSH for the lot, but that is expensive and doesn't take advantage of the 30k termie flexibility. I think that with 5 with lightning claws, two with assault cannons & chainfists and three with THSS could be effective with a ram to get them about. The idea being to ram into a spartan, peel it open with the chainfists and hopefully be durable enough to attack the spartan-less deathstar next turn, or at least eat enough firepower to keep the rest of my army unmolested for a turn. Goon thoughts?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Ideally you'll kill the Spartan before assaulting, so then your terminators can bust up the dudes inside. I think that should be your plan, instead of trying to smash your terminators against their big mess of dudes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What's wrong with a big mess of giant muscular dudes smashing into each other?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I don't think there was anything wrong with your birthday party :whatup:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Mi yag.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

I don't think there was anything wrong with your birthday party :whatup:

Wrong was refusing to get into the mud with the rest of us

Wow, same

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
[Screaming psychically]

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Came here to post that. Yessss

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Next primarch is out at this 40th birthday celebration thing too.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

YES YES YEEEESSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Saving the best for last. Thought so :smug: