Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The more I read about NERVA, the more I'm :allears:

The main engine design put out 250k lbs of thrust. Thats comparable to the Atlas F boosters which put out 300k lbs thrust. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

benito posted:

In one way, yes...

Liquidator

Suddenly thats a baddas loving medal i would wear with pride if i was still alive.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

A better photo of the Dynairship, with 747 and C-5 for scale. These were uploaded by the designer himself, who has a deviantart page. This is a later project he worked on. It was nuclear powered!

That's some Gernsback Continuum stuff right there.

Nebakenezzer posted:

There's also the Aerolift Cyclo-Crane

and if that's not surprising enough, it had a demonstrator that flew successfully and there is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWLhH3wsxUo

And I remember seeing that video on TV when it happened. I had forgotten about it till your post. Thanks for the reminder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
You missed the best one:

:stare: Yes, that is the 'The' Gadget. The nuclear device tested at Alamogordo during the Manhattan project.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yes, but here's zero detail on the physics package, as opposed to the wiki page which draws heavily on John Coster-Mullen's work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Koesj posted:

Yes, but here's zero detail on the physics package, as opposed to the wiki page which draws heavily on John Coster-Mullen's work.

No no, I mean it's really well done. And yeah, I know you can find physics package designs pretty readily.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Oh yeah sure, I freaking love aerospace projects review anyway, shame it costs money that I don't want to spend on such obscure stuff.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
It's the future already

e: I know the X47 and friends have been around forever now, but this photo (a nEUROn) just looks like it shouldn't have been taken for another 50 years

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 29, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Captain Postal posted:

It's the future already

e: I know the X47 and friends have been around forever now, but this photo (a nEUROn) just looks like it shouldn't have been taken for another 50 years

Next Ace Combat looking good...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

It's the future already

As I suspected, a bucket hat.

E-

Yup, bucket hat

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 29, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

YF19pilot posted:

Next Ace Combat looking good...

Wasn't there an Ace Combat game where you were secretly a UCAV?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

wdarkk posted:

Wasn't there an Ace Combat game where you were secretly a UCAV?

Maybe AC3, which I haven't played and many feel was the best in the series.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Ace Combat 3 was really different from 2 and 4, in some ways weird as gently caress and others very good. It apparently had a different release in Japan which had more content.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Cliff diving: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DDxm7GajKw

From the cockpit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8NMODxSlM

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

:stare:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
loving hell, was was hoping to post some Alaskan aviation goodness on page 907, but goddamn, there is no way I can beat that.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Mazz posted:

Ace Combat 3 was really different from 2 and 4, in some ways weird as gently caress and others very good. It apparently had a different release in Japan which had more content.

From the cutting room floor wiki: "The original version comes in two discs, it has 52 missions, story branches, multiple endings, and more. The western version only has one disc with 36 missions, the story is linear with only one ending, a lot of the anime cutscenes are gone, unique characters were replaced with generic stand-ins, and more."

Pretty sure no one knows why they did that other than Namco.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don't think anything I ever do will come close to being as cool as this.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Dannywilson posted:

loving hell, was was hoping to post some Alaskan aviation goodness on page 907, but goddamn, there is no way I can beat that.

Your only chance of topping him would be to post clips from the Big Rocks & Long Props videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUP8oD6u708

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:swoon:LockMart's airship has been certified by the FAA, on sale in 2018:swoon:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The F-35 of LTA craft is a go!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Now they just need to extort several billion dollars to design a "VTOL version" for the USMC.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If they sell the USMC a Akron/Macon version would that be the navy's army's airforce's airforce?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder how much of the cost is the helium.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It'll fly in 2020 but won't carry any cargo until 2024. It will also (somehow) break the necks of everyone nearby.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Supposedly it can be scaled up to carry 500 tons of cargo (from the 20t this is). I would love to see that deplete world helium reserves

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder how much of the cost is the helium.

Quick snooping around doesn't give a displacement figure, it seems the size has not been released.

Cat Mattress posted:

Now they just need to extort several billion dollars to design a "VTOL version" for the USMC.

I know this is a joke, but apparently with an unspecified 'reduced load' it can take off in 150m. 20% of its lift is dynamic. At a full load, it needs 750m to take off, but bear in mind this 750 m can be literally anything - sand, ice, bog, open water, etc. The things on the bottom are hoverskirts so it can move around on the ground. Lockheed (so take this as you will) says that in terms of moving stuff around, the costs of the airship are a tenth that of a helicopter.

slidebite posted:

Supposedly it can be scaled up to carry 500 tons of cargo (from the 20t this is). I would love to see that deplete world helium reserves

Seriously. The 500 ton version would be 800+ ft long. As for the cost of helium for it, well, the Hindenburg was 800 ft, and displaced 200,000 cubic meters, or 7,000,000 square feet if you prefer. I'd love to get a price on this, but while lots of articles discuss the price of helium, ah, rising, I can't find a modern price quote.

Incidentally, on that same chapter from the big book of airships, they discuss the work of two aeronautical profs defending hydrogen in airships as vastly more efficient. They've also designed a "double envelope" where a layer of helium encloses a second cell of hydrogen. They say such a development is necessary due to cost and hydrogen's greater efficiency as a lifting gas. (I know chemically the difference is not much, but somehow these guys get a real world efficiency bonus of 50% with Hydrogen as opposed to helium. I have to go out, but if you want more hot air about this let me know and I'll dig it out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I found a recent article about Praxair buying 275 million cubic feet of helium at auction for about $28 million, so 10 cents a cubic foot in bulk seems fair.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/info/news_releases0/2015/august/fy16_helium_sale_and0.html

The Hindenburg-sized model would only cost $700,000 to fill -- really not that much, considering.

Hydrogen is well under 1 cent per cubic foot when manufactured through natural gas cracking, though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 29, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FY2014 Bulk helium from the federal helium reserve was $2.49/m³ to governmental users, $3.43/m³ to anyone else. Private industry price estimated at $7.21/m³ for grade A helium.

Source

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

(I know chemically the difference is not much, but somehow these guys get a real world efficiency bonus of 50% with Hydrogen as opposed to helium. I have to go out, but if you want more hot air about this let me know and I'll dig it out.

He has an atomic mass of ~4, H2 is ~2. So 22.47 L of He @ STP weighs ~4 grams, while 22.47L of H2 @ STP weighs ~2 grams.

I don't know the mass of the lifting gas of an airship vs the empty mass, but quick and dirty approximation, if the He mass is 50%, structure is 40% and payload is 10%, swapping to H2 gives ~25% lifting gas, 40% structure and ~35% payload, more than triple. Subtract from payload the mass of the second envelope and reserve hydrogen and you would still probably be better off.

Although as I understand it, there is no envelope material in existence that could hold H2 for an extended period of time as the molecules are so small, so it may add endurance limits and the requirement to devote payload capacity to bottles of gas to recharge. I'm half-remembering but possibly-imagining that this is the biggest issue with Hydrogen now days.

edit: comedy option - dissociate h2 from atmospheric methane/ammonia/etc in flight and keep going indefinitely, or until you go WHOOOMP

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 30, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sagebrush posted:

The Hindenburg-sized model ...

Hydrogen

can't wait to see this inevitible bad ending to this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There was only one Hindenburg disaster. Do we let one plane crash stop us from flying airliners? No. Get back on the horse, I say.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There sure were a lot of other airship disasters though https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airship_accidents

Yes I know the early days of fixed wing aircraft had their share too, but even back then there were far more of them around

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Postal posted:

He has an atomic mass of ~4, H2 is ~2. So 22.47 L of He @ STP weighs ~4 grams, while 22.47L of H2 @ STP weighs ~2 grams.

This is not how chemistry works, but it's really close in this case.

Helium has a density of 0.1786 kg/m3. Hydrogen has a density of 0.08988 kg/m3. Air has a density of 1.2754 kg/m3.

If you have 2e5m3 displacement, then you have ~250,000kg of air, 36,000kg of helium, or 18,000kg of hydrogen. So your helium ship has 215 tonnes of lift, while your hydrogen ship has 232 tonnes. Subtract out the weight of everything that makes the ship, and that's your available net lift. Note that hydrogen and helium are your only viable lifting gases. Methane is about .6-.7kg/m3, neon is .9 or so, oxygen and nitrogen are in the 1.25kg/m3 (so about the same as air).

If you had a structure that could displace that same 200,000m3, yet could hold a hard vacuum, then you'd get even MORE buoyancy than hydrogen! You'd have all 250 tonnes of lift available! If you could make the whole thing weigh less than 18,000kg, you'd beat out hydrogen as a viable lifting medium.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Use hydrogen but for military reasons tell everyone you are using helium. Even label the bottles He. Get rumbled when a pair of marines die from trying to make their voices go squeaky.

for the fun police: yes, I know using straight He in the same manner will kill you too

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
What would be the physical effects of 200,000m3 of vacuum failing its containment?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Helium is rare and hydrogen is dangerous. So obviously what we need is rigid, pressure-resistant envelopes so that the airship can be buoyed by pure vacuum.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

joat mon posted:

What would be the physical effects of 200,000m3 of vacuum failing its containment?

If the whole containment failed catastrophically and uniformly (the whole thing just implodes) then it's literally the loudest sound possible to be generated in the atmosphere. Since sound waves are formed by rarefaction, then the loudest possible sound has a vacuum in its trough. You now have a single sound wave with a trough the width of your containment vessel at the maximum possible differential pressure, and therefore the maximum possible energy transmittable in air.

tl;dr: It would be very loud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

Helium is rare and hydrogen is dangerous. So obviously what we need is rigid, pressure-resistant envelopes so that the airship can be buoyed by pure vacuum.

This, but once we find a suitable material, forget the airship and make a space elevator instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Mattress posted:

They tried during the 19th century; the method was thin-walled hollow copper spheres, fully evacuated.

Turns out that the strength needed, whether by internal bracing or thicker walls, makes them heavier than air so the whole thing fails. Be interesting to see if it's even theoretically possible with whatever unobtanium.