Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dejO6aiA7bs

Superbunnyhop said it best: (paraphrased from memory)

"fallout 4 feels like a game that would have been amazing had it been released years ago, and is substantially better than their previous game, but the game does not exist in a bubble where no other games have been released that do similar things"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of loot, how concerned should I be with crafting? Do I get a good amount of good drops outside that?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

He thinks Gwent is bad so I've already disregarded all of his opinions. :colbert:

Gwent is extremely bad, and by far the worst part of this game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fallout 4 and the witcher 3 are good at completely opposite things. they each make for a really good follow up to the other tho because of this

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of loot, how concerned should I be with crafting? Do I get a good amount of good drops outside that?

You buy the treasure maps from vendors that you lead you to the diagrams for the witcher-tier gear. You find those diagrams, and craft the items (which isn't all that difficult), and then you never bother with any other gear until you hit the level where you can wear the upgraded version of your chosen witcher gear. It's amazing for people like me who hate analyzing every piece of loot I find in case it is the one item upgrade I need to hold on to.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slashrat posted:

You buy the treasure maps from vendors that you lead you to the diagrams for the witcher-tier gear. You find those diagrams, and craft the items (which isn't all that difficult), and then you never bother with any other gear until you hit the level where you can wear the upgraded version of your chosen witcher gear. It's amazing for people like me who hate analyzing every piece of loot I find in case it is the one item upgrade I need to hold on to.

Well that's easy! Thanks I didn't want to put a lot of effort into crafting.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Slashrat posted:

Yeah basically the Witcher gear sets are by far the best in the game (until arguably the expansion stuff in the far endgame), so loot is almost never a significant upgrade. This goes for quest rewards too, there's a brief gap between leaving White Orchard and crafting your first Witcher gear sets when you'll probably use some other stuff, but outside of that you'll almost always use the green Witcher sets.

Mostly these are quite cheap to craft, excepting the highest end-game tier. Crafting materials to keep:

Glowing Ore, Dimeritium Ore and ingots (end game)
all other metal ores/ingots and whole/dusted gems

The metal and gem components are usually the most expensive.

Edit: the game strongly de-emphasizes gear and your ability ("talent") spec in general.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The talents are still pretty important I think, especially on higher difficulties.

I'm curious what you guys consider good exploration because unless Bethesda suddenly realized what's been wrong with every game they've done in this genre since Oblivion I'm kind of skeptical Fallout 4's is significantly better than TW3's.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I'm curious what you guys consider good exploration because unless Bethesda suddenly realized what's been wrong with every game they've done in this genre since Oblivion I'm kind of skeptical Fallout 4's is significantly better than TW3's.

fallout 4 is exactly that sort of thing. if you've played fallout 3/new vegas/skyrim/whatever, you know what you're in for. so yes, the exploration is better than in the witcher. for starters, there's a point to doing any. in the witcher, you kinda just hop from quest point to quest point because looking into places has no real value outside of finding witcher schematics (which are actually quests anyway). that's the difference: in fallout, you see a place and you go look into it because that's what you do. each place is a unique dungeon unto itself with something to find. and it's fun; there's always some little story behind every random dungeon and there's usually something interesting to look into. that's not really the case with the witcher, where you only really explore when a quest asks you to. you can find side quest monsters before you find the quests themselves (not the case in fallout), which is nice but it's still part of a quest. you didn't find some weird, random thing that was just there for the sake of being there. it never felt like I was finding something nobody else had in the witcher. they focus on different things and they both succeed at them, to me at least

if you don't like bethesda rpgs tho, this game won't change your mind. it is definitely their best game, but it is also very much their type of game. it's iterative, not innovative in the least. they make the core stuff better, or at least more streamlined (the shooting in particular is leagues better than fallout 3) but don't inact any real change in the loop or how you go about that loop. at the end of the day, I'd say that the witcher is a better, more interesting game, but I'm much more likely to play fallout 4 again because I enjoy the gameplay in fallout, whereas in the witcher it is something I tolerate in between the story

tbh comparing them is kinda hard in general because they're so different

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 29, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

each place is a unique dungeon unto itself with something to find. and it's fun; there's always some little story behind every random dungeon and there's usually something interesting to look into.

So it's not like Oblivion at all then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really remember oblivion that well, which is why I didn't mention it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

so yes, the exploration is better than in the witcher. for starters, there's a point to doing any. in the witcher, you kinda just hop from quest point to quest point because looking into places has no real value outside of finding witcher schematics (which are actually quests anyway). that's the difference: in fallout, you see a place and you go look into it because that's what you do. each place is a unique dungeon unto itself with something to find. and it's fun; there's always some little story behind every random dungeon and there's usually something interesting to look into. that's not really the case with the witcher, where you only really explore when a quest asks you to. ... you didn't find some weird, random thing that was just there for the sake of being there.

huh? In W3, I stumbled across many quests just by exploring the map or town and running into them, because going to a new area was what I wanted to do. also random loot and vendors. I guess you could remove the quest entry in log or icon on map and some would be more like skyrim random caves/hideouts. skyrim's different holds served as quest nexuses just like bounty boards in W3.

if you only explored because a quest path was taking you there, that's on you. like you could miss half the small towns and places of power and side quests because no prior quest directed you there. I guess W3's weird, random things just more often had people pointing you toward them that you could run across first.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's what I'm saying: everything you find in the witcher is a quest. you're finding something someone is gonna ask you to deal with, or you'll find the person asking you to deal with something. you finding quests is not really disproving my point, or even disagreeing with it. not every story you find in fallout is a quest tho; most aren't. like how you can go into a random mine and get ghost flashbacks to the past culminating in finding a secret ritual altar at the bottom, complete with computer entries and audio logs filling in the context. that's not a quest, it's just there. nothing points your way to it, there's no quest marker to follow; you find it or you don't. that's the difference when it comes to a feeling of exploration: a quest marker kind of ruins it. you don't feel like you're finding something

I found the majority of the markers on the overworld in the witcher 3 and there's nothing like that in it

edit: this isn't a knock against this game or anything, but I don't think it's going for the same thing as fallout

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 29, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have to ask, anyone else a little frustrated over combat? I'm playing on Death March, partly because I'm a trophy whore but also I like how the series gives you so many options to victory. And all the crafting, talents, and cheap tricks at Geralt's disposal greatly appeals to me especially when I take down an enemy twice my level without taking a hit.

But the game giveth and taketh away in equal in equal measure. Geralt doesn't have any invincibility frames so enemies can straight up hit you in the middle of a dodge or you strike a blocking opponent and somehow you take damage as they get pushed back. But enemies have invincibility frames so they'll do a little backstep and your sword passes through them every time. And it's really difficult to judge distance because despite having a long sword Geralt has really tight swings and he doesn't leap at an enemy when he strikes. And for some reason on a parry he pushes an enemy back out of his reach so you have to short hop as they stagger back at which point they've probably recovered and block your attack. But enemies don't have this issue, they'll magnetically snap 20 feet to perfectly land a blow in your back. And I don't really understand enemy stamina, they certainly don't tire or miss a beat blocking Geralt's blows.

I can't tell if I'm not playing the game how it wants me to play or if it's just bad design. I don't remember having this issue in TW2, I distinctly remember Geralt having longer reach and you could upgrade the distance of his dodge but I don't even think that's an option here. For every moment I take down a powerful monster without taking a hit I'll get destroyed by a bunch of peons who can dodge and react faster than the game allows you. I understand getting caught in a group battle is a bad idea but it's pretty boring that my strategy against groups is to throw fire in their face, wait 5 seconds, repeat. loving mundane rear end wolves end up being the deadliest enemies in the game. I'll take on a bear with my fists but run away from wolves on sight.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's what I'm saying: everything you find in the witcher is a quest. you're finding something someone is gonna ask you to deal with, or you'll find the person asking you to deal with something. you finding quests is not really disproving my point, or even disagreeing with it. not every story you find in fallout is a quest tho; most aren't. like how you can go into a random mine and get ghost flashbacks to the past culminating in finding a secret ritual altar at the bottom, complete with computer entries and audio logs filling in the context. that's not a quest, it's just there. nothing points your way to it, there's no quest marker to follow; you find it or you don't. that's the difference when it comes to a feeling of exploration: a quest marker kind of ruins it. you don't feel like you're finding something

I found the majority of the markers on the overworld in the witcher 3 and there's nothing like that in it

edit: this isn't a knock against this game or anything, but I don't think it's going for the same thing as fallout

You can turn off the map markers in Witcher 3.

Boom problem solved

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 29, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bethesda's trademark thing is to litter the world with self contained dungeons. You generally spend more time inside than out and that's what Bethesda has done best for the past 20 something years. Exploration in The Witcher doesn't compare with Fallout because the design philosophy behind them is completely different. I'd argue that removing the quest markers in The Witcher 3 is completely counter intuitive. You were meant to find this stuff, not stumble upon it, and the game is better for it.

Bethesda maps are also far more compact with lot of invisible walls, sometimes clever sometimes not. You usually don't have to travel far off the main road to find something and their map design makes points of interest pretty obvious.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

gently caress this game 0/10

To clarify, the horse is named after the fish.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can turn off the map markers in Witcher 3.

Boom problem solved

that has nothing to do with what I said and you're too fixated on the quest marker thing. quest markers aren't a problem to be solved, you're just not finding something unexpected when you take on a job at the notice board or w/e. you automatically know something is going to happen and you know where it happens and who it will/has happened to. when you take on a job to kill a griffon, you shouldn't be surprised when you turn up at the town and there's a griffon

al-azad posted:

Bethesda's trademark thing is to litter the world with self contained dungeons. You generally spend more time inside than out and that's what Bethesda has done best for the past 20 something years. Exploration in The Witcher doesn't compare with Fallout because the design philosophy behind them is completely different. I'd argue that removing the quest markers in The Witcher 3 is completely counter intuitive. You were meant to find this stuff, not stumble upon it, and the game is better for it.

yeah this is definitely true and that's what I mean when I say that the witcher isn't an exploration based game, whereas fallout is

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

al-azad posted:

I have to ask, anyone else a little frustrated over combat? I'm playing on Death March, partly because I'm a trophy whore but also I like how the series gives you so many options to victory. And all the crafting, talents, and cheap tricks at Geralt's disposal greatly appeals to me especially when I take down an enemy twice my level without taking a hit.

You'll get used to it eventually.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

al-azad posted:

But the game giveth and taketh away in equal in equal measure. Geralt doesn't have any invincibility frames so enemies can straight up hit you in the middle of a dodge or you strike a blocking opponent and somehow you take damage as they get pushed back.

Wrong. There's a skill you can get that prevents you from taking damage during dodges and rolls. Also, if you knock an enemy down with Aard and you choose to finish them, during that whole animation, you're invulnerable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lareine posted:

Wrong. There's a skill you can get that prevents you from taking damage during dodges and rolls. Also, if you knock an enemy down with Aard and you choose to finish them, during that whole animation, you're invulnerable.

Fleet footed is not invincibility frames, you just take less damage during a dodge and Geralt will reel from a hit despite taking 0 damage. After a bit of research and experimentation there are no true invincibility frames in the game. Fleet footed, and by proxy dodge/roll, only work against the enemy you're facing so enemies to your side and rear will still damage you even if you dodge away from them while they're attacking. Same goes with the aard finisher. Enemies can't damage you during it but they'll continue to attack so the instant the animation is finished you'll probably take damage from a wild swing.

Geralt's animations in this game are my one point of contention with the combat. It has certainly made me realize why in game's like Batman the enemies will back away when you're performing a scripted animation. Batman can still be attacked during a ground takedown but you can also cancel out of it. Geralt can't cancel out of an animation and will get destroyed by enemies who totally can (e.g. wolves). Reading people's tips for death march it usually amounts to "axii/quen disable groups, whirlwind whirlwind whirlwind."

Beeez
May 28, 2012

mmkay posted:

To clarify, the horse is named after the fish.

And Geralt has been naming his horses Roach since before CDPR was founded.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Fleet footed is not invincibility frames, you just take less damage during a dodge and Geralt will reel from a hit despite taking 0 damage. After a bit of research and experimentation there are no true invincibility frames in the game. Fleet footed, and by proxy dodge/roll, only work against the enemy you're facing so enemies to your side and rear will still damage you even if you dodge away from them while they're attacking. Same goes with the aard finisher. Enemies can't damage you during it but they'll continue to attack so the instant the animation is finished you'll probably take damage from a wild swing.

Geralt's animations in this game are my one point of contention with the combat. It has certainly made me realize why in game's like Batman the enemies will back away when you're performing a scripted animation. Batman can still be attacked during a ground takedown but you can also cancel out of it. Geralt can't cancel out of an animation and will get destroyed by enemies who totally can (e.g. wolves). Reading people's tips for death march it usually amounts to "axii/quen disable groups, whirlwind whirlwind whirlwind."

Death March is just really punishing in general, what level are you? It's gonna be rough until into the teens at least.

Packs of wolves and drowners will mob you like that and wreck you pretty often.

Are you using short dodges as well as rolling?

Generally I would recommend using appropriate Signs and bombs to control the battlefield and CC a couple enemies, get in a few hits, then pull back and re-apply effects. Against humans you might dance a bit to get a couple in place for Aard, do a couple instant kills on knocked down enemies, back off and probably repeat. Against necrophages or a lot of other stuff vulnerable to fire? Dance around until you can catch a few in the Igni cone so they're on fire while you get in a few hits, back out.

I would strongly suggest getting the alternate Yrden trap and opening combat by casting that. It will fire off little lightning shocks that interrupt enemies which is great passive crowd control and damage.

Edit: also you don't want to strike a blocking opponent because you'll stagger briefly. You can't really go toe-to-toe man mode in Death March unless/until you get geared up in something heavy like Ursine and specced for that. In general the enemy damage is just too punishing, you want to use an ability/sign, get in a few hits, get out. Taking more than a hit or two is dirtnap.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 29, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah I'm like level 6. I love the combat in general and all the options it gives you to control the battlefield but this also reveals how annoying the way they designed animations and hitboxes are. I've come to the realization that you just need to keep enemies off your back, it's impossible to dodge them even with a roll. If someone is running at you from behind then block and take the stun that comes with it because blocks are 360 degrees or something. Although it's kind of frustrating that blocking with quen will defend you yet also trigger a stun so it's better to not block and take a hit you see coming, how did nobody look into this???

Anyway I just witnessed a level 1 stray dog take down a level 6 drowner. The dog got behind it and delivered like 8 attacks in a row while the drowner flailed wildly. loving dogs man, I don't know why people fear wraiths and poo poo when the deadliest enemy is man's best friend.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

Yeah I'm like level 6. I love the combat in general and all the options it gives you to control the battlefield but this also reveals how annoying the way they designed animations and hitboxes are. I've come to the realization that you just need to keep enemies off your back, it's impossible to dodge them even with a roll. If someone is running at you from behind then block and take the stun that comes with it because blocks are 360 degrees or something. Although it's kind of frustrating that blocking with quen will defend you yet also trigger a stun so it's better to not block and take a hit you see coming, how did nobody look into this???

Anyway I just witnessed a level 1 stray dog take down a level 6 drowner. The dog got behind it and delivered like 8 attacks in a row while the drowner flailed wildly. loving dogs man, I don't know why people fear wraiths and poo poo when the deadliest enemy is man's best friend.

It's definitely not the best action RPG combat ever, and it seems like players coming from the Souls series in particular get frustrated with it.

In general it sounds like you need to keep mobile and use fewer blocks/parries. Blocks/parries work well against human opponents but against monsters not as much. Wild dogs, wolves, and drowners all come in packs and their entire schtick is mobbing you from all directions like that so you gotta keep moving.

At level 6 you're also at the hardest part of the game difficulty-wise, probably.

Edit: like if you wanted to make a couple videos and post them here you could probably get a lot of specific feedback on how to change up your playstyle, but honestly you're early in the game and I think just need time to get more of a feel for playing around the weirder mechanics and "git gud."

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 29, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still level 1 haha. I noticed I was able to take levels 4-5 drowners on and win but a level 7 wraith was marked as "you gonna get hosed" difficulty. Should I expect to take on up to 5 levels above my current one reasonably well for the entire game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm still level 1 haha. I noticed I was able to take levels 4-5 drowners on and win but a level 7 wraith was marked as "you gonna get hosed" difficulty. Should I expect to take on up to 5 levels above my current one reasonably well for the entire game?

Depend on your difficulty setting, you can definitely beat the skull-marked "you gonna get hosed" enemies but they're artificially much harder. Wraiths have a pretty different and challenging move set so you're probably best off waiting a few levels.

You shouldn't have much difficulty with up to +5 levels, more than that they are extra tough but doable.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

One thing that changed up the amounts of hits I was taking was feeling out when to attack, and when to keep moving. There are times that look like openings where your twirl will not be fast enough to connect to an enemy that's close to you. You can also push individuals that get separated by a pack away with repeated light attacks. I always try fighting groups around obstacles because they split up to get you. You can get a few hits in to push them farther from the group, have a quen up to absorb an attack as you do so, then dodge away once the rest of the mob catches up.

I'm surprised to read so many people have issues with the combat, it is the best I've played in an RPG, and so far i can't say I've had any bullshit deaths that weren't my own fault for not using my tools and the enviroment properly. Like yeah there is a learning curve on witcher kendo but it's really good feeling one once you learn your twirls. Also I really love all souls games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You generally won't have much trouble with one-on-one fights. I took out the devil-by-the-well without using signs/bombs/oils/etc. because they have such simple attack patterns and Geralt is pretty nimble in general. Wraiths take a swing if you wait too long and if they zip around they'll do a one-two hit with their sword and lamp, it's totally predictable. Anything in a group will eat you for lunch. Drowners and ghouls are dumb and can be lured out individually but wolves will spot you across the map and summon every wolf in a 5 mile radius to attack. They are truly this world's terrors.

e: A personal tip for early play when you get to Velen beeline through the main quest until you discover the frozen village. On the peninsula to the north are three points of interest. There's an unmarked location inbetween them called Harpy's Feeding Ground where harpies spawn. They're super easy to kill with axii and almost always drop green/blue mutagen you can farm that makes the early game easy going. Just don't go too far because there are two high level creatures lurking around the points of interest.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 29, 2015

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah, the combat annoys me sometimes, especially when you get hit because the enemy had just started to attack as you hit them, so the hitbox spawns in but the animation doesn't play. I like the combat overall, but it has a few rough edges that really shows with a few of the enemies you fight.

Also the signs seem really unbalanced. I've killed fiends and leshens with only two blasts of igni. I have some mods installed that make monster levels scale over yours at all times, so it isn't as if they were low level, they were above mine and their health is scaled up by the same mod, yet they still melt with no effort. Can anyone let me know if this is how it is in the base game, or have the mods I installed somehow made igni OP?

Aard is also completely broken against small enemies, since once you get far enough into the game you have a pretty high sign intensity and knock down all of them with one press of the 'Q' button and then just walk over to them and finish them off. Even though this is completely avoidable, I can't help myself because it's just so fun.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I haven't seen it posted here: new scenes supposedly added in 1.10 that expand Triss romance side :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGU8ApMhlSQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

that has nothing to do with what I said and you're too fixated on the quest marker thing. quest markers aren't a problem to be solved, you're just not finding something unexpected when you take on a job at the notice board or w/e. you automatically know something is going to happen and you know where it happens and who it will/has happened to. when you take on a job to kill a griffon, you shouldn't be surprised when you turn up at the town and there's a griffon

I meant you can turn off the markers for the Unknown locations and find them on your own. Yea they aren't all caves or whatever like Fallout, who cares. My point is there is still exploration to be done in the Witcher, unknown locations or otherwise.

I'm not even sure what is going on with your notice board complaint. I mean there are quests in Fallout like that too. If you get one telling you to clear out the raider camp you shouldn't be surprised to find raiders there.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Protip for Wolves in early Death March: they literally can't hurt you when you are blocking. Wolves, Dogs, Wargs, and anything a few of their monstrous cousins completely lack a guard break ability. The only trouble here is your stamina refills more slowly when guarding so its useful to have Tawny Owl (always have Tawny Owl) so that you can just block all day and two shot them with Igni.

Ghouls have a guard breaking attack but if you have Quen up when it hits you won't get stunned. Their rage ability can be deactivated with Axii, preventing them from regenerating health. Generally the best way to fight ghouls at earl levels is to just dodge and block with Quen and take the easy shots. In Death March its much more important to not take hits because it will slow your adrenaline gain, and adrenaline is really important for scaling up your damage against the massive HP pools enemies have. Also, try not to combo them. Attack once, short dodge forward, attack again, short dodge forward, repeat until something busts your Quen and then back off. This lets you separate one from the pack and chase it into a corner. Hold block while you do this to parry their quick counter attack.

Drowners can't hit you from mid range as long as you're constantly sidestepping to the right from lock-on. This requires you to not be blocking so your movement speed is fast enough to side step them without dodging. You're more vulnerable to the other Drowners in the group this way (use Quen) but without the short dodge animation you can counter attack much more quickly and even attack from behind to get bonus damage. The temptation is to use Igni and pray for the burning effects (pretty likely on Drowners) but its the same problem with Ghouls: Quen lets you build up critical adrenaline levels to do enough damage that you don't have to sit there and hack at them for minutes at a time.

Most of the random encounters with humans in the early game take place near beehives. You can knock them down with Aard and they'll seriously gently caress up bandits and whatever else near the hive. They are also able to be instantly killed when stunned with Axii. I'm not actually sure what determines whether the instant kill procs but the fact that it does seem to happen less often against harder enemies suggests its related to either the relative level of Geralt or possible the mysterious Armor Piercing stat that only shows up on Steel Swords.

By level 10 everything is trivially easy again. I don't know what it is with this game. There is definitely some room for interesting tactics and abilities but the combat feels like a watered down version of a much better system that used to be in place. I get the impression that someone wanted to put "Diablo-style loot!" and "Crafting!" on the back of the box more than they wanted combat to actually be engaging.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug

alex314 posted:

I haven't seen it posted here: new scenes supposedly added in 1.10 that expand Triss romance side :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGU8ApMhlSQ

Man, I've been playing... a lot... of Fallout 4, and nothing in that game has the narrative punch of even a single Witcher mainquest cutscene. I feel like we're supposed to give games a lot of room to be 'bad at story,' since they're fundamentally pretty cheesy, but dang was W3 good at characterization.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Did they seriously add new animation and voice work for a patch?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I meant you can turn off the markers for the Unknown locations and find them on your own. Yea they aren't all caves or whatever like Fallout, who cares. My point is there is still exploration to be done in the Witcher, unknown locations or otherwise.

I'm not even sure what is going on with your notice board complaint. I mean there are quests in Fallout like that too. If you get one telling you to clear out the raider camp you shouldn't be surprised to find raiders there.

you aren't getting my "complaint" because I'm not complaining, which I've already said. the way the witcher does things is not bad. you are totally missing my point entirely

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I'm really looking forward to this year's various GOTY awards so I can see who blindly buys into the hype and gives it to Fallout 4 instead of The Witcher 3 so I can know that I can safely disregard their opinions in the future.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 29, 2015

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Jack of Hearts posted:

They sure did. It's not even the only new scene.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That new Triss dialogue is pretty corny.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Their forums exploded demanding more Triss shortly after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Sharmat posted:

That new Triss dialogue is pretty corny.

Their forums exploded demanding more Triss shortly after release.

After finishing the game with Yen shortly after launch I decided to try Triss' story and I was a little shocked at how barebones and underwhelming all the cutscenes and events were. Its like everyone at CDPR realized how lovely Triss is next to Yen and gave up.