Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They're playing as the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

GlitchThief posted:

uh so I'm not sure, but I think things just got a little more complicated.

Bloodly posted:

Possibly. It depends on whether you want to actually keep the land for yourself or not. You can always hand it off to the Pope if you want.

Funky Valentine posted:

Or break away from your liege and set up shop in Andalusia. It's probably the best kingdom in Hispania.
Except that's not GlitchThief's character, that's one of their vassals. This is going to get complicated. I expect the best thing to do would just be to grant him independence, so you can stay on his good side for now, and then see about getting your dynasty in control of his kingdom.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Edison was a dick posted:

Not anymore, since Iqta became a government type rather than a property of being a Muslim. You can't be both Iqta and a Republic, so you can no longer hold all 3 types.

Oh, huh, I didn't even realize that!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

darthbob88 posted:

Except that's not GlitchThief's character, that's one of their vassals.

Oooh

His new land will probably be useless for some time, so you can try granting him independence and then warring for his lands (once the truce runs out).

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking of reinstalling this game for the first time in a year or so. The major DLCs I'm missing are Charlemagne, Way of Life, and Horse Lords. Are any of those required purchases, i.e. make the game substantially better, or am I not missing much?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

WOL is well regarded but honestly you can do ok without it

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I actually managed to usurp Andalusia, I guess because that guy is my vassal. But I'm about to lose it to my direct heir's brother, which is a little confusing to me because I thought primogeniture succession meant all my titles go to my direct heir.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

GlitchThief posted:

I actually managed to usurp Andalusia, I guess because that guy is my vassal. But I'm about to lose it to my direct heir's brother, which is a little confusing to me because I thought primogeniture succession meant all my titles go to my direct heir.

What are Andalusia's succession laws?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
You kingdom of Ireland has primogeniture. Check if succession in the new kingdom of Andalusia is gavelkind.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Too many duchies, it irritates your vassals, but if you're not pissing them off in other ways you can usually work around it.

There's not usually any good reason to hold more than 2 duchies anyway since the demesne limit won't let you hold nearly enough counties anyway. Typically the only time I'll hold more than 2 duchy titles is if my character is old and has just conquered something; with long reign modifiers the -10 or -20 for too many duchies won't make much difference, and I'd rather wait until he dies and let his successor hand out the titles, lest the massive opinion bonuses for granting titles go to waste.

That's another gamey trick that comes up once in a while: if you have an old ruler that everyone loves, you can get away with some tyranny and revoke a duchy or two from troublesome vassals, hold onto them till he dies, then let his heir hand them back out. The goodwill the old guy with the long reign has built up isn't redeemable for any valuable prizes after his death; might as well spend it in a way that will help smooth the succession.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

its too bad imprisoning and banishing people no longer gives you all their titles...

okay sure everyone would hate your guts and you would get murdered... but your heir could hand out titles like candy and make them happy again.

Also do the mongols ever split up into the Golden Horde & Il-Khanate post horse lords? right now they didn't do poo poo for about 10 years after Genghis showed up so I got bored of seeing the mongols sit in Mongolia doing nothing and conquered the entire Steppe up to Russia & Alania in about 10 years as Genghis. Went back to playing England, and realized after 30 years the mongols haven't done anything since then other than beat off a Shiite Jihad for Khiva

I heard that sometimes the mongols don't do anything and got sad because otherwise this world has been pretty fun.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Possibly. It depends on whether you want to actually keep the land for yourself or not. You can always hand it off to the Pope if you want.

If you dump stuff off on the Papacy, is it pretty much impossible to get back later?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

poo poo, I thought the succession laws were for me specifically, not just for the one country. That's gonna make conquering Britain a fair bit more complicated.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jack2142 posted:

its too bad imprisoning and banishing people no longer gives you all their titles...

okay sure everyone would hate your guts and you would get murdered... but your heir could hand out titles like candy and make them happy again.

Also do the mongols ever split up into the Golden Horde & Il-Khanate post horse lords? right now they didn't do poo poo for about 10 years after Genghis showed up so I got bored of seeing the mongols sit in Mongolia doing nothing and conquered the entire Steppe up to Russia & Alania in about 10 years as Genghis. Went back to playing England, and realized after 30 years the mongols haven't done anything since then other than beat off a Shiite Jihad for Khiva

I heard that sometimes the mongols don't do anything and got sad because otherwise this world has been pretty fun.

Horde rules changed for the Mongols after horse lords. It used to be that Nahua (Aztec) and Mongol culture could use the tribal invasion CB as any religion except Christian ones. Now it's just Nahua, and Mongols have been demoted to the same horde type as Hungarians and all the other steppe cultures. They have to be pagan to use the invasion CB. In horse lords, they tend to convert to Islam or Buddhism pretty quickly, which immediately nerfs their invasion CB. Not sure if that's what's happening in your game, but that tends to be the first thing that stops Mongol expansion from what I've seen.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Just getting a friend into the game, looking for a good, newbie friendly coop start. Either near each other, or as him a vassal under me but still with something to do. Thoughts? I'm fairly experienced so don't mind a somewhat hard start.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm playing as Mali and the Abbasids just took all the counties I need in order to form the kingdom of Africa. Which I need to do in order to be able to form the empire of Mali.Fighting them is probably impossible so I'm considering swearing fealty and then forming a faction to put me in charge and spy on the big cheese until I can kidnap him and then once I have him in a cell I can force my demands. Will this work out or do I need to have a claim or some poo poo?

My plan b is giving all my spare cash to any vassals of the caliph that hate him in hopes that they'll use it to buy merceneries when they eventually revolt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Elendil004 posted:

Just getting a friend into the game, looking for a good, newbie friendly coop start. Either near each other, or as him a vassal under me but still with something to do. Thoughts? I'm fairly experienced so don't mind a somewhat hard start.

A lot of a vassal' game is plotting against their liege so if you want co-op maybe try something like being two counts in the HRE around 1066-1072?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm playing as Mali and the Abbasids just took all the counties I need in order to form the kingdom of Africa. Which I need to do in order to be able to form the empire of Mali.Fighting them is probably impossible so I'm considering swearing fealty and then forming a faction to put me in charge and spy on the big cheese until I can kidnap him and then once I have him in a cell I can force my demands. Will this work out or do I need to have a claim or some poo poo?

My plan b is giving all my spare cash to any vassals of the caliph that hate him in hopes that they'll use it to buy merceneries when they eventually revolt.

You can't start a war with someone in your prieon. :(

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Snatch Duster posted:

You can't start a war with someone in your prieon. :(

Can you make a faction demand though?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of getting into the game, I realised I'd be able to run it OK in windowed mode at low res, so looks like we're good to go for now.

I was trying the Petty Kingdom of Munster start but the wiki walkthrough made it sound super easy to march over and make your preexisting de-jure claim (Desmond, IIRC) bend the knee. I only have a slight edge on him in levies though, and my one vassal (who starts out with a negative opinion of me) will only offer to field something pathetic like 135 dudes after some mild bribing, so even if I smash Desmond's army in the field, the siege goes nowhere. I had picked a noble for a wife both times I tried and one time Navarra sent 2,000 troops to help when I asked, but it still seemed to be locked at an impasse against the ~850 I was sieging against.

Would honorary title + gold (of which I don't start out with much) be necessary to butter up the vassal so he'll send more troops? Even then, I'd be lucky to have 2000ish troops against Desmond's 1.1-1.3k.

edit: did some more Googling and it does look like his marginal opinion of me is to blame. Guessing I should give him the highest honorary title (regent, +20) and then bribe him, and hope for the best? Like I said though, I still feel like I don't have that much of an edge over my opponent, but I also don't see any other good ways to start establishing a power base (the other counties are really no weaker, and I'd have to fabricate a claim).

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 29, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Can you make a faction demand though?

I am not sure but I think so?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Elendil004 posted:

I've been thinking the same, so I'd like to hear ideas as well. I've been thinking of the classical Ireland start but with me starting maybe as a Goodwin / Duke of Normandy / Harald and then allying with the Irish count friend.

I guess starting within the same merchant republic isn't a terrible idea either, succession is as easy as it could be and everyone in the republic usually has something to do as trading posts give those free city conquest CBs which lead to taking the whole county if the city-owning patrician has a county a set distance away (easily arranged by you)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Speaking of getting into the game, I realised I'd be able to run it OK in windowed mode at low res, so looks like we're good to go for now.

I was trying the Petty Kingdom of Munster start but the wiki walkthrough made it sound super easy to march over and make your preexisting de-jure claim (Desmond, IIRC) bend the knee. I only have a slight edge on him in levies though, and my one vassal (who starts out with a negative opinion of me) will only offer to field something pathetic like 135 dudes after some mild bribing, so even if I smash Desmond's army in the field, the siege goes nowhere. I had picked a noble for a wife both times I tried and one time Navarra sent 2,000 troops to help when I asked, but it still seemed to be locked at an impasse against the ~850 I was sieging against.

Would honorary title + gold (of which I don't start out with much) be necessary to butter up the vassal so he'll send more troops? Even then, I'd be lucky to have 2000ish troops against Desmond's 1.1-1.3k.

edit: did some more Googling and it does look like his marginal opinion of me is to blame. Guessing I should give him the highest honorary title (regent, +20) and then bribe him, and hope for the best? Like I said though, I still feel like I don't have that much of an edge over my opponent, but I also don't see any other good ways to start establishing a power base (the other counties are really no weaker, and I'd have to fabricate a claim).

A pretty standard tactic in Ireland when you start with one county is to revoke all of the baronies there. Then you get all of the levies. The tyranny penalties won't matter because you'll be left with no vassals until you conquer things. Then you'll have new vassals who weren't around when you did that tyranny and thus won't give a poo poo.

To be honest it's sort of cheating in a way but also really in the spirit of the game, I think. The game is all about taking the rules and twisting them into whatever shape you need them to be.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marrying a neighbor and then using the alliance to subjugate the others is a good method too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A pretty standard tactic in Ireland when you start with one county is to revoke all of the baronies there. Then you get all of the levies. The tyranny penalties won't matter because you'll be left with no vassals until you conquer things. Then you'll have new vassals who weren't around when you did that tyranny and thus won't give a poo poo.

To be honest it's sort of cheating in a way but also really in the spirit of the game, I think. The game is all about taking the rules and twisting them into whatever shape you need them to be.

Ahahaha, I love it! Wasn't even thinking to look below the county level, I just assumed I defaulted to being in control of all of them directly at the start of the game, although now that I think back, I remember seeing a couple of names pop up on the "vassals" list. In the case of Munster I've got a neighbouring county as well, should I revoke him and his vassals' titles too? From what I understand of the game having that many small, crappy titles would eat up your demense limit, but just starting out it wouldn't matter, and they could be gifted to people from your court after your done with your land grab anyhow.

And I agree with you on it being part of the spirit of the game, all the weird rules stuff is one of the things that got me most interested in it :getin:

Larry Parrish posted:

Marrying a neighbor and then using the alliance to subjugate the others is a good method too.

One of the things the tutorials was saying was that there doesn't usually start out anyone in Ireland that's eligible. I'll have to give the list of ladies a closer look next time though, because that would make the most sense and be relatively straightforward.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

One of the things the tutorials was saying was that there doesn't usually start out anyone in Ireland that's eligible. I'll have to give the list of ladies a closer look next time though, because that would make the most sense and be relatively straightforward.

Try to remember that you're not ever on a timer in CK2. It's ok if for example you don't gain any land with your first ruler.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2018

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh boy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I never got that whole 'modder nerd pride' thing, like, at all. You make a mod and work on it, and they make theirs and work on it. Getting all hostile and territorial over that horseshit, or particularly ridiculous motivations like: "I hate this mod so much that I will go into modding, just to stick it to them!" is just about the most pathetic thing you can do with a legitimately cool hobby that's, ultimately, supposed to be about relaxing in front of your computer while you tinker with something you like.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Volkerball posted:

Now it's just Nahua, and Mongols have been demoted to the same horde type as Hungarians and all the other steppe cultures. They have to be pagan to use the invasion CB. In horse lords, they tend to convert to Islam or Buddhism pretty quickly, which immediately nerfs their invasion CB.

Fairly sure that's no longer the case, instead the invasion cb is tied to your population, so if you are at 90% of your population cap you get to invade, no matter what culture or religion you have.
So now all hordes are allowed to tribal invasion, but cultures lose it after settling, and being at 90% of your population is very rare.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 24, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Edison was a dick posted:

Fairly sure that's no longer the case, instead the invasion cb is tied to your population, so if you are at 90% of your population cap you get to invade, no matter what culture or religion you have.
So now all hordes are allowed to tribal invasion, but cultures lose it after settling, and being at 90% of your population is very rare.

Did a quick test.

Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Mongol culture and pagan religion: Invasion CB at the cost of 500 prestige
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Mongol culture and Buddhist religion: No invasion CB
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Nahua culture and pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 500 prestige
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Nahua culture and Buddhist religion: No invasion CB
Nomadic Mongol with pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige with 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Mongol with Buddhist religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige with 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with Buddhist religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with Catholic religion (against Orthodox character): Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement

So religion plays into it if you've settled, but any nomad will always have the invasion CB, even Catholics against other Catholics. Also both Nahua and Mongol culture got nerfed to being on the same tier as Khazar, Avar, Hungarian, etc prior to Horse Lords. RIP Feudal Buddhist Mongol playthroughs. A Catholic horde could be a ton of fun though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Volkerball posted:

Did a quick test.

Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Mongol culture and pagan religion: Invasion CB at the cost of 500 prestige
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Mongol culture and Buddhist religion: No invasion CB
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Nahua culture and pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 500 prestige
Feudal/Republican/Tribal with Nahua culture and Buddhist religion: No invasion CB
Nomadic Mongol with pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige with 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Mongol with Buddhist religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige with 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with pagan religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with Buddhist religion: Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement
Nomadic Irishman with Catholic religion (against Orthodox character): Invasion CB at cost of 100 prestige and 90% population max a requirement

So religion plays into it if you've settled, but any nomad will always have the invasion CB, even Catholics against other Catholics. Also both Nahua and Mongol culture got nerfed to being on the same tier as Khazar, Avar, Hungarian, etc prior to Horse Lords. RIP Feudal Buddhist Mongol playthroughs. A Catholic horde could be a ton of fun though.

The real test is if Mongols, Khitans, and Nahuas keep the Invasion CB if they're Jain.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
As nomad, is there any reason not to pillage all holdings into nothingness?

Edit: I see at least one reason why not. Hello 30% revolt risk!

Freakus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 29, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ahahaha, I love it! Wasn't even thinking to look below the county level, I just assumed I defaulted to being in control of all of them directly at the start of the game, although now that I think back, I remember seeing a couple of names pop up on the "vassals" list. In the case of Munster I've got a neighbouring county as well, should I revoke him and his vassals' titles too? From what I understand of the game having that many small, crappy titles would eat up your demense limit, but just starting out it wouldn't matter, and they could be gifted to people from your court after your done with your land grab anyhow.

And I agree with you on it being part of the spirit of the game, all the weird rules stuff is one of the things that got me most interested in it :getin:

If you have one or two counties all of the baronies should fit in your demense. The few barons that you started with will hate you forever but gently caress 'em. Without baronies they can't do anything.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Freakus posted:

Obviously you shouldn't pillage your own holy sites, especially if you want to reform your religion. If you leave two holdings in a county it doesn't count as nomadic, so you still get the full population benefits without having to give anything to vassal clans. This may just be me, but I like to keep strong non-nomadic vassals, since they can provide boatloads of levies/ships/taxes, plus possible dynasty prestige, and you can't grant a county if it doesn't have a capital holding.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Freakus posted:

It's a pain in the rear end and takes forever

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Delthalaz posted:

It's a pain in the rear end and takes forever

TBH, while I'm down with nomads being made somewhat less OP, in return I don't see a reason not to make pillage (a mechanic that is utterly unique to them) last shorter. With them not being so OP, it's not as simple to win with them, but if you do win as them the rewards are big, brutal, fast and burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It took me like 30 years to pillage down the middle east. 9 hours or so at slow speed it was awful.

• Locked thread