Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
What the gently caress is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Rexroom posted:

What the gently caress is going on?

An argument between two people who have a history of getting probated in suomiketju.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Ligur posted:

This is what happens when people figure out they are unable to vote to affect things.

We'll see more of this.

aahahahahhahahahahahhaa

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

quote:

you are a loving jew and i am going to kill you.

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

I was probated in this thread for ironically threatening to kill someone so now I guess I am just going to have to say that in the true spirit of aikido I am going to kick your rear end

minkä takia sinä ja muut halla-ahon kaltaiset henkilöt selittelette kirjoituksianne ironialla

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Hogge Wild posted:

minkä takia sinä ja muut halla-ahon kaltaiset henkilöt selittelette kirjoituksianne ironialla

I'm not sure BGH has written anything serious in this thread yet. He's mostly being a parody of people.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Valiantman posted:

I'm not sure BGH has written anything serious in this thread yet. He's mostly being a parody of people.

trying to parody people here is only going to get you mistaken for the genuine article

thanks, poe's law

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Ligur posted:

IIRC some punk wanted to meet me in this thread for a beer so he could properly observe how cowardly I am, but didn't like his options after learning I teach people how to kick and punch.

That was me and offer still stands. We live in a different parts of the country so of course setting this event is difficult.

And I am tougher guy than you because I dare to walk streets at night even though I can't kick or punch for poo poo.

Ligur posted:

I just don't give a poo poo.

Like the world's biggest :ironicat: Hopefully you have donated hefty sum for womens turvakoti, oh defender of women?

So how about some Finnish politics? Why our current government gets away with all their enormous lies and gently caress ups? How we have come to this point? Jäätteenmäki and Ike had to leave for much less incompetence.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
To be honest the real problem is once again Kauhava.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
What does this Hallintarekisteri do in practice? They keep talking about it and mentioning it every day on news articles but none of them put in any info on what it does or how it works, besides that all sensible officials are against it and it supposedly helps tax evasion.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Gortarius posted:

What does this Hallintarekisteri do in practice? They keep talking about it and mentioning it every day on news articles but none of them put in any info on what it does or how it works, besides that all sensible officials are against it and it supposedly helps tax evasion.

Hides ownership information of various financial products, a good way of not paying tax and hiding conflicts of interest.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Stubi has a massive stiffy for the hallintarekisteri, which is all you need to know about it

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Bensa posted:

Hides ownership information of various financial products, a good way of not paying tax and hiding conflicts of interest.

So what the hell sort of excuse do they have for trying to implement it?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Gortarius posted:

I suppose not having to pay tax could contribute to improving tekemisen meininki or something. It's part of the talkoohenki we have going on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Seriouspost: KANSA ON VALINNUT

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

So how about some Finnish politics? Why our current government gets away with all their enormous lies and gently caress ups?

What's the alternative?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's the alternative?

Communism

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

No, I asked what the alternative was?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Gortarius posted:

It supposedly will make the rich invest in Finland more and create jobs. That's how Kok sells all their policies.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

doverhog posted:

It supposedly will make the rich invest in Finland more and create jobs. That's how Kok sells all their policies.

Foreign investors already have a hallintarekisteri though? This one only affects finns. Why would Stub deceive us like that?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Hob_Gadling posted:

What's the alternative?

Government that doesn't lie and gently caress things up.

If you think that is impossible then I have to ask: why haven't you committed suicide?

An honest question. If everything is going to be poo poo forever and communism is an impossibility, what is the point of living? You know it is just going to get worse, why wait that.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Fish of hemp posted:

If you think that is impossible then I have to ask: why haven't you committed suicide?

An honest question. If everything is going to be poo poo forever and communism is an impossibility, what is the point of living? You know it is just going to get worse, why wait that.

Seeing all this poo poo unfold is pretty funny to be honest. You'd miss that if you killed yourself.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fish of hemp posted:

Government that doesn't lie and gently caress things up.

dsyp

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

If everything is going to be poo poo forever and communism is an impossibility, what is the point of living?

D&D.txt

I still have beer and they don't serve that in heaven.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

No, I asked what the alternative was?

Look at Canada.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

Look at Canada.

Are you suggesting we murder all the Saami people?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

Me ollaan kaikki samassa veneessä, mutta me kaikki kuollaan yksin.

Jos et oo lukenu Kershaw'n The End:iä, niin spoiler: Jopa Hitlerin Saksan viimeisinä päivinä aika moni asukki päätti olla tappamatta itteään. Toki moni tappoi ittensä, varsinkin naiset idässä koska punainen peto jee än ee, mutta moni oli tappamatta. Asioiden pitää olla aika paskasti että "yleisten syiden" (LOL) takia käy itteltänsä henkeä riistämmään.

Joo, Alex Schtubbbbb on liskoihminen pahimmasta päästä, elää muiden kärsimyksestä ja tulee kuolemaan varakkaana ja onnellisena. Sibis vie tasavallan vessanpönttöön ja saa palkinnoksi viran Brysselistä. Soini kuolee veritulppaan.

Siitä huolimatta elämä valtaosalle immeisistä jatkuu. Ja he haluavat sen jatkuvan. Ei se ole Irman elämässä niin justiinsa valehteleeko joku valtioneuvostossa, Irmaa huolettaa lastenlapsien koulutie ja eläkkeelle lähtö. Oot aika sekaisin jos meinaat että kaikkien pitäis tappaa ittensä koska asiat ei tästä paremmaksi muutu.

LOL, vitsi vitsi, tappakaa ittenne, kaikki on paskaa

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bensa posted:

You haven't actually explained what they do, you've just repeated a common media complaint about it. How is ownership hidden by organisations that track/register/transfer ownership rights? How come in many systems where this has been done under a system that allows competition for years (pretty much everywhere except Finland) people still go abroad to hide taxes (i.e. Swiss bank accounts, Cayman shell corporations) instead of just "using a dodgy hallintarekisteri"? Do you think the US, Germany and Britain's tracking of individual stock holdings is any worse than Finland's?

Basically, instead of being lazy and just repeating what the media and Li Andersson's twatter account tells you, how about you actually break it down for me to show you understand what a hallintarekisteri is:

1) What is the current system for registering share ownership?
2) What is the proposed system for registering share ownership?
3) How does the proposed system facilitate tax dodging?
4) What safeguards can be taken against the system facilitating tax dodging?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

You haven't actually explained what they do, you've just repeated a common media complaint about it. How is ownership hidden by organisations that track/register/transfer ownership rights? How come in many systems where this has been done under a system that allows competition for years (pretty much everywhere except Finland) people still go abroad to hide taxes (i.e. Swiss bank accounts, Cayman shell corporations) instead of just "using a dodgy hallintarekisteri"? Do you think the US, Germany and Britain's tracking of individual stock holdings is any worse than Finland's?

Basically, instead of being lazy and just repeating what the media and Li Andersson's twatter account tells you, how about you actually break it down for me to show you understand what a hallintarekisteri is:

1) What is the current system for registering share ownership?
2) What is the proposed system for registering share ownership?
3) How does the proposed system facilitate tax dodging?
4) What safeguards can be taken against the system facilitating tax dodging?

Could you please explain the reasons why we should move to a hallintarekisteri in the first place? Our government certainly hasn't done that

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's a no-brainer. If a proposed law is so awful that Stubb finds it necessary to lie the teeth out of his mouth, then it must be hilariously bad and is only serving EK's interests.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Gortarius posted:

"Everybody else is doing it too!"

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Do you think the US, Germany and Britain's tracking of individual stock holdings is any worse than Finland's?

90% of the civil servants in whose area of expertise this thing falls sure seem to think so.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I forget: is Geriatric Pirate an actual lahtari or just stupid?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

An actual lahtari

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

How is ownership hidden by organisations that track/register/transfer ownership rights?

The ability of law-enforcement to track criminal financial patterns depends on having access to a broad dataset. With hallintarekisteri not all information is immediately available and would need to be specifically requested in an investigation (this varies on the implemented system), but if you would need that data to get to the point where you can show probable cause you're in a catch 22 situation. So its a great way to stop shady business being detected unless something else pops up elsewhere that can be used to justify data requests. And it won't stop there, you can bet if it goes through that further obfuscating measures will follow which will also serve the interests of the same people.

If you've happened to visit a bank recently you should know that anyone with an ordinary bank account needs to tell the bank all sorts of information about incoming and outgoing transactions, possible values and countries for foreign transfers etc. If the government is leaning so hard on the banks to collect information from low net-worth individuals to cut down on the grey market, money laundering etc, then why shouldn't investments be subject to such data collection? The amounts of money involved and the ability of those involved in concealing dealings are far greater.

The justification for this is the same as the government cutting down the funding of the financial investigation division, which is efficient enough to actually turn a profit so its not an actual cost cutting measure. Its not about business or a financially sound systems, its purely ideological/cronyism/corruption.

Edit: And whats the possible benefit? Less paperwork for banks?

Bensa fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 29, 2015

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Jerry Cotton posted:

false dilemma

he is both

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El Perkele posted:

false dilemma

he is both

:doh:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Andrast posted:

Could you please explain the reasons why we should move to a hallintarekisteri in the first place? Our government certainly hasn't done that

There are basically no good reasons other than "everyone else has done it and the EU sort of wants us to do it", but it doesn't make a big difference either way.

Here are some potential reasons though: https://www.fkl.fi/ajankohtaista/tiedotteet/Sivut/Miksi_finanssiala_kannattaa_hallintarekisteria_I.aspx
(for the lazy/people who can't read, they are 1) useful for large investors who need to offer their shares for collateral / shorting 2) compliant with EU rules 3) helps small Finnish banks)

Herman Merman posted:

90% of the civil servants in whose area of expertise this thing falls sure seem to think so.

Yeah and the Bank of Finland, most banks and Finance Ministry are for it, but do you know what it actually is?

Bensa posted:

The ability of law-enforcement to track criminal financial patterns depends on having access to a broad dataset. With hallintarekisteri not all information is immediately available and would need to be specifically requested in an investigation (this varies on the implemented system), but if you would need that data to get to the point where you can show probable cause you're in a catch 22 situation. So its a great way to stop shady business being detected unless something else pops up elsewhere that can be used to justify data requests. And it won't stop there, you can bet if it goes through that further obfuscating measures will follow which will also serve the interests of the same people.
As far as I'm aware, this is not true. You wouldn't need probable cause any more than now. The current system is also run by a private company (Euroclear) and as far as I know, no probable cause is required to request data. With hallintarekisteri I don't see why it would be different - other than you get data with a one quarter lag (I don't know if the current APK data is real time for outsiders anyway, and the police need to access it on Euroclear computers to begin with). Some banks have even argued (http://www.hs.fi/talous/a1444273984333) that you could increase transparency this way. Not to mention this doesn't change how people avoid taxes or hide their holdings. When holdings are hidden, it's usually through some archaic corporate structure which was always possible without this anyway. Nothing (well, many things are, but nothing about this system compared to foreign systems with hallintarekisteri) is stopping a rich Finnish guy who wants to hide his holding in some company from establishing a company abroad and then using that company to buy the shares they want.

edit: I should say I mean hallintarekisteri as it's currently proposed in Finland, where the data would still be made public 4 times per year

quote:

If you've happened to visit a bank recently you should know that anyone with an ordinary bank account needs to tell the bank all sorts of information about incoming and outgoing transactions, possible values and countries for foreign transfers etc. If the government is leaning so hard on the banks to collect information from low net-worth individuals to cut down on the grey market, money laundering etc, then why shouldn't investments be subject to such data collection? The amounts of money involved and the ability of those involved in concealing dealings are far greater.
There are really strict compliance standards for stock transfer agents/custodians/nominees everywhere around the world, often in conjunction with banks/brokers who use the same process for investors as normal banking clients. I don't see why it would be any different in Finland.

quote:

The justification for this is the same as the government cutting down the funding of the financial investigation division, which is efficient enough to actually turn a profit so its not an actual cost cutting measure. Its not about business or a financially sound systems, its purely ideological/cronyism/corruption.
If the level of misinformation concerning that cutback is anything close to the level of misinformation flying around about hallintarekisteri, I'd take it with a grain of salt. The Finnish media seems to be very bad at understanding economic concepts. People think it's some sort of archaic system that blurs visibility of holdings and so on (yet for some reason it's being pushed by financial regulators around Europe) that's unique to Finland when our system is the unique one. I've yet to read a single newspaper article actually explaining what the proposed system does, and that's probably because journalists are incapable of writing one. Yet everyone has an opinion on how terrible it is and how easy tax evasion and Financial crime will become.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 29, 2015

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
Let's consult dear leader.

quote:

Tääkin on taas semmonen tärkeä asia, että meidän täytyy saada Suomeen pääomia, täytyy saada Suomeen sijoituksia ja me ollaan niinku vähä investoinneissa oltu sellaisessa pullonkaulatilanteessa, täytyy tehdä sellainen järjestelmä jolla asiat saadaan sujumaan.

Lähde

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, why would anyone try to illegally avoid taxes or something using a hallintarekisteri when you can legally avoid taxes and registering your share ownership through financial products that are advertised on the main webpages of our biggest banks:

OP https://www.op.fi/media/liitteet?cid=151671410&srcpl=4
Nordea http://www.nordea.fi/henkiloasiakkaat/saastot/sijoittaminen/capital-sopimus.html

There we go, park your savings in those, avoid capital gains tax until you take out the money (or avoid it totally by moving to Sweden for 6 months to take it out) and do all your trading even more anonymously than a nominee registration would allow you. If you've actually got savings worth poo poo, you can even do this with higher customization and almost 0 fees.

Jyppe posted:

Let's consult dear leader.

Lähde

This is actually a good article, other than when the guy starts injecting his own opinions, especially about how we should be "a leader" by having our own system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Also, why would anyone try to illegally avoid taxes or something using a hallintarekisteri when you can legally avoid taxes and registering your share ownership through financial products that are advertised on the main webpages of our biggest banks:

Hmm, perhaps the best way to deter tax avoidance isn't to create new vehicles for it but rather outlaw existing ones? Just an idea.