Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly, Bifford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
It was kinda neat that he basically ran an smg style bait and aggravate scam, but used the persona of a clod instead of a coked up intro to film studies Jr. College adjunct, and got some folks horny with consternation, but now it is over and who gives a poo poo anyway.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
great, what the gently caress are we supposed to talk about now???

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
all these super hero movies are garbage for fat children, go outside and throw a ball you miserable fucks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harime Nui posted:

all these super hero movies are garbage for fat children, go outside and throw a ball you miserable fucks

Especially the directors.

loving Zack Snyder, go to a gym some time you giant nerd!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Burkion posted:

Especially the directors.

loving Zack Snyder, go to a gym some time you giant nerd!

No no, he is a fratboy dudebro and that's why he is dumb and bad!

I think that's the dumb narrative about him, anyway?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

great, what the gently caress are we supposed to talk about now???

There's new stuff on Monday during Gotham.

Also Henry Cavill just adopted a baby bat he named Ben.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLeBfeXlPBc

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
PS please remember to put that space in between the words 'super' and 'hero' or otherwise pay due IP rights to Marvel and DC comics publishers.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just wanted to say that I finally got around to reading the essays in this thread and enjoyed them all. Bifford's for a different reason obviously.

Goldmine and start anew imo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

sean10mm posted:

No no, he is a fratboy dudebro and that's why he is dumb and bad!

I think that's the dumb narrative about him, anyway?

I imagine him showing up at d&d games in a mesh t-shirt and breathing hard through his eternally open mouth. I imagine that a lot. Am I imagining it now? ...yes! Yes I am!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mysterious frankie posted:

I imagine him showing up at d&d games in a mesh t-shirt and breathing hard through his eternally open mouth. I imagine that a lot. Am I imagining it now? ...yes! Yes I am!

No, that's Henry Cavill.

quote:

Indeed, his love of games is so great that when director Zack Snyder called to offer him the Man of Steel role, he nearly missed out due to playing World of Warcraft. “I saw it was him [calling] but the thing is, you can’t save World of Warcraft, you can’t pause it. It’s live.”

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Daw. I hear Vin Diesel both loves crpgs and is super intense about it. They should all get together and form a muscley dweeb club.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Daw. I hear Vin Diesel both loves crpgs and is super intense about it. They should all get together and form a muscley dweeb club.

You have to wait a while, though. One of his recent Instagram photos was of his newly-bought Fallout 4.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This was legitimately funny as loving hell. I always thought Bifford was having a goof in the Dredd thread but that guy is the real deal. Good on him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Hey who's looking forward to the bit where batman growls and punches someone?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just to be clear, the cycle of violence is the bike that Dredd rides, right?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

No no, that's the motorbike of vengeance, the motorbike of vengeance brings justice to the perpetrators of crime, which ends the cycle of violence, etc etc.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
this thread opened my eyes to the extreme misfortunes of janitors and the inherent virtue in their line of work

I salute u janitors

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
drat, he's already gone? What am I gonna do with this big list of the similarities between Dredd and Ma-Ma?

I really enjoyed the Sandler essays. Great thread!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I imagine he loses quite a few of them in his line of work so it's probably accurate to say that many criminals Dredd kills end another Cycle of Violence :rock:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Hey who's looking forward to the bit where batman growls and punches someone?

The amount of armor they'd need to layer on Afflect to make me forget he's Affleck would turn this into a film about a surly living tank trying to take out Britain's official clit engorger.

I have a fake grudge for yuks against Ben, you see.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The amount of armor they'd need to layer on Afflect to make me forget he's Affleck would turn this into a film about a surly living tank trying to take out Britain's official clit engorger.

I have a fake grudge for yuks against Ben, you see.

I was sceptical of Affleck too, but I've been turned around, I want to see him as batman......and I wanna see leto as joker, but only cause he might be hilariously poo poo.
Couldn't give a toss about suicide squad mind.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I was sceptical of Affleck too, but I've been turned around, I want to see him as batman......and I wanna see leto as joker, but only cause he might be hilariously poo poo.
Couldn't give a toss about suicide squad mind.

I want tons of out-of-costume Bruce Wayne because those shots have been dope as gently caress so far. Leto seems like such a douche and I hate 30 Seconds to Mars so I'm trying to give him some benefit of the doubt while not expecting much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blisster posted:

drat, he's already gone? What am I gonna do with this big list of the similarities between Dredd and Ma-Ma?

I really enjoyed the Sandler essays. Great thread!

Tell them to me. I have a list of my own, but I'm sure there's a bunch I've missed.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the great irony of this whole thing is that the Dredd conversation took place and Baron was essentially putting himself into the role of MaMa, committing more and more crimes against movie criticism because of the way he was raised to watch movies, and hbomber ended up in the Dredd position of having control over whether he lived or died for those crimes. I'm glad you weren't the one who probated him to death, hbomber, you would have just proven him right about his weird "criminals are scum and cannot change" thing that he had going on.

I dunno if that's what he intended though.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ben Affleck is a mediocre actor but Batman requires no acting talent. He'll be fine.

It's a shame that the Suicide Squad has two unkillable members...thus defeating the purpose of the Suicide Squad. .

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Their objective isn't actually to commit suicide.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Hbomberguy posted:

Their objective isn't actually to commit suicide.

Oh I know. The point is that they're expendable and that any of them can die. At least it was before nu52 and Deadshot/Harley.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The whole gimmick of the Suicide Squad, going back to the very first comic book series, was that characters could get Killed Off For Real and in fact I may be misremembering but I think the first series actually had the gimmick that a squad member would die in every issue. Ofc. even back then, Deadshot was basically the main character and p. safe from being written out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

Oh I know. The point is that they're expendable and that any of them can die. At least it was before nu52 and Deadshot/Harley.

pssst

deadshot living was a thing in the original run of suicide, that's where the character's popularity comes from

Harime Nui posted:

The whole gimmick of the Suicide Squad, going back to the very first comic book series, was that characters could get Killed Off For Real and in fact I may be misremembering but I think the first series actually had the gimmick that a squad member would die in every issue. Ofc. even back then, Deadshot was basically the main character and p. safe from being written out.

every mission aka every story arc but yeah

then deadshot got popular and ostrander decided to keep him around because he was interesting to write about because he's the one guy who really wants to kill batman but has realized that he will never actually kill batman

to the point where batman is like "Yeah i'm right here, you could shoot me if you wanted to, but you won't will you?" and deadshot just turns away

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I was going to write a Sandler essay but then I read the ones in the thread and realized how outclassed I was going to be.

This weekend I'm thankful for the effort people put into Sandler analysis, or Sandlerysis

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Someone who watched those awful movies recently please remind me, did any of the Expendables actually die?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone who watched those awful movies recently please remind me, did any of the Expendables actually die?

I think Liam Hemsworth died in one of them. No one else.

...was that supposed to for the General Movie Questions thread or did I miss an Expendables derail?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Branching off the mention of a character dying in every arc of Suicide Squad and drawing a parallel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LesterGroans posted:

I think Liam Hemsworth died in one of them. No one else.

...was that supposed to for the General Movie Questions thread or did I miss an Expendables derail?

Mea culpa for causing confusion. I just thought that it's funny that no one ever dies in teams whose whole gimmick rests on "everyone on this team is expendable."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Branching off the mention of a character dying in every arc of Suicide Squad and drawing a parallel.

Oh, of course. I'm an idiot.

Grendels Dad posted:

Mea culpa for causing confusion. I just thought that it's funny that no one ever dies in teams whose whole gimmick rests on "everyone on this team is expendable."

Yeah, it's real stupid. Even the one who turns on them in the first movie survives. And Stallone disbands the team in 3 because Terry Crews is put in the hospital and he feels guilty.

Expendables

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

At this point we're basically waiting most of those actors out.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Things are never actually up to chance. There's only ever the sense that anyone can die - in reality it's all planned out by skilled artists.

I think the real test of a story where characters die a lot is how good it is on a rewatch, when you know what happens. Can you invest in the story when you already know the plot?

Harime Nui convinced me to watch the suicide squad animated movie and it's good a second time around because even the characters who die serve the story - not just in terms of 'his skills help the team do X', but like, add to the themes in an interesting way. It's really a story about how hosed up Batman is even though he's barely in it and not the perspective-character.

edit:

Dear GOD

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 30, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Probated people can still send PMs? For those 100,000 hour probations it must be like getting messages from the afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

edit:

Dear GOD

I can't imagine what is in those PMs but it must be terrifying and/or amazing.

• Locked thread