Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
What's not subjective is the price bloat of 15-18yr (many 15s are temporarily unavailable) old whiskies not from Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie.

Which leads me to another suggestion: Safely under US$100, Glenlivet 18 is simply great at its price.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I enjoyed the nadurra, might try that again.. Or the oban. So many choices at that price

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

kidsafe posted:

What's not subjective is the price bloat of 15-18yr (many 15s are temporarily unavailable) old whiskies not from Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie.

Which leads me to another suggestion: Safely under US$100, Glenlivet is simply great at its price.

Everyone seems to be going the NAS route....

Glenlivet 12 will be US market only soon. The Founders Reserve (NAS) is replacing it everywhere else.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

First Time Caller posted:

My new favorite scotch. Lightly salted fruit / yoghurt on the nose, how interesting and different. vanilla / smoke on the tongue/finish with...

Went to the local boozery to pick up some of that award winning Crown Royal, but apparently they sold out 95 bottles in 10 minutes...

Remembered this Bruichladdich recommendation and picked it it up instead. Not bad!

Agreed it has a yogurty/creamy flavor and a whiff of smoke, very nice. Not much in the way of finish, imho... not quite sure , need to drink more. Good buy.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
When diluting whiskey/whiskey with water. Is there a specific type of water that you're meant to use?

I know someone who only uses pure/distilled water because supposedly regular tap water or even filtered water kills off the notes in the whisky.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Raphisonfire posted:

When diluting whiskey/whiskey with water. Is there a specific type of water that you're meant to use?

I know someone who only uses pure/distilled water because supposedly regular tap water or even filtered water kills off the notes in the whisky.

https://youtu.be/gjp8ETweF-8

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Summary: Use whatever water you think tastes good and would drink plain. The distilleries typically dilute their final product with spring water from a local source.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

And a follow-up
Typically, normal filtered water (eg brita) is fine unless you're an rear end in a top hat

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I just use tap, but if my guests cared about it I'd tell them it was fancy bottled water :fyadride:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Depends on the quality of the tap water too, if you live in a country with chlorinated tap water I'd recommend against using it for whisk(e)y. Here the tap water isn't chlorinated or fluoridated and is of excellent quality so I use it straight from the tap, no brita or anything.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Depends on the quality of the tap water too, if you live in a country with chlorinated tap water I'd recommend against using it for whisk(e)y

Yes here my tap water is chlorinated to literal public swimming pool levels. A run through the brita works wonders.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like my tap water taste here and use it without issue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah and it of course differs per region as well, I moved cross-country and the water here is much softer than where I previously lived so it's even better.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I use my tap water here but at a friend's place who has a different water supply it has an off taste.

So yeah, go with what works for you. poo poo, just keeping a single bottle of Fiji for it will last forever since you only use a few drops per glass.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I tend to add two caps full of water to a 1.5oz or 50mL pour. It honestly depends on the whisky. I don't add any water to my 2010 unpeated Caol Ila (66% ABV) for example...it's much too delicate for it. Older whiskies also tend to be very delicate, but you still need to add a drop or two to help break up lignin micelles.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I bought a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store for a dollar. It lasts a while.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I joined a german FB group for whisky drinkers and there's people splitting up multiple bottles daily and distributing them via mail. Seems like a great way to try expensive or rare stuff, or just try before you buy. Does anyone here do this regularly? I just grabbed 10cl of Glendronach Peated.

Also grabbed a bottle of Laphroaig QC on amazon yesterday for an awesome 21 euros/22 dollars. Too bad there was a limit of 1 per person, I love that stuff.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Armed Neutrality posted:

I joined a german FB group for whisky drinkers and there's people splitting up multiple bottles daily and distributing them via mail. Seems like a great way to try expensive or rare stuff, or just try before you buy. Does anyone here do this regularly? I just grabbed 10cl of Glendronach Peated.

I remember a website that did this as its gimmick, selling taster samplers of assorted whisk(e)ys and liquors.

e: Drinks by the Dram

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone know of the best way to ship whisky? I live in MA, USA and would like to ship a bottle or two out to friends for Christmas gifts, but it looks like shipping liquor as a private customer isn't going to be easy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

That Works posted:

Anyone know of the best way to ship whisky? I live in MA, USA and would like to ship a bottle or two out to friends for Christmas gifts, but it looks like shipping liquor as a private customer isn't going to be easy.

Put it in a box, buy a shipping label from FedEx online, take it to a dropoff location and leave. Don't tell them what's inside. It's simple.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
The best way is to buy the bottles from a vendor that will ship them for you. But even that may not work, depending on where you and the recipients live, because laws about shipping liquor are kind of hosed up.

Second best is to buy bottle shipper boxes and send them without mentioning what is in them. If quizzed, say that they contain salad dressing or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jo3sh posted:

The best way is to buy the bottles from a vendor that will ship them for you. But even that may not work, depending on where you and the recipients live, because laws about shipping liquor are kind of hosed up.

Second best is to buy bottle shipper boxes and send them without mentioning what is in them. If quizzed, say that they contain salad dressing or something.

cryme posted:

Put it in a box, buy a shipping label from FedEx online, take it to a dropoff location and leave. Don't tell them what's inside. It's simple.

Most of the bottles are already bought / random stuff I or my wife picked up overseas so sadly can't go through a vendor for what I had in mind.

What are the real risks / issues with doing the label / no mention stuff? Just don't want to end up catching poo poo for it later on if something happened.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
USPS won't knowingly let private parties ship alcohol at all, and it's technically illegal.

UPS and FedEx have a policy against it but it's not actually illegal so far as I know unless you're doing it to avoid age restrictions.

Realistically, none of them will know unless the bottle breaks. The bottle shippers with the styrofoam insert are pretty bulletproof. I'd use UPS or FedEx, and then apologize if it ever comes up, feigning ignorance of the policy. But it won't come up.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

That Works posted:

Most of the bottles are already bought / random stuff I or my wife picked up overseas so sadly can't go through a vendor for what I had in mind.

What are the real risks / issues with doing the label / no mention stuff? Just don't want to end up catching poo poo for it later on if something happened.

You do realize that huge amounts of illegal drugs are shipped through FedEx and UPS all day every day? No one's looking to take you to jail for sending your friends some booze.

Get some styrofoam bottle shipping containers, put them in a plastic bag so if there's breakage you don't end up with a whiskey soaked box, and do what cryme said.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Big Bidness posted:

You do realize that huge amounts of illegal drugs are shipped through FedEx and UPS all day every day? No one's looking to take you to jail for sending your friends some booze.

Get some styrofoam bottle shipping containers, put them in a plastic bag so if there's breakage you don't end up with a whiskey soaked box, and do what cryme said.

Cool thanks. Did not really know about the shipping of drugs thing!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've personally watched people pack multiple pounds of marijuana into large Styrofoam boxes and mail them across the country. It's nuts.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

I've shipped a few boxes of beer in my day. Styro-shippers for wine are great. Pack it nice and tight, bag it up and set it free. I've never been asked what I'm sending, just if I want insurance on it.

I recently had Bowmore Devils Cask Release II. 10 years in first use Sherry casks. As a sucker for anything with so much as a sherry finish, this was excellent.
I also had Rittenhouse 100 proof Straight Rye. It's a touch too expensive here in Canada ( especially when Dark Horse is $30 because of the brand) but it's a really well put together drink.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Boss got me a bottle of Van Winkle 10yr, just because <3

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

Boss got me a bottle of Van Winkle 10yr, just because <3

Today I was checking the one store that I check weekly for new/limited releases. I ask the guy if anything good has come in and he goes in the office and pulls out bottles of Stagg, Handy, and VW10: "pick one"

I took the Stagg :)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Today I was checking the one store that I check weekly for new/limited releases. I ask the guy if anything good has come in and he goes in the office and pulls out bottles of Stagg, Handy, and VW10: "pick one"

I took the Stagg :)

Must be nice living in the middle of nowhere. So sour.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

kidsafe posted:

Must be nice living in the middle of nowhere. So sour.
I sometimes wish I lived in the middle of nowhere; this was just incredible luck combined with relationship building

Honestly, chatting them up and buying something every couple of times I walked in probably helped a lot.
I also have a strong feeling that this was from additional bottles they were later allocated beyond their initial shipment, because they told me their BTAC and Pappy came and went back in mid-November

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I sometimes wish I lived in the middle of nowhere; this was just incredible luck combined with relationship building

Honestly, chatting them up and buying something every couple of times I walked in probably helped a lot.
I also have a strong feeling that this was from additional bottles they were later allocated beyond their initial shipment, because they told me their BTAC and Pappy came and went back in mid-November

Every local shop here that gets BTAC allocations has thousands of people asking for maybe 20 total bottles. I'm pretty chummy with the K&L and Beltramo's guys, but it's still only fair that they hold a raffle for them...or reserve the bottles for customers with much bigger accounts than mine.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 5, 2015

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Same thing a step above in NYC -- hundreds of accounts asking for <100 bottles of BTAC. Restaurants and retail. Production was very small this year.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Oddly enough, this was the first year that I had zero issues buying my WLW and GTS. A store owner called me up and told me I had 24 hours to buy it from him, so I didn't even need to go out looking for it this year. :iiam:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Some perspective. This is the allocation of Pappy to the entire state of PA.

quote:

33 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon 23 Year Old, $249.99 each
30 bottles of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year Old, $99.99 each
111 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon 15 Year Old, $79.99 each
228 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon 20 Year Old, $149.99 each
384 bottles of Old Rip Van winkle Bourbon 10 Year Old, $49.99 each
777 bottles of Van winkle Special Reserve Bourbon 12 Year Old, $59.99 each

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a single bottle of old rip about 8 years ago and never found any since, and I think it'll be a good long while before I ever see any of it this side of the Atlantic.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I guess I shouldn't mention how I also walked into a store last weekend and picked one of two bottles of Handy off the shelf and another store for a behind the counter bottle of 4RLE

(I was tipped off by friends on both)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Where do you live? I'm curious.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

kidsafe posted:

Where do you live? I'm curious.

RI
I go to stores from various spots around MA and RI
It is terrible trying to find LEs at the big scotch/bourbon stores - most of my finds have been from smaller stores or big stores that aren't necessarily known for whiskey but I've become friendly with the managers
The good thing is that even though there are so many drat stores in the area - finding the store that got allocated 3 bottles they shouldn't have and will take a while to sell is still actually easier than trying to snag 1 of 12 bottles that one of the well known places gets in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Saw two bottles of Japanese whisky at Costco yesterday - Hibiki Japanese Harmony and Nikka Coffey Still Japanese Grain Whisky. Seemed like a good deal too.