Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Siri Remote: You're Holding It Wrong (The AppleTV Thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Martytoof posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Siri Remote: You're Holding It Wrong (The AppleTV Thread)

It's......it's beautiful. :stare:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Welp my boxee box is finally pissing me off enough that I want to buy an Apple TV.

questions:

-can i view/search the TV app store anywhere? I want to see whats available to see if it meets my needs (free to air on demand apps mostly)
-how is Airvideo? i use it on my ipad a lot and like it.
-can it play MP4s downloaded from the internet to my NAS that I have not added to iTunes on my iMac?
-can it install and run IOS apps such as games that I already own?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought this yesterday. It's very nice so far, though I wish Plex would show me the "poster" backgrounds instead of a blurry colorful mess.

Laserface posted:

questions:

It runs it's own apps only, and Apple hasn't added it's marketplace to iTunes or anything.

You can ask about specific apps around here.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 29, 2015

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Laserface posted:

-can it install and run IOS apps such as games that I already own?
Yes - if the app offers it. There is a purchased tab on the tvOS App Store that lists everything you own that can be installed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

Every time I buy an app I have to enter my Apple ID password.

Ah, I made a different life choice there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My YouTube app won't play two videos in a row. Like in a playlist and such. And even if the first one is an ad. So I have to skip the ads to see anything. Fun!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

(But the Awful app will post two comments in a row.)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Amazon is coming, which might be the last thing keeping me from dumping the Fire TV:

https://twitter.com/danimal/status/670404993506127872

jungn
Mar 19, 2012
Love that the new AppleTV has HDMI-CEC support and I can finally put my TV remote away. My only issue is it doesn't seem to turn the TV on when using airplay to play music(specifically Spotify). Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to get it to work?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that if I put the AppleTV to sleep, it turns off my tv. But if I wake it up and the tv is off, nothing happens. Is that normal?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've noticed that if I put the AppleTV to sleep, it turns off my tv. But if I wake it up and the tv is off, nothing happens. Is that normal?

No, mine does both.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You may need to go into your tv's menu and allow for external devices to power your tv on.

I know my Panasonic had turn off via CEC enabled but turn on disabled by default. Which is kinda weird but whatever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

You may need to go into your tv's menu and allow for external devices to power your tv on.

I know my Panasonic had turn off via CEC enabled but turn on disabled by default. Which is kinda weird but whatever.

Gotcha. I looked in the Apple TV preference to see if there was a setting I was missing. Not sure why I didn't go into my TV prefs. Thanks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CEC is incredibly annoying until the moment it actually works [many people never experience this] and after that everything is magical.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I seem to have it working with the devices that have it? The minus side is my cat keeps turning everything on by stepping on the Siri remote.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I tell you, either my Network has mysteriously gone to poo poo (randomly) or the ATV4 has some spooky "WTF"levels of FUBAR with it's wifi.

I was streaming The Polar Express all day no problem. Tried to watch a trailer in Apple Trailers an hour later, no dice. Checked Speediest App on ATV4 and I get .36 down.

I test again 5 minutes later... 14 down. All is good again.

It's like that sporadically almost every night. My ATV3 never ONCE had a spot of trouble. (Located in the same spot, no less...)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

jawbroken posted:

I'm glad it doesn't. It's designed for you to roughly swipe to a letter and then refine it, and wrapping around on overshoot would be annoying, even though it would technically be a short distance back.

I understand how it works. With wraparound overshooting Z would literally be no different than, say, overshooting Q. That argument makes no sense.

TheJoker138 posted:

You can change this in settings.

I'm not letting every rear end in a top hat or 5 year old buy poo poo on my ATV. The password is there for good reason.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

I'm not letting every rear end in a top hat or 5 year old buy poo poo on my ATV. The password is there for good reason.

I want the password on.
I get annoyed having to type the password.
:shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TBF, they could, theoretically, make a shorter PIN you have to input rather than your full password.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or integrate TouchID or let you use your phone or any number of reasonable things that reasonable people can wish :(

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I want the password on.
I get annoyed having to type the password.
:shrug:

Problem: The keyboard sucks.
Response: Apple should do voice dictation.
Problem: Unsecure for password entry
Response: But you only have to enter your password like once, ever!
Problem: No, that's not actually true.

Where we stand: the keyboard still sucks.

Henrik Zetterberg: Didn't follow context of thread and thinks this is about having to enter a password.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
There are some good avenues they could go to make password entry less of a hassle. Hopefully they will! :)

Really though, how often are you buying apps? The selection isn't exactly thriving and this is ultimately still a 75% Netflix box, 25% airplay box.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having gotten a 4K smart TV that's surprisingly decent, about all I can see myself using it for is Watch ESPN, Airplay, and Apple Music.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Having gotten a 4K smart TV that's surprisingly decent, about all I can see myself using it for is Watch ESPN, Airplay, and Apple Music.

I've been playing with my friend's for the last few days and it's a lot nicer than they used to be but still not good enough IMO (but the remote did come with a full [mini] hardware keyboard on the back side!). The inability to resume from where you left off after you turn off the tv might drive you crazy after a while. And don't forget to disable the track-what-I-watch-and-sell-it-to-advertisers feature.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

I've been playing with my friend's for the last few days and it's a lot nicer than they used to be but still not good enough IMO (but the remote did come with a full [mini] hardware keyboard on the back side!). The inability to resume from where you left off after you turn off the tv might drive you crazy after a while. And don't forget to disable the track-what-I-watch-and-sell-it-to-advertisers feature.
Mine is just built-in Android TV, and it's not really noticably slower than my ATV. It does, in fact, resume where I left off after I turn off the TV, at least for the apps. It doesn't do it for things on inputs.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is just built-in Android TV, and it's not really noticably slower than my ATV. It does, in fact, resume where I left off after I turn off the TV, at least for the apps. It doesn't do it for things on inputs.

I assumed that's what my friend's Vizio is running but maybe not. Yours sounds much better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

From what I can tell android tv is kind of lame but compared to what a tv maker will write when left to their own devices it's a masterpiece.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

from what I can tell android tv is kind of lame but compared to what a tv maker will write when left to their own devices it's a masterpiece
This is fairly accurate. It's vastly better than an ATV3, but not quite as good as an ATV4. It has a decent keyboard, at the very least. I'm honestly quite impressed with how well it performs. I don't know what Vizio uses - it might be based on Android, but it's not full Android TV like Sony.

I was actually surprised that when I turned it off and on in the middle of watching Jessica Jones (for the sole purpose of timing how long it took to turn on) that it was right where I was when I turned it off. I assumed I'd have to go back into the app.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

qirex posted:

CEC is incredibly annoying until the moment it actually works [many people never experience this] and after that everything is magical.

mine will (most of the time anyway) turn my TV on, but will not switch inputs :woop:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

Stop letting five year olds have control of the remote, and stop being friends with assholes who would buy poo poo on there without consulting you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Or you could set up a 4 digit pin code for your appletv and set your restrictions to Restrict purchases.

General->Settings->Restrictions
-Turn On
-Create 4 digit pin, and reconfirm pin.
-Select Restrict for iTunes Store.

No need to continually enter your iTunes password AND you're protected from butt purchasing the Gilt app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh hey, the idea I had is already there!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I like my nVidia Shield much more than my friends ATVs. It has pretty much the same poo poo besides the ESPN app, from what I can tell.

The big upside of the Shield is 4k support and since it's android you can do whatever. For example I have Kodi installed to stream from my NAS, which is much better than PLEX imo. Kodi also has AirPlay which was the killer Apple feature on ATV for me.

Also I can run every emulator you can think of which plays all the ROMs from my NAS as well. I can also stream Steam poo poo.

I love the thing.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like Amazon is coming, which might be the last thing keeping me from dumping the Fire TV:

https://twitter.com/danimal/status/670404993506127872

Thank god! I'd forgotten Fire TV has banner ads and that really really irritated me for some reason and the only reason I own one is for Prime Video.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

I like my nVidia Shield much more than my friends ATVs. It has pretty much the same poo poo besides the ESPN app, from what I can tell.

The big upside of the Shield is 4k support and since it's android you can do whatever. For example I have Kodi installed to stream from my NAS, which is much better than PLEX imo. Kodi also has AirPlay which was the killer Apple feature on ATV for me.

Also I can run every emulator you can think of which plays all the ROMs from my NAS as well. I can also stream Steam poo poo.

I love the thing.

Cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I got some.. sand.. or something stuck under the "clicker" on my siri remote and it wouldn't push down until I took some compressed air and blew it clean. I can't really fault Apple for this one but I feel like I'm genuinely having "a bad time" with this Siri remote. I can see what they were going for but I honestly think I might try going back to my ATV3 remote if it's not a complete pain to sync.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

I might try going back to my ATV3 remote if it's not a complete pain to sync.

When my Siri remote wasn't working I just pointed my ATV3 one at it and it worked immediately.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm debating taking my ATV4 back. Ideally for a replacement but maybe just for good. I love the ducking thing but it buffers and locks up like a bitch and my ATV3 never did. I did a factory restore to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Feenix posted:

I'm debating taking my ATV4 back. Ideally for a replacement but maybe just for good. I love the ducking thing but it buffers and locks up like a bitch and my ATV3 never did. I did a factory restore to no avail.

It really shouldn't do that, so at least try a replacement to check if the ATV4 just doesn't like your internet or something. Mine has been in use for at least 7-8 hours a day since launch and it has never crashed, buffered abnormally, froze, anything like that.