Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasingFungus posted:

an important thing to remember about the 'Tea Party is tearing the GOP apart' narrative is that we got the exact same message four years ago, when, hey, an overwhelming majority of the party was united against romney. Surely the establishment was doomed! Except that it turned out GOP voters didn't actually dislike romney, they just weren't that excited by him. When it came time to vote, they rallied solidly behind their candidate, just as usual.

The difference this cycle is that:

1. The Establishment doesn't have anyone as a viable contender (lol JEB!), or anyone that would be on the ticket at all. Trump doesn't need to pander to Hispanics, so why would he take Rubio as VP?

2. There's a very real chance that should Trump lose, he will start his own separate campaign and siphon votes off (Which only furthers woes since the Democratic candidate likely doesn't even need that to win)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/daniecal/status/670815698491346944

DarkSkintDostoyevsky
‏@daniecal
"A gentle loner who occasionally unleashed violent acts on women and neighbors he knew"??? But...

Alon Altman ‏@epsalon 10h10 hours ago
@daniecal @justkelly_ok Our society normalized violence towards women so much that you can be violent toward women and still be a gentleman.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Commitment to free and fair elections
2. Commitment to freedom of the press

Are you familiar with NATO?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

PleasingFungus posted:

an important thing to remember about the 'Tea Party is tearing the GOP apart' narrative is that we got the exact same message four years ago, when, hey, an overwhelming majority of the party was united against romney. Surely the establishment was doomed! Except that it turned out GOP voters didn't actually dislike romney, they just weren't that excited by him. When it came time to vote, they rallied solidly behind their candidate, just as usual.his behalf

Romney got spanked pretty good, though, and extreme polemics played into that absolutely.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Iowa Snow King posted:

Are you familiar with NATO?

You forgot to quote the rest of that statement, particularly, the "gently caress Russia" portion.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

How can you say your understanding of Clapper's intent is more informed than a New York Times' columnists'?

Further, it sounds like you do not think that there was anything factually incorrect in that bit of reading, only that the tone ain't what you wish it was.

Because that NYTimes oped piece was written by a loving Republican dickhead shill that worked in the administrations of Reagan and both Bushes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

My Imaginary GF posted:

You forgot to quote the rest of that statement, particularly, the "gently caress Russia" portion.

It doesn't matter what else you said if the rest of it is blatantly untrue.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nerve posted:

why does anyone give a gently caress what a 13 year old thinks?

Tokenism is a huge part of modern Conservative political culture. See: Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, Condi Rice, etc etc.

EDIT: please stop responding to MIGF. Thanks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It doesn't matter what else you said if the rest of it is blatantly untrue.

It's fairly true within the member nations.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

... your understanding of Clapper's intent is more informed than a New York Times' columnists'

I'm glad you agree, MIGF, that Clapper's words were presented to show the opposite meaning from what full context provided.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Jeremiah 1:5. They use that one too.
Exodus 21 is the "do a thing? That's a paddlin" verse. It enumerates a ton of punishments for poo poo.

Exodus 21:23 is like
Slap a pregnant woman during a brawl and she gives premature birth? Pay, like, a fine or something.
Hit a woman while pregnant and she loses the child? Oh you done gonna die boy.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 29, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

computer parts posted:

The difference this cycle is that:

1. The Establishment doesn't have anyone as a viable contender (lol JEB!), or anyone that would be on the ticket at all. Trump doesn't need to pander to Hispanics, so why would he take Rubio as VP?

2. There's a very real chance that should Trump lose, he will start his own separate campaign and siphon votes off (Which only furthers woes since the Democratic candidate likely doesn't even need that to win)

Do you think Rubio is an unviable candidate?

Agreed that Trump-as-Perot is entirely possible.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Defenestration posted:

DarkSkintDostoyevsky
‏@daniecal
"A gentle loner who occasionally unleashed violent acts on women and neighbors he knew"??? But...

@daniecal @justkelly_ok Our society normalized violence towards women so much that you can be violent toward women and still be a gentleman.

well maybe the times doesn't want to take too political of a stand on his violence against women. I mean, maybe they deserved it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

1. Commitment to free and fair elections
2. Commitment to freedom of the press
3. gently caress Russia, but not too much

The order of these may change at times, depending upon the administration. Clearly, Obama's administration is a break from tradition.

For whomever's keeping track these days, please add "The history of NATO, and indeed the entire 20th century" to the long and ever growing list of things MIGF doesn't know poo poo about.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I reckon the entirety of NATO boils down to

1. gently caress Russia more than
2. gently caress America
3. Can we at least argue you're near the North Atlantic

Three is expendable.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Teddybear posted:

2. gently caress America

Three is expendable.

To quote Baron Ismay's (1st Secretary General of NATO), its purpose was to keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

To quote Baron Ismay's (1st Secretary General of NATO), its purpose was to keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.

The best way to keep Germans down is to commit to freedom of the press and free & fair elections.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In a world of real concerns and interested individuals, MIGF is a crying child that no one should give more than a passing concern too

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Boon posted:

In a world of real concerns and interested individuals, MIGF is a crying child that no one should give more than a passing concern too

And only slightly taller than one, too!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Exodus 21 is the "do a thing? That's a paddlin" verse. It enumerates a ton of punishments for poo poo.

Exodus 21:23 is like
Slap a pregnant woman during a brawl and she gives premature birth? Pay, like, a fine or something.
Hit a woman while pregnant and she loses the child? Oh you done gonna die boy.

Other way around. Exodus 21:23 says that if you hit a pregnant woman and she miscarries but she's okay otherwise, you owe a fine, and worse is only if she's hurt. This was the verse Evangelicals used to cite abortion as not a sin before they got in bed with Catholics on it and had to "reevaluate" the Bible to back it up.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

Every now and then he does something cute deserving of a dawwwwwwwww.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PleasingFungus posted:

Do you think Rubio is an unviable candidate?

Agreed that Trump-as-Perot is entirely possible.

If the GOP primaries weren't so bat-poo poo insane, forcing candidates to take positions that are so toxic to the general he'd be a viable candidate.

Also, Trump does a lot to make Rubio unviable by simply existing as he keeps pulling the primaries right and siphoning people away from everyone else. If Trump wasn't in the running, Rubio's biggest threat would have likely been Cruz (as everyone else is the Token of the Month, laughable, or Jeb!).

And at this point I'm honestly finding Trump-as-Perot not just possible but to be more and more probable Especially with someone posting a few days ago that he's actually hiring people to campaign on the ground. I have my doubts on weather or not the GOP establishment can swallow their bile and accept Trump as the candidate, and they certainly can't control him. If Trump doesn't find some way to self destruct, which is unlikely since things that would destroy other candidates careers only make him stronger, the GOP will likely shove him aside for Rubio. The only thing that will destroy Trump's campaign, at least publicly, is people getting bored of him. Which is unlikely as Trump's basically a billionaire version of a carnival barker, the man knows how to generate noise and interest and drama.

Of course take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a political junkie and it seems we live in interesting times where each election gets more and more insane than the last.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Other way around. Exodus 21:23 says that if you hit a pregnant woman and she miscarries but she's okay otherwise, you owe a fine, and worse is only if she's hurt. This was the verse Evangelicals used to cite abortion as not a sin before they got in bed with Catholics on it and had to "reevaluate" the Bible to back it up.

I happened to look that up recently, and it seems to be a matter of translation. Some versions of the bible phrase it as "gives birth prematurely", others meanwhile translate it as miscarriage in the sense that the child is lost. The former version seems more common in the newer translations/versions of the bible, so that might well be a quite deliberate difference. I don't know any hebrew or greek, so I dunno which might be the more appropriate translation.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The first GOP candidate to refer to the PP shooting as domestic terrorism is... Mike Huckabee?!?!?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The first GOP candidate to refer to the PP shooting as domestic terrorism is... Mike Huckabee?!?!?

I'm pretty certain other candidates have called abortion "domestic terrorism" before, Al.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Defenestration posted:

DarkSkintDostoyevsky
‏@daniecal

The uproar over this is pretty loving absurd.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Tokenism is a huge part of modern Conservative political culture. See: Ben Carson, Herman Cain, Sarah Palin, Michelle Malkin, Condi Rice, etc etc.

EDIT: please stop responding to MIGF. Thanks.
Carson, Cain, Palin, sure. Rice is actually qualified if misguided. Malkin is a terrible, terrible person, but is good at articulating her awful opinions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Every now and then he does something cute deserving of a dawwwwwwwww.

No he really doesn't.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Considering how much Jesus hated money, couldn't a fine be viewed as a good thing as it is separating yourself with a corrupting influence?

I mean really the Bible sounds pro-abortion imho

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Teddybear posted:

2. gently caress America

Three is expendable.

3 should be more "is any of your territory in Europe or North America". Only reason the North Atlantic part remains in the name is historical reasons.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

3 should be more "is any of your territory in Europe or North America". Only reason the North Atlantic part remains in the name is historical reasons.

Italy, of course, being a founding member who is not a North Atlantic country. Greece and Turkey being admitted shortly thereafter, before either Germany, Spain, or the rest.

But please, continue

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Welllll

Essentially "This is terrorism because it makes us look bad"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Perestroika posted:

I happened to look that up recently, and it seems to be a matter of translation. Some versions of the bible phrase it as "gives birth prematurely", others meanwhile translate it as miscarriage in the sense that the child is lost. The former version seems more common in the newer translations/versions of the bible, so that might well be a quite deliberate difference. I don't know any hebrew or greek, so I dunno which might be the more appropriate translation.

The proper translation is miscarry, the "gives birth prematurely" was either a nicety added because miscarry is such a dirty word or it's a straight up political decision that cropped up after birth control came into existence.

A quick bible lesson by someone who studied it for 4 years (mostly a total waste):

- The idea of a "literal" bible being the inspired perfect Word of God is really bizarre and has only cropped up in the last couple hundred years. Most likely the source of this was when slavery really started picking up. Until that point, biblical scholars who studied the bible for context would have been vehemently against slavery because it pretty much violated what they had agreed was the core message of the bible, i.e. "love thy God and love thy neighbour - everything else rests on this." Combine that with the later apostles writing about how we must test every tenet of our faith in the light of loving our neighbours and you end up with actually a pretty progressive interpretation of the bible.

- Back to the slavers of the 17th/18th century. The overarching idea up to this point was what I wrote about above, that the bible is a very complicated book full of nuance and open to interpretation best left to theologians who had new ideas about the bible and what it means constantly. Knowing that, slavery seemed like a pretty bad idea. So they pulled a "Steve Martin at the Carnival in The Jerk" and isolated the few quotes in the bible from the Law that talked about how to treat your slaves, saying that means the bible supports slavery.

- Of course, the prevailing theory about the bible was that "some books are the law, some books are poetry, some books are stories all reaching the same desired idea". No one would honestly advocate following the laws in Exo/Lev/Deut/Num to the letter except for Orthodox Jews. It was well-understood in the old days that the book of Job had not literally happened and was basically a Jewish parable about how the prosperity gospel makes no sense, the book of Jonah likewise except Jonah is supposed to be a funny story (those old Israelites had a reallllly dry sense of humour). The idea of the bible being literally written by God would have been met with derision (though they did believe the Holy Spirit guided the original bible compilers so that only God's selected books made it in)

- So all of this leads to the modern version of Christianity, heavily neutered from its history, where biblical debates devolve into "yeah but Matthew 24:6! So? Job 14:19!" Every verse in the bible is given ridiculous importance and is read through whatever conceptions the person who wants to read it reads it as. I like to call this "apothecary Christianity" because when you go to a druggist in the states, next to the prescription counter there are all these books that say things like "Hmm, your son's gay? Well remind him that Ecclesiastes 3:12-22. Dying of Cancer? Well don't forget Zechariah 10:1." The book of Jeremiah is obviously a story meant to show that God has a plan for us and uses flowery hebrew hyperbole ("I knew you even in your mother's womb" is probably trimmed down from an earlier version of the text that went through a series of "I knew you when you were a teenager, I knew you when you were a boy, I knew you when you were a toddler, hell I even knew you when you were in the womb!") and the idea that that single verse was included as a polemic against abortion would have been met by the old biblical scholars with looks of "Get the gently caress out of here."

Anyway, so that's a quick primer - modern Christianity is a bastardised religion of Christianity and very few Americans to this day actually study the bible, but rather get told by right wing radio to believe something and then get told by "Christian" radio which verses back that up. The problem is, those Christian left-wingers who study the bible the old way are also pretty smart and figure out pretty soon that you don't need the bible at all to be progressive / humans are hard-wired to be altruistic, helpful people without a book of morals / and a lot of stuff in the bible is goofy, so they just become atheists and it's pretty hard to convert right wing Christians from their idolatry when you're coming at it from the point of God plain old not existing.

Go Now in Peace.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welllll

Nothing about toning down the rhetoric or how the next one can be prevented. Just "ugh stop making me look bad."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welllll

Yes, it's definitely domestic terrorism against women seeking services, but you know who the real victims are? Those of us advocating against those services.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

Yes, it's definitely domestic terrorism against women seeking services, but you know who the real victims are?

The unborn babies whose lives were directly threatened by this mentally disturbed individual's actions?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The American Prospect has a long-form piece on the death of anti-trust laws.

The Washington Post slams Hillary's "no new taxes for the 97%" pledge

Trump: "I see a lot of dislike of Planned Parenthood"

Look! A distraction (from Planned Parenthood)!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fbi-john-ritzheimer-ny-muslims

quote:

Police were put on alert after Ritzheimer posted a threatening video online on Nov. 18 warning he was headed east to "see those assholes who called me a f------ terrorist," according to the Daily News.

The newspaper reported that Ritzheimer was referring to the organization Muslims of America, which called Ritzheimer an "American Taliban" in a recent issue of its newspaper, The Islamic Post.

“F--k you Muslims. We're gonna stop at virtually every mosque along the way, flip them off and tell them to get f-----," Ritzheimer said in the video, according to the Daily News. The video, which has since been taken down, also reportedly included Ritzheimer showing off a handgun.

The Muslims of America are located in the village of Hancock, New York, which is nicknamed "Islamberg." An ex-congressional candidate in Tennessee, Robert Doggart, was charged earlier this year with plotting to enlist militia members to burn down buildings in the Muslim hamlet.

An FBI spokesperson told the Daily News that the agency notified authorities of Ritzheimer's video because it "could have been perceived as threatening against the Muslim community in Hancock, N.Y."

Driving to New York for the expresse purpose of terrorizing muslims = "activist"
Shooting Planned Parenthood because no more baby parts = "gentle loner"

I'm so depressed I don't even know what to say anymore

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/fbi-john-ritzheimer-ny-muslims

Driving to New York for the expresse purpose of terrorizing muslims = "activist"
Shooting Planned Parenthood because no more baby parts = "gentle loner"

I'm so depressed I don't even know what to say anymore

If they aren't threatening white men, they aren't terrorists.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

My Imaginary GF posted:

The unborn babies whose lives were directly threatened by this mentally disturbed individual's actions?

...you do realize that Planned Parenthood does a lot more than abortions, right? They do check-ups, pap smears, prescribe birth control pills, etc. I go there a few times a year for basic care but I've never had an abortion. There's a possibility that out of all the patients there, NONE of them were there to get an abortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Welllll

As I said elsewhere, he's not referring to the shooting as the tragedy/terrorism taking place at the PP facility, he's referring to the abortion service PP provides. Hence him saying tragedy and not shooting, while focusing on the act as something that should be called terrorism, especially by the pro-life movement.

I mean, you can hope I'm wrong but with Huckabee being the shameless rear end in a top hat he is I'm pretty sure I'm reading his carefully crafted message properly.

• Locked thread