Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Kinetic probably, PHR use lots of railguns in DzC, but they do have some notably powerful lasers. Maybe the lighter gun batteries are rails and the larger ball turrets lasers?

The human factions are mostly using kinetic weapons while the aliens use more exotic energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
We know the UCM weapons are kinetic, aside from their burnthrough lasers (and the point-defence turrets). The PHR do use lasers on some of their mechs, so it could go either way.

I would imagine kinetic though, just because that seems to be the style Hawk are aiming for with their human factions. We know their bow guns are definitely lasers.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I want to get in on this Kickstarter, but I'm balking at dropping $200+ USD for this thing.

Is it worth it to go for the exclusive Battlecruisers and battleships? Mainly I'm looking at the UCM and the PHR. Are they going to release non-exclusive variants of these models? Should I just go 1 starter set + some add ons, or should I just stop worrying and go whole hog on this?

e: What I mean is, should I go full Captain, or should I just go LT?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The exclusive battleship is a display model and isn't actually game-sized. There will be non-exclusive variants of the BCs.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

wdarkk posted:

The exclusive battleship is a display model and isn't actually game-sized. There will be non-exclusive variants of the BCs.

So the battleship is just a nonfunctional display piece basically? Okay, that will save me some money. What about the Captain level battlecruiser? Will there be a non-exclusive variant of that as well?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

So the battleship is just a nonfunctional display piece basically? Okay, that will save me some money. What about the Captain level battlecruiser? Will there be a non-exclusive variant of that as well?

I believe so.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I'm not sure if I've ever been so excited for a kickstarter, and I've barely played DZC at all. Speaking of, what are some good buys after the starter set for PHR? I assume at some point I want to dip into some command units/cards, but what else?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

YF19pilot posted:

I want to get in on this Kickstarter, but I'm balking at dropping $200+ USD for this thing.

Is it worth it to go for the exclusive Battlecruisers and battleships? Mainly I'm looking at the UCM and the PHR. Are they going to release non-exclusive variants of these models? Should I just go 1 starter set + some add ons, or should I just stop worrying and go whole hog on this?

e: What I mean is, should I go full Captain, or should I just go LT?

The battlecruisers are like Dropzones famous commanders. They will have special rules for scenarios and be used as tournament legal proxies for standard battlecruisers which will be released later.

The main thing about the pledge levels marked as 'high level backer' is that you get more freebies. At the moment that means one frigate sprue (which makes 4 ships) per race on top of the free cruiser sprue per race you get at the standard level. There will also be a KS exclusive civilian ship (very close to unlocking) and play mat for high level.

The 2-up scale battleship is indeed a display piece. It is cool, but not a game piece. Unless you have a scenario in mind involving dropfleet's answer to the super star destroyer.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

dropfleet's answer to the super star destroyer.

The UCMNS gently caress Your poo poo, Hideous Space Jellyfish.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
UCMF Metric Conversion. It was accidentally built twice as big. including all interior equipment. people are standing on comically large chairs mashing oversized buttons on consoles they can barely reach across :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I have now backed my first Kickstarter. Getting the two player starter set and at least one exclusive battlecruiser. Would like to get captain level, but I can't drop that kind of cash right now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Picked up my two-player starter set of DZC today for the price of two MtG cards that I didn't use anymore.

It's a pretty hefty package. Looking forward to assembling it and trying to get my friends to play.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Four days left for Dropfleet and £70K to raise to hit that 500k stretch goal. I think it is doable with the final surge, but might be tight...

I'm trying to figure out what if any add ons I should be thinking about to go with my commodore pledge...

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ugleb posted:

Four days left for Dropfleet and £70K to raise to hit that 500k stretch goal. I think it is doable with the final surge, but might be tight...

I'm trying to figure out what if any add ons I should be thinking about to go with my commodore pledge...

I'm getting space stations and a map pack with mine. Haven't decided for sure about anything else.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah I'm thinking a map pack. Launch assets or the sector resin marker things maybe...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm in for £150 and it looks like I'm going to have to drop it due to a client dragging out paying me for another month. Just as all the unlocks I really wanted are done as well. I'm so eternally bummed. :argh: :(

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I'm confused; are there now two KS exclusive UCM battlecruisers? The UCM Atlantis and Avalon are listed as separate entities, but the text of the Commodore level implies/outright states that there's only one UCM battlecruiser.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Joe_Richter posted:

I'm confused; are there now two KS exclusive UCM battlecruisers? The UCM Atlantis and Avalon are listed as separate entities, but the text of the Commodore level implies/outright states that there's only one UCM battlecruiser.

Yes, there are now two UCM kickstarter BCs.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

People thought it was unfair that there was no UCM BC available to non-high rank backers, so now there is 5.

Which is actually kind of annoying at the commodore level as you have to take the atlantis as one of your four.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was pretty skeptical a couple of weeks ago, but I think this thing is going to hit 500k before the end. The last few days have been pretty consistently over or around £10,000. I did a Commodore pledge as soon as that became an option and I know I have some add-ons to get before I'm done. I plan on using my pledge to get a starter fleet for each of the 4 factions since I'll have all the free frigates and cruisers along with the battlecruisers. I think that'll be more than enough to start off with and I have no idea if I'll ever need more frigates beyond the 12 I'd have for each fleet. I think I'll pass on extra starters even if I know I'll need the cruisers to expand the UCM and PHR sides of things.

As of right now, I definitely plan on adding the space station pack, one or two launch asset packs, the resin deluxe clusters, and the acrylic tokens. I'll also be getting the Avalon for completeness since I'm locked into the Atlantis already. I might also be dumb enough to get the 2-up Beijing. I am not going to bother with any maps because they're paper and I know they'll be folded for shipping instead of rolled so they'll probably be garbage. The neat radar one is a freebie so I'll wait and see how that turns out. I can always get some maps later if I want to. In summary,
:shepspends:

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Ugleb posted:

People thought it was unfair that there was no UCM BC available to non-high rank backers, so now there is 5.

Which is actually kind of annoying at the commodore level as you have to take the atlantis as one of your four.

Yup, as I suspected. I'll probably just add £14 onto my commodore to get the other UCM BC as well then. Gotta catch 'em all after all.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, how do you rename an army in FFoR?

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.

wdarkk posted:

Ugh, how do you rename an army in FFoR?

Right click on the name you want to change, it should give you the option to change it.

Also, the PHR ship designs are a bit of a hit or miss with me. Some of them have silly over bites while others make it look sleek and awesome. A couple remind me of the sunfish.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wind Tempest posted:

Also, the PHR ship designs are a bit of a hit or miss with me. Some of them have silly over bites while others make it look sleek and awesome. A couple remind me of the sunfish.

The Pandora frigate is giving me the Eschers, I can't tell what angle the ship is at.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The PHR heavy cruiser jaws are really off-putting. If I get any, I plan to mount the jaw weapons laterally on the lower hull and ditch the gargoyle look.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Loxbourne posted:

The PHR heavy cruiser jaws are really off-putting. If I get any, I plan to mount the jaw weapons laterally on the lower hull and ditch the gargoyle look.

They'd be cooler if they were modeled in such a way that it looked like the top and bottom halves could slide together and cover all the weapons. Like normally the ships are sleek and pretty but when they prep for combat they slide apart and say :getin:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Look what they slipped into the last update! A PHR Frigate!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pash posted:

Look what they slipped into the last update! A PHR Frigate!

But which way is it pointing? Towards the viewer? Away from the viewer? Up or down? I can't find a reference point

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
If you look at the engine section I think we're looking at it slightly from above and slightly from the front. The light cruiser was way worse for me, I actually couldn't stand looking at that one for long.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, I just watched the video about Shaltari ships and :stare:
Their cruisers have a standard signature of 3" compared to the UCM's and Scourge's cruisers at 6". They also have a save of 5+ which is kind of light. However, they have a special order to raise shields that they can use in addition to whatever else they're doing. This raises their signature to 16", but gives them a save of 4+ that can even be used against critical hits. Those typically bypass armor entirely. One of the ships shown off was this thing:

Those aren't burn-through lasers, they're some sort of crazy super ion cannon. A standard hit will bypass armor entirely and inflict two damage. If the ship forgoes raising its shields, each shot deals three damage. This thing is capable of nine possible damage in a single round and cruisers hover around that total. The only real downside is that it has to fire in its narrow front arc. Maneuvering and all that will be pretty crucial. It should also be noted that ships can only fire one weapon under standard orders and have to use Weapons Free to use all of their shots.

Oh, and the resin clusters are unlocked so go throw more money at Hawk, I guess.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It was also mentioned that raising a Shaltari ship's shields also shuts down all point defences. There were comments in the video that the UCM could fire all their close-action weapons and the Shaltari could do nothing about it - that suggests they'll be very vulnerable to bomber/torpedo strikes when their shields are up, too.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Have we any idea how the fleets will play so far? Considering that they all look great to me, thereby excluding the problem of picking one fleet on visual style, how they handle on the board will make the difference to me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I really liked how Shaltari came across in those videos. Very powerful abilities with significant trade offs. That ability to alpha strike a cruiser comes at the price of a narrow fire arc when you can't turn and it leaves you vulnerable to counter attack while lit up like a Christmas tree. Get that move wrong at your peril.

The void gates sound interesting too, it will be really important to keep that mothership alive. Wonder how viable it will be to field two?

Sounds like we get a PHR video tomorrow too, which is nice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Impaler posted:

Have we any idea how the fleets will play so far? Considering that they all look great to me, thereby excluding the problem of picking one fleet on visual style, how they handle on the board will make the difference to me.
We don't know too much at the moment, but the basics seem to be as follows:
UCM - Tough, a lot of turrets, they've talked about support ships adding to another's point defense or scan range
Scourge - Fast, a lot of close-ranged weapons, more fragile ships, their burn-through lasers are slightly weaker, but get two shots, who knows what else
PHR - Tough, stealthy(?), focused on broadside weapons with a range of options, torpedoes(?)
Shaltari - Stealthy, very powerful weapons, fragile ships, but they have shields as an option

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That one ship that has 3 guns that automatically cause 2 critical hits and if you don't activate shields, they cause 3 :fap:

EDIT: Yesss the Obsidian

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Kickstarter just hit 3,000 backers. Still need about 13,000 GBP to crack the 500,000 mark. Please do, I want the frigate bonanza! (that's a freebie for everyone, right?)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
As a UCM player I think it's gonna feel great to corner shaltari so they're screwed no matter whether they choose shields or point defense :v:

Phaelog
Jun 27, 2009
To add to the "how do they play" information Hawk Dave mentioned in the First Wave podcast that is linked in the Kickstarter (~T 1:12:00) that Scourge frigates can fly in the atmospheric layer. Sounds like they can operate like sharks and they "swim" up to bite at other ships or munch strike carriers/void gates. He heavily stressed that this is a rule that needs more playtesting.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

From Hawk comments made, PHR will use fewer frigates and more heavier hulls, Scourge maybe the other way around. No hard details on how that all works yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It is starting to seem as if Scourge cruisers will be fast, fragile, and carry a small number of powerful multi-hit weapons. They'll lose in a one-on-one but their frigates will be on hand to make sure they never get into a one-on-one.

Looks like that UCM triple-turret frigate's main job will be clearing out the other faction frigates! There's a Shaltari frigate with upward-pointing guns too, so it'll be interesting to see if they can also pull the firing-upwards trick.