Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Can you no longer join the community goal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Grondoth posted:

Can you no longer join the community goal?

It's been over for a day and a half now, give or take. CGs last until the end of the 7 day duration or until the goal is met, whichever comes first. Inara.cz tends to be fairly up-to-date on the state of any currently-running goals.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Shine posted:

What's a fun Python loadout for RES stomping? Somebody in IRC mentioned that there's a popular loadout anchored by a perma-firing beam, but I forget the rest of the details. I tossed this together but haven't bought it yet.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/27A6A5A4A7A6A5C15151527270404000l4f5o5o5j5jf4f32t6b.Iw1-gDJZA===.IwBj4yrZiA==

Use the burst lasers to tear down shields quickly and then open up with the multicannons. The SCBs are used in pairs with the dedicated SCB button (presume this will have to change with the rebalancing in 1.5). The fuel tanks can be swapped for cargo or hull reinforcements as desired. You can also downgrade the bulkheads to save a bunch of cash if needed.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Are those mining missions generally worth doing when you are starting out? It rewarded some stupid large number of credits (compared to most other missions I have access to, 119k credits) but it was incredibly vague (get me this mineral, you have 19 hours) and if my time in EVE was any indication, space mining is a very boring thing to do.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jaffyjaffy posted:

Are those mining missions generally worth doing when you are starting out? It rewarded some stupid large number of credits (compared to most other missions I have access to, 119k credits) but it was incredibly vague (get me this mineral, you have 19 hours) and if my time in EVE was any indication, space mining is a very boring thing to do.

Mining requires a delicate dance of internal equipment slots and items that take up the same cargo space as the minerals you're mining. If you can't get into a Cobra or better, I would say "don't even bother looking at them".

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thanks for the Python builds!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Mining requires a delicate dance of internal equipment slots and items that take up the same cargo space as the minerals you're mining. If you can't get into a Cobra or better, I would say "don't even bother looking at them".

And even with the Cobra, I suggest forgoing shields so you can hold another dozen or so tons, so you gotta be comfortable flying around asteroids and docks without crashing into anything, and be ready to run like hell if a pirate catches you.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I played Frontier a lot during my Amiga days and now got this during the steam sale. Looks and plays great, I see they picked up a lot of stuff from I-War 2 this time. Got some questions:
- are there wormholes in E:D? I think they were actually a bug in Frontier but they were useful for longer journeys.
- did the devs say anything about adding planets with atmospheres?
- are there photo ops in E:D?
- is there any way to negotiate mission prices?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Terminally Bored posted:

I played Frontier a lot during my Amiga days and now got this during the steam sale. Looks and plays great, I see they picked up a lot of stuff from I-War 2 this time. Got some questions:
- are there wormholes in E:D? I think they were actually a bug in Frontier but they were useful for longer journeys.
- did the devs say anything about adding planets with atmospheres?
- are there photo ops in E:D?
- is there any way to negotiate mission prices?

Not as far as we know
They're coming but not for at least a year
Yup, uh, assuming you mean "cool poo poo to take screenshots of" and aren't talking about those sweet recon missions where you had to fly over a military base and take photos of it
Nope

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks. Just wanted to add that the sound design in this game is awesome. Love the music playing inside the spaceports.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks. Just wanted to add that the sound design in this game is awesome. Love the music playing inside the spaceports.
Sound design is really one of the most polished elements in the game. I recommend occasionally turning off music to just listen to your ship's sounds, esecially when you buy a new one since each ship is different also in that regard (like the Orca boost :allears: ).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Yup, uh, assuming you mean "cool poo poo to take screenshots of" and aren't talking about those sweet recon missions where you had to fly over a military base and take photos of it

I did mean that. Bummer.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I did mean that. Bummer.
With Horizons and the initial implementation of planetary flight/combat/landing chances are that reconnaissance missions will be implemented in this game as well.
Of course we are still waiting on passenger missions, so that may take a while. :v:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
:frogsiren: NEW PLAYERS WHO WANT TO HAVE LODSA EMONE :frogsiren:

If you get enough money to get into this Cobra(you can downgrade the Fuel Scoop to a B or C if you are low on cash) and go to a System called "Robigo" you can find special long distance bonus paying Haul missions, which will give you literally millions of credits to haul two tons of biowaste, and even more millions to sneak in illegal and immoral "goods" on the low. You can get a few of them at Trade Rank Penniless(which is the default new CMDR rank you start with) but you will get more even better paying ones the higher that rank goes.

You can stack these.

This is currently the most broken "working as intended" way to make cash and raise your Trade rank. It also gives you a good boost to your Federation Ranking. I once made 50million in one hour of the "smuggle struggle" with dat ASP

If you get Interdicted on the way, just submit, hit the boost button a lot, target the next system in your jump route, wait out the minimal FSD cooldown, and :frogout:

There are a few good effortposts around this very thread explaining the how and why in more detail, they are worth a look if you want more information.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Is there any CG active for explorers or any place where it's more convenient to sell my data? Perhaps something like the old Harry's Monkey Hangout?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

froody guy posted:

Is there any CG active for explorers or any place where it's more convenient to sell my data? Perhaps something like the old Harry's Monkey Hangout?

Check out the PGS thread for goon space details.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Why would old Harry's Monkey Hangout be convenient? It's not like we're there anymore.

And the last CG for explorers was months ago. I feel neglected by Frontier myself by now. :(

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So I just started playing after owning the game forever. Super fun so far. Apparently I have a free eagle sitting here? Should I dump my sidewinder and grab it? So far it seems the bounty missions pay the most, usually like 20k plus whatever bounties. Might make it easier?

and my next step, should be a hauler and do some trading to make some coin?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

queeb posted:

So I just started playing after owning the game forever. Super fun so far. Apparently I have a free eagle sitting here? Should I dump my sidewinder and grab it? So far it seems the bounty missions pay the most, usually like 20k plus whatever bounties. Might make it easier?

and my next step, should be a hauler and do some trading to make some coin?

Eagle is a better combat ship than the Sidewinder, yup.

Your next step depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in trading, then sure, grab a Hauler; trading special rare goods is a common early step. If you want a manner combat ship, then save up for a Viper.

If you want a boost, then hop into IRC (see the PGS thread) and wing up with a goon or two for team bounty hunting. A buddy in a bigger ship can help you pop targets that are worth tens of thousands or more apiece and make you decently space rich in no time.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I just started playing this a few days ago, got myself into a Cobra Mark III and am currently mining because I love tedium and not having fun. I'm thinking of striking out for the Great Beyond and doing some exploring, too.

I've been doing solo play this whole time. I'm a little bit worried about jumping into online play and immediately getting blasted by PVPers out for my Sweet Haul of lovely minerals - should I wait until I get a stronger ship before playing online, or just go for it and hope I don't get brutally murdered?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Groggy nard posted:

Note that if you're going to be doing the Robigo Rumba, you need to do it now. Once 1.5 hits, it'll bring a significant overhaul nerf :ssh: to smuggling and long-distance hauling missions with it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Eh, I would call the smuggling changes in 1.5 a nerf-buff. It's going to be more difficult with a hard failure state requiring a bit of skill to avoid but pay better.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So... powerplay seems interesting to watch and pay attention to, with all the different bonuses and negatives that each power brings to the planets in their influence and control and what it means to fly around in space because of it. But I got tired of just watching and pledged to Asling Duval to get into the mix of things and ban slaves, and the actual act of helping seems kinda really boring. I just run media materials back and forth. Is this what powerplay is? Is that why everyone hates it?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

[quote="Grondoth" post=""453272058"]I just run media materials back and forth. Is this what powerplay is? Is that why everyone hates it?
[/quote]

Yes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Grondoth posted:

So... powerplay seems interesting to watch and pay attention to, with all the different bonuses and negatives that each power brings to the planets in their influence and control and what it means to fly around in space because of it. But I got tired of just watching and pledged to Asling Duval to get into the mix of things and ban slaves, and the actual act of helping seems kinda really boring. I just run media materials back and forth. Is this what powerplay is? Is that why everyone hates it?

The "things you need to do" vary per person, but:

1. Powerplay in general is an unintuitive pain in the rear end. The original idea was to allow for every faction to have a democratic interface to decide on how the faction expands over time, but in reality it's just proof that those systems should never be in an MMO because you end up with 10% grognards who scream at you for clicking the wrong button and 90% people who only joined the faction for green shields and pressing buttons at random. This also leads in to

2. Most of the rewards are just plain poo poo.

3. Rank in powerplay deprecates over time, which means you have to basically re-grind everything weekly in order to stay at a given payout level.

4. Being committed to a power means you'll be interdicted on a semi-regular basis by assholes from the other powers, even inside your own part of the bubble.

5. Being committed to a power also means you're automatically hostile and fair game to the 90% of populated space that you're not pledged to, and defending yourself means the local cops will come down on you.

So basically, read up on it if you really want the immersion/rp aspect, maybe if you're really gung ho about green shields or bonus bounty turn-ins, but other than that, you're better off not touching it with a 10 foot pole.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

So I've been doing some mining lately in a Cobra, and I also love flying my Eagle and Viper for blowing up bounty stuff. What's the next step up for combat ships? I've saved up 6m hard credits so far but I'm sure I'll need a lot more.

if you've got the empire rank, look into a courier. It does similar damage to the vulture, but can't sustain the damage quite as long. It has similarly gigantic gently caress-off shields and maneuvers like a dream, and it's considerably faster than the vulture as well. An A-fit will run you a little north of 6 million as well

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Here is how to do a better video showcasing a skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0P4cpqSB8

-----------------------------

It seems a lot of players jumped on the 15$ price. Here is a report from Eravate.

Some nice Artwork from here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3ulgr9/some_junk_i_did_for_my_graphics_project_3508x4961/

It seems like the Fuel Rats are getting a skin of their own.

Chemical hazards.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bushiz posted:

if you've got the empire rank, look into a courier. It does similar damage to the vulture, but can't sustain the damage quite as long. It has similarly gigantic gently caress-off shields and maneuvers like a dream, and it's considerably faster than the vulture as well. An A-fit will run you a little north of 6 million as well

The Courier won't be able to tackle big ships like the Vulture can since it's limited to medium mounts, but other than that it's basically a supercharged Eagle with ludicrous shields and a gorgeous cockpit. If you fly a Courier without the Top Gun soundtrack on loop in the background, you're doing it wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR2hajcuFEM

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

This is really cool but I feel like the execution is pretty terrible what with the gradient and drop shadow. So I fixed it and resized it to fit best as a desktop background:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht7wq74t94c4411/elitethinglight.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gamkyqgd0s1ftew/elitethingdark.png?dl=0

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I feel like it says something about me that I spent more than a few moments looking for the ring.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dante80 posted:

Here is how to do a better video showcasing a skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0P4cpqSB8

I've never wanted an FDL more than this moment :ohdear:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel like it says something about me that I spent more than a few moments looking for the ring.

Exact same thing here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flight stick talk again.

Does anyone use the Thrustmaster Warthog? I just realized I've got quite a few Amazon gift cards I've been saving up and I'm eyeballing the Warthog. Is it as legit as the product page makes it seem? I realize that it's $100 more then the CH stick + throttle but drat if the set doesn't look sexy.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MarcusSA posted:

Flight stick talk again.

Does anyone use the Thrustmaster Warthog? I just realized I've got quite a few Amazon gift cards I've been saving up and I'm eyeballing the Warthog. Is it as legit as the product page makes it seem? I realize that it's $100 more then the CH stick + throttle but drat if the set doesn't look sexy.
As far as I'm aware, the Warthog's always been considered the best of the HOTAS things (since it's made out of really solid metal) but the stick doesn't twist so you'll need pedals to go with it to allow you to yaw.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Groggy nard posted:

If you get enough money to get into this Cobra(you can downgrade the Fuel Scoop to a B or C if you are low on cash) and go to a System called "Robigo" you can find special long distance bonus paying Haul missions, which will give you literally millions of credits to haul two tons of biowaste, and even more millions to sneak in illegal and immoral "goods" on the low. You can get a few of them at Trade Rank Penniless(which is the default new CMDR rank you start with) but you will get more even better paying ones the higher that rank goes.

You can stack these.

This is currently the most broken "working as intended" way to make cash and raise your Trade rank. It also gives you a good boost to your Federation Ranking. I once made 50million in one hour of the "smuggle struggle" with dat ASP

If you get Interdicted on the way, just submit, hit the boost button a lot, target the next system in your jump route, wait out the minimal FSD cooldown, and :frogout:

There are a few good effortposts around this very thread explaining the how and why in more detail, they are worth a look if you want more information.

Went to Robigo, couldn't get anything but some donation missions. So, no, you can't always get missions there at penniless. I asked in mumble and was told a few trade ranks are recommended before running Robigo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Thronde posted:

Went to Robigo, couldn't get anything but some donation missions. So, no, you can't always get missions there at penniless. I asked in mumble and was told a few trade ranks are recommended before running Robigo.

It is very much not worth it to do a Robigo run with any trade rank less than Broker. But you can get to Broker fairly quickly by doing some trading runs or rares loops. You might - might - be able to get away with being Merchant.

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 29, 2015

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mercurius posted:

As far as I'm aware, the Warthog's always been considered the best of the HOTAS things (since it's made out of really solid metal) but the stick doesn't twist so you'll need pedals to go with it to allow you to yaw.

Yeah I read that as well.

I just said gently caress it and pulled the trigger. Amazon has it for 330 (it's back ordered) and I had 120 in gift cards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I read that as well.

I just said gently caress it and pulled the trigger. Amazon has it for 330 (it's back ordered) and I had 120 in gift cards.

I have the warthog and for a long while I used a digital directional button on the stick where your thumb rests as my yaw. Up for left, down for right. It was perfectly serviceable but since that button is ridged pretty heavily and made out of metal it destroys your thumb. I tried putting tape on it, bits of rubber, lots of things to make it not shred my skin but in the end I got pedals and am much more happy about it. The Warthog is a bitchin' stick but be aware you are going to need to tweak it more than most sticks because it has true flip switches and E:D doesn't have the ability to understand this by default. Lucky for us people have this all figured out and ready to go already and once you have it set up it is smooth sailing.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
why'd i take this emergency courier mission when the hyperspace servers are all hosed

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just lost my viper on a smuggling mission by boosting just at the entrance to the orbital and I couldn't slow down in time to avoid the back of the orbital and blew up :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Don't know if you've tried, but in similar situations I've deployed landing gear as soon as I get into the slot and it seems to slow you down faster.

• Locked thread