Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Eeek... this comment is gay.

A stunning output from Western Culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

computer parts posted:

We're clearly dealing with one of the intellectual titans of Western Culture here, sir.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tei posted:

Eeek... this comment is gay.

Can we rewind the comment history?

I was talking about alien communities in a country.

Stuff like whole-german towns in Argentina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Argentine

It seems theres similar things this in USA. Whole spanish towns with the street indicators in spanish, the shops in spanish, people talking in spanish. Maybe I am 100% wrong here.

It seems this also happens in Israel, you have whole towns of Bedouins that are pro-israel, they identity themselves as part of israel and nothing with palestina. I could be completely wrong here, like 210% wrong here.

Lets rewind a bit more to the original comment:

This thread is a joke. Every commenter read only the last post without trying to understand whats going on, and reply to it trying to find a angle to criticize. This is the worst. Like that people that post in aggregation blogs and only read the titles and never read the articles themselves.

I may not have anything interesting to say (Helsing is right), but I pay attention to what you guys say and I try to reply honestly.

My theory is that insular communities can exist in USA because nobody care how you dance or how you celebrate Xmax in USA. USA really is serius about every human being being free to be and do whatever he please. So people is free to be part of a culture. This tolerance that exist in USA don't exist in other countries. USA is really the land of freedom, is not propaganda, is a real thing. That what my line "federation of individuals" means.

What the gently caress?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

What the gently caress?

Pretty sure he's an actual 14 year old at this point.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Nevvy Z posted:

Pretty sure he's an actual 14 year old at this point.

Or drunk posting for like three days straight. Same effect different source.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Many countries in africa are really rich. With plenty of natural resources. Uranium, diamonds, coal, oil. Their farming industry is also powerful, with even more production possible with the introduction of modern techniques.

Lets see how Islam has contributed in africa most populated nation:
https://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-explaining-nigerias-boko-haram-and-its-violent-insurgency/

Boko haram can be translated has "Western education is forbidden”

quote:

In 2013, Boko Haram targeted pupils in a series of awful school attacks in the northeast that killed dozens of boys. Later there were reports that the group was also kidnapping girls and women with the intent of raping them or making them brides.

In April 2014, attackers raided Chibok deep in northeastern Nigeria and kidnapped 276 school girls, generally between 16 and 18 years old. 219 remain missing. Shekau claimed credit for the kidnappings in a video and threatened to sell them.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That etymology about Boko Haram has been repeated a lot, but isn't actually true.

Anyway, here's something more relevant to the topic at hand.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

He's gay so let's throw him off a building and then stone him to death after his legs are broken.

An enlightened output from Middle Eastern Culture.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

RACHET posted:

He's gay so let's throw him off a building and then stone him to death after his legs are broken.

Huh, so all those references to loving other men up the rear end in Islamic poetry, those were just elaborate irony? I mean, cultures are simple and deterministic, except of course for the ones white people belong to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RACHET posted:

More proof that the people who claim "culture doesn't matter" become whiny babies once you actually criticize their culture.

RACHET
Dec 29, 2014

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

More proof that the people who claim "culture doesn't matter" become whiny babies once you actually criticize their culture.

Culture does matter. Maybe you can make up more things if you makes you feel better. I don't want to "trigger" you or anything.

Effectronica posted:

Huh, so all those references to loving other men up the rear end in Islamic poetry, those were just elaborate irony? I mean, cultures are simple and deterministic, except of course for the ones white people belong to.

I'm not sure if celebrating men raping prepubescent boys constitutes as elaborate irony.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I'm really at loss for how fast people turn on the First Amendment right to religion and free association (which is what private arbitration is) when someone's doing something they don't like and/or that scares them. Your approval of what ethical standard of living someone consents to doesn't matter, as long as physical violence isn't involved in the arbiter's ruling, and if you have hard proof of that happening in an American private sharia court bring it up already. Of course that'll still only impune that one court who did it and everyone else doesn't lose an iota of their rights to free associate into other sharia arbiters, but hey it's better than pure conjecture about clashing civilizations or whatever. poo poo or get off the pot.

RACHET posted:

We're talking about Islam, not Arabic culture, so that's not really relevant. It's a common mistake you're making and often why people slamming Muslims get pinned with the racism accusation because they made it too. Most Muslims are from Southeast Asia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RACHET posted:

I'm not sure if celebrating men raping prepubescent boys constitutes as elaborate irony.

But that's an integral part of Western culture!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tei posted:

Many countries in africa are really rich. With plenty of natural resources. Uranium, diamonds, coal, oil. Their farming industry is also powerful, with even more production possible with the introduction of modern techniques.

Lets see how Islam has contributed in africa most populated nation:
https://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-explaining-nigerias-boko-haram-and-its-violent-insurgency/

Boko haram can be translated has "Western education is forbidden”

Counterpoint: Senegal, an overwhelming Muslim country held up as a model of stability and democratic transparency in west africa.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

Most Muslims are from Southeast Asia.

You will find that the entire population of Southeast Asia (~620 million) is less than 40% of the global Muslim population (~1.6 billion)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

Counterpoint: Senegal, an overwhelming Muslim country held up as a model of stability and democratic transparency in west africa.

Interesting, kustom, will check that. Thanks for this.

*google*

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/senegal.html

Seems a Ok place if you have no problem sending gays to prison for kising.

quote:

LGBT RIGHTS: Consensual same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Senegal. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex (LGBTI) individuals routinely face discrimination, and there is strong societal disapproval. Under Article 319 of the Senegalese penal code, “unnatural acts” are punishable by imprisonment of one to five years and a fine of CFA 1,000,000 (USD $2,000). While authorities have not dedicated significant resources to prosecuting individuals under this article, there have been several recent prosecutions. In September 2014, two men were arrested after police caught them kissing behind the presidential palace. In February 2014, a judge sentenced two men to six months in jail after they admitted in court to having consensual same-sex sexual relations. The men were arrested after a neighbor told police they were living together. In November 2013, five women were arrested for violating the law at a birthday party in a bar in Dakar. Following several days in prison, where they were harassed, the women were released due to a lack of evidence. In October 2012, a court in Dakar sentenced a man for violating the law. In January 2012, two women were arrested following the circulation of a cell phone video that showed them kissing. They were detained and released on bail several days later but were never formally charged with a crime. These incidents were widely covered in local print and online media. Acts of aggression by the pubic based on sexual orientation are considered routine.

By western standards is Town Biggotry with Bigot Laws. By african standards is probably a pretty Ok place. If you don't plan to kiss a men behind the president palace, thats is. But thats very gay.

Tei fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 29, 2015

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Over centuries, we have seen that any culture's values can change to their antithesis and back again. The context of discussion should be restricted to the modern era. There is no question that certain places in 2015 have horrifying punishments justified by certain interpretations of Sharia law without any place for what we consider due process or a framework for changing the laws. This is obviously what most Western people think of when they hear the term Sharia rather than rules for inheritance/marriage/contracts because the boring parts aren't newsworthy. The term is poisoned. Non-punitive Sharia law would probably be accepted by Westerners if it was simply called something else.

Tei posted:

Interesting, kustom, will check that. Thanks for this.

*google*

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/senegal.html

Seems a Ok place if you have no problem sending gays to prison for kising.

By western standards is Town Biggotry with Bigot Laws. By african standards is probably a pretty Ok place. If you don't plan to kiss a men behind the president palace, thats is. But thats very gay.

This criticism doesn't hold much water when you remember that many parts of the United States had extremely harsh sodomy laws merely a dozen years ago, which is definitely in the modern era.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Indonesia has a population around 255 million, about 87% of which are Muslims. Seems like a large enough sample of adherents of Islam who successfully interact with global society without violence to discredit the idea that the religion itself is the problem.

Unless it is somehow significantly worse there than I have been led to believe.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Why is it when you question the compatability of certain cultures together, the automatic response by SJWs is the race card.

I can 100% say that as long as a person abides by the one human law that everyone agrees on (treat others as you would like to be treated) then I am happy to mix with that person.

However certain cultures apply that rule only to people of the same culture, and everyone else is a demon or a heretic or inferior etc...

Until people put their values as a human first, cultures will always be incompatible in some way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

emoji posted:

This criticism doesn't hold much water when you remember that many parts of the United States had extremely harsh sodomy laws merely a dozen years ago, which is definitely in the modern era.

Also, anti-LGBT persecution in Africa is hardly limited to Muslim-majority countries. Ever heard of God Loves Uganda?

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

RACHET posted:

He's gay so let's forcibly put him into a mental hospital and carve pieces of his brain out.

He saved us from the Nazi's you say? He knows too much then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Manic X posted:

However certain cultures apply that rule only to people of the same culture, and everyone else is a demon or a heretic or inferior etc...

Yeah we should talk to white culture about dealing with that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

emoji posted:

Over centuries, we have seen that any culture's values can change to their antithesis and back again. The context of discussion should be restricted to the modern era. There is no question that certain places in 2015 have horrifying punishments justified by certain interpretations of Sharia law without any place for what we consider due process or a framework for changing the laws. This is obviously what most Western people think of when they hear the term Sharia rather than rules for inheritance/marriage/contracts because the boring parts aren't newsworthy. The term is poisoned. Non-punitive Sharia law would probably be accepted by Westerners if it was simply called something else.

And most Muslims who want "Shari'a law" want the boring poo poo. That still leaves us at an impasse.

Manic X posted:

Why is it when you question the compatability of certain cultures together, the automatic response by SJWs is the race card.

I can 100% say that as long as a person abides by the one human law that everyone agrees on (treat others as you would like to be treated) then I am happy to mix with that person.

Until people put their values as a human first, cultures will always be incompatible in some way.

You're making a good case for Euro-American (Islamic culture being Western culture) culture having serious problems, producing people who use this absurd notion of "cultural incompatibility" to justify inhumane behavior.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RACHET posted:

I don't want to "trigger" you or anything.

The fact that you put that word in scare quotes seems to imply you think people being idiots on Tumblr means that PTSD doesn't exist. Pretty cold of you to take the valiant effort of the veterans who fought for your right to have free speech and make a mockery of their scars.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I think we in the west need to ask ourselves how we ended up in a discursive environment where politicians want to be seen condemning Islam, why we pass unnecessary legislation banning nonexistent sharia courts, why we have to tell Muslim women what they can and cannot wear, or tell Muslims where they can or cannot build Mosques.

I wonder why so many people feel the need to come into threads like this oh-so-eager to tell us all about how terrible Islam is, I want to know why on November 20 Bill Maher was conflating Islam with the separate traditions of FGM and honor killing when even the most superficial investigation would have disproved the link. I want to know why posters like Average Bear, who clearly had no idea what religious arbitration is, felt the need to condemn it.

When did this fear and hate creep into my country? Where did people like my dad get the idea that Muslims are encouraged to lie and cheat unbelievers, and how did he come to believe it so strongly that he refused to buy a used car from a man with an Arabic sounding name? That was an instance of prejudice, and its wasn't the only one committed against Muslims in America.

We need a plan to reverse the creeping bigotry.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

computer parts posted:

Yeah we should talk to white culture about dealing with that.

you was assuming that I was referring to Islamic cultures.

I mean Western cultures in particular who raid and pillage other countries.

Western countries should stop intefering in eastern lands, because we all know our governments don't intefere to peacekeep.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Squalid posted:

I think we in the west need to ask ourselves how we ended up in a discursive environment where politicians want to be seen condemning Islam*, why we pass unnecessary legislation banning nonexistent sharia courts**, why we have to tell Muslim women what they can and cannot wear***, or tell Muslims where they can or cannot build Mosques****.

I wonder why so many people feel the need to come into threads like this oh-so-eager to tell us all about how terrible Islam is*****, I want to know why on November 20 Bill Maher was conflating Islam with the separate traditions of FGM and honor killing when even the most superficial investigation would have disproved the link******. I want to know why posters like Average Bear, who clearly had no idea what religious arbitration is, felt the need to condemn it*******.

When did this fear and hate creep into my country? Where did people like my dad get the idea that Muslims are encouraged to lie and cheat unbelievers, and how did he come to believe it so strongly that he refused to buy a used car from a man with an Arabic sounding name? That was an instance of prejudice, and its wasn't the only one committed against Muslims in America.

We need a plan to reverse the creeping bigotry.

*,**,***,****,*****,******,******* : racism

The plan is, unfortunately, not going to succeed in the short-term, and even the long-term solution is years of attempting to subvert national (and international) propaganda that states that Muslims are evil. The long-term solution might not work either depending on how geopolitics and the media evolve in the 21st century. Without intending to say the situation is hopeless, we're certainly at a low point in combating these views.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm wondering what it is about Islamic culture that makes it particularly potent and effective at destroying the native culture of a place where an insignificant amount of Muslims live that other cultures don't have. Jewish, Italian, Catholic culture didn't destroy the western world. Quite the opposite actually.

Maybe if your culture can be destroyed from the inside out by a small cabal of people that have no real power then your culture isn't worth a poo poo to begin with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Squalid posted:

When did this fear and hate creep into my country?

September 11, 2001, was when it went on overdrive, and it has only increased since. Each terrorist act committed against westerners is directly aimed at increasing this bigotry. It is, after all, their hope that western society starts rejecting Islam violently, forcing the Muslims living in western society to emigrate to Muslim-majority country, or to rebel and take arms against the West.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

It's not Islamophobia if they're really out to get you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"if" being the key word.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

"if" being the key word.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Remind me, what was the justification given by bin Laden for that attack? Do you remember?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me, what was the justification given by bin Laden for that attack? Do you remember?

I don't pay attention to terrorists. Aside from cheering when they die.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We will kill every one of them until they’re so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baloogan posted:

I don't pay attention to terrorists. Aside from cheering when they die.

And this very outlook is why you'll continue to cause the deaths of innocents worldwide.

Try and answer my question again. Take a wild guess.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Is this a joke? Are you from /pol/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I didn't want to bring it up but Baloogan has been previously probated for accusing the mods of anti-Semitism (on shaky grounds). It's likely he's being ironic with posts like that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

I didn't want to bring it up but Baloogan has been previously probated for accusing the mods of anti-Semitism (on shaky grounds). It's likely he's being ironic with posts like that.

To be fair being against antisemitism doesn't mean you aren't ok with other forms of religious intolerance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Also, anti-LGBT persecution in Africa is hardly limited to Muslim-majority countries. Ever heard of God Loves Uganda?

Let's not engage in Christophobia, criticizing evangelical and pentecostal homophobia in Africa is just another display of colonialist white supremacy.

Tesseraction posted:

Al Qaeda's declaration of war against the United States was explicitly grounded in Islamic religious tradition, specifically a hadith in which the Prophet supposedly banned infidels from the Arabian Peninsula. The stationing of American troops in Saudi Arabia was seen as a violation by the Saudi monarchy of that religious duty.

But since the real answer makes you look like foolish, I'm guessing you had a different (and incorrect) answer in mind.

• Locked thread