Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Looks great! Did you pay his asking price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did, as it was a reasonable ask.

I should say reasonable given how hard I recently foun out it is to find a nice sv and given how much they generally go for around here.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 15, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:respek: blue sv buddies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah :hfive:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Great buy. Further anecdotal evidence I bought mine with around 25k and rode it up to nearly 50k with no concerns about reliability. Still wish I didn't have to get rid of it.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
not normally a fan of SVs but that black frame looks sweet

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Are blue, naked SVs officially the most popular bike in CA now? I'm jealous of y'alls black frames though nice bike!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Nice find. I'd even say that's a great deal, the bike looks very clean. What part of the country are you in? Love SVs, kinda thinking of getting one again. Oddly enough I also used to have a B12 and am a little on the fence about which I'd rather own again. Both super reliable with crap stock components. On SV reliability, my anecdote is I put 30k street miles on mine, and then track converted it and cut out the speed/odometer. Lasted 3 seasons of abuse before I finally killed it (crash not mechanical).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Quite A Tool posted:

Great buy. Further anecdotal evidence I bought mine with around 25k and rode it up to nearly 50k with no concerns about reliability. Still wish I didn't have to get rid of it.

You're in Az, right? What are you asking for it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Infinotize posted:

Nice find. I'd even say that's a great deal, the bike looks very clean. What part of the country are you in? Love SVs, kinda thinking of getting one again. Oddly enough I also used to have a B12 and am a little on the fence about which I'd rather own again. Both super reliable with crap stock components. On SV reliability, my anecdote is I put 30k street miles on mine, and then track converted it and cut out the speed/odometer. Lasted 3 seasons of abuse before I finally killed it (crash not mechanical).

I'm in Milwaukee.

As for the SV vs Bandit 1200, they're similar in concept, a bit different in execution. The SV feels narrower and more nimble, the b12 feels more substantial. Obviously the b12 motor makes more power and torque, but it's tough to beat the v-twin in the SV, it feels revvier, believe it or not. As far as I4's go, the b12 is one of the greats, it really comes down to what you want. They're both awesome bikes for different reasons.

These are my thoughts having built a 120hp bandit and ridden it for 3 years vs riding an sv for one day, so take that for what it's worth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2015-eicma-suzuki-sv650.html:siren:

This better come to the US!!!!!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

BlackMK4 posted:

You're in Az, right? What are you asking for it?

Unfortunately I already sold it back in Feb. when I moved to Seattle. Still bikeless and its killing me, however having heat and not getting soaked right now is pretty cool I'm not gonna lie.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are the motosliders the go to slider for SV's? They come recommended on svrider but I'm still trying to figure out how to parse the squid talk from the actual info over there

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have them on my 07 and when it tipped over while idling unattended (never again) the only damage was a broken turn signal lens and a scuffed bar end.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I have the T-Rex Racing no cut sliders on my SV650F. Their customer service sucks, but they didn't spam Svrider like the other brand /store does and they saved my bike and plastics from a ~30 mph lowside at COTA earlier this year-- other than a broken clutch lever, worn down swingarm spool (also from T-Rex), and some scratches on the belly of my plastics.

Edit: Also, significantly cheaper than Motosliders.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have the woodcraft ones. I've dropped my bike on both sides while pushing it around :blush: and not a single part of my bike except for my barends/pegs touched the ground. Not the tank, not the tail fairing, not the radiator, nothing. A+++

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are the motosliders the go to slider for SV's? They come recommended on svrider but I'm still trying to figure out how to parse the squid talk from the actual info over there

They helped in my wreck, but the bike was still totaled. Woulda been worse off without them though.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So after owning an '06 SV650 for about a year, selling it, and riding other things for a couple years, I think I'm actually going to move back to an EFI SV.

Things I didn't like when I had it: ugly as hell (silver with bikini fairing), poo poo suspension, no soul. Things I liked: comfortable when fitted with a Renthal style handle bar, great power delivery, reliable as hell.

Now I think I'm just going to hold out for a naked, non silver, suspension modded SV in fantastic shape at the 3k mark. Just can't justify spending 10k on a motard like I've been planning. If I actually like the way the bike looks, it will obtain soul. (always liked the factory naked bikes way better than bikini faired ones. Hindsight is 20/20, etc.)

XYLOPAGUS fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 4, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 03 silver is pretty meh, but the later (07+, I think?) silver is gorgeous.

Also I'm surprised to see someone describe it as soulless. It has more character than a lot of bikes out there. Ride a parallel twin for a year and then get back to me on that one :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 03 silver is pretty meh, but the later (07+, I think?) silver is gorgeous.

Also I'm surprised to see someone describe it as soulless. It has more character than a lot of bikes out there. Ride a parallel twin for a year and then get back to me on that one :)

I agree with you 100%. It was, afterall, my second bike and I had a lust for foxeyes and motards. I just couldn't get over the ugliness of the thing. Power delivery is the best of anything I've been on. For the record:

Bike 1: 2010 Ninja 250 ~ 8,000 miles in So. CA
Bike 2: 2006 SV650 ~ 5,000 miles in Houston TX + 1 track day
Bike 3: 2002 XR400R Motard RIP engine popped on HWY 59 NB ~ 6,000 miles in Houston + 3 track days
Bike 4 (current): 1997 FZR600R ~ 10,000 miles in Houston + 1 track day

Still love the FZR, especially after my recent track day where I found it gets fun about 1,000 RPM prior to redline, but I realize if the SV650 was prettier with proper suspension, it would basically be the perfect biek.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The prettiest SV is the N model, get that and put proper suspension on it

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 5, 2015

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The prettiest SV is the N model, get that and put proper suspension on it

You are correct. Plan: clean af N model, do an emulator + spring + fork oil change on the front and ZX10R on rear. Properly set up, it will ride fantastically!

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Had some bikes, sold bikes, drove around the country for a while, have bike again, much joy.

31,000mi '04 with Renthal bars (Never rode a stock SV so I have nothing to compare to, but I like the width, gonna have to play with the rotation a bit) and mirrors that are almost certainly trying to get me carmurdered.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Very nice, I'm jealous of your seat cowl, since they now sell for a trillion dollars when you can find them.

Does it have a seat cover or something? What am I seeing there?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very nice, I'm jealous of your seat cowl, since they now sell for a trillion dollars when you can find them.

Does it have a seat cover or something? What am I seeing there?

I had no idea about the seat cowl being unobtanium. It came with the pillion seat and a spare front seat as well, so I may just dump the cowl as I tend to use that bit for lashing things to the bike anyway.

The seat that's on it is a stock one that was "sort of" recovered by the PO's PO in leather. It's just a bit loose so it's wrinkled over time. I'll probably end up refoaming and shaping my spare seat, recovering that and replacing eventually. That stock seat is just about the worst thing I've sat on.

I'd like to replace the mirrors on there ASAP. I've only ever dealt with faired bikes, however, so I'm unfamiliar with how these guys are swapped out with regards to compatibility, etc. Am I replacing the mirror+stalk and screwing into the existing mounts? Or do I have to replace the whole shebang?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can screw new mirrors into the existing mounts. Pm me if you want to sell that cowl, as the 04 and 05 blue SV's use the same shade of blue

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can screw new mirrors into the existing mounts. Pm me if you want to sell that cowl, as the 04 and 05 blue SV's use the same shade of blue

PM'd!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I don't think I'll ever find a cowl for my gray 08. :(

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Quite A Tool posted:

I still miss it several bikes later. I am glad it treated you good.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone have suggestions on foot pegs? My k4 got hit in my parking lot while parked, somehow the brake lever survived, but the peg was broken. A single new OEM replacement is almost double the price of any of the aftermarket sets I've seen, but dunno if they're worth using or not. Thoughts?

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

dreggory posted:

Had some bikes, sold bikes, drove around the country for a while, have bike again, much joy.

31,000mi '04 with Renthal bars (Never rode a stock SV so I have nothing to compare to, but I like the width, gonna have to play with the rotation a bit) and mirrors that are almost certainly trying to get me carmurdered.

After a couple weeks of tooling around and a few rides out in the hills I can definitely see why front suspension is one of the most common mods on these things. Coming from a '90s 600 I feel like I'm riding on roided-out pogo sticks and I miss the 'planted' feeling I had in turns.

Am I looking at an eventual full front end replacement or are there other, less extensive options that will give me that feedback+stability? I ride street pretty exclusively and have no plans to track the bike just yet.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

dreggory posted:

After a couple weeks of tooling around and a few rides out in the hills I can definitely see why front suspension is one of the most common mods on these things. Coming from a '90s 600 I feel like I'm riding on roided-out pogo sticks and I miss the 'planted' feeling I had in turns.

Am I looking at an eventual full front end replacement or are there other, less extensive options that will give me that feedback+stability? I ride street pretty exclusively and have no plans to track the bike just yet.

Race Tech cartridge emulators and springs. They do require you to disassemble your forks and drill holes in the damping rod, but are the closest thing you're going to get to true cartridge forks without swapping the front end. Keep in mind that any improvements you make to the front end are going to make the stock rear shock feel inadequate (which it is).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.twfracing.com/

Look no further.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, springs appropriate for your weight, fresh oil, and cartridge emulators are all anyone needs on the street.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

I have the T-Rex Racing no cut sliders on my SV650F. Their customer service sucks, but they didn't spam Svrider like the other brand /store does and they saved my bike and plastics from a ~30 mph lowside at COTA earlier this year-- other than a broken clutch lever, worn down swingarm spool (also from T-Rex), and some scratches on the belly of my plastics.

Edit: Also, significantly cheaper than Motosliders.

This color scheme is absolutely beautiful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Got the cowl yesterday, looks good. Also looks like someone had a soda explode in the underseat storage, but that can be cleaned off.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Just joined the sv club a month ago, loving it so far! I have a '04 650 naked.

Quick question though: When i was moving it down the block today for street cleaning, my front brake was crazy soft and I had to pump it a pew times before I got any grab. Kind of like when you change out the pads. I last rode 3 days ago and it was totally normal. Is there something I should investigate? Eventually when they did grab it felt normal

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My guess would be old fluid (dark like coffee) or more realistically air in the line.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Could also be a failing master cylinder seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I pretty much agree with Z3n here, especially given how notoriously lovely Suzuki masters are.

• Locked thread