Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Red Baron posted:

Do they ever explain why the Institute is kidnapping people and replacing them with Synths? It's the one plot line I don't think I resolved. Did I miss a terminal somewhere or something?

I think someone posited they were testing to see how well Synths could integrate into "normal society" but the Institute seems pretty consistent with their "Synths are not people" party line so why would they care about that? It seems like the only Synths with a purpose on the surface are the Coursers since they retrieve those who escape, but the rest appear to be intended to dwell underground forever from what I gathered.

We don't really know for sure this is even happening, beyond the Mayor of Diamond City. The only evidence we have is of informers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vehementi posted:

We don't really know for sure this is even happening, beyond the Mayor of Diamond City. The only evidence we have is of informers.

If you do any of their sidequests it's pretty obvious they are doing so, like that farm in the south. They seem to be replacing people so they can perform experiments on the surface and gather intel.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Vehementi posted:

The Institute are constantly replacing my people (and now, apparently, Brahmin) at The Castle with Synths. Am I the only one this happens to?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
How are you detecting that's happening? Do they talk to you as synths or are you going by various reddit myths about energy resistance in vats?

I have no institute sidequests available and I haven't had to replace anyone...

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Vehementi posted:

How are you detecting that's happening? Do they talk to you as synths or are you going by various reddit myths about energy resistance in vats?

I have no institute sidequests available and I haven't had to replace anyone...

I know because when I show up at The Castle all the other settlers are murdering them, and when I loot their corpse they always have a Synth Component and an Institute Pistol.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

If you do any of their sidequests it's pretty obvious they are doing so, like that farm in the south. They seem to be replacing people so they can perform experiments on the surface and gather intel.

Yeah, their interactions/experiments with the surface seem to be "Replace someone with a synth, do the test we need, then have the synth kill them all".

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I've not really noticed the enemies being damage sponges at Survival Difficulty?

Granted, my last character mained an Instigating Missile Launcher and an Exploding Shotgun, and my current character is a Lck/Agi/Per pistol crit monkey who runs with a Lucky .44 and a Two-Shot .50 Cal pistol.

I have had some points where I needed to reload a few times, but I don't think I've seen any enemies that are particularly damage spongey. A headshot crit will kill almost any legendary in one shot, and even power armor goons are easy to take care of with Penetrator so I can instantly take out the fusion core.

Edit: Wait, I take that back. Behemoths and Swan were damage sponges, but I fought the Behemoth at like level 20 and I was in a level 40 or so area, so I thought that was normal. Swan was pretty damage spongey, but that was a boss--in fact the first damage spongey one that I saw. Kellogg went down to two Lucky .44 crits in the head immediately.

Edit 2: While I'm on the subject of Behemoths, though, I hate their rock throws. It's friggin hard to dodge, I try to jump over it or run away, and I swear it tracks you.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 29, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the console command to unlock ballistic weave mods in armor workshops?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is there any way to unlock the Ghoul Pool (aka The Slog) as a settlement? There was a ghoul there who sent me on a fetch quest for some Giddyup Buttercup parts at an old toy factory, and he thanked me and gave me a reward when I brought him the stuff, but he just seems to keep tinkering away in his shed and the workbench still says I'm not allied to the settlement yet. None of the other named ghouls there seem to have any quests.

And I found a cool NPC at Egret Tours Marina. She's convinced herself that she must be a synth to explain why she accidentally shot her son. :smith: It would be sadder if they didn't use the generic old lady voice actor for her.

BenRGamer posted:

Edit 2: While I'm on the subject of Behemoths, though, I hate their rock throws. It's friggin hard to dodge, I try to jump over it or run away, and I swear it tracks you.

I swear NPCs get to use VATS for throws.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you get Tinker tom to unlock ballistic weave? I did a bunch of terrible Railroad quests last night for him, PAM and the doctor and he never brings it up. I thought it was linked to doing quests for them but this is a pain in the rear end.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2015

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What is the console command to unlock ballistic weave mods in armor workshops?

RailroadArmorClothingMod or RailroadClothingArmorMod something like that, it's a variable you have to Set to 1.

Set x to 1

and all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Starhawk64 posted:

A 10 CHR build. The comedy option. Probably still won't pass those dumb speech checks however but being able to befriend Deathclaws like that raptor trainer from Jurassic World sounds awesome. Not to mention abusing settlements so I build my own Purified Water and Jet empire, though you can do that even with 1 CHR. Local Leader is so stupid, being able to build shops and crafting stations and set up supply lines should have been built into the settlement building to begin with and not gated behind two ranks of a perk gated behind the stat everyone dumps because videogames are combat heavy, which is why I said comedy option. Can always have a companion do my dirty work I guess.

10 CHR pass red speech checks the majority of the time. It opens up some really funny things. Intimidation is a lot funner than the animal friend thing. You just point your gun at a raider or w/e and he's like "whoa man, calm down." Then you can command him around. Grab that loving coffee cup and give it to me. "Ok, just don't shoot!" My build (5th playthrough, haven't finished one completely yet) is

S3
P3
E3
C7
I5
A2
L5

Which gives me access to pretty much every perk I could want. Sucks I can't go ninja, but there's basically no point in having 10 charisma if you're not going to have the Science! perk, and idiot savant is the mandatory first perk for any build, so there's not much left.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 29, 2015

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
So, just to make sure. If I side with the Railroad, I still get to kill the Brotherhood blimb? This is important to me. No matter what path I choose I need to make sure I kill those faggots.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lollerich posted:

So, just to make sure. If I side with the Railroad, I still get to kill the Brotherhood blimb? This is important to me. No matter what path I choose I need to make sure I kill those faggots.

Yes

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Vehementi posted:

There's the people in settlements as mentioned (though personally I haven't seen this, but in fairness I said "gently caress off" to my settlements pretty early on) and there's an event in Goodneighbor where you watch the guards murder a Synth that replaced someone. They mention figuring it out because he stops cheating on his wife and using drugs, and sure enough he has Synth parts on him. Can't say for sure he wasn't a Synth all along, though.

e: I should also mention that I read some quests (I think tied to Valentine) where you investigate "body snatched" people it turns out the Institute wasn't really behind some of them, and it really was just the Wasteland being dangerous or something like that.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
:h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h::h:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You should launch a few mini nukes at the blimp and see what happens. I have no idea if that does anything but it would be rad if it did.

I'm honestly surprised that they are able to keep it in the air with the quality of pilots the BOS has.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

You should launch a few mini nukes at the blimp and see what happens. I have no idea if that does anything but it would be rad if it did.

I'm honestly surprised that they are able to keep it in the air with the quality of pilots the BOS has.

i bet if you followed it to boston airport from where you first see it, it'd smash into a whole bunch of poo poo along the way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate Fort Hagen. Place is a pain in the rear end to navigate.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

If you're not having fun with melee, you're doing it wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtMbQCE8460

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

On my second playthrough. Is it possible to jump over a bunch of hurdles in the main plot chain by going directly to Fort Hagen and stumbling into the confrontation with Kellogg? I'm thinking of how in Fallout 3 you could go directly to Tranquility Lane right from the start and jump over a bunch of stuff. Also, if I shoot Father in the face the moment I see him, how does that affect the Railroad / Brotherhood faction quests?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Beef Hardcheese posted:

On my second playthrough. Is it possible to jump over a bunch of hurdles in the main plot chain by going directly to Fort Hagen and stumbling into the confrontation with Kellogg? I'm thinking of how in Fallout 3 you could go directly to Tranquility Lane right from the start and jump over a bunch of stuff. Also, if I shoot Father in the face the moment I see him, how does that affect the Railroad / Brotherhood faction quests?

Nope, the place is full of synths but the elevator you need to go down is boarded up.

Dunno on the second question

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Dunno about the last part but this game specifically goes out of its way to keep you from sequence breaking, unlike every other Fallout. If you try to go to Fort Hagen an elevator will just refuse to work. If you try to go straight to Virgil he won't say anything to you. I dunno why they felt the need to do this.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Zodium posted:

The vanilla game is beyond too easy after level 20-30, and Survival just makes the enemies spongy. Survival with 150-200% level scaling and 5x NPC damage is about right without being trivial or masochistic in the end game.

Are there any mods you would recommend to make that happen. The XP scaling I can handle cause I found this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1959/

Looking to see what they have in the way for mods for NPCs and such. If there are a couple the thread figures are pretty good I'd like to give them a try.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

WAIT WHAT

There's a cover system? What? When? How?

WHY DOES IT NOT TELL ME THESE THINGS

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AndyElusive posted:

[HELP DEFEND FITCH FARM]

*goes and helps Fitch Farm from Ghouls*

Fitch Farmer: Thanks for the help!

*10 minutes later*

[FAILED TO HELP DEFEND FITCH FARM]

:crossarms:

I don't know what the gently caress is going on with Finch Farm but every time I go there they're in peril. Dude, your loving son just ran away and now your wife was kidnapped? I saved your wife, now super mutants are harassing you? Now it's raiders at the foundry again?

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know the difference between the BOS II and the BOS V T-60 armour?

This thread moves silly quick so may have already been answered, but the roman numerial is the quality of the armor. It's the same deal as "hardened" or "polymer", the higher the number the more hitpoints and DR/RR the armor piece will have. It's also the reason you take the armorer perk and grab yourself a set of X-01 power armor and upgrade it to VI, when you're roaming the wastelands in armor with 1800DR/1300ER/1050Rad resistance you can survive anything. Seriously I'd been scavenging everywhere and had amassed 45 fusion cores, when I grabbed a set of that armor and upgraded it I haven't left my power armor since, I can happily gently caress around with different guns even when in striking distance of 3 legendary deathclaws. And give not a single gently caress about super mutant suiciders or raiders with fat men.

edit: somebody answered 3 pages ago, and either they're wrong or I am and BOS power armor behaves differently :downs:

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 30, 2015

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I must be missing something in how combat works or how I built my character, but I've cheated my level to over 1000 and still run into legendary enemies (some radscorpions and charred ghouls) that take 10-15 headshots to take down. From what I understand enemies don't scale, I'm playing on normal, but I'm still taking almost a dozen shots to put these enemies down from gauss rifles, the cryolator, and sometimes it even took 2+ "hits" with the MIRV-modded big boy (so 12 nukes in one throw) to kill these tougher enemies. What have I missed? Obviously once I tweaked my level so high I grabbed every perk, but I didn't notice any kind of reduction in the number of shots to kill.

e: well wtf vvv not what I had read elsewhere, but that would make a lot more sense.

Red Baron fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Enemies do scale.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know what the gently caress is going on with Finch Farm but every time I go there they're in peril. Dude, your loving son just ran away and now your wife was kidnapped? I saved your wife, now super mutants are harassing you? Now it's raiders at the foundry again?

Yeah finch farm is a danger magnet. I started building beds and stuff on top of the highways above.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is there any evidence that console commands will gently caress up your game?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah finch farm is a danger magnet. I started building beds and stuff on top of the highways above.

That's one of my most-attacked settlements, and it is usually a Gunner raid with 2-3 rocket launchers and a legendary. It seemed to stop once I added a few missile turrets.

Since my level 50 character can't progress until the game is fixed I decided to start a new character. For some reason the game's performance on this playthrough has been bad, hitching and stuttering all through Corvega. On my other character the game ran smooth as silk except in my Sanctuary house where it seemed to hang on all of the containers full of crap.

Well, that and the part where it completely crashes any time I go west of the BADTF regional office / south of the bridge.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

titties posted:

That's one of my most-attacked settlements, and it is usually a Gunner raid with 2-3 rocket launchers and a legendary. It seemed to stop once I added a few missile turrets.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and drag a bunch of scrap over there to build them a gently caress off wall or something.

Fitch Farm seems a little bugged though. I'll help them out, get the all clear and then somehow they end up getting attacked again and I wont get the heads up on it resulting in a fail. When I go back to check how they are, they'll be farming or sleeping. So I don't really get it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

How do you get Tinker tom to unlock ballistic weave? I did a bunch of terrible Railroad quests last night for him, PAM and the doctor and he never brings it up. I thought it was linked to doing quests for them but this is a pain in the rear end.

PAM has to give you a quest to find a cache, once you do tinker tom will mention that the cache contained ballistic weave and start selling gear with it integrated. After that you can weave it into clothes yourself.,

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

coyo7e posted:

drat, you got good eyes son

Sometimes to help a reader visualize an element as they themselves see it, writers employ a technique called "description." In this instance the writer, Cormac McCarthy, described them as truck springs, not as a way to indicate the character knew what they were specifically, but so the reader would imagine a certain kind of spring that would be close to the image he had in his own mind. Even someone not familiar with what truck springs look like would be able to call to mind the common image of a spring and when associated with a truck, a large object, be able to picture a larger than typical spring.

I hope this helps you make sense of the world.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I don't know if radiant quests are random, but once I did enough for PAM to start giving me missions, it was just mercer safehouse -> jackpot for me to unlock it. jackpot is the quest that does so.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Truck springs would be a really good thing to use as a weapon in a post-apocalypse setting because they're made of steel, which nowadays is much higher in quality than in the days when spears and swords were commonplace.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I need some settlement building advice.

I'm building a large building at the drive-in. It will be at least two stories tall, with the first story actually being two walls tall. I also want the first story ceiling/second story floor to not be as large as the building itself. As you can see, it doesn't reach the front of the building here. The idea is to create a large, open area space. But this creates a problem; a gap between the first and second story walls where there is no ceiling/floor tile.

What could be done about this, beyond sacrificing my design and putting the floor tiles there? I'm open to mods here (I think you can see I'm already using some in this picture), but I don't see any that exist yet for this. So without that... what is there? I could just place walls right on top of each other, but then the floors won't be able to fit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
So what are the odds that one of the DLC is just going to be straight out a retelling of call of cthulhu? I feel like between the amount of HP lovecraft stuff they stick in here and the very large amount of water based stuff this game has but basically never uses that has to be where they are going, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Red Baron posted:

Do they ever explain why the Institute is kidnapping people and replacing them with Synths? It's the one plot line I don't think I resolved. Did I miss a terminal somewhere or something?

I think someone posited they were testing to see how well Synths could integrate into "normal society" but the Institute seems pretty consistent with their "Synths are not people" party line so why would they care about that? It seems like the only Synths with a purpose on the surface are the Coursers since they retrieve those who escape, but the rest appear to be intended to dwell underground forever from what I gathered.

What I gathered is that they replace people so they can spy and influence the world above. Like Danse and McDonough being synths gives them a lot of power over people. I also think they have swapped out a lot more people than one would think.

• Locked thread