Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

SSNeoman posted:

I guess I'd be okay with people owning automatics so long as they can prove that they can do so responsibly. Even if it is just for their freep fantasies. As long as they don't try to realize those thoughts they can stroke their barrel as much as they want :rimshot:

DarkHorse would a sort of piece-by-piece gun control be accepted by gun owners? Like say if there was a new law that required people to pass a test to get a license which lets people own automatics. Could we start with that or would there be too much resistance for even that change?
And if we could, what sort of things should the law cover and how could it do so responsibly?
I don't want to talk about handgun laws for now because holy poo poo that seems like an even more complex kettle of fish.

EDIT: LeJackal make the thread

DarkHorse covered most of why automatics aren't easy to acquire, but there's a bit more. While the tax stamp is only $200 you have to go through an extensive background check with the ATF, FBI, and BATFE. You also need the chief law enforcement officer in your area (Chief of police, country sheriff, state or federal judge) to sign off on your application. The whole process takes at least 3-6 months, but could take a full year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thank you a lot DarkHorse those were fantastic posts. I definitely understand the frustration with gun control a lot better now.
I don't know why the gun memes don't mention those laws. I mean I'd sympathize far more with them if they did indeed talk about contradictory laws rather than shouting "THIS IS AN ASSAULT TOASTER" like children.

Shame that the NRA doesn't budge on their stance, seems like they have a chance to do some real good and create a scenario where everyone wins.

LeJackel make the thread.

Anyhow, to rerail this thing, any ideas how I should respond here:

I'm Tera Toriel and he's Tera Misu

This was in response to this link: http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/03/mehdi-hasan-how-islamic-islamic-state

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 29, 2015

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SSNeoman posted:

Thank you a lot DarkHorse those were fantastic posts. I definitely understand the frustration with gun control a lot better now.
I don't know why the gun memes don't mention those laws. I mean I'd sympathize far more with them if they did indeed talk about contradictory laws rather than shouting "THIS IS AN ASSAULT TOASTER" like children.

Shame that the NRA doesn't budge on their stance, seems like they have a chance to do some real good and create a scenario where everyone wins.

LeJackel make the thread.

Anyhow, to rerail this thing, any ideas how I should respond here:

This was in response to this link: http://www.newstatesman.com/world-affairs/2015/03/mehdi-hasan-how-islamic-islamic-state

Does he realize he's supporting ISIS if he says they "take their faith more seriously" than other Muslims? For some reason, extremists are always given the benefit of the doubt with regards to sincerity, and peaceful followers are assumed to be compromised. If I, as a Christian, take a couple verses out of context to justify hating gays, I'm assumed to be sincere at the least, but if I instead focus on Jesus's core message of universal love, I'm a squishy apostate.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

For the rest it seems like you're always taking the least charitable interpretation, and it's exceedingly difficult to discuss anything when it's clear you are not willing to budge on any points. On that note, good luck.

It isn't an interpretation. Much of what you propose has been attempted or is currently in effect in some locations, and the negatives I list are a reality.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Fortunately the best alternative to discussing gun control in anyway is to just kind of ignore it and hope people stop getting murdered by domestic terrorists

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

@SSNeoman: the article is devastating to your friend's position, it's pretty clear they haven't read it or discount it entirely.

it is hard to deal with the notion that Bible-based religions are magically immune to the same critiques that are being leveled at the Koran, because reasons.

this handwavium makes winning the argument impossible without challenging that basic assumption

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

There are arguments that they are more successful at their true purpose, which is to better consolidate the power of the oligarchical elite.

I think that already happened dude

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I don't think you guys understand, the reason we need millions of guns and billions of tons of ammunition just sort of wafting throughout our society is so that the post-apocalyptic RPG our entire history was created as the foundation/backstory of can be played on Easy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Ah Christ, a friend of mine who doesn't usually do political stuff posted this article - http://conservativetribune.com/truth-about-black-crime/

quote:

I avoid politics like the plague, but if this guy ran for president, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. In a world becoming obsessed and castrated by political correctness, he faces and silences a mob of uneducated loud mouths with brutal truths and passion.
I don't let much get to me, but after seeing everything my father went through as a police officer, I have the utmost respect and gratitude for cops, and a loathing disgust for anyone who bashes them. ‪#‎tellsithowitis‬ ‪#‎nobullshit‬ ‪#‎respecttheblue‬ ‪#‎thankGodforthem‬

And then goes on to lament over how few kids are spanked these days because it would totally solve the problem.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
My Aunt liked a post with This Article, which has the double whammy of Breitbart and noted war criminal Allen West, joy! :shepicide:

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

LeJackal posted:

Also, remember ye olde canard about only outlaws having guns?

Looks like the criminals still have them.

Actually I live in marrickville and firstly that was such a weird story people talked about it because nobody around here has seen a *gun story* in the inner west for decades and also it even says in the story that the gun they seized from that guy was an antique tommy gun, so gently caress you for being disingenuous.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Ah Christ, a friend of mine who doesn't usually do political stuff posted this article - http://conservativetribune.com/truth-about-black-crime/

I wouldn't trust this man with a firearm.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This is the best argument I've seen for gun control in a while

A Swedish man decides to go on a suicidal rampage in a school with a sword

He killed all of two people before he was shot to death by police.

Apparently he was a right winger and did it as a demonstration against immigration.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zephyrine posted:

This is the best argument I've seen for gun control in a while

A Swedish man decides to go on a suicidal rampage in a school with a sword

He killed all of two people before he was shot to death by police.

Apparently he was a right winger and did it as a demonstration against immigration.

If only there were a good man with a sword.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If the students had been armed with daggers this wouldn't have happened.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DarkHorse posted:

This was the only one out of your comments I thought wasn't a strawman, and you're absolutely correct on this point. I meant to include a caveat restricting gun ownership for those that commit murder or domestic violence involving a firearm, or have a restraining order against them, subject to reasonable rules that could be hammered out were any legislation in the works.

The problem with that is that everybody starts out as a legal gun owner, at least until they do something violent. You can purchase a handgun with nothing but the best of intentions, and a year down the road, that's not going to matter a single bit when you're drunkenly swinging it around and yelling "did you gently caress him" at your wife.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think I hit the end of the road. Oh well.

I'm Edy Toriel. He's Beau Tie (Tara Misu from before)

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 29, 2015

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

I'm offended that I spent all that time sneaking up on you and lining up that shot and all you had was 2 gold, some lovely steel armor, an iron sword and some Nord Mead.

But seriously why did they use a viking for this? Were vikings known for never being offended or something? I get that the common stereotype is that they were extra tough and all, but it has nothing to do with the message.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

KillerJunglist posted:

I'm offended that I spent all that time sneaking up on you and lining up that shot and all you had was 2 gold, some lovely steel armor, an iron sword and some Nord Mead.

But seriously why did they use a viking for this? Were vikings known for never being offended or something? I get that the common stereotype is that they were extra tough and all, but it has nothing to do with the message.

Because Vikings were fierce warriors thst would laugh at your trigger warnings and micro agressions!

What? Vikings had really progressive rape laws for that time period?

(Cracked article but meh)

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Vikings have been romanticized as something other than a bunch of dirt farmers with an occasional raiding party

and also probably Aryan stuff

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Plus words and language were incredibly important to the Norse peoples. They had a tradition called "flyting" that was a literal insult poetry contest - a rap battle - and a real man was expected to be really good at it because words and poetry were a major part of the culture.

No actual Viking would ever, ever be so dismissive of "mere words".

(also they had a reputation all across Europe for being metrosexual pretty boys. Which isn't relevant to the picture but usually makes the people who post that sort of poo poo twitchy as hell)

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

(also they had a reputation all across Europe for being metrosexual pretty boys. Which isn't relevant to the picture but usually makes the people who post that sort of poo poo twitchy as hell)

So really not much has changed, then.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Welcome our old friend heteronormativity and gender policing

Now grammar-free

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

Why no, I've never been dirty in my entire life. Even slightly!

Is the reverse true, by the way? Because I'm pretty sure my wife's hands have been dirty before :ohdear:

edit: sorry, I meant "my wifes"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

KillerJunglist posted:

Why no, I've never been dirty in my entire life. Even slightly!

Is the reverse true, by the way? Because I'm pretty sure my wife's hands have been dirty before :ohdear:

edit: sorry, I meant "my wifes"

You got a husband, bro

edit: Also, those hands are dirty sure, but... I don't see any calluses or cuts or abrasions or burns or scars.

It's almost like some lily-fingered PUSSY just got his hands a little dirty :rolleyes:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 29, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

Wait...so does this mean i'm not trans? My hands are usually pretty bad after work.:confused:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 29, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is it pretty normal to be dirty around a girlfriend? I preferred to be clean, smell good, and dress nice around them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doctor Butts posted:

Is it pretty normal to be dirty around a girlfriend? I preferred to be clean, smell good, and dress nice around them.

Oh, that's your problem, you're not supposed to hang out with your girlfriend. She's inside making food, you're outside fixing cars and mending fences, then you come inside, wash your hands with coarse Lava soap, voraciously eat the meal she made, and take her roughly on the counter. Then, sit down with a beer and watch TV until she falls asleep from boredom.

This is how all couples everywhere for all time are MEANT to work. You fuckups just hosed it up with your GAYNESS.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
So I work in hospitality and am constantly working with my hands and often suffer cuts, bruises and scrapes as a result, but due to the fact that I am preparing drinks for people also have to keep them very clean and groomed.

Am I a big tough working man or a lily girly boy? Please, help me right wing macro! I am confused!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

I wear gloves at work so my hands don't get greasy or exposed to UV light. Whoops? :(

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

That's one unused hand. I study gender, philosophy, and Latin at a liberal arts university and my hands are way more scarred, bruised, and worn-out.

It goes well with my nail polish. ;-*

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

It's really funny that dirty hands are a symbol of masculinity considering the same people also think that things like gardening, cooking, child care, and nursing are women's domains. :v:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Willatron posted:

So I work in hospitality and am constantly working with my hands and often suffer cuts, bruises and scrapes as a result, but due to the fact that I am preparing drinks for people also have to keep them very clean and groomed.

Am I a big tough working man or a lily girly boy? Please, help me right wing macro! I am confused!
I currently have a mad callouses and a big old rip on my hand from the manliest and most working-class of all pastimes: flying trapeze

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait...so does this mean i'm not trans? My hands are usually pretty bad after work.:confused:
silly, transpeople don't exist

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I forgot that 18 year olds don't die in wars any more

also loving the quotes around offensive

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
well now 18 year old whites now can drink from the same water fountain as 18 year old blacks without being offended

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Somewhere someone walked past rows of crosses bearing the names of 18-20 year olds and thought "wow awesome, they didn't need safe spaces" rather than "never again".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I miss the days when we had genocidal superpowers conquering all of Europe, much of Asia, and parts of Africa. Why can't we have those good old days when 18-20 year olds are dying in droves trying to stop those genocidal superpowers instead of going to college or just loving about and enjoying young adulthood?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Defenestration posted:

Now grammar-free

A pro-fisting macro

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm confused, is that about masturbation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I forgot that 18 year olds don't die in wars any more

also loving the quotes around offensive

It's telling that the (white) young men that the macro author pictures are all totally cool with the suicide run that was D-day, and none of them were scared or just wanting to go home. Yup, all GI Joe's gnawing at the bit to get out there into "certain death", unlike those pussies these days. Pfft, kids today probably don't even want to die while slaughtering their enemies!

Also a right-wing rave sounds like the most boring rave ever.