Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Huge rear end anvil case found at a thrift store for $19.99 - a $10 coupon.

Using as a coffee table in the living room for now.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Bought 5 years ago from the shop where I take lessons. It returned to said shop Friday morning with a small ding in the back and its original strings. My teacher called dibs on it and used it for session work this weekend, but today when I was in for my lesson he said I could have it for his price. So a drat near new, Lake Placid Blue mexi telecaster for half the price of a new mexi. I just couldn't pass it up.

I compared it to 4 or 5 other Mexi and American Standards in the room and this thing is just amazing (American Deluxe beat it out). It is loud as hell acoustically and just rings.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Yup, Mexi Fenders are an absolute great value. Beautiful guitar.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I decided to replace my main effects box, a Zoom 506 that I bought when they were brand new--probably around 1996 or so. I've been looking for information on when they came out, but to no avail.

My main bass amp has a great EQ, a pretty good compressor, decent overdrive, and I have a standalone bass chorus box (I think it's a Boss; I'd have to look). So when I'm playing out, I'm pretty well covered. But I also love multi-effects, because I can set up several patches that do pretty much what I need them to do. And this little Zoom box with the expression pedal is way better than its price indicates. I might even take this when I'm playing out. (That's what I used my 506 for.)

This little thing is just lots of fun to play around with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bought this today, seems OK

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sorry it's -- uh -- not really a flashy purchase but my keyboard needed someplace to live

I gather there's a really good second tier attachment I can get for this to hold my Max49

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Bought this today, seems OK

looks like some kind of weird hybrid of a Stingray and one of those old Telecaster basses like the guy from Oasis used to play. what the hell is it/how does it sound?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

looks like some kind of weird hybrid of a Stingray and one of those old Telecaster basses like the guy from Oasis used to play. what the hell is it/how does it sound?

People joke about pickguards taking up the whole front of the instrument, but man that bridge takes up some real estate.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
It's some sort of Ibanez ATK. I've always wanted to mess around on one of those but haven't found any shops that had Ibanez basses that weren't soundgears.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's an Ibanez ATK200, it's an odd thing.
It has a single humbucker which is active and splits so you have 3 'positions' in one pickup, bridge, both and neck.
Then each of the 3 lower knobs are an active EQ and they control treble, mid and bass.
I bought that because I am a cheap rear end and wanted a nice variety of sounds, so far it's been great I have to say, does what I wanted it to do :)

Sockington posted:

People joke about pickguards taking up the whole front of the instrument, but man that bridge takes up some real estate.

gently caress yeah ha ha, I like the retro vibe it gives off and it does sustain well, it's pretty heavy though, which is Ok

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I bought and assembled this thing.

It's pretty cool but now I gotta figure out how to properly use a fuzzbox. It does nice sounds with my lower output single coil equipped guitars so that's alright but you need to either turn the output way down or pick super lightly if you want to use higher output pickups without clipping.

It was fun to put together too.

e: I got like a 20 second dwooooooo out of a jazzmaster before I got bored and muted it.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Shugojin posted:

It's pretty cool but now I gotta figure out how to properly use a fuzzbox. It does nice sounds with my lower output single coil equipped guitars so that's alright but you need to either turn the output way down or pick super lightly if you want to use higher output pickups without clipping.

Fuzz pedals are one of those things that really benefit from judicious use of your guitar's volume knob.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

It was fun to put together too.

e: I got like a 20 second dwooooooo out of a jazzmaster before I got bored and muted it.

Its pretty fun putting it together, and the parts are pretty decent. I did this overdrive one https://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/thunderdrive_deluxe
The thing I didn't like about the small box on mine was it has no DC jack included, and the battery has to be changed by unscrewing the back of the case. Has some good sounds though. They say you can add one, but I think it would be a pretty tight fit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I got my very first guitar way back when I knew I needed some FAT DISTORTION so I went out and bought one so I could sound like Supultura in the garage on my own.
I somehow managed to get a fuzz pedal and was just really deflated by this whole guitar thing ha ha.
I look back on that now and find it hilarious, I remember plugging it all in and I sounded more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88fbHOmvRk

It was a confusing time

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Its pretty fun putting it together, and the parts are pretty decent. I did this overdrive one https://www.modkitsdiy.com/pedal/thunderdrive_deluxe
The thing I didn't like about the small box on mine was it has no DC jack included, and the battery has to be changed by unscrewing the back of the case. Has some good sounds though. They say you can add one, but I think it would be a pretty tight fit.

Yeah the box for this felt really roomy compared to some of the stuff I've done in guitars (ill advised bridge/neck coupling and phase switch on a strat via push pulls :whatup: ). The service from amplifiedparts is pretty good too, I was short two of the #4 nuts to attach the terminal strips. I shot them an email and they just asked what the lot number was so they could check to be sure if it was a whole lot issue and then mailed me the missing parts. I mean I was impatient and went to a hardware store and bought what I needed for a couple pennies but hey.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

When I got my very first guitar way back when I knew I needed some FAT DISTORTION so I went out and bought one so I could sound like Supultura in the garage on my own.
I somehow managed to get a fuzz pedal and was just really deflated by this whole guitar thing ha ha.
I look back on that now and find it hilarious, I remember plugging it all in and I sounded more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T88fbHOmvRk

It was a confusing time

Hahahaha what

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahahaha what

It was a sad trombone day for sure, still makes me laugh though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

It was a sad trombone day for sure, still makes me laugh though

Haha, for sure. I mean to be fair for the longest time I avoided using effects and just relied on amp gain for all my distortion, but that just made me get really good at getting tone from my hands. And you can get some good sounds from just pushing your little amp drive to 11. But then you get some proper pedals and its like the guitar plays itself, so much sustain...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah for a few years the only pedal I had was a wah. Now I have a few dirt pedals, eq, and others mostly to switch tones easily.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

Haha, for sure. I mean to be fair for the longest time I avoided using effects and just relied on amp gain for all my distortion, but that just made me get really good at getting tone from my hands. And you can get some good sounds from just pushing your little amp drive to 11. But then you get some proper pedals and its like the guitar plays itself, so much sustain...

Oooh at the time I was rocking a single channel solid state practise amp, I was a real noise machine :v:

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

it's super easy and there should be plenty of room inside the enclosure next to the 3pdt switch.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

not pictured: new tone pot and orange drop capacitors

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Re postin'

Some more blues appears:

2004 Sheraton

I got rid of the Riviera (I couldn't get along with 3 P90s, and the whole thing felt a bit wrong to me) but I really want an Epiphone 335 style guitar to pimp, the Riviera was always a risk and it didn;t pan out.

The Sheraton is a safe bet, I knew going in it would be what I needed, and that is a base to get nerdy and tonedad about the situation.

Parts ordered:
Seth Lover humbuckers
Grover tuner (nickel) - I want to get away from the gold hardware and the pickups are nickel anyways
Tone pro roller bridge
Bone nut
Bigsby gently caress yeah
50s Wiring harness with pots and caps etc

So far really happy with it, plays wonderfully, well built. Feels as nice as my Les Paul.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aw yeah welcome (soon) to the Seth Lover club. Those are magical mystical pickups. I love mine to death.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

Aw yeah welcome (soon) to the Seth Lover club. Those are magical mystical pickups. I love mine to death.

That's good to hear, cos you know, you do as much research as possible, but pickups are a personal thing.
I am going full 335 on this thing so hopefully those help me get there, as much as you can obviously :v:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Re postin'

Some more blues appears:

2004 Sheraton

I got rid of the Riviera (I couldn't get along with 3 P90s, and the whole thing felt a bit wrong to me) but I really want an Epiphone 335 style guitar to pimp, the Riviera was always a risk and it didn;t pan out.

The Sheraton is a safe bet, I knew going in it would be what I needed, and that is a base to get nerdy and tonedad about the situation.

Parts ordered:
Seth Lover humbuckers
Grover tuner (nickel) - I want to get away from the gold hardware and the pickups are nickel anyways
Tone pro roller bridge
Bone nut
Bigsby gently caress yeah
50s Wiring harness with pots and caps etc

So far really happy with it, plays wonderfully, well built. Feels as nice as my Les Paul.
I'm pretty sure I've posted this same advice in this thread before, but if you haven't dealt with replacing parts in a semi-hollow before, you're going to want something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/10-1-2-jumbo-curved-clamp.html

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Leck posted:

I'm pretty sure I've posted this same advice in this thread before, but if you haven't dealt with replacing parts in a semi-hollow before, you're going to want something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/pliers/10-1-2-jumbo-curved-clamp.html

I'll be throwing the whole lot in bits to a luthier dude :v:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

I'll be throwing the whole lot in bits to a luthier dude :v:
That is definitely the best option. Way better than starting out on your own and then taking it to a professional out of frustration halfway through :smithicide:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Leck posted:

That is definitely the best option. Way better than starting out on your own and then taking it to a professional out of frustration halfway through :smithicide:

Yeah I'd gently caress it up for sure and I've never soldered a thing, I'll get the frets levelled and poo poo as well while it's there etc, not sure it needs much doing but he's a good guy that I trust.
Also :lol: at me trying to deal with those F holes

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Dr. Scientist's Heisenberg Nanodrive is finally about to ship out.

Remember this from over a year ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EJIihaLV9g

Here's a practical demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqzkv4w8yQ

Well, that prototype has been turned into a final product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFnDnHLrbk

I've been following Dr. Scientist's distributors for the last six months and one of the stores in Edmonton finally started taking presale orders. They were sold out all of last week, I decided to check again today and there were 3 available. Now I wait. :hellyeah:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What am I missing here. This thing sounds like my 1990 Fender 25 solid state amp. I'm not saying it's doodoo. I'm just wondering what am I missing in the bigger picture of things? Maybe it's the mic/camera he's using?

EDIT: I am a short attention span dumbass who couldn't be bothered to listen to the talk talk and just skipped to the playing.

OH hay some stuff I got and did lately.

Bought some gold-foil pickups to replace the radio-shack-microphone P-100s in my ES-135.

And I bought a Fender Jazz bass kit to build with my 11-year-old son who also plays bass.

It sounds pretty drat decent. I have no clue what I'll do about paint and finish. But I'll get there. Still trying to figure out what to do about the grounding. There's no hum, but a static pop that happens A LOT while I play. Which leads me to believe that the grounding is necessary if I don't want my son to die from an electric shock.

One thing that did bug me about the kit is that the tuners are not aligned with the nut exactly, so there's going to be constant tension on the nut. Has anybody ever encountered this? Is it to be expected?

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 28, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Kits are really hit and miss, I have seen an SG kit where the bridge post holes were a good inch out

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Early Christmas/Birthday/Everything gift.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 30, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

unlawfulsoup posted:

Stunning!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

I must have tried a hundred guitars, and this was just the one. The clarity on every note is simply incredible and it plays perfectly.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

unlawfulsoup posted:

I must have tried a hundred guitars, and this was just the one. The clarity on every note is simply incredible and it plays perfectly.

My mate has one similar, it's just amaaaazzzing and I lust for one daily

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't normally care for cutaways but that's beautiful. I bet it plays amazing. Enjoy it :)

wanna melt into that comfy looking chair btw

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Which model Taylor is that?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't normally care for cutaways but that's beautiful. I bet it plays amazing. Enjoy it :)

wanna melt into that comfy looking chair btw

Perfectly setup, so yeah it plays really really nicely. Usually I cramp up on acoustic doing barres, but not on this one; it feels like I am playing an electric since I can use such a soft touch.

Yeah, that is the chair I usually play on. :D

Weird BIAS posted:

Which model Taylor is that?

214ce <3 GA body cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Awww yeah.