Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Kobayashi posted:

I don't know, I thought Fiorina tying the shooter to Black Lives Matter was a pretty impressive feat of false equivalency.

I want to see this, link please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

NO IT loving DIDN'T

SHE ACTUALLY CUT AND SPLICED HER OWN loving FOOTAGE TO CORROBORATE HER DUMBASS CLAIM

THAT'S THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF "BACKING UP" HER CLAIMS :psyboom:

Why doesn't this get trotted out more than it does? It's breathtaking the level of deception Fiorina's engaged in.

What do you think obstensivly means?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

xrunner posted:

What do you think obstensivly means?

Dammit.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The worst part is that conservatives won't let go of the "transgender left-wing activist" lie. Ever. And it will be used to justify even more violence against transgender people.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Mr Interweb posted:

And that tweet perfectly encapsulates how lazy and facile right-wing arguments are. As if supposedly being on the same team as Democrats would make the acts of said person less horrific to Democrats.

It's the same moronic logic that conservatives use when arguing about slavery and how Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

Who gives a poo poo what the labels are? Actions are far more important.

edit: heh, somewhat beaten by Puggernaut. :hfive:

Great minds think alike!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Taeke posted:

As a European it's always kind of funny when people complain something Obama said or did 'makes the US look weak' considering you've got the largest, most advanced, military force by a huge margin, god knows what the gently caress your agencies do covertly and whenever something happens in the world, wether it concerns you directly or not, all eyes are on you to see what your response will be.

eta:
And I mean, it's not like you've got a track record that somehow implies you're afraid to throw all that military weight around.
We have been intervening against ISIL militarily for more than a year, and our military is so gargantuan that most people in the US haven't even noticed any strain or changes that our level of intervention would wreak on most other countries.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr Interweb posted:

Assuming this dude is in fact transgendered, is there any other basis for him/her being a "leftist activist".

Conservatives are good. Liberals are bad. A bad thing happened, therefore it must have been a liberal who did it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Well Fiorina is the worst human being in the race sooo

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Considering everything else, it's quite likely that he just put Female to mess with any gubmint officials and make their lives harder

Isn't that some sort of Sovereign Citizen tactic? Misreporting gender, misspelling their name, etc on official documents

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Logikv9 posted:

They're all the worst.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

smg77 posted:

Isn't that some sort of Sovereign Citizen tactic? Misreporting gender, misspelling their name, etc on official documents

I wouldn't put it past them. Who was the congressman who tried to grandstand by telling everybody in his district to ignore the census to SHOW THEM :argh: but then backpedaled like crazy when it meant his district would be absorbed into another and he'd be out of a job?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Logikv9 posted:

Ted Cruz exists though

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't put it past them. Who was the congressman who tried to grandstand by telling everybody in his district to ignore the census to SHOW THEM :argh: but then backpedaled like crazy when it meant his district would be absorbed into another and he'd be out of a job?

God old Michelle Bachman. She was a treasure chest of insanity.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

fade5 posted:

We have been intervening against ISIL militarily for more than a year, and our military is so gargantuan that most people in the US haven't even noticed any strain or changes that our level of intervention would wreak on most other countries.

It's a scary thought that even without nukes, if it weren't for the rest of th EU, you could pretty much obliterate my nation's military and pretty much level our country (as much as the Netherlands can be leveled any more) without it putting any strain on your economy or daily life. The idea that the US could be considered weak at all is ludicrous. The president could declare themself a MLP fan and insist on doing all public appearances in a furry costume and it would only make you guys scarier.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They're all the worst.

Yeah there is no one worst candidate. They're all horrible sacks of putrid waste in their own unique way.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

xrunner posted:

God old Michelle Bachman. She was a treasure chest of insanity.

Oh my god that was the sky captain herself? Fantastic, we need to petition to have her ethics charges dropped so she can re-emerge and accrue some new ones while creating even more headlines

Taeke posted:

It's a scary thought that even without nukes, if it weren't for the rest of th EU, you could pretty much obliterate my nation's military and pretty much level our country (as much as the Netherlands can be leveled any more) without it putting any strain on your economy or daily life. The idea that the US could be considered weak at all is ludicrous. The president could declare themself a MLP fan and insist on doing all public appearances in a furry costume and it would only make you guys scarier.

I don't think anybody here really, truly believes that America has a WEAK military. It's more accurately read as, "President Obama isn't being aggressive enough militarily." If you're going to be scared of something be scared that a bloc that's big enough to pander to in the US genuinely wants us to nuke Mecca and believes this would make the Musselmen cow-tow to our might.

You know, like all the other times in history that destroying a revered cultural artifact has caused the culture to just fold up overnight, such as when

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

We now interrupt this scheduled broadcast of the usual post-shooting GOP bullshit to bring you our annual Thankstaking Weekend Special: Remembering All That poo poo We Did to the Native Americans Oh Whoops Things Are Still Pretty Bad Today Actually

quote:

It took 50 years for the federal government to admit officially that the education it had promised to provide Indian children was so bad it qualified as abuse. “Grossly inadequate,” wrote the authors of a scathing 1928 report. Forty years later, the feds were taking themselves to task again, in a report by Sen. Edward Kennedy that called the state of Indian education a “national tragedy.”

Flash forward 46 more years. The network of schools for Native American children run by an obscure agency of the Interior Department remains arguably the worst school system in the United States, a disgrace the government has known about for eight decades and never successfully reformed. Earlier this fall, POLITICO asked President Barack Obama’s secretary of education, Arne Duncan, about what is perhaps the federal government’s longest-running problem: “It's just the epitome of broken,” he said. “Just utterly bankrupt.”

quote:

. . .even after a law was passed in 1978 aimed at giving tribes the same kind of control as the five-member school board that ran Rough Rock, the internal workings of the Bureau of Indian Affairs were still broken.

While one office (which would later be called the Bureau of Indian Education) handled educational matters, other offices within the larger Bureau of Indian Affairs had say over school construction and maintenance, personnel and technology, all of which are major parts of school operations. The tribes also have some power and, particularly in the Southwest, so do school boards, which further diffuses the authority — and the accountability over the schools’ failures — across the country.

quote:

A group of House Republicans like Cole and Democrats — many of them from states with large Indian populations — support funding the BIE schools. When Obama requested money for new schools this year, the committee gave him his $188 million request — large by comparison to his previous requests but still only a fraction of the need, according to some members of Congress. In the Senate, however, the panel that writes spending bills for the Department of the Interior is chaired by Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who has no BIE schools in her state. Murkowski recommended a small pool of funds, $23 million, for new schools this year. Murkowski's office did not respond to requests for comment.

By contrast, the 175 schools run by the Department of Defense handily persuaded Congress to fund new school construction several years ago. In 2014, a year that BIE received $55 million for new school construction, the Defense schools got $879 million, part of $4 billion that has been set aside for the schools so far.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Well thankfully the guy's still alive so eventually he's going to have to go on trial. There's going to be video of him on the stand screaming "I ain't no fuckin' transgender, sir" and talking about how Obama is a muslim usurper. This guy's crazy is so off the charts, politically relevant, and readily available that we might see some real poo poo if this guy's a dyed in the wool conservative.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

I don't think anybody here really, truly believes that America has a WEAK military. It's more accurately read as, "President Obama isn't being aggressive enough militarily." If you're going to be scared of something be scared that a bloc that's big enough to pander to in the US genuinely wants us to nuke Mecca and believes this would make the Musselmen cow-tow to our might.

Re,member when the US military would report they killed the 'third in command' every few months.
In between orange 'creditable threats' upping of the poo poo your pants citizen scale.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Re,member when the US military would report they killed the 'third in command' every few months.
In between orange 'creditable threats' upping of the poo poo your pants citizen scale.

Another confounding factor is that Obama could be lobbing nukes while flipping world leaders off and it would be too passive and simpering. Did anybody ever take that color coded thing seriously? I remember I used to use it as a "how is dubbya polling" tracker because it so reliably went to the danger zone when his numbers slipped.

The dude who created it was well-intentioned and thought it would really help, which is a shame because the whole thing was put on his shoulders and he was never heard from again.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jagchosis posted:

No guarantee an intervention would have worked out that well, Syria was p much guaranteed to be a failed state after the war heated up. Optimistically it would wind up being a perpetual low intensity civil war like Libya is if Assad was toppled, which I guess is better than the status quo. But even if an intervention worked well it would definitely have hosed up detente with Iran, which I feel is more important in the long run. By the time the "red line" became an issue Syria was already proper hosed with Salafis everywhere anyway

I don't disagree that arming rebels sooner could have blown up in our faces. My disagreement isn't that Obama is terrible for not doing this, just I would have preferred he either authorized air strikes and provided arms or other things sooner. Personally I think Libya V2 would be better than what's going on in Syria.

Concerns with Iran are also a good idea s on to not jump in.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 30, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't get why anyone would care that the Planned Parenthood shooter may be transgender. Women are just as capable of terrorism as men are, and what gender he or she was born as should be doubly irrelevant.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Well thankfully the guy's still alive so eventually he's going to have to go on trial. There's going to be video of him on the stand screaming "I ain't no fuckin' transgender, sir" and talking about how Obama is a muslim usurper. This guy's crazy is so off the charts, politically relevant, and readily available that we might see some real poo poo if this guy's a dyed in the wool conservative.

You are going to see MAYBE 5 minutes of coverage of this trial at best.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Combed Thunderclap posted:

We now interrupt this scheduled broadcast of the usual post-shooting GOP bullshit to bring you our annual Thankstaking Weekend Special: Remembering All That poo poo We Did to the Native Americans Oh Whoops Things Are Still Pretty Bad Today Actually
Among the many options native Hawaiians have for recognition by the federal government is to try to be handled under the bureau of Indian affairs. Oh HELL no.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't get why anyone would care that the Planned Parenthood shooter may be transgender. Women are just as capable of terrorism as men are, and what gender he or she was born as should be doubly irrelevant.

Because in this case, first and foremost, it is a lie meant to misdirect. If spread, this lie could result in the further demonization of transgender people. Especially since the right wing is so eager to tie this to "mental illness".

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cythereal posted:

You're a sane, logical person. People who take the wet fart seriously think that transgender => leftist => EVIL.

It's purely us vs them mentality.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

I don't disagree that arming rebels sooner could have blown up in our faces. My disagreement isn't that Obama is terrible for not doing this, just I would have preferred he either authorized air strikes and provided arms or other things sooner. Personally I think Libya V2 would be better than what's going on in Syria.

Concerns with Iran are also a good idea s on to not jump in.

Has there been evidence of us arming a group of rebels for short term gain that didn't all get distributed to people who would eventually become our enemies soon after?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Has there been evidence of us arming a group of rebels for short term gain that didn't all get distributed to people who would eventually become our enemies soon after?

Bay of Pigs?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Usurpation of Hawaii? Annexation of Texas?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 30, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Oh my god that was the sky captain herself? Fantastic, we need to petition to have her ethics charges dropped so she can re-emerge and accrue some new ones while creating even more headlines

You know, like all the other times in history that destroying a revered cultural artifact has caused the culture to just fold up overnight, such as when

The time the Romans destroyed the sacred Druid groves of Angelesy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_conquest_of_Anglesey

Or when they destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem? Not many Jewish uprisings after that.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Rexicon1 posted:

You are going to see MAYBE 5 minutes of coverage of this trial at best.

I bet Rachel Maddow alone gives him more than that. Either way, If I were a Republican candidate I would be praying that he doesn't say who he was going to vote for because that will definitely get headlines.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
The radicalization of an abortion terrorist can follow the same lines as an American citizen inspired by Zawahiri through bad Quranic quotes, cheesy websites and a few forum discussions, but you won't hear that from the right because they think becoming a Muslim is actually the first step on the way to being a terrorist now.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Obviously if he were transgender he would ipso facto be not one of them, and thus nothing about their ideology or rhetoric could have led to his actions.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

This also already exists, it's called punitive damages.

And at the level currently being applied it isn't punitive enough.

You can add rules for minimal levels of punitive damages. In a fundraising type organization I would put minimal punitive damages at 100% of funds raised from the proven slander.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I have a feeling the terrorist will get a lot of pro bono legal help and may plead out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This feels like when that guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum was labeled a Democrat even though he cited listening to Rush and O'Reilly, so he was quickly ignored and forgotten by the Right.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Trump has a very good memory. The media just has to dig back in its archives harder. Eventually they'll find that he was right all along.

And if they don't? Well that just proves that the media was lying all along. I mean it's not like they haven't lied before. I mean, the media just has it out for Trump, who's just saying what we all already know: Washington and the media elite are just hiding it from us and playing the victim game all over again. Why just last week they claimed that Trump made fun of one of their own. A crippled reporter. A. Crippled. Reporter. From The New York Times. Probably hired as one of their "affirmative action" cases. Anyway, this reporter says that they were made fun of by Trump and demanded an apology. But you know what? The media made the whole thing up. Trump said that! They made the whole thing up! And will the media apologize for that? No!

So I'm sure Trump is right when he said Muslims in New Jersey were cheering on 9/11. It's all just more lies from the media. It's all lies with them. All lies from the media and the crooked politicians in DC. Not like Trump. He's not afraid to tell the truth.

TL;DR: Trump is doing better at the game than Nixon or Fiorina ever dreamed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like when that guy who shot up the Holocaust Museum was labeled a Democrat even though he cited listening to Rush and O'Reilly, so he was quickly ignored and forgotten by the Right.

This guy is going to be quickly ignored and forgotten by the Right no matter what, though.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I've pretty much just come to terms with the fact that Trump is the second coming of Mussolini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Geokinesis posted:

This whole PP shooting thing is crazy, like if someone over here shot stabbed up a sexual health clinic & gynaecology ward.

Do you have separate family planning places in hospitals too or is it just PP who take care of it?

I know this was pages ago but I don't think it got addressed fully. In the US basic family planning services generally fall somewhere between general practice and gynecology so you can get STD testing, pregnancy tests, and birth control from a specialist in either field, and you can theoretically get a chemical abortion from anyone capable of issuing the prescription. A surgical abortion takes special training and instruments so you'd have to find a doctor who had them, most likely a OB/GYN whose practice could be in a hospital or free-standing clinic. This person could easily be your own OB/GYN or one in the network and operating out of the same hospital, clinic, or medical complex as the rest of your providers. Where Planned Parenthood fits in is that it's basically just a public health clinic that specializes in family planning services alone, and a little bit of women's health thrown in. They're generally more convenient than going to a hospital or doctors' office for basic care, which is why even insured people will hit them up, and they can offer subsidies for people who can't otherwise afford their services. They are not the only organization who does that; there are even government-funded public health clinics with the same specialization in some places. PP is just the biggest organization that has the nerve to provide birth control and abortions to young people and poors who need to be punished for their fornication unlike the good girls who have their abortions in the discrete confines of private gynecologists' offices.

Also the war on abortion, birth control, and women's reproductive rights in general is and was a direct response to the success of women's liberation. Agency over their own sex lives gave women agency over other parts, and the Christian right knows it.

• Locked thread