Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, it does take some ball to come back here :v:

Hope you'll stay and become an accepted part of this dysfunctional family again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

NEAI Crew 4 Life

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
All I really care about is whether you have a Klein with a sweet paint job.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I just put a new engine mount in my '08 Focus. It idles like a completely different vehicle. Apparently the mount has been bad sicne I bought the car 5 years ago, and I just never thought to do anything about it until now. What a crazy difference.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

nm posted:

All I really care about is whether you have a Klein with a sweet paint job.

When the weather and my lungs clear up abit (cancers back) ill post a pick in lycra showing off both ball and klein

No "kleiner balls" jokes pls

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

fjelltorsk posted:

When the weather and my lungs clear up abit (cancers back) ill post a pick in lycra showing off both ball and klein

:catstare: I'm hard. You can jump higher, right? RIGHT?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Glad to see you back on the forums Fjelltorsk, although for some of us you never left :v:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

NEAI Crew 4 Life

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

A guy in the mirrorless thread took a sweet pic of the galactic center using a Fuji and a Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual focus lens.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935&userid=35362&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post448922506

God that's gorgeous

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

angryhampster posted:

I just put a new engine mount in my '08 Focus. It idles like a completely different vehicle. Apparently the mount has been bad sicne I bought the car 5 years ago, and I just never thought to do anything about it until now. What a crazy difference.

Be prepared to do it again in 5 years. And again in 10 years. And again in...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

God I love my parents. My mom gets a free turkey from work so we always do a "Thanksgiving 2" on the following Sunday. I'm so loopy right now from the meds so my pops just dropped off an entire meal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or if they make one get a urethane mount and never worry again

Gpu update: evga is having to rebuild my factory bios from scratch, I guess that means I'm the first chump to gently caress up this particular way? Lucky me

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 29, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Enourmo posted:

Be prepared for good vibrations. There's a reason why Ford/Mazda used such soft mounts.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Something followed me home last night. I really need to turn off my Craigslist notifier.

I'll start a thread for it soon, but in the meantime this picture pretty much sums it up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fjelltorsk posted:

No, that's fine. . . .

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goober Peas posted:

Be prepared for good vibrations. There's a reason why Ford/Mazda used such soft mounts.

Personally I quite like it. But yeah 3 out of 4 mounts on my car were shot in 2010 when I replaced them, i don't consider 7 years (or probably less) an acceptable lifespan for the thing that holds the loving engine in place.

Besides I've got a 2.5 inch downpipe into a 3 inch catback, the cabin's not exactly refined regardless. :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I put a nearly solid pitch stop on my car because it was basically free. Didn't last long. Although if you only replace one of all the drivetrain mounts and that one is connected directly to the firewall it makes it a lot worse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Enourmo posted:

Are we still talking about his ball? :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

Are we still talking about his ball? :v:

we CAN be :heysexy:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

Still more than they deserve.

For someone that seems to hate AI and everyone in it you sure do post here a lot.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's because i'm not "true AI".

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ozmiander posted:

It's because i'm not "true AI".

So why do you keep posting here, if you hate the posters and obviously think you're far better than most? :psyduck:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

blk posted:

Gamechat: If you guys like GTA style games you should check out the Saboteur and Sleeping Dogs - both went under the radar and are my favorites of that genre.

I'll have to check Saboteur out because I really liked Sleeping Dogs.

kimbo305 posted:

And also Red Faction Guerilla.

I couldn't get into that game at all. I think I have like 3 hours into it and absolutely hated it. This is coming from someone who played the first 2 (and beat them).

The Locator posted:

Phoenix area (and Tucson really) goons, this ad was jut placed on my local SCCA/Autocross forums, and seems like a pretty good deal. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get you the direct contact information and my name to use as a referral to this guy.

Ad:

drat. This sounds like the bendpak that Holdbrooks has. I wish I had a place for it!

BoostCreep posted:

Something followed me home last night. I really need to turn off my Craigslist notifier.

I'll start a thread for it soon, but in the meantime this picture pretty much sums it up.

Why???
Don't you have a sweet project already?
(I'm guilty of doing poo poo like this all the time haha)

GTX 960 and a 500GB Samsung EVO on it's way. I hope the Cyber Monday deals aren't too much better than black Friday.
This will be the first upgrade to this PC built in 2011. Pretty drat happy with it!

Now to choose whether to install Win10 or 8. Is there a program that will tell me if my programs will still work? I think my old solidworks won't, which is a real bummer...

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just install Windows 10. You'll probably do it within a year anyway if you install 8.1 now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What version of solidworks is it? Their site only lists 2015 and up as "optimized" for windows 10, but I'm running 2014 just fine on my windows 10 desktop, I wouldn't be surprised if older versions work with it too.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
SW 2013. I guess I'll try 10.

I have it on my laptop and was meh about it, but after looking at some tips and tricks for changing stuff I'll give it a shot.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

mafoose posted:

Why???
Don't you have a sweet project already?
(I'm guilty of doing poo poo like this all the time haha)

My other project is going to require a ton of money and time to get road worthy. I'm getting tired of just working on a car and not driving it, so I'm taking the parts from that build that I can't use at the moment and putting them towards something stupid and fun that will require a lot less cash and fabrication.

The Bricklin is still a priority, I just want something that will be fun to build and tear up for a bit. Plus the new car was $500 and I couldn't pass it up.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

So why do you keep posting here, if you hate the posters and obviously think you're far better than most? :psyduck:

I don't hate all/most of them?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Welcome back Fjell :3:

Enourmo posted:

Gpu update: evga is having to rebuild my factory bios from scratch, I guess that means I'm the first chump to gently caress up this particular way? Lucky me

Yay they're helping! I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd elected to just tell you to suck it. I'm pretty sure BIOS fuckery is explicitly not covered by warranty.

mafoose posted:

GTX 960 and a 500GB Samsung EVO on it's way. I hope the Cyber Monday deals aren't too much better than black Friday.
This will be the first upgrade to this PC built in 2011. Pretty drat happy with it!

Now to choose whether to install Win10 or 8. Is there a program that will tell me if my programs will still work? I think my old solidworks won't, which is a real bummer...

Win10 is a far better choice than 8 - I hope you got a good deal on that 960 as the 970 is something like 40% faster for 15-20% more money usually :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Is there an AI strava group? We seem to have quite a few cyclists.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

literally a fish posted:

Yay they're helping! I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd elected to just tell you to suck it. I'm pretty sure BIOS fuckery is explicitly not covered by warranty.

Yeah the guy has said that if restoring the BIOS doesn't fix it that warranty will probably be voided due to third party yadda yadda, but so far things seem hopeful.

I think basically saying "yeah i realize this is entirely my own fault please help me un-gently caress it" helped.

literally a fish posted:

Win10 is a far better choice than 8 - I hope you got a good deal on that 960 as the 970 is something like 40% faster for 15-20% more money usually :v:

Depends which model, I got a 960 SC for $150 vs about $275 for the cheapest 970 I could find.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mafoose posted:

I bit the bullet on an entire new build, i7-6700K, GTX 980, Samsun EVO 500GB, 16mb RAM. The video card and SSD arrived yesterday (Amazon Prime) most of the rest arrives Tuesday the 1st when I'll be at work, so hopefully nobody absconds with it from my doorsteap, except for the CPU, which won't get here until Thursday... Guess I know what I'll be doing on Friday, which I have off!

Currently planning to stay with Win 7 Pro, but I might change my mind and get the free Win 10 update finally, who knows.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Is there an AI strava group? We seem to have quite a few cyclists.

There's a wider goon group but not one specific for AI.

Went for 72km MTB ride Sunday. I forgot how much it hammers the gently caress out of you - the 100km ride I have planned for next week is probably going to leave my rear end more hammered than a gangbang..... all that road biking has gotten me soft.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

fjelltorsk posted:

Right, i did and it was a dick move. The reason i did tell TT that was to prove my norwegianess, so i found a fitting sentance that was not easily google translatable and posted it. i was not in a great place mentally and i apologize to Tusen takk if i hurt his feelings.

I did not see any question from ioc, probably because i checked out from AI after the third PM on facebook. if someone really wanted to get a hold of me it seems my Email is pretty public knowledge judging from the photo of what i can only imagine was feces on a piece of cardboad. i dont care who it was, but you need help dude, not mentally but atleast from some sort of rear end doctor.

then to the meat of the situation, i have been planning an effortpost to come clean and apologize, this it not that post, but i figured id give you guys the TL:DR version.

First off, im sorry i just bolted with my tail between my legs, and secondly, Rhyno, im sorry you are going trough some poo poo with cancer in the family, its a nasty beast and i hope you get of as lightly as possible.

and then for the rest of you..

Yes, i did post GISed pictures of poo poo and claiming it was something else, and for this i am sorry, its a mix of me being a lazy goon, me having some weird issues about privacy online and mostly me being a retard. i never tried to fool anyone, or hurt their feelings but i probably did, and again i am sorry,. The last year has been very hard for me going trough massive amounts of chemo and radiation treatments, my mental state is three rungs below dr 14s and i have made alot of bad decisions. I wish i had a better explanation for you goons but this is it.

thanks for the great dudes in #Neai for being awsome towards me

I missed 90% of this, minus the fallout. But based on that, I'm looking forward to your explanation.
Welcome back. I hope your story pans out this time. We're not here to judge (unless you gently caress up again).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a wider goon group but not one specific for AI.

Went for 72km MTB ride Sunday. I forgot how much it hammers the gently caress out of you - the 100km ride I have planned for next week is probably going to leave my rear end more hammered than a gangbang..... all that road biking has gotten me soft.
Link? Or which biking thread is there a link in?
nm. Found it.
Also: looks at leaderboard gently caress, now I feel totally inadequate.

The Locator posted:

I bit the bullet on an entire new build, i7-6700K, GTX 980, Samsun EVO 500GB, 16mb RAM. The video card and SSD arrived yesterday (Amazon Prime) most of the rest arrives Tuesday the 1st when I'll be at work, so hopefully nobody absconds with it from my doorsteap, except for the CPU, which won't get here until Thursday... Guess I know what I'll be doing on Friday, which I have off!

Currently planning to stay with Win 7 Pro, but I might change my mind and get the free Win 10 update finally, who knows.
If nothing else, install 7, do the 10 upgrade, and then drop back to 7. At least then the hardware ID is registered and you can go back to 10 for free.
Assuming you have a retail copy of 7, that is.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 30, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Link? Or which biking thread is there a link in?

https://www.strava.com/clubs/sa-goons

TBH I like the idea of a AI group anyway. I can kudos the gently caress out of everyone in AI who cycles :D - and as anyone knows who has me on Strava kudos me, I kudos the gently caress outta you

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ilkhan posted:

If nothing else, install 7, do the 10 upgrade, and then drop back to 7. At least then the hardware ID is registered and you can go back to 10 for free.
Assuming you have a retail copy of 7, that is.

Good idea. Yes, I have full version of 7, 64 bit professional, even have the box with disk and key sitting right here waiting for the new machine. Once I re-install it to he new build, I'm sure I'll get the annoying pop-up to upgrade to Windows 10 again, and then I can accept instead of removing it from the update and registry. As you said, if I really dislike it I can roll back to 7.

My current plan is to clean install the OS to the EVO SSD on the new machine, and then once it's done with all the upgrades and stuff, add the hard drives from my existing machine, move everything from the current 1TB boot drive (other than the OS folder, so about 300-350mb of stuff) to one of the other drives, and then format the drive clean.

Is there a reason to limit the total number of separate drives in the system these days? My current system has 4 drives - 1TB boot drive, 1.5TB storage drive, a 120GB SSD that I used for games (but was too lazy to ever set up as a boot drive) and a 4TB storage drive. I figured to move all of the storage drives, but not the 120gb SSD to the new system as generic storage. Some day I should get a set of identical drives and set up a RAID to protect all my terribly unimportant poo poo from a drive loss (and to back up the SSD to).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Put the OS on the SSD (or buy a bigger one) - there's a night and day difference when you boot off the SSD.

Granted my previous install had been in continuous operation since 2009 when Windows 7 released and I had switched board/processor in 2011 without reinstalling but when I did a clean install of 10 on a SSD my computer went from taking ~5 minutes after boot to become usable to under a minute from pushing the power button.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geoj posted:

Put the OS on the SSD (or buy a bigger one) - there's a night and day difference when you boot off the SSD.

Granted my previous install had been in continuous operation since 2009 when Windows 7 released and I had switched board/processor in 2011 without reinstalling but when I did a clean install of 10 on a SSD my computer went from taking ~5 minutes after boot to become usable to under a minute from pushing the power button.

That is the first step, I have a 500GB EVO SSD in the new build for the boot drive, the other drives won't be added until after the OS is through with all the upgrades and then upgraded to WIN10 or however it's going to go. I may throw the other SSD in after just as a second fast drive for games if I get too much on the 500GB main drive, but all of the current stuff that is on the C: drive will be shifted off of C: to one of the HDD's (it's all long-term storage stuff, video, photo's/build logs, etc.).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

literally a fish posted:

Well then show me a 970 for $210 and I'll return my 4GB 960 I got for $175 with a "free" game.

The Locator posted:

Goddamn I'm pretty sure your computer is worth more than most of my cars!
I'm running the same win7 installation since 2011 with absolutely minimum upkeep. This was seriously the most stable build I've ever had. This is why I'm apprehensive about 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/sa-goons

TBH I like the idea of a AI group anyway. I can kudos the gently caress out of everyone in AI who cycles :D - and as anyone knows who has me on Strava kudos me, I kudos the gently caress outta you
True, sometimes to an annoyingly large degree. :)

The Locator posted:

Good idea. Yes, I have full version of 7, 64 bit professional, even have the box with disk and key sitting right here waiting for the new machine. Once I re-install it to he new build, I'm sure I'll get the annoying pop-up to upgrade to Windows 10 again, and then I can accept instead of removing it from the update and registry. As you said, if I really dislike it I can roll back to 7.

My current plan is to clean install the OS to the EVO SSD on the new machine, and then once it's done with all the upgrades and stuff, add the hard drives from my existing machine, move everything from the current 1TB boot drive (other than the OS folder, so about 300-350mb of stuff) to one of the other drives, and then format the drive clean.

Is there a reason to limit the total number of separate drives in the system these days? My current system has 4 drives - 1TB boot drive, 1.5TB storage drive, a 120GB SSD that I used for games (but was too lazy to ever set up as a boot drive) and a 4TB storage drive. I figured to move all of the storage drives, but not the 120gb SSD to the new system as generic storage. Some day I should get a set of identical drives and set up a RAID to protect all my terribly unimportant poo poo from a drive loss (and to back up the SSD to).
OS on the SSD. Games on the SSD or 120 SSD. Media and/or rarely played games on the big drives.

The Locator posted:

That is the first step, I have a 500GB EVO SSD in the new build for the boot drive, the other drives won't be added until after the OS is through with all the upgrades and then upgraded to WIN10 or however it's going to go. I may throw the other SSD in after just as a second fast drive for games if I get too much on the 500GB main drive, but all of the current stuff that is on the C: drive will be shifted off of C: to one of the HDD's (it's all long-term storage stuff, video, photo's/build logs, etc.).
My desktop has a 250GB 850Pro as the boot drive. With win10 it takes like 10 seconds to boot from cold. Its insane.
i5-4670k, 16GB ram, 850Pro/250, random 1TB data drive, GTX970. Its nice, but its a year old and I barely touch it. :/ Daily is all on the laptop (surface book now) and I only turn it on for gaming, which I barely do anymore.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread