Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

use victini in 4th gen ou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gen V OU was great. Victini was totally broken before it got banned, though.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Which Gen OU was it where you could sweep teams with a boosted Flame Charge Heatran

that one was the best one imo

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
After playing on Smogon Doubles for a while, I realized I wasn't having all too much fun and realized I was infinitely more comfortable with the singles format. So I went back to NU and UU and am in my element once again. Call me crazy but I really like switching, entry hazards and having more viable mons to choose from.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

6v6 doubles is clown city

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

W-wait. I thought the appeal of doubles was there are more viable 'mons to choose from, and you get to actually use all those fancy moves that only function in doubles. Or is Smogon doubles a different beast? I've only done doubles against folks here, and the occasional Nintendo tourney.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

6v6 doubles is clown city

is smogon doubles actually 6v6? that's silly

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the appeal of doubles is that it's about big plays and prediction instead of being a stally slog

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, even though Chatot calls Explorers Wigglytuff a lady, Armaldo refers to him as a guy. Guess the translation teams didn't talk to each other.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Silver Falcon posted:

W-wait. I thought the appeal of doubles was there are more viable 'mons to choose from, and you get to actually use all those fancy moves that only function in doubles. Or is Smogon doubles a different beast? I've only done doubles against folks here, and the occasional Nintendo tourney.

From my understanding of Smogon Doubles, there are technically more moves and Pokemon you can use. It's just that my process of teambuilding has me making the same kinds of mons. A lot of which are among the best.

Also upon answering this, I now realize that this is a personal problem as opposed to the problem of the tier. Pretty sure this is a thing that occurs throughout most tiers. I just gotta be more creative I guess.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Look at the top 4 teams of any VGC tournament and you will see a lot of repetition. High end play in doubles is even more centralized than singles.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I think people just see some mons which aren't popular in singles being used and assume it means there's a wide variety instead of just different stuff. And VGC is even worse.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i want to be the master of pokémon

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The best thing about starting as Piplup is now that I'm Empoleon, I never have to worry about poison traps or poison moves on my main character ever again.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

The best thing about starting as Piplup is now that I'm Empoleon, I never have to worry about poison traps or poison moves on my main character ever again.

The worst part about my partner being Empoleon is he gets owned when my torterra breaks out the earthquake :( I'm sorry a full-room clear that works even when confused is just too good, even if I have to use only levitate/flying type partners

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I just got to the credits of SPMD and I feel like Chikorita was an actual viable starter choice for once :unsmith: There were plenty of dungeons where I just did not give a gently caress about other grass Pokemon (trivialized with Type Bulldozer emeras), their obnoxious powder moves (ignored due to grass type getting buffed in gen 6), or bug/flying Pokemon (trivialized with Ancient Power). Chikorita's moveset sucks but I went through the entire game with Ancient Power, Tackle (lol), Razor Leaf, and Synthesis, and besides being a little boring it basically got me through with only a handful of party wipes. Part of that could have been the fact that most of the partner Pokemon were actually competent for once, instead of me+partner carrying the rest of the party like I was used to from the previous games. I agree with a poster's statement from a bit ago about how playing previous games really helps this game shine, especially when the credits started rolling and obviously I expected the initial "I don't want to go back to the human world I want to stay here" but my Riolu buddy being the one to leave me sitting alone on the hill instead was a great gut-punch.

Three things I was less happy about were 1) Nuzleaf ending up evil, I was suspicious of his long "business trips" but I was ready to give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt about having a dark-type major character not be a jerk for once; 2) the pacing of the game, the school intro-torial was cute but took way too long and even taking multiple missions per day I was only able to get up to Bronze rank in the Expedition Society before the endgame plot hit; and 3) minor nitpick but apart from a couple of the earlier dungeons where Pokemon were protecting their territory there was no story reason for us to be fighting any of the enemy Pokemon, the game didn't even bother with a half-assed "the natural disasters are making them crazy!" excuse this time around like it did in previous installments. Oh well. Overall a solid game, good installment in the series, probably not going to prompt as much replay from me as Red Rescue Team did back in the day but at least there's still some postgame content for me to enjoy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

I was ready to give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt about having a dark-type major character not be a jerk for once

That already happened in Gates to Infinity though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rose Spirit posted:

I was ready to give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt

Mystery Dungeon is made by Spike Chunsoft

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Twelve by Pies posted:

That already happened in Gates to Infinity though.

Oh right Umbreon (presumably? I never finished Gates oops). Dark-type is still the go-to for antagonists, along with ghost and poison types.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rose Spirit posted:

Oh right Umbreon (presumably? I never finished Gates oops). Dark-type is still the go-to for antagonists, along with ghost and poison types.

Don't diss my buddy Hydreigon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strange Quark posted:

Don't diss my buddy Hydreigon.

I loved that twist in Gates to Infinity, not gonna lie.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I don't think umbreon counts because not only is it an eeveelution, it evolves though friendship. That's two points in it's favor towards being a nice guy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

I loved that twist in Gates to Infinity, not gonna lie.

I enjoyed the story in Gates overall more than in PSMD because of all the ways the game plays with your expectations. The player character isn't actually special, what a trip.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
i like birds

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-298884794

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rose Spirit posted:

Hydreigon. You keep having these visions of Munna getting chased by Hydreigon, but when you actually meet them oops! Munna is actually an evil rear end in a top hat and Hydreigon is actually this cute, bubbly, super friendly gal who just wants to help save the world.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

As an AP Chem student, I appreciate the nickname on your Excadrill.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Hydreigon. You keep having these visions of Munna getting chased by Hydreigon, but when you actually meet them oops! Munna is actually an evil rear end in a top hat and Hydreigon is actually this cute, bubbly, super friendly gal who just wants to help save the world.

So that's why Munna talks about having done bad things in the past (I never played Gates).

Relatedly, the Ninetails Secret Base mission has some neat things in it. Mostly because of the Absol that you also get from it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Silver Falcon posted:

That's not even a real Hydreigon!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Defiant is the single best ability in the game. Bisharp is a motherfucker and I'm surprised I don't see him as often as I do. Maybe it's because I keep getting pushed back down the ladder.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-298912395

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

As an AP Chem student, I appreciate the nickname on your Excadrill.

dat excadril :kimchi:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
E: double post

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I haven't seen a post about this, but a bunch of wonder mail codes got released. Get a shitload of TMs, items, and 3 bonus dungeons. I just can't wait until I get far enough to unlock the Trash Dungeon. :allears:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

How far do you have to be to unlock the Trash Dungeon, because I'm already done with the story, and I'm Diamond Rank, and it says I need to get farther still.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Even if you can access the dungeon, the game will tell you that you can't until you go to the Water Continent's dungeon list and they'll all open up. Also, it's the Thrash Dungeon, not the Trash Dungeon, sadly.

Thrash Dungeon is easiest, only 5 floors. Rolling Pass is standard, and it has 20. Maze Meadow restricts your level and items, and you can't be rescued from it, and it's also 20 floors.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I picked up two Hoopas at Mcdonalds today, and I gotta say that design wise Hoopa unbound might be one of my favorite pokemon.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
For those of you outside of the US and those who don't want to go to McDonalds' for a Hoopa you can create a wireless access point named "McDonalds Free WiFi" (case sensitive) with no security type to get it at home. You might also need to delete all prior connections on you 3DS to have this new one set as Connection 1. Should work as long as you have a North American 3DS and game. Haven't tried it myself but from what I've seen it looks like it works.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Does Feint get +2 priority now? Because if so how is that not standard.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Well it has a base power of 30, which is pretty low.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sucker Punch is only +1, so Mega Pinsir would have no problems preempting Bisharp's Sucker Punch at +1.

(But it is +2 and it can definitely be pretty cool for M-Pinsir.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was super excited for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire as the originals were my very first Pokemon games and I've only just today started playing it despite owning it since release. I even started up a save and downloaded the Shiny Beldum Mystery Gift since Metagross is my favorite Pokemon and basically having it as a starter is the coolest drat thing.

This game is extremely good and I love it a lot. A lot of is probably that it is also my first Gen 6 Pokemon game but goddamn this game is gonna kill me.

• Locked thread