Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Heck yeah da Vinci code.

Those movies are so stupid but I enjoy the hell out of them. Even angels and demons poo poo was sooo bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Junkie Disease posted:

How did Helix get a second season? That shows messier than anime.

God, that's what's beautiful about it. It's the 'Resident Evil' of television. Once we got to the secret underground laboratory underneath the abandoned underground facility underneath the remote underground facility in the Arctic, I was hooked. Once we got to the cabal of 500 immortal people who secretly control the world, and the perpetually 17-year-old assassin called 'The Scythe', I was in love.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Watched Bound to Vengence last night. It wasn't as good as some of the other horror recommendations lately, but it had its moments. I really am digging this whole new genre of female empowerment horror, or whatever it's being called.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Chichevache posted:

New Broadchurch?:stare: I don't know how you do a second season of that.

It's a completely new case, apparently, but the same two detectives.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Namirsolo posted:

It's a completely new case, apparently, but the same two detectives.

I figured it would be. I just cant even begin to imagine the fallout from season 1. I can't wait to see how the writers handle it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was listening to this http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeys...tm_content=2053 interview with Trevor Noah earlier and they name-dropped a documentary up on netflix instant and about him and the south african comedy scene, You Laugh But It's True, which I immediately jumped on and was enamored by. They've also got his stand up tour up, African American which has a ton of the material from the "Daywalker" set which was in the documentary. Really fun, funny, and fascinating. Trevor Noah's a hell of a mind for someone so young.

And also, The Hustler is back. Go remind yourself how sexy Paul Newman was back then, and how dark the relationship stuff got. (And then go watch Long Hot Summer and Hud to round him out as a real sonofabitch before the next time you buy some Newman's Own dressing and remember how amazing a guy and how amazing of a relationship he had with his wife, who he met on the set of Long Hot Summer).

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 28, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Also I guess Escape from L.A. will be popping up. I'm getting weird promotional notices when I log in, feels like Netflix is on the defensive about their catalog:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
They ought to be. It's a chore to find something decent I haven't seen. Are you in the mood for garbage poo poo movies no ones heard of or have a 2% rating on RT? Then Netflix streaming is for you!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ammanas posted:

It's a chore to find something decent I haven't seen.

This isn't a problem I have, but have you considered using https://www.instantwatcher.com? A lot of people prefer it to Netflix's interface.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Chichevache posted:

I figured it would be. I just cant even begin to imagine the fallout from season 1. I can't wait to see how the writers handle it.

They handle it pretty well, they completely poo poo all over the relatively tidy ending of the first season by bringing a nuanced portrayal of the justice system at work. It is not a hopeful show.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Ammanas posted:

They ought to be. It's a chore to find something decent I haven't seen. Are you in the mood for garbage poo poo movies no ones heard of or have a 2% rating on RT? Then Netflix streaming is for you!

I feel the same way about their movie selection, but at least they have a pretty big selection of tv shows that I still want to watch like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Comedy Bang Bang! and assorted British shows like Call the Midwife and Broadchurch. I don't know what I'll do once I've seen all of those though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my God. Human Centipede 3 is basically "Tommy Wiseau presents: Human Centipede 3". It may be the most pointlessly, stupidly vile film I have ever seen. If you thought 2 was bad, holy poo poo you ain't seen nothing yet.

But I mean, you should watch it because it's absolutely bonkers how terrible it is. Remember how good Dieter Lazer was in the first one? In the third one, he is as absolutely terrible as he was good in the first one. It is just baffling how this got made.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Oh my God. Human Centipede 3 is basically "Tommy Wiseau presents: Human Centipede 3". It may be the most pointlessly, stupidly vile film I have ever seen. If you thought 2 was bad, holy poo poo you ain't seen nothing yet.

But I mean, you should watch it because it's absolutely bonkers how terrible it is. Remember how good Dieter Lazer was in the first one? In the third one, he is as absolutely terrible as he was good in the first one. It is just baffling how this got made.
I actually really enjoyed the first and second ones, but yeah, 3 was godawful on every level and I say that as a huge fan of so-bad-it's-good movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Smithsonian Blondie documentary is a fun watch.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ammanas posted:

I really don't understand this viewpoint. Sure, Netflix is filled with a catalogue of absolutely awful poo poo, but there is so much on there that I'm sure you haven't seen. Just because they may be removing a bunch of mainstream movies and shows does not mean that their selection is bad.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ammanas posted:

That's what this thread and the My List feature is for, right?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like their selection of indie stuff. I have found a swathe of good movies I wouldn't have heard of without Netflix. Their selection of mainstream stuff is getting pretty abysmal now.

I figure there is maybe once a month I want to watch some specific mainstream movie that won't ever be on netflix though. In which case I don't mind paying 2.99 to rent it on Amazon or whatever.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
How did I not know Boogie Nights was up? That's one hell of a movie.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Ex Machina (Alex Garland's first movie as director) popped up on Amazon Prime so I gave it a watch. It's good, and it was a nice palate cleanser after watching Jurrasic World the other day, but the whole movie feels like it's missing something. It feels kind of clinical in its cinematic approach, but that might have been intentional. It's a solid indie movie though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I agree with that. I liked it, but mostly I liked Oscar Isaac in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hihifellow posted:

Ex Machina (Alex Garland's first movie as director) popped up on Amazon Prime so I gave it a watch. It's good, and it was a nice palate cleanser after watching Jurrasic World the other day, but the whole movie feels like it's missing something. It feels kind of clinical in its cinematic approach, but that might have been intentional. It's a solid indie movie though.

you can kinda tell Alex Garland's a screenwriter-turned-director, but he manages himself okay.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

I honestly can't bring myself to hate the movie. There was no reason for it to get made, but part of me is glad it did. It's complete trash, and not in the campy fun way, but it's still worth a watch if you're interested in seeing just how low the bottom of the barrel can go.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I honestly can't bring myself to hate the movie. There was no reason for it to get made, but part of me is glad it did. It's complete trash, and not in the campy fun way, but it's still worth a watch if you're interested in seeing just how low the bottom of the barrel can go.

I watched it with headphones and it's truly one of the most unpleasant movie watching experiences I've ever had.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

hihifellow posted:

I really liked Ex Machina but I think it was designed specifically for people like me in mind I kept trying to figure out what the twist was going to be, who was going to turn out to be the other AI. Then the twist was... No twist. I over analyzed

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

That's what this thread and the My List feature is for, right?

So my choices of movies are huge hits from 1997 (how has someone who likes movies not seen boogie nights yet?) Or awful new-wave 'feminist' revenge horror? Exciting

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hihifellow posted:

I would go so far as to say it's the best film I've seen all year, and the best sci-fi film I've seen in many years. Probably since Moon

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Ammanas posted:

So my choices of movies are huge hits from 1997 (how has someone who likes movies not seen boogie nights yet?) Or awful new-wave 'feminist' revenge horror? Exciting

Canceling your service is always an option.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Ammanas posted:

If you can handle subtitles I'd check out Carlos. It's a three part miniseries and it is excellent.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Or awful new-wave 'feminist' revenge horror? Exciting

If you haven't seen it...how do you know it's awful?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you haven't seen it...how do you know it's awful?
because men's rights

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

hihifellow posted:

It's that Garland just isn't a strong director yet. I always got that vibe also from Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche New York, a fine enough movie but all they did was responsibly shoot a good script without bringing much additional to it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

The Time Dissolver posted:

It's that Garland just isn't a strong director yet. I always got that vibe also from Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche New York, a fine enough movie but all they did was responsibly shoot a good script without bringing much additional to it.

Pretty much. It's a really cerebral movie, and Garland remains my favorite script writer, just the direction and cinematography were very... adequate. I think it would have worked about as well if it was book instead. Had someone like Kubrik shot the movie instead I'd be calling it MOTY.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I feel extremely comfortable recommending Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, which went up over the weekend. Got positive notices, and it would be more or less impossible to make a boring documentary on the studio that brought us Masters of the Universe, Breakin', and Superman IV, along with the last 10 years of Charles Bronson's career.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Namirsolo posted:

I feel the same way about their movie selection, but at least they have a pretty big selection of tv shows that I still want to watch like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Comedy Bang Bang! and assorted British shows like Call the Midwife and Broadchurch. I don't know what I'll do once I've seen all of those though.

I think I only watch a total of maybe 6 movies a year on Netflix, and most of those are indie movies or horror movies. I stick around for the TV shows, and the fact my kids are so use to having Netflix it would break their minds not to have it.

I also have Amazon Prime and Hulu with Showtime added. So between them all the movies are decent, but each service by itself not so much.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I feel extremely comfortable recommending Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, which went up over the weekend. Got positive notices, and it would be more or less impossible to make a boring documentary on the studio that brought us Masters of the Universe, Breakin', and Superman IV, along with the last 10 years of Charles Bronson's career.

I have watched it, and I'll second that recommendation.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Watched Angel Heart after enjoying the book it was based off of. Really liked it. It was also the first movie I've seen Mickey Rourke in where he wasn't all make-up'd up (Sin City) or botoxed to hell (Iron Man 2, Expendables). I really liked his performance.

Check it out if you like detective stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rough Lobster posted:

Watched Angel Heart after enjoying the book it was based off of. Really liked it. It was also the first movie I've seen Mickey Rourke in where he wasn't all make-up'd up (Sin City) or botoxed to hell (Iron Man 2, Expendables). I really liked his performance.

Check it out if you like detective stuff.
You should check out some of his other early stuff. He used to look pretty darned good. Part of why The Wrestler was such a good flick, half the time it was almost about Mickey Rourke's personal life, not the character he was protraying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Another essential Mickey Rourke classic is Barfly though I don't know if it's streaming anywhere right now.

e: it's on Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus (or whatever you call "I pay for Hulu")

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I watched My Bloody Valentine last night and plan on watching Silent Night Deadly Night tonight. To continue the themed slashers, I think Jack Frost next, but what then??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

fliptophead posted:

I watched My Bloody Valentine last night and plan on watching Silent Night Deadly Night tonight. To continue the themed slashers, I think Jack Frost next, but what then??

I'm not sure if Rare Exports is still on streaming, but if it is, that.