Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the knick is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

at the date posted:

It's amazing

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DiggityDoink posted:

also the whole thing about where the goes back in time to become the original alien. or is that bruce?

its been a few years since i watched it so im totally drawing a blank on race names and even character names

no that was o'hare as sinclair going back to become the minbari messiah. bruce boxleitner just came back from the dead.

although to be fair that part of the story didn't play out until late third season, and reportedly he was doing a bit better by then. also he wasn't starring in a television series by then as well (which is grueling work for anyone, especially on the old american standard of 22+ episodes per year) so a guest spot on a couple of episodes was probably easier for him to manage.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

han solo dies in star wars VII

haha priceless

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what a cheap way to build drama, oh wait star wars 4 did it too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rude.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

please, do not compromise the sanctity of my star wars media blackout

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched all of Dark Matter which is the other 2015 SyFy channel original and it's not exactly a masterpiece of writing but it's definitely one of the least lovely ones in a while. I somehow managed to stomach all of Ascendance which was a lot worse, especially how there was an ~~ epic plot twist ~~ every single episode

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you mean ascension? helped that there were only 3 episodes

having finished jessica jones it's really good and everyone should watch it, even if (like daredevil) it can't help but let a little comic book bleed in at the end

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

you mean ascension? helped that there were only 3 episodes

having finished jessica jones it's really good and everyone should watch it, even if (like daredevil) it can't help but let a little comic book bleed in at the end

It's funny because I even went and googled it to make sure the name was right and forgot to edit my post

But yeah Jessica Jones is good, as is Daredevil.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

ol qwerty bastard posted:

watching jessica jones all i could think was how much i wanted to see kilgrave get casually murdered by someone who doesn't understand english

yeah, if you over think it the show kind of falls apart when you realize the main villain can be neutralized with a pair of acoustic earmuffs

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I watched all of Dark Matter which is the other 2015 SyFy channel original and it's not exactly a masterpiece of writing but it's definitely one of the least lovely ones in a while. I somehow managed to stomach all of Ascendance which was a lot worse, especially how there was an ~~ epic plot twist ~~ every single episode

i watched the first 2 episodes of dark matter and wanted to smash my tv it was so bad

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
maybe you mean killjoys? cause that was half decent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Constant Hamprince posted:

yeah, if you over think it the show kind of falls apart when you realize the main villain can be neutralized with a pair of acoustic earmuffs

they do try a bunch of ways to neutralize his powers over the course of the show and keep running into 2 problems: firstly, he's a very charming, persuasive, scheming sociopath even when he's not literally controlling your mind, and secondly, it's NYC so there are always a million rubes without headphones standing around. one character even does try the headphone thing, they get knocked off in a scuffle and then it's all over

I was kinda expecting it to end with jessica ripping out his larynx or giving him brain damage or something else that leaves him not a threat while technically just short of killing him, but nope, girl is just hardcore like that

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 30, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

i had a dream where i had kilgrave's powers and was trying to figure out how to get a ton of money without leaving a back trail of cctv footage and bank tellers who'd be all "uhmm" and then i was on a helipad trying to steal a helicopter and the wash from the blades blew all my virus away and no one could hear me anyway and someone pulled a gun and then i woke up with an adrenaline rush as usual

lot of flaws in that super power, gotta go light with it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i remember an asimov story where some guy has his brain removed by a nazi scientist and put into a robot, and he's unable to stop himself from following instructions, so one night he breaks the microphones in his ears so he can't hear the orders anymore and rampages the gently caress out of the lab

asimov wrote some cool poo poo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

just finished man in the high castle S1 and disappointed is was neither harold nor kumar

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ps dark matter is accurately named because it is blood-soaked feces

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Breakfast All Day posted:

just finished man in the high castle S1 and disappointed is was neither harold nor kumar

harold and kumar, except set in an america that's been overrun by fascism?

i think that's just harold and kumar 2

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they kept changing the way his powers worked throughout the season and also the characters knew how it worked in like episode 3 or 4 because they read the script from like episode 9 where its explained.

its a bad show with bad writing unless the point is that you're supposed to hate Jessica Jones.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive only got to ep 10 tho so maybe it becomes amazing in the last few eps?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao when hope kills herself

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shaggar posted:

lmao when hope kills herself

I was like :nallears:

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i remember an asimov story where some guy has his brain removed by a nazi scientist and put into a robot, and he's unable to stop himself from following instructions, so one night he breaks the microphones in his ears so he can't hear the orders anymore and rampages the gently caress out of the lab

asimov wrote some cool poo poo

what was the name of that story

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

SmokaDustbowl posted:

man I shouldn't laugh but lol

"I sat at my computer, typing away at the second volume of my memoirs when my phone rang.

"Hey Nic" said my agent

"Yeah"

"We have to talk about your book"

"What about it"

"Well…it would seem that you're claiming it's your memoir"

"Yeah"

"But nearly every event in the book, is a scene from one of your movies"

"What's that?"

"I said but nearly every event in the book…"

"No I heard you. What's a movie?"

"What's a…what's a…"

I heard my agent say 'oh boy'

"Nic, do you know where the money in your bank account comes from?"

"That time I found the treasure?"

"No that was National Treasure"

"That time I found the answer to all those conspiracy theories"

"That was The Rock"

"That time…"

"Yeah I'm just going to nip this in the bud and say no"

"So where does it come from"

"From your movies"

"What?"

"Ok you know how sometimes when you do things there's people with cameras filming you?"

"Is that what they're doing?"

"Ok, just to confirm you really don't know what movies are right?"

"No"

"Ok try not to do anything, I'm going to contact Shia Labeouf and figure out how to spin this as performance art"

"Shia Labeouf, the guy who fought all those transformers?"

"I'm hanging up now"

The line went dead and I hung up. I went back to writing about that time I was on the earth when it was destroyed, wondering if I should dedicate a whole chapter to how I'm actually three gnomes wearing a trench coat wearing a Nicholas Cage costume or if I should save that for the author's biography on the dust flap."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Ridley Scott: 'Alien: Covenant' Is First of 3 Films Before Linking Up With Original 'Alien'

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Could someone recommend a good thread on Fermi paradox / AI singularity on SA?

I read recently:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
and
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

And while I was more or less aware of both ideas before, the way it was all laid out in those threads made me want to see what the goons think about all this.
The search shits out just a bunch of random posts and I seem to be unable to find a coherent discussion.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Amethyst posted:

Ridley Scott: 'Alien: Covenant' Is First of 3 Films Before Linking Up With Original 'Alien'
please stop posting these bad things

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirTagz posted:

Could someone recommend a good thread on Fermi paradox / AI singularity on SA?

I read recently:
http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html
and
http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

And while I was more or less aware of both ideas before, the way it was all laid out in those threads made me want to see what the goons think about all this.
The search shits out just a bunch of random posts and I seem to be unable to find a coherent discussion.

There's a masturbation thread in A/T

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the writers are really bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i want a tachikoma

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
are people complaining that Jessica Jones has character development through rape, or do they only do that with comic books and not adaptations?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Dodoman posted:

i want a tachikoma

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dodoman posted:

i want a tachikoma

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

i want a taco

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

haveblue posted:

jessica jones as of ep 10: :stonklol: (this is a good thing)

:stonklol: :respek: :stonklol:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Larry Parrish posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dodoman posted:

i want a coma