Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who should I send my rear shock, and maybe forks, out to in the western US? Looking for a rebuild and maybe a revalve... if the price isn't insane.

Factory Connection?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Me. Not sure how customs would deal with parts having work done on them.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

BlackMK4 posted:

Who should I send my rear shock, and maybe forks, out to in the western US? Looking for a rebuild and maybe a revalve... if the price isn't insane.

Factory Connection?

I am a fan of Factory Connection. I will be sending them my suspension this winter again for a rebuild. I had them rebuild them last winter and they held up good.

What kind of riding are you doing? Racing?

Factory Connection (or any suspension shop) can be pricey for a full rebuild and revalve. Factory Connection does offer free valving adjustment for life (even if the owner changes) which has come in handy for me.

Unrelated, I went to the Ozark 100 miler. It was very wet and cold. I only ended up finishing 50 miles (two laps). Course was fun, but the rain and cold got to me and I did not finish the last moto. The night race was a blast to watch the pros and others that qualified. They had a hill in the night race that threw off most of the pros even. A lot of struggling riders on that rocky hill.

Vork!Vork!Vork! fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 30, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I mostly just crash, but desert (hardpack with loose ontop / sand) at the top of 4th or 5th with some rock gardens thrown in.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

Unrelated, I went to the Ozark 100 miler. It was very wet and cold. I only ended up finishing 50 miles (two laps). Course was fun, but the rain and cold got to me and I did not finish the last moto. The night race was a blast to watch the pros and others that qualified. They had a hill in the night race that threw off most of the pros even. A lot of struggling riders on that rocky hill.

Nice! Had a buddy that went to that and raced, think he made it about 60, but didn't qualify for the night ride. Said it was nuts poo poo.

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
Rode for the first time ever yesterday at an MSF dirtbike class. Super fun and now I need a truck a bike, and gear so i can go out and hit the trails. Looking at enduro 250s and trying to decide whether I want one thats registered for the street or not.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

mr_loc posted:

Rode for the first time ever yesterday at an MSF dirtbike class. Super fun and now I need a truck a bike, and gear so i can go out and hit the trails. Looking at enduro 250s and trying to decide whether I want one thats registered for the street or not.

Absolutely get a street legal bike. Even if you mainly want to do off road it is super fun to be able to drive around looking for new trails and places to explore.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'd love something like a CRF250L or XT250 so I can learn all kinds of skills that would translate well on the street.

I now also require a truck and all necessary gear.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'd argue against street legal dirt bikes, depending on your plans for riding. Off road riding is not kind to street legal equipment. Mirror, lights, plates will break when you crash. If you plan to explore fire roads but avoid obstacles and aggressive riding, street legal is fine. But any sort of trail ride quickly will thrash that gear.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Agreed, especially as a new dirt rider. You're gonna beat the gently caress out of the thing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Don't listen to these suckers. Buy a 350 or 500 exc.

Or just a crf 250 and accept your tail lights are going to get smashed up so you'll end up replacing them with cheap stick-on LEDs.

Fwiw, I think spending money on your suspension is the best idea vs almost everything else.

Edit: and electric start. You definitely want that on your first dirt bike. With kick start backup probably.

builds character fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 15, 2016

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Who are you people? Are we not men?

Clapped out 125's with poorly fitting fatty pipes are the A#1 new rider machine!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Serious question:

Our regional AMA series, NETRA, has had some decreased ridership in the championship enduro series. We're down to about 80-120 entrants these days, where the scrambles can have hundreds more.

Largely, the enduro ridership is older dudes, or really fast guys. I'll be honest when I say the enduro rides are very difficult. We still do timekeeping, but have moved to restart format like the Nationals for some races.

NETRA just hired a marketing guy, but is looking for input on how to rebrand a series that many people find incredibly difficult to appeal to younger/newer riders. Anyone have any great marketing ideas?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VTNewb posted:

Serious question:

Our regional AMA series, NETRA, has had some decreased ridership in the championship enduro series. We're down to about 80-120 entrants these days, where the scrambles can have hundreds more.

Largely, the enduro ridership is older dudes, or really fast guys. I'll be honest when I say the enduro rides are very difficult. We still do timekeeping, but have moved to restart format like the Nationals for some races.

NETRA just hired a marketing guy, but is looking for input on how to rebrand a series that many people find incredibly difficult to appeal to younger/newer riders. Anyone have any great marketing ideas?

What's your product? That's step one. Is it Erzberg lite or something that folks who suck can actually do and feel some sense of accomplishment (and conversely your better riders are probably going to complain about).

Then step two is who do you want your new riders to be? Literal new riders or folks who already ride (hare scramble participants, for example).

Then what you should do depends on that.

Here are my suggestions without knowing the answers to those two questions.
1. Foster a sense of community. You need folks who care about each other and want to come out to race but also to have beers and burgers at the bbq/potluck afterward. Fast dudes will always come almost no matter what. So will the old guys. Also, old guys love hanging out chatting about how awesome they used to be. Anyway, you have to do it live and then probably on Facebook too. Have someone moderate Facebook because people are awful.

2. Intro Enduro. Free trials classes/enduro classes where riders bring their bikes and the goal is to ride in an enduro race. Ideally you'd have a whole series from "babbies first dirt ride" to "things that make VTNewb cry." And then folks can track their progress. If you have enough interest you can get someone like Graham Jarvis to come give a class every year.

3. Family days. Same thing only its bring your kids and get them running around a mini track on tiny bikes. Dads love showing their kids how manly they are and it's a much easier sell to say "Come with me and the kids and they can ride around and you can hang out and drink." Than to have to say "watch the kids while I go play motorcycle." make smaller courses for kids to compete in.

4. Spartan/tough mudder style "gently caress you, this is super hard on purpose and the point is competing." Ideally youd be able to tap some brand loyalty rivalries here too and get sponsorships by local dealers (with classes on offer for everyone they sell an enduro bike to). Doing this the goal would be to become destination events because they're so hard. I think this is probably a loser unless you've got a ton of money, but worth considering if you've got a bunch of motocross bros or the like. You could partially incorporate this by having different classes in your races where only fast guys ride the hard part.

5. Dealer sponsorships. Get the local dealers (if you have any big ones) to compete with various classes - new riders in particular. Good for the dealers too as everyone is going to either destroy their bike or want a ton of new high-margin stuff for it.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

VTNewb posted:

We still do timekeeping, but have moved to restart format like the Nationals for some races.

Ditch the timekeeping ones. BJEC doesn't do any timekeepers anymore. The restart format will appeal more to the hare scramble riders as well. Also as for difficult level, do you mean in terrain or distance? Most hare scramble guys I know like the flow terrain/trails. Toss them at a bunch of first gear rock climbs and they'll prob hate life and you.

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
Currently trying to decide between an early 2000s yz125 for around $1200 or a newish CRF250X or WR250F for around $6000.

I'm leaning towards the yz125 just based on cost and maintenance. The idea that it could help me learn my fundamentals better is a plus too.

I would be using it mostly for desert trails. Is the motocross suspension on the yz125 a pain in the balls for that ?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

VTNewb posted:

Who are you people? Are we not men?

Clapped out 125's with poorly fitting fatty pipes are the A#1 new rider machine!

This is basically how I feel but I'm not good or fast. I just like beating the poo poo out of a 125.

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
Looks like I am gonna go the 125 route !

Going to pick up new helmet, goggles, boots, gloves, and maybe knee braces tonight along with a used Alpinestars Bionic jacket and go check out/test drive a 2000 yz125 I have my eye on.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My favorite tiny bike actually got stolen in Indiana a couple weeks ago, along with all of my street and mx gear. The cops are charging someone in connection with it as of yesterday and I'm hoping that my all my stuff is somewhere in his warehouse of stolen poo poo. I don't understand why anyone would steal this piece of poo poo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That sucks man. I hope you get it back unharmed. :( Out of curiosity, where was it stolen from and how was it locked up?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Stolen out of the back of my work truck in Indiana, cut straps/chain. They also got my buddy's KX80. We had just gotten to our hotel parking lot and decided that we'd unload the truck the next day instead of at 3 AM. Thieves stole someone else's F350, drove it around back and unloaded all our poo poo into it and drove away. Also, this was in Indianapolis about 3 minutes from the airport.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've always had a little range anxiety using the trials bike for trail riding. Today I actually ran out and had to push the thing a couple hundred feet up the trail to one of the main access roads. Lucked out and after sitting for about five minutes figuring out what to do someone rode by on an ATV and towed me to the parking lot.

So I'm looking for suggestions for fuel jugs that would fit in a camelbak to give me a little backup. Also looking for light weight tow strap recommendations. Would prefer not to mount anything on the bike but I might consider something that mounts where a number plate would.

Also discovered the reserve on a trials bike is hilariously small, especially when riding a technical trail.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've always had a little range anxiety using the trials bike for trail riding. Today I actually ran out and had to push the thing a couple hundred feet up the trail to one of the main access roads. Lucked out and after sitting for about five minutes figuring out what to do someone rode by on an ATV and towed me to the parking lot.

So I'm looking for suggestions for fuel jugs that would fit in a camelbak to give me a little backup. Also looking for light weight tow strap recommendations. Would prefer not to mount anything on the bike but I might consider something that mounts where a number plate would.

Also discovered the reserve on a trials bike is hilariously small, especially when riding a technical trail.

Just get a tow strap and hook it to your foot peg? https://www.atomic-moto.com/MSR-Tow-Strap_p_604.html

And then something like this with a spare liter. https://www.atomic-moto.com/Wolfman-Wolf-Bottle-Holster_p_2217.html

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
Bought the yz125 today. Can't wait to mix my first tank and join the cool kids club. Jonesing to go riding but obligations this weekend are gonna push that back.

Any of ya'll in the LA/Long Beach area and wanna go riding next weekend ?

mr_loc fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 21, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

builds character posted:

Just get a tow strap and hook it to your foot peg? https://www.atomic-moto.com/MSR-Tow-Strap_p_604.html
And then something like this with a spare liter. https://www.atomic-moto.com/Wolfman-Wolf-Bottle-Holster_p_2217.html
Put in an order for MSR tow strap and 20oz fuel jug. I'll just carry both in my camelbak. That combined with the Hebo Trials Auxiliary tank I ordered a year ago and forgot about should give me plenty of range.

Going to attempt to get back into riding dirt at least once a week this summer

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dog needs to work on his scrub.

http://i.imgur.com/HRoRJbH.gifv

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
Woohoo I just replaced my YZ125's silencer with a forest service approved one and took it for a little spin up and down the street.

Planning to ride at El Mirage on Saturday morning. Hopefully one of my coworkers will join because I don't have any other friends who ride and I'll be a little anxious putting around too far from the truck if I might have to push the bike back. So far I'm planning to carry:

hydration backpack
an extra spark plug and wrench
small first aid kit
a little duct tape
snackbars

Should I bring a tube and irons ? I've never even changed a bicycle tube before.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
You can limp to the truck on a flat tire without much issue. I'd add a cell phone and other common wrenches (8,10,12mm) to that, just in case. You never know when you need to adjust something.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

And bring a strap for towing/recovery.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I've been riding my KLR for about 4 years now, 90% of that on the street. I've recently moved to an area where it's got tons of trails to explore that I've started to take advantage of. I've been slowly building up my confidence by riding off road almost every weekend for the past few months. Right now it's the Canadian winter so I've been pretty much riding only in the snow, and so far it's been a blast. I've probably fallen off the bike about 40 times this season, but at least the snow is cushioning my fall. Last ride I only fell about 5 times so I'm seeing some serious progress haha...

Since it's been below freezing I've just bundled myself up in my dual sport gear, which is very heavy, but very comfortable in this weather. When it starts getting warmer I was thinking about getting the sort of stuff a typical dirt biker wears. those individual pads like the chest protector, elbow guards, etc. But I don't really know where to start. Could anybody give me some tips on what I should buy?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I was thinking something like this for the upper body:

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/thor-impact-rig-se.html

And is it worth it to get a knee brace? I'm always concerned about my legs. And throwing my KLR around ain't easy

Kindest Forums User fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 28, 2016

mr_loc
Sep 17, 2003
I don't have enough experience to recommend knee braces or not, but I wear them since my knees are a little messed up and they limit over extension and that sort of thing.

I wore an Alpinestars Bionic 2 jacket today under my shirt. Its similar to the one you linked, but the fabric holding the armor together is mesh. Temps today ranged from the 60s to 70s while I rode and the jacket didn't feel too hot, even with a flannel over it.

Somewhere in the bowels of this thread or the gear thread someone linked a similar mesh armor jacket that was waaaay less expensive, you might want to search for that too if you're on a budget.

Today I ended up on my first real ride outside of the MSF dirtbike class I took a few weeks back. Went to Gorman with some buddies instead of El Mirage. Good times. They took me on a trail which was marked as black diamond but wasn't too nuts for the most part. Got a little sketchy on one corner with a crazy drop-off, highsided twice on steep declines from grabbing too much front brake, and lowsided a couple times coming around sandy washed out corners but no harm done and had lots of fun. Ronnie Mac'd it in some overalls until I receive a set of pants and jersey that are coming my way.

mr_loc fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 28, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I like the leatt stuff, but there's lots of stuff that's good. I'd call Brian at atomic moto because he's super nice and helpful and they're great. Knee braces are good but I'd get a neck brace first. Atlas neck braces are cheaper than leatt.

Edit: there's some question about whether knee braces end up making you break your legs in ways that make you more likely to die but that's at Dakar pro levels of fast which you don't need to worry about.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

never happy posted:

I was thinking something like this for the upper body:

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/thor-impact-rig-se.html

And is it worth it to get a knee brace? I'm always concerned about my legs. And throwing my KLR around ain't easy

I have a similar upper body armor setup from another company, love it and have thoroughly crash tested it. I didn't go for full knee braces but do use knee armor similar to these - http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-bionic-mx-knee-protectors

Highly recommend at least running knee guards after loving up my knee for several months a few years ago from a low speed fall. Some decent dedicated motox boots are worth the money as well and will protect your ankles. I haven't picked up a neck brace yet but it's on the likely list for this summer now that I'm riding dirt more often.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I've never ridden a bike at Gorman but I took my jeep there once and did a black diamond trail that allowed sand rails and jeeps. It was fun and games until I came to a steep downhill hairpin with a cliff on the outside where I had to do a standing-on-brakes three point turn to get around the corner :v:

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Wolfs Den Round 1, trailrider edition. Dirtnewb (Feat. http://woods-bro.com/ - Jon). I haven't been on the bike since December, and came out to do trailriders race much thanks to Brady and TBT suspension. This is the video of my spodeness. It features Woods-bro at the start where he tells me that I'm getting ready to start (Thanks man, didn't notice). Again at the point before I wadded it trying to follow him. As well as the end where he passes me again and if I'd known it was him I wouldn't have pulled over. Anyhow, I cuss a lot, I cuss him a lot, and I had a great time!

https://youtu.be/OcaS-JRImBY

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
When I am not being lazy I actually have taken some time lately to work on my 02 KX250. I split the cases four years ago and have been rebuilding it since .. very ... very ... very slowly.

Obviously within that amount of time parts are bound to be lost. One of them I might have lost or might have destroyed or something, who knows, is the e clip on the governor rod for the powervalve. Is this a standard e clip that could probably be found locally at a automotive store, or does Kawi use some very specific e clip?

I don't mind ordering if need be, but i'd rather venture down to the local parts store and buy one there for 10 cents.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Hit the microfiche at rockymountainatvmc.com or wherever and see for yourself!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

VTNewb posted:

Hit the microfiche at rockymountainatvmc.com or wherever and see for yourself!

Yeah I have that already, its a 4mm type e circlip .. I have one, so I just need to venture outside to the parts store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Anyone selling or know someone who is selling a 06+ KTM 200 in the Dallas/Houston/Denver area? I feel like i'm starting to lose brain cells after talking to craigslist sellers.