Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

rotinaj posted:

I'd really like to get a behind-the-scenes, comprehensive book on some aspect of making South Park from them. I enjoy that kind of stuff way more than the actual episodes.

also, I'm shamelessly trying to kick this along to a new page. So there.

Well from what they've said, before each season they have a writers retreat, at those they work through potential episodes to do for the season, but mostly it's a chance to get climatized and ready to get back to work. These episodes are usually placed on the back burner, to be pulled up when they can't think of something and the episode airs tomorrow. In that way Trey and Matt are like the student who leaves everything to the wire on the due date on their assignments. They do the episodes usually week of, pushing it back because "eh, we'll do it later." research about it then "Uh, episode is due tomorrow" "poo poo poo poo poo poo!"

Then there's episodes like Fun Time with Weapons and the Heavy Metal episode, where they bring up an idea and are basically told "No way in loving hell are we doing this in this amount of time." so they don't use that episode until later to give it time to be finished. Surprisingly this has only bit them in the rear end once, for Goths 3. There was a power outage and they had to go "Welp, we're not making it on time." which was fine, because next week was their mid-season break anyway, so they just took a break this week and aired the episode in the original break time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Yeah, this doesn't really seem to flow as a "this was the last significant quest before endgame" sort of thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

rotinaj posted:

I'd really like to get a behind-the-scenes, comprehensive book on some aspect of making South Park from them. I enjoy that kind of stuff way more than the actual episodes.

also, I'm shamelessly trying to kick this along to a new page. So there.

I remember watching a half-hour special a few years ago that basically followed the making of a single episode from writing to air. They've got poo poo so automated that the entire process happens in 6 days.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

curiousCat posted:

Yeah, this doesn't really seem to flow as a "this was the last significant quest before endgame" sort of thing.

To be absolutely fair, the endgame is rather involved. It's gonna take another four updates to get through the final dungeon. But you are right, there really doesn't feel like a lot of connection between finishing Canada and being ready to assault Clyde's fortress.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Are you going to show off any of other character classes' abilities? My playthrough was as a Fighter, which was a neat experience and his ability set teetered between boring and hilarious.

Once we knock out the main story, I'm gonna do a write-up on the other two classes' abilities like I did for Jew. That's gonna be part of that nebulous bonus update I keep referring to, along with probably a shitload of dialogue, and a showcase the weapons and armor you can find.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
I'd like to comment real quick that "Voila" is a French saying that people use when handing over something - it would probably best be translated as "Here you are" or "here you go".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I'd like to comment real quick that "Voila" is a French saying that people use when handing over something - it would probably best be translated as "Here you are" or "here you go".
That's also what the word means in English.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Though some people to spell it wrongly as Walla. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Though some people to spell it wrongly as Walla. :v:

If I see it misspelled, I more often see it as viola. Clearly the French really like to discuss stringed instruments.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, Xander77's right, it's considered an English interjection: http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=voila&searchmode=none

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So DoubleNegative, when you're finished with the game do you mind if I post some of the unused/hidden files from the game? There's a lot of evidence of a different story that we never saw and at one point I had collected a bunch of it to share but the actual thread for the game died out pretty quickly. One of the bigger things was the girls being a third party faction instead of a brief side story. There are audio files with Wendy commenting on the school battle and apparently something big was supposed to happen in the boy's bathroom as Wendy leaves your party while you enter it. It's pretty obvious because the bathroom is this empty room that they fully modeled but doesn't really have any purpose in the game. Big Gay Al also has a bunch of clips as he was supposed to be a summon at some point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

al-azad posted:

So DoubleNegative, when you're finished with the game do you mind if I post some of the unused/hidden files from the game? There's a lot of evidence of a different story that we never saw and at one point I had collected a bunch of it to share but the actual thread for the game died out pretty quickly. One of the bigger things was the girls being a third party faction instead of a brief side story. There are audio files with Wendy commenting on the school battle and apparently something big was supposed to happen in the boy's bathroom as Wendy leaves your party while you enter it. It's pretty obvious because the bathroom is this empty room that they fully modeled but doesn't really have any purpose in the game. Big Gay Al also has a bunch of clips as he was supposed to be a summon at some point.

Yeah, I'd be pretty interested to see that sort of stuff!

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Xander77 posted:

Huh. I never actually knew people used it in English. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Huh. I never actually knew people used it in English. Guess you learn something new everyday.

In English, it's only used when you want to sound particularly fancy, giving a little flair to a simple action.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you get invaded every other century, you end up nicking a load of the occupier's language, so English is a terrifying stitch together of all sorts of crap.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Post 1066, it's less invasions and more immigration, trading and merging of the pre-existing languages of the British Isles, with a hefty dose of French added in with the Normans - the last significant invasion of Britain.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Crosspeice posted:

If you get invaded every other century, you end up nicking a load of the occupier's language, so English is a terrifying stitch together of all sorts of crap.
Other way around. If you invade 95% of existing nations, picking up a few words in each is enough to turn your language into a mishmash.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Other way around. If you invade 95% of existing nations, picking up a few words in each is enough to turn your language into a mishmash.

Crosspeice posted:

Both are true.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. :southparkthread:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Been about a thousand years, give or take fifty, since the last successful invasion of England, provided we take the Glorious Revolution of 1688 as effectively Mary overthrowing her father rather than a Dutch conquest.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The whole point of the Glories Revolution was Parliament kicking out the previous king to get a monarch that they preferred so yeah, I would not count that as a Dutch Conquest.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone. If you're in the United States, hope you're having a happy Thanksgiving. If you're not in this part of the world? Well, November 26th is a good day to celebrate regardless.

So, like I briefly mentioned last time, this is the point of no return for the game. Talking to Kyle will start the endgame sequence, and you'll be locked into it. So if you have unfinished business, now is the time to get it taken care of.

Because I obsessively do every sidequest I can get my grubby hands on, we're all set and ready to go. Unlike other RPGs, there are no new sidequests at this point in the game. So, shall we?

Video:

: Everyone listen up! The girls have agreed to fight by our side!

ALL: Huzzah!

: The pirates and the Federation factions are standing by to fight as well, my Lord!

: Then the time for talk is over! Let us all make haste to CLYDE'S HOUSE!

You can tell it's the end of the game, because there's all these "epic" establishing shots and camera sweeps.

: Today, we are not elves and humans!

: Today... we fight as ONE!

: What we do here now will be written and sung about on YouTube for days to come!

: Let us besiege the army of darkness with the courage of dragons! Let us delve their dungeon with swords and sorcery!

: Let us charge our shields and use photon torpedos to vaporize the Klingons!

: Kevin, god dammit. Every loving time, Kevin. God loving dammit, seriously.

: I'm sorry.

: Armies of justice! PREPARE! Ready?!

: And... let's beat up Clyde!

You have to wonder what Clyde's dad is thinking right now. It's never a good sign when your son's friends raise armies to besiege his backyard fortress.

: Dude, we are gonna wreck Clyde's poo poo.
: CLYDE! We're coming for you, Clyde!
: Let's get 'im!
: Let's go kill Clyde so I can sing about his de-- d--d-death.

: Our dark army will crush you to dust!
: Our lord and master calls for your head!
: We see the weakness in your heart.
: We are your darkest fear!
: Foolish mortal!
: Abandon hope!
: We're gonna eat your loving soul!
: You're no match for our dark powers!
: The Dark Lord has granted us eternal life!
: Clyde has conquered death itself!
: I hope you like dying!
: The Dark Lord will triumph!
: No one can take the dark tower!

So. Welcome to the final dungeon, folks. The kid wearing a do-rag and stupid eyeliner is one of Clyde's soldiers. Anyway, things start off with Wendy injured in front of us. It's not 100% necessary to help her, but there's no reason not to.

: Ow! I'm hit!
: They- they tore my costume. I worked really hard on it! You sons of bitches are gonna get what's coming to you!!

: Is there anything you can do?

: Sorry, you'll need a paladin to help you.
: You're forgetting your station, Commander Douchebag. I am your king.

: Only a paladin can help you here, Douchebag.
: Oh yes, right away my Lord. Shall I lick your rear end in a top hat clean while I'm at it?

: A bard is the best choice for any situation. Except for this one.
: You need a paladin here, Douchebag.
: You should leave the comedy to me.

: (I'm no help, I think you're gonna need a PALADIN to help you with this.)
: (You need a paladin to help you.)

: Your word is the command, my Lord.
: (obeying command) Yes sir!

: Thanks. Here, I got this for you. (she gives you SUPERHERO PATCH)
: We've got to get that bridge down while we're still mad!
: C'mon! Let's tear these jerks a new rear end in a top hat!

: Remember: Nagasaki!
Phillip likes this.

Apparently the Superhero Patch gives you +20% damage on your abilities, which makes it strong as hell.

Terrance's message shows up randomly after you get him and Phillip as friends, but it showing up here is a nice reminder in case you didn't go after the Crab People in the sewers. The green crack on these gargoyles mean we need to Nagasaki fart them apart.

: All right, it's down!
: Man, Clyde's base is weak.
: That did it!
: That was a mi-million to one shot!

: Charge!

: You take the tower from the inside! Me and the pirates are gonna scale it from the outside!

: Surrender or die!
: We're gonna cream you!
: Last chance. Drop your weapons and walk away.
: You jerks picked the wrong team!
: We've got this. Get into the tower!

The game wants us to sneak around the back of this tower. There's a small mouse hole we can sneak into. But before we do, we really should give Wendy a hand. Turn off their base defenses and we can beam right down and attack them.

Seeing as this is the final dungeon, the random trash enemies are suitably badass. This guy has probably the least armor of anyone in here, and he has more than the last several bosses we fought. Of course everyone still goes down like a sack of potatoes because we're just that awesome. :kamina:

: You're not getting past me.
: (attacking) A sacrifice to our dark lord!
: (attacking) You're dead!
: (attacking) This is our keep, fucker!
: (starting fight) You will go no further!
: (starting fight) What a joke.
: (running away) gently caress Clyde!
: (running away) He's too powerful!
: (dying) Fool...
: (dying) Forgive me, master...

: Let's get inside!
: (Let's get inside!)

Now we could enter the front gate, but that's an incredibly bad idea.

See that small crack? Yeah, that's the mouse hole I mentioned earlier. Let's duck in there.

: Ow! gently caress me that hurts! Ow!
: loving rats, why?
: Oh gently caress I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding out! I'm loving dead!
: (when healed) gently caress yeah! loving die, rat!
: Let's go, pussy!
: (kicks rat to death) That's for my brothers you furry gently caress!

See that lighter next to the rat on the left? We can shoot it to flip it over, which also makes it produce fire. I'm sure you can guess what happens after that. Just past that rat is a small pouch.

The Dairy Council patch regenerates 5PP each turn. Not bad.

This green goo stuff has really hosed up South Park. Anyway, we wanna go left here.

If you go in the front door, the rear end in a top hat up on the top of the screen starts launching rockets at you. There is unique dialogue for doing that however.

: Hahahaha.
: I'm gonna blow you up!
: This is gonna be awesome!
: Burn baby burn!
: Let's see you hide from this.
: Incoming!
: Bombs away!

We would then need to use Princess Kenny to get past the barrier.

: I- I think you might need a lady here.
: My bard powers are no use here, Douchebag. Try a lady.
: I- I can only heal. You need someone who can charm.
: Well I'm flattered that you thought of me, but I-I wouldn't even know where to begin.

However we didn't do any of that. Instead we snuck in behind the barrier.

This rear end in a top hat in the front row has over 1,000 armor. See why I've been saying that the "ignore 60 armor" style patches have been useless? Great, we can ignore a whole 6% of this guy's armor. Alternatively, just set his rear end on fire and make him bleed to death.

The Terrance and Phillip backpack in the background has some loot.

The Jewpacabra Claw destroys 100 armor on perfect attack. It would be more useful to us if our Dragon's Breath attack didn't also do the same.

Anyway, back underground and up the drain pipe.

The drain pipe lets us attack the cyclops enemies up here.

: Nice job Douchebag! See you at the top!

: We are the Dark Lord's mighty Cyclops!
: You shall not pass!
: Get over here!
: Oh, you think you're hot poo poo?
: What are you looking at?
: Get that twerp!
: The gently caress?!

: (starting fight) My foot is going up your rear end!
: (starting fight) Oh you are so hosed.
: (starting fight) You're gonna wish you were never born!
: (idle) Stalling won't save you!
: (if you die) Why don't you cry about it?

These guys are apparently a boss encounter. They are completely unique in the game, they get boss fight music, and they die like bitches because I set them on fire and put 5 stacks of bleeding on them.

Actually, you know that does pretty much qualify them for boss status. I should note that they don't have a lot of health. The guys we fought on the floor below, collectively and individually, had more. :shrug:

: Yeah! gently caress you, Cyclops!
: gently caress you, Cyclops!
: (Yeah! gently caress you Cyclops!)
: Yeah!
: In your eye, Cyclops!

After beating the cyclops. Cyclopes? What's the plural of cyclops? Well, whatever. When I beat them, I noticed a treasure chest hiding on the first floor.

The berserker patch gives attack up at the start of combat. It's nice? The real prize here are the lawn darts. They hit three random enemies and inflict bleed naturally. Of course I immediately equip them. Gotta love that bleed damage.

Bleeding is going to stop being effective in the next update and remain so for the rest of the game So enjoy it while it lasts. Before too long we're actually going to have to fight bosses instead of beat them in three turns.

Moving on up...

: Nazi poo poo is everywhere! Clyde's turning the whole town Nazi!
: Bad kitty! That's a bad kitty!
: (Watch out! Nazi kitties!)
: Lookit! Nazi kitties!
: Those kitties look pissed off!

The armor values have been steadily climbing all update. 1264 seems to be it for regular enemies? Just remember, there was a time not too long ago when 20 armor on someone was considered tanky. Anyway, these are bog standard nazi zombies. That means they don't like having Pyre Ball dropped on them and consequently burn to death. Re-death.

There's two things to destroy once you beat the nazi zombies. The first is the support holding the platform up.

The platform itself is cracked and flashing green.

Of course, unleashing a Nagasaki fart has ruinous consequences.

: We've got your back! Pirates, help the Commander! (a rope ladder is lowered)
: Avast, Douchebag!
: Arrr!

We're nearly at the top of the tower!

: All right, here's the plan. Attack each tower and raise the gate so we can get into Clyde's lair! Maplebeard! Clear the path!
: Yaaaay!

: gently caress. You. (punches IKE)

: (cries)

Dude. Punching 5 year olds is not cool. Especially if you're that much bigger than them. Okay gently caress this guy. Time to finish what Ike started. Fart on the rocket and...

: (happily) Bubububububu!

Ike and the little girl pirate will now spend the remainder of the game kicking the poo poo out of the downed cyclops. Ike also adds us as a Facebook friend! :toot:

The cyclops has the sticker that causes 100 additional points of shock damage on perfect hit.

Green cracks? Ruinous consequences!

There's a chest in the back of the destroyed lookout tower. The knight set has the same armor values as the Valkyrie set.

We blew the top clear off the tower. As a bonus, the falling debris knocked out all the enemies inside. :toot: Anyway, there's a wheel right in front of Douchebag here. We want to use that, which will raise the portcullis some.

Over on the left, there's some corrugated tin preventing us from getting past. But no matter, we can hit a lantern inside with our killer darts.

You know, we really should put that boy out. We can't reach him normally, so I hope he doesn't mind a fart instead.

Whoops.

The corrugated tin is invulnerable as far as we're concerned, so we have to teleport around it. But before you beam down, take a good look around. See that green shoe up on top of the screenshot?

Shoe is the 30th Chinpokomon in the game. It will occasionally straight up not spawn if you haven't sold (or stored) any trash drops for the entire game. Nobody is quite sure why, but in all the testing that people did in order to fix it, the only way to ensure it would spawn was to revert to a save back in the middle of Canada.

Oh, and see that barbed wire patch? We get that as a reward for collecting all 30 Chinpokomon. It gives you a 200 damage thorns effect. Pretty strong!

: Congratulations, New Kid-chan! You a-first to collect all Chinpokomon! You have big American penis. Japanese penis very small.

:blush: Well, I don't like to brag, but...

Anyway. Beam back down on the left side, behind the tin plate. There's a container to loot, and a wheel to turn.

The Shard of Clyde's Crown causes your attacks to ignore 400 armor per attack. This honestly isn't too bad, as you're ignoring roughly 1/3 of the trash enemy armor per attack. There are better patches to apply to your weapons, like anything that causes a damage over time effect.

Turn the wheel and the portcullis raises. We can also destroy the tin plate from behind.

Shall we enter?

Next time, folks. Next time we continue our trek through the final dungeon, and we fight a pretty nasty boss. See y'all on Monday!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2015

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know why they chose to have this be just about the only place in the game with regular uses of "Break the object" gameplay, but it is a pretty cool little dungeon. You feel like a proper badass by this point in the game. Is a low-level run of this game fun and doable?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DoubleNegative posted:

After beating the cyclops. Cyclopes? What's the plural of cyclops? Well, whatever.

Cyclopes (and cyclops) is correct.

Yeah, this dungeon is fun. The massive armour stacks at this point aren't a problem if you've figured out the combat system. If you haven't learned it yet, I could see how someone might struggle. But seriously, it's so easy to melt through armour at this point.

EDIT: to be more correct

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i'm surprised there have been no pokemon based on shoes

but never fear! disney's pokemon-alike, spectrobes, has you covered

http://spectrobes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketobasu

(i actually like a lot of the designs of them in this game, my favorites are probably chainsaw lizard and the fighter jet with a ponytail lol)

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

i'm surprised there have been no pokemon based on shoes

but never fear! disney's pokemon-alike, spectrobes, has you covered

http://spectrobes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketobasu

(i actually like a lot of the designs of them in this game, my favorites are probably chainsaw lizard and the fighter jet with a ponytail lol)

How does Disney have a Pokemon ripoff, and not have a tv show to go with it?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Blind Sally posted:

Cyclopes is correct.

Dude, it's an English word. If you aren't pronouncing it "kik-lope" then there's no reason to pluralize it weirdly.

Greek words in English don't follow rules. The "eu" in Zeus is pronounced "oo", in Europa it's "yu", and in Perseus and Theseus it's two separate syllables. Lord knows we say "aegis" in a dozen different ways.

YOU ARE WRONG ON THE INTERNET, SIR.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MartianAgitator posted:

Dude, it's an English word. If you aren't pronouncing it "kik-lope" then there's no reason to pluralize it weirdly.

Greek words in English don't follow rules. The "eu" in Zeus is pronounced "oo", in Europa it's "yu", and in Perseus and Theseus it's two separate syllables. Lord knows we say "aegis" in a dozen different ways.

YOU ARE WRONG ON THE INTERNET, SIR.

lol, nice one. you are wrong on the internet in trying to call out someone for being wrong on the internet:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cyclops

http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=cyclopes&searchmode=none

you're right. it's an english word. so "cyclopes" is correct. so is "cyclops". but to be honest, people would understand if you said "cyclopses" as well, so it doesn't really matter. english often breaks rules and many things get pluralized weirdly. octopuses and octopi, for example. it's a drat flexible language.

EDIT: i realize, i should've probably said they were both correct in my previous post. i'm still not wrong though.

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 27, 2015

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

South Park SoT is 75% off on Steam right now. I'd advice this to be a good time to pick it up, for anyone still on the fence.

I just started my first playthrough, and named the new kid Boss, because this could easily be an origin story for Saint's Row.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrangeAeon posted:

South Park SoT is 75% off on Steam right now. I'd advice this to be a good time to pick it up, for anyone still on the fence.

I just started my first playthrough, and named the new kid Boss, because this could easily be an origin story for Saint's Row.

Already own it, but this is a rad deal. For those people on the fence, it's worth the experience.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

lol, nice one. you are wrong on the internet in trying to call out someone for being wrong on the internet:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cyclops

http://etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=cyclopes&searchmode=none

you're right. it's an english word. so "cyclopes" is correct. so is "cyclops". but to be honest, people would understand if you said "cyclopses" as well, so it doesn't really matter. english often breaks rules and many things get pluralized weirdly. octopuses and octopi, for example. it's a drat flexible language.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/octopus
Octopi is also incorrect, funnily enough, because it comes from the greek words "okto" and "podi" (literally "eightfoot"), and thus either the english plural "octopuses" or the greek plural "octopodes" are correct, though "octopodes" is mostly used to be fancy, while "octopi" is incorrect because it follows the latin rules of pluralization. :eng101:

Also, did Ike befriend you yet? I thought he did so after you save him from the cyclops, but I didn't see it mentioned in the update.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Also, did Ike befriend you yet? I thought he did so after you save him from the cyclops, but I didn't see it mentioned in the update.

Whoops! Good catch. Yeah, Ike adds us as Facebook friends once we light his rocket.

StrangeAeon posted:

If you're the type that hunts for Steam achievements, try naming the main character Douchebag.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you guys should have started this earlier in the day. You're just going to get called home on the cusp of victory again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not our fault we had to repeatedly walk back and forth across the entirety of Canada.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
We never did receive the Canadian Greeting either, but it's when a dire bear shits all over your face.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LifeofaGuardian posted:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/octopus
Octopi is also incorrect, funnily enough, because it comes from the greek words "okto" and "podi" (literally "eightfoot"), and thus either the english plural "octopuses" or the greek plural "octopodes" are correct, though "octopodes" is mostly used to be fancy, while "octopi" is incorrect because it follows the latin rules of pluralization. :eng101:

Actually, "octopi" is totally correct in English. Ignoring Latin/Greek rules of pluralization for a moment, because let's be frank here, grammar is ultimately just about how people speak, "octopi" is a widely used and accepted pluralization of "octopus" (it's been around for at least a couple of centuries). It's what we call an "accepted variant" :eng101:. To quote this article:

http://grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/ posted:

Still, while the use of octopi can’t be justified on an etymological basis, it is not wrong. It is old enough and common enough to be considered an accepted variant.

In fact, "octopodes" is more liable to confuse an English speaker than "octopuses" or "octopi" are, but "octopodes" is still ALSO correct. Again, English is an incredibly flexible language.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SaitoBatch posted:

How does Disney have a Pokemon ripoff, and not have a tv show to go with it?

They had webisodes or some poo poo maybe two people ever watched

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, "octopi" is totally correct in English. Ignoring Latin/Greek rules of pluralization for a moment, because let's be frank here, grammar is ultimately just about how people speak, "octopi" is a widely used and accepted pluralization of "octopus" (it's been around for at least a couple of centuries). It's what we call an "accepted variant" :eng101:. To quote this article:

In fact, "octopodes" is more liable to confuse an English speaker than "octopuses" or "octopi" are, but "octopodes" is still ALSO correct. Again, English is an incredibly flexible language.

Huh. Guess that's what I get from only checking one site about it. :shobon:

South Park the Stick of Truth LP: now also a grammar class!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

English is a sturdy enough language to survive the blandishments of a few rogue classicists.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Today I've learned that Galit Sassoon uses the term "felicitous" in a way that doesn't make sense to other linguists, so my time browsing LP was not spent in vain.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Sally posted:

Well that's a relief, given that I've been saying 'octopi' all this time. It makes more sense when you realize that while the word is Greek in origin, it is now a loanword in a Latin-based Germanic language and thus is bound to mutate a little as a result.

Xander77 posted:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." - James Nicoll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Apparently, the word "literally" can now mean both "literally" and "figuratively". English is such a broken language.

• Locked thread