Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm sure I don't need to introduce South Park. If you've watched Comedy Central any amount of time in the past 18 years, you've at least heard of it in passing. There have been several South Park games, most of them have been, to put it bluntly, awful or unplayable.

The Stick of Truth is neither, which is pretty impressive given its development history. It was developed by Obsidian, initially published by THQ, and eventually picked up by Ubisoft after THQ filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The game was initially scheduled to be released in March of 2013. After the title was acquired by Ubisoft, the release date was pushed back several times, with it eventually releasing a full year later in March of 2014.

What kind of game is it?

The Stick of Truth is a single player RPG, with minor open world elements. You control the New Kid, a 9 year old who just moved to the Colorado town. You can wander freely around South Park and talk to the locals. Many of them will have quests for you to complete, and in between that there is lots of combat.

The combat system isn't a traditional turn based style of RPG, instead it cribs from Paper Mario heavily. You can press buttons just before being hit to reduce incoming damage, and likewise, pressing a button before hitting something increases the damage you deal.

Also it's an incredibly crude and offensive game, which fits given the source material.

Wait, offensive?

Yeah. One of the playable classes is Jew, you run around farting on things and calling it magic, the faction you join at the start of the game is the Kingdom of Kupa Keep, you can beat up vagrants to make the town appear like it cares. And so much more. To say more would be to spoil half of the, frankly, insane poo poo that happens in this game.

:siren::siren: To that end, please no spoilers!:siren::siren: This game won Giant Bomb's "Best Moment of 2014" category for a reason. That reason is massive spoilers.

No talking about spoilers, no black bars, no being coy, no "oh wait till you see this part," nothing!

Also for the sake of sanity, please no socio-political discussions. It's too much of a minefield and this is a thread about a comedy game. D&D is thataway.

Added Aug 18, 2015 - I thought I wasn't going to have to say this, but apparently I do. Please don't be a creepy gently caress.

So what kind of LP is this?

I tried to do it video, but there is so much amazing voice acting that there was nowhere to explain basic mechanics without tripping over the game as a result. So, to that end, I'm doing this as a screenshot LP with optional videos showing off the cool moments. Also gifs, expect lots of gifs.

This LP should also be considered to be extremely NWS. I'm not going to dwell on anything that might come up, but you will see poo poo that will get you fired if you get caught reading this at work.

Part 1 - Making Friends in South Park
Part 2 - Evicting Vagrants
Part 3 - :nws: What the gently caress is Wrong With This Town? :nws:
Part 4 - City Wok and the Tower of Peace
Part 5 - Repping the Row
Part 6 - South Park Elementary
Part 7 - Chickadee-y Has Invited You to a Blood Orgy Next Sunday
Part 8 - The Inn of the Giggling Donkey
Part 9 - :nws: It is Illegal for Australia and Europe to Read This :nws:
Part 10 - Recruiting the Goth Kids
Part 11 - Flag Hunting
Part 12 - The Requisite Sewer Level
Part 13 - New Message from Al Gore
Part 14 - A Super Cereal Update
Part 15 - A Flute is Just What I Need to Play Magical Songs of Enchantment
Part 16 - Somehow that Green Goo Makes Hallway Monitors Even Lamer!
Part 17 - Not Now Dad, I'm Making a Ruler of Darkness Video
Part 18 - BONUS - The Path Not Chosen
Part 19 - :nws: Gotta go to Work, Work all Night. Search for Underpants, Hey! :nws:
Part 20 - Emergency Meeting at the Elven Forest
Part 21 - Meeting the Girls
Part 22 - The ESRB is Going Crazy
Part 23 - :nws: Christmastime is Once a Year :nws:
Part 24 - You Need... A Passport
Part 25 - Blame Canada
Part 26 - Nagasaki
Part 27 - Voila! Bonjour! Merci beaucoup!
Part 28 - The Dark Lord's Fortress
Part 29 - :nws: New Kid Came to the Stomach Dark :nws:
Part 30 - :nws: I Banish Thee from Space and Time! :nws:
Part 31 - :nws: Screw You Guys, I'm Going Home :nws:
Part 32 - BONUS - poo poo I Missed
Part 33a - BONUS - Extra Dialogue 1
Part 33b - BONUS - Extra Dialogue 2

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Town Map of South Park, CO.

al-azad describes the development troubles of the Stick of Truth, and shows some of the content that was cut from the final product.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 8, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The main menu is oddly low-key. There's a lot of madness to come, so it's a nice way to start things off and ease us in.

Video:

You just know this guy got picked on in school. A lot.

: Deep in the lands of Zaron, the humans of Kupa Keep struggle to stay alive as they are attacked by the wicked Drow Elves of Larnion.

The images have the narration as well, but it can be hard to read at times. So just ignore most yellow text on the images. This animation is remarkably well done, too. Kind of reminds me of the 1977 version of The Hobbit.

I feel I should also warn you that this game can get bloody.

: Darkness falls as the humans beg their King to save them. A noble King, known only as the Grand Wizard.

Eric Cartman is the Grand Wizard of the Kingdom of Kupa Keep. This game is very mature and sophisticated.

: For a thousand years the battle has been waged, with only the bravery of the Grand Wizard to protect his human followers

: But even though the Wizard King is so undeniably cool, the Drow Elf armies continue their attacks. They seek the humans' most treasured relic - the Stick of Truth.

I just can't get over how amazing the animation is here. Seriously, go back and watch the video. Yes, you specifically. Go watch the video.

: But the tides of war are soon to change, as news of a new kid spreads throughout the land.

: In order to save the humans, the Grand Wizard must get to the new kid - before the drow elves can manipulate his mind and USE him to take the sacred relic from human hands.

: For whomever controls the Stick... controls the universe...

Are you guys pumped for an epic fantasy story where we save all of creation from the evil Drow Elf armies? This is South Park, so too bad.

Instead, let's make our original character. Do Not Steal!

Video:

Despite the claims of this sign, we only ever see two bedrooms and one bathroom in our new house. Yes, this is our house. We just moved to South Park.

: Well, I think that's everything.
: We did it, hon, we're really moved in!
: It's a new beginning for us. Things are finally going to be good!
: Do you really think it will be better for ... him?

: They won't look for him here. We just need to make sure he doesn't attract any attention. Come on, let's see how he's doing.

: Sweetie? Hon, you all dressed?

I have no idea why they look so shocked here.

: Hey, champ. How do you like your new room? I know it's a big change for all of us, but ... son, do you ... REMEMBER why we moved to this quiet little mountain town?

: (whispering to MOM) He doesn't remember.
: (whispering back) He doesn't remember at all.
: That's good. That's good he doesn't remember.
: Uh, sweetie, we want you to have lots of fun here. Why don't you go out and make some friends?
: Right, get outside and PLAY, son. Like ... like normal kids.
: We've got some money for you on the kitchen counter, sweetie. Just ... be back before it gets dark.
: (sarcastic) Yeah, we love you too.

Once they leave, we get control of our dude for the first time. The bear tape recorder in the bottom right means the game is saving, while the upper right shows that we, for some unknown reason, just got a windfall of $4.34.

There's a lootable container in our closet. While I'll be showing all that we pick up in this update, I'll be quickly stopping that unless it's something particularly funny or noteworthy.

The baseball cards are in gray text, which means they're vendor fodder. There is an achievement in this game for getting through it not selling anything at all. We will not be getting that achievement.

Out in the hallway, we can go downstairs and get on with the game, or we can poke around and explore our new home. The door next to ours is locked, but there is a bathroom door at the far end of the hall, opposite the stairs.

See all those gold-colored objects? We can interact with anything in that color.

For instance, under the sink we find a disused sponge and a rusted pipe. The bottom drawer has $0.10, so I don't bother getting a screencap.

We can also interact with the toilet.

... moving on.

We'll head left into the kitchen first, where Mom is unpacking.

Let's loot the place. There's $2.00 on the counter, like Mom and Dad promised.

Eye Black is a cosmetic item, while the bag of cheesy poofs is a health restorative. We'll cover health restoratives later, so let's look at cosmetics instead.

This is our inventory screen. We can equip four different types of cosmetics on the right side of the screen. The comb is hairstyles, the glasses are accessories, the third option is face paint, and the mustache is for facial hair. We now look like a nine year old football player.

: Go on outside, sweetie.

If we talk to her again...

: Go look around the neighborhood.

Heading into the living room, we need to be quick.

: C'mon, son. Get out there. Make friends.
: It wasn't a request, it was a COMMAND. Now get out there and make some friends!

Don't talk to Dad twice. He'll boot our rear end out on the street, and then we'll have to go make friends. We want to avoid that, so let's loot the drawer instead.

If we put the wig on and try to leave, Dad has some choice words for us.

: You're really gonna go outside with that hair?
: So you realize that your hair looks like that?

He also gets up to kick us out onto the street if we dick around too much.

Eventually we'll wind up outside, whether by choice or force doesn't matter. Maybe we can try to re-enter.

: Will you go out and be a kid for Christ's sake?!

Right then, guess we're off to make friends.

First, this is the quest log. I probably won't be looking at this screen much. A lot of the quests are really straightforward.

We can't leave to the left. We're a human, and this barrier explicitly says humans aren't allowed past it.

Maybe we can hide in the garage.

Nothing worthwhile on the ground floor, though there is a treasure chest higher up.

For reference, here is what the pigtail wig looks like

and this is the surfer wig.

Both look awful, so we won't be wearing either. I also got tired of the quarterback look and took off the Eye Black.

A little past our garage, we hear sounds of combat.

: You shall die by my warhammer, Drow Elf!
: Nuh-uh!
: I banish thee to the forest realm!
: No way, I banished you first! AHA! You can't hold out much longer!
: Help! Somebody!! I can't hold out much longer!! Heeeeelp!
: Take that, human! Feel my wrath!
: Ow, ow, ouch!
: Yeah, I deserved that...
: Sorry for hurting your sword.

We should probably help that poor blond-haired boy.

: Hey, no fair. That's cheating. I'm gonna tell my mom.

: Thanks, kid. I didn't realize he had a health potion. My- my name is Butters the Merciful. I'm a paladin. I live right next door to you. We should be friends!

Butters then finds and adds us on Facebook.

Then he posts a message on our wall.

I'll transcribe the Facebook status updates to make them a little easier to read.

: Hey everybody! There's a new kid playing with us, and me and him are friends! That way nobody picks on him.

: Now that we're friends, you should speak with the Wizard King! He's been talking about your arrival. The Wizard lives this way. In the green house, over there.

A little further up the street, we find the fabled Kupa Keep. (The garage in the image is locked. We'll get in it later.)

: Hey, where are you from?
: Where'd you live before moving here?
: Do you like Colorado?
: Why are you wearing your hair like that?
: You don't talk much, do ya? That's ok, I can talk for both of us!

Butters likes to talk.

: All hail the Grand Wizard!
: So, you are the New Kid. Your coming was foretold by Coldwell Banker. I am the Wizard King. But the time for talk is not nigh. Let me show you my kingdom.

: Ohh, who's your new friend, Eric?
: Shut up, mom, not now.

Let's see what the nice lady has to say.

: Don't talk to her, she's not part of the game.

Oh ok. We'll just follow him, then.

: Welcome ... to the Kingdom of Kupa Keep!

This is a lovely kingdom.

: Our weapon shop here is tended by Clyde, a level 14 warrior.

: Here you can see our massive stables, overseen by the level 9 ranger Scott Malkinson, who has the power of diabetes.

: And here, of course, is the breathtaking and lovely Princess Kenny. The fairest maiden in all the kingdom. Don't ask why Kenny wanted to be a chick, it's just how he seems to be rolling right now.

Before we talk to Cartman, let's explore his lovely kingdom. First let's talk to Clyde and Scott.

: You may have heard of my deeds at the Battle of Stark's Pond.
: That's the line the Grand Wizard gave me.
: Sorry but the Grand Wizard told me to stick to the script.

: My loyalty is as incurable as my diabetes.
: The power of diabetes is both a gift and a curse. But mostly a curse.
: The Grand Wizard withholds snacks if we talk off script.
: Stick to your lines!! No talking, Scott!

Both Clyde and Scott added us on Facebook.

: Be careful, the Rock of Insanity holds mysterious powers!
: Kay, you're insane now. if you want to be healed, you must gaze at the Rock again.
: Kay, you're healed.
: Kay, you're insane now. ... Kay, you're healed.

: Ah yes, the Pool of Vision. Beautiful, isn't it?
: Do not disturb the sacred waters!
: You're messing with powers you don't understand.
: MOM! The New Kid keeps trying to pop the Pool of Vision!

The script I'm using doesn't have Cartman talking about the pool at all, so this is the only dialog I have recorded.

Next to the pool is a daffodil. We should pick it.

Picking the flower starts us in the middle of a quest! We could have spoken to Kenny to also get this quest. This means that we can start completing quests before we even receive them. This game is awesome in that regard.

On the other side of the kingdom we find more stuff to poke at.

: Ah, you have located the training area, where our massive army learns to fight.

: The Wizard Stump. Perhaps one day I will show you what it does ...
: Some say he who discovers the secret of the Wizard Stump is the master of his own destiny. I figured it out the other day. Pretty easy, at least for me.

Finally, there's a pretty big tower we can climb to look out over the town.

: Behold, the distant realm of Downtown, home of corrupt merchant lords and homeless people.

Additionally, according to the script, Cartman has lines for if you try to leave, and if you just stand around doing nothing.

: Hey, where the hell are you going??
: I know it is a massive kingdom, but you'll learn to find your way around.

Let's go talk to Princess Kenny.

: (muffled speak, requesting a flower)
: (Tee hee hee, I'm just a shy little princess!!)
: (I'd ask if you needed my assistance, but I can tell you don't!)
: (A daffodil for me?? Teeheehee, you shouldn't have.)

Kenny adds us on Facebook after giving him (her?) the daffodil.

: As Court Paladin, my job is to deliver the Wizard King's justice. And his mail.

: Like if you think I am the fairest maiden in all the land.
Scott Malkinson and 14 others like this.
: Seriously, Princess Kenny you don't have to keep posting this.

: I'm supposed to donate most of my allowance since that's one of the rules of being a paladin. Anybody know who I'm supposed to give it to?
: Your King demands his tithe, paladin. Come talk to me.

: You have been sought out, New Kid, because humans everywhere are in great danger. I need something from you and, in return, I am prepared to allow you into my kingdom. I know you are very excited. It's time for your first quest, but first - please tell us thy name.

New Kid is what I typed in. I like to pretend he's a smartass. I'm just going to copy this next bit straight from the script without editing, so you can understand exactly what happens.

: (regardless of what you enter) You entered "Douchebag". Is that correct?
(options: NO or YES)
: (regardless of choice) Are you sure you want to keep the name "Douchebag"?
(options: NO or YES)
: Very well, Douchebag. You will now choose a class: Fighter, Mage, Thief, or Jew.

Naturally, this game has a lot of flavor text for everything, including selecting classes. Also racism. It has a lot of racism and anti-semitism too.

: (when fighter is selected) A fighter has courage, honor, and the ability to kick loving rear end.
: (when fighter is selected and you are black) Black fighter, huh? Pretty scary.
: (when fighter is selected and you are white) A white fighter? Haven't seen a good one of those in a while.
: (when mage is selected) A mage is like a wizard only not as cool.
: (when thief is selected) You look sneaky enough to be a thief.
: (when thief is selected and you are white) A white thief? Never heard of one, but interesting ...
: (when jew is selected) Jew, huh? So I guess we'll never really be friends.

: We welcome to our kingdom Douchebag the Mage!
: Hooray!
: Now, please, go and visit the weapons shop. Procure yourself a weapon and we shall teach you to fight!

We just joined the KKK! :confuoot:

Hey, wait a second...

More flavor text!

: You know what procure means, right? That's Old English for buy. Go buy a weapon from Clyde!
: (if you observe the Wizard Stump) Still haven't figured it out, Douchebag?
: (idle) Don't let it bother you that there is a game to be played.
: (idle) New Kid has checked out everything in my back yard. Hardcore Gamer. Wow.

Let's talk to Clyde and buy our weapon.

: Would you like to see my wares, weary traveler. Perhaps you would like to hear tips and rumors for two dollars?

: (if TIPS AND RUMORS) Don't waste your money on tips and rumors.

Most of the options are self-explanatory. Flair is a catchall for cosmetic items, while weapon strap-ons are something very special. I'll explain them more in-depth later.

The only weapon we can buy right now is a wand. But that's fine, it's a perfectly usable weapon.

: Ah, a lovely purchase.

: Good, now how about you EQUIP your weapon instead of carrying it in a bag where it's completely useless.

Over on the right side of the screen, we can see all sorts of stuff. The = means it's the same attack power as what we have equipped, while the damage range is self explanatory. The x2 means how many times it attacks.

Burning Surge is an equipped effect from the wand. Basically, if we get a perfect attack (I'll explain these shortly) on a target we've set on fire, we get 1PP back. All of that will make sense in a moment.

: Ah, you have procured a weapon. Nice. It is now time to teach you how to fight. I want you to take your new weapon, and, with the bravery of a noble knight -- beat up Clyde.
: What?!

: Kick Clyde's rear end, New Kid.
: What'd I do?!
: I'm the KING, Clyde, and the King wishes to be amused. Go on, New Kid, kick his rear end.

So this is our combat tutorial.

: I'm gonna kick your rear end!
: Clyde, you have to wait your turn.
: That's lame.
: No, Clyde, it's like olden times. You have to wait your turn. Like in the Middle Ages, Clyde! I know it's lame, Clyde, but that's how we're loving doing it. Alright, Douchebag, bash Clyde's face in! Don't be shy.
: (blocking) This is unblockable!
: Come on! Fight!

We stand on the left side of the screen, and our opponent(s) on the right.

Fairly standard stuff so far. Select how we want to attack, and our target.

However, here's where the fun part comes in. You see, South Park the Stick of Truth uses a special combat system. Timed hits.

: Oh hell yeah! Clyde's your bitch!
: That all you got?

Mercifully the game shows you when to hit A. But, because the system is timed hits, you can do badly. If you do so, Cartman will berate you.

: Oh my god. It's Butters all over again. Okay, look. Try putting your back into it at the last possible moment.
: (sigh) Try it again. Focus right before you strike.
: Alright, gently caress it, one more time. You can't possibly be this lame.
: Okay, so you are that lame. Let's just skip ahead.

: All right, Clyde's wearing armor. In order to hurt him, I want you to hit Clyde as hard as you can.

: Oh poo poo, dude, I think I see blood! loving nice, brah! That's exactly what you do to guys with armor like that.

Supposing that you failed to hit X at the proper time, Cartman has more words of encouragement.

: POWER Attack, Douchebag. You need to really hurt Clyde.
: If that was a Power Attack, how come Clyde isn't crying? Let's go!
: Super weak, dude. I don't even wanna think about what I just witnessed. Let's move on.

: Okay, listen up. The key to surviving in battle is not to get hit in the balls. Clyde, it's your turn to attack. Douchebag, protect your balls!

The timing on this is a little more strict. So unlike the previous two, you may not get this the first time.

: Prepare yourself!

: Die!
: Suck it!
: Critical hit!
: This does double damage!

Clyde will randomly say one of these while attacking you.

: Yes!! That's what I'm talking about. Dude, you're already WAY better than Clyde.

Alternatively...

: No, no, I said PROTECT. PROTECT your balls.
: No, that's not blocking, that's sucking. Try again.
: Alright, you know what, never mind about blocking. It's - not that important. Just let them hit you, it's fine.

This line is very important. Unlike Paper Mario, there are no perfect blocks. Blocking will reduce a lot of the incoming damage, though. So you should always try.

: All right. It is time to use your heroic powers. Using your ability takes power points, or PP for short.

PP is just our supply of mana.

: Hehehehe, PP.
: IF YOU HAVE A loving BETTER NAME FOR THEM THEN loving SAY IT, CLYDE! loving rear end in a top hat! I'M THE KING, AND I SAY IT'S PP! Douchebag, use your mage ability to make Clyde pay for insulting the king!

Regular attack is blacked out on the left, so we have to select abilities.

Dragon's Breath is an amazing skill, and only gets better as time goes on. It'll be my go-to ability for this LP for good reason.

Namely that reason.

: Way to wipe that smile off his stupid face, Douchebag. Now ... do it one more time. Finish him!
: What?! I was going easy. Take this!

Alternatively...

: Dude, that was pretty lame. Try it again, dude.
: Do you have some kind of problem with authoritah? Do what I told you, use your authoritah!
: Douchebag, that's not your heroic ability. Get serious.
: Did the loving elves send you? Did they send you to torment me? Let's try something else.

You have to try to not get it perfect with a mage. The timed hit is mashing the poo poo out of the A button. At this point we're left to finish Clyde off any way we choose to.

: Dick!
: Didn't count!
: I dodged that!

Apparently you can also die in this fight. I'm not sure how. If you manage to gently caress up that badly, Cartman has special dialogue.

: Oh my god, you loving died. Okay, I'm going to bring you back to life with this special potion

In my game, this is how Clyde went down:

: HAHA, HAHAHA! Dude that was awesome! You were all like BRAMMGMG! And Clyde was all like "aaghghg, noo"! Hahahaha! Okay, okay. You've proved yourself worthy, Douchebag. Now, come inside the war tent and I shall let you see the relic.

Now, we could follow Cartman, or we could do what we do best. Namely waste time.

: You fight pretty good, New Kid.

: (from inside tent) Douchebag? I ordered you into the war tent, Douchebag.

: I think the Grand Wizard wants you to meet him in the war tent.

Butters also has a bizarre amount of dialogue for looking at stuff without Cartman around.

: (if you observe the Wizard Stump) Boy, that stump's really something, huh?
: (if you observe the Wizard Stump) Why, without the stump I might never have joined up with the Legion in the first place.
: (if you hit the Pool of Vision sign) Careful. The Pool of Vision holds the secret to all our futures.
: (if you hit the Pool of Vision) Aw, come on, New Kid. We'll need that pool when summer comes.
: (if you climb the tower) What do you see? Can you see Heaven, or just houses and stuff?

Anyway, that's all for this time. Next time we get to see the mythical stick of truth. We also get more combat tutorials.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 22, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Have to say this game was a nice surprise to play, got kinda easy by the end but otherwise it's very solid

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm sad that we're not voting for which class we're going to play :(

Otherwise, looking forward to this let's play.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Coming from someone who'd seen about 3 episodes of South Park before playing the game, this is a really good game. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So glad this is finally getting a Let's Play here. It's a surprisingly great game that everyone should experience in some manner.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
It's a fun game. Shame it's wrapped up in South Park though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What can the Jews do*? And what's so racist about Kupa Keep? Unless there's an extra K-word there I'm not seeing.

*Oh, you know what I mean.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

CommissarMega posted:

And what's so racist about Kupa Keep? Unless there's an extra K-word there I'm not seeing.
Kingdom of Kupa Keep.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

CommissarMega posted:

What can the Jews do*? And what's so racist about Kupa Keep? Unless there's an extra K-word there I'm not seeing.

DoubleNegative posted:

Eric Cartman is the Grand Wizard of the Kingdom of Kupa Keep. This game is very mature and sophisticated.

Edit: beaten while scrolling through the quote.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

CommissarMega posted:

What can the Jews do*?

Jews are this game's Cleric archetype.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This is such a good game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doc Morbid posted:

Kingdom of Kupa Keep.

Ooooh, I get it now :downs:

Spikey posted:

Jews are this game's Cleric archetype.

Ah, right then. Let me guess, they can afford proper healthcare or something :haw:

I'm sorry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Ooooh, I get it now :downs:

Ah, right then. Let me guess, they can afford proper healthcare or something :haw:

I'm sorry.

They do get a move where you bust out your kung-fu. It's called "Jew Jitsu"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Honestly, I haven't liked the show for years (the first few seasons are still my favorites and I occasionally rewatch those), but this game is pretty great and I wish it had existed when I was 12 years old. Instead, I had to play the South Park FPS by Acclaim. :gonk:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

kalonZombie posted:

Not empty-quoting this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

kalonZombie posted:

South Park's not that bad, it's just consistently hit-and-miss.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I 100%ed this game, playing it twice. It's a cute enough game that if you know just a little, it is still enjoyable. More so though if you've seen the should as there a PLENTY of little easter eggs and references around. Hopefully the OP will show off all he can recognize.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have never watched South Park much, but I know the showrunners must be cool people because they upload every single episode to their website, free to watch for most of the world.

I'll follow along with this LP because I heard this game is surprisingly good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
God, I feel terrible just asking this, but is there any special dialog from Cartman if you're a black Jew?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

God, I feel terrible just asking this, but is there any special dialog from Cartman if you're a black Jew?

Doesn't appear so, no. Selecting the class just gets you the usual "We'll never really be friends" line.

I also took this as an opportunity to go back through and get Cartman's lines about the Pool of Vision.

: Ah yes, the Pool of Vision. Beautiful, isn't it?
: Do not disturb the sacred waters!
: You're messing with powers you don't understand.
: MOM! The New Kid keeps trying to pop the Pool of Vision!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Leavemywife posted:

You're probably not the first and you're certainly not the last person who will feel terrible for asking a question about this game. Even if the answer is negative.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

There is a special line for the Jew if you have skin tone "Jersey Tan"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does Cartman have any lines in general if you're black (throughout the game)? Also, a black guy joining the KKK reminds me of a Chappelle skit.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Leavemywife posted:

He does have a line if you're a black thief, I believe. Been a while since I've played the game,of course,so I could be wrong.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

mauman posted:

There is a special line for the Jew if you have skin tone "Jersey Tan"

There is so much text in this game you'd almost never see.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yup, that's the one.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It really shows the level of detail they put in.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Oh man, now I remember that Grand Wizard is supposed to be one of the higher ranks in the KKK :doh:

You gotta hand it to Cartman, when he's set on being a horrible little rear end in a top hat he really goes all out,

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is all that text voice acted?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I remember "I'm sorry, did you say, Douche-Bag?" being voice acted, at least.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Yes. This entire game is voiced. When DN posts and you see a character's picture, that character is also speaking the lines. I wanna say they got all the voice actors from the show to voice their chars in the game, except for one or two (which are spoiler to say who), but they could be sound a likes. I didn't pay close enough attention to the credits.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This game was hilarious. I'll be watching this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Lizard Wizard posted:

South Park's not that bad, it's just consistently hit-and-miss.

To elucidate on that, Cartman being the Grand Wizard of the KKK I find hilarious since it's relatively clever.
I hate the literal potty humor aspect of it though.

I do look forward to the rest of this LP since it looks good (and the potty humor keeps me from buying the game.)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Ben Kasack posted:

Yes. This entire game is voiced. When DN posts and you see a character's picture, that character is also speaking the lines. I wanna say they got all the voice actors from the show to voice their chars in the game, except for one or two (which are spoiler to say who), but they could be sound a likes. I didn't pay close enough attention to the credits.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't get the voice actors considering that the game was written by the show's writers.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
This looks interesting, I will definitely follow this thread.

So, South Parks particular brand of crazy I can deal with, and in general I like RPGs. Still deciding if I should get it or just enjoy it vicariously through the LP. Any recommendation?

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think, generally speaking, it'd be worth it for the feeling of "playing an episode". It really nails that feel and when some of the jokes come at you later on in the game... well, let's just say that it's extremely funny to play through.
The general gameplay is also quite fun though very simple. They did a pretty good job of making a really simple RPG system that still manages to be decent fun.

Not very replayable though but yeah, I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who doesn't actively dislike South Park. It's one of very few humor games that manages to be funny.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'd be really surprised if they didn't get the voice actors considering that the game was written by the show's writers.

Hell, the show's writers even do some of the voices. Cartman's voice I know is just one of them speaking with some after-effects placed over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

As far as I know, Trey Parker and Matt Stone do all the male voices in South Park.

edit: and since I hear it in my head every goddamn time I see the thread title, here's the opening song from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4zx3UHwxvc

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread