Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Also you said dex is hardest which is only true depending on the player.
Thankfully, we have a newbie player so I'd generally find it safe to assume that builds requiring to dodge or parry are more difficult to them than builds where you can negate most incoming damage by holding a button or than builds where you kill most enemies within the whole game by pressing a button once per enemy. Never did I claim that parrying is easier than dodging, since I generally find parrying to be attributed to dexterity builds in particular. As for stamina managing, it's skill about as difficult as feeding yourself in real life. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Use the grass shield, that's the easiest build op

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

This is from earlier, but I really like this guy's liberal use of the term "weaboo bucks".

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'm going out to retro game stores to trawl for young Weeaboo bucks

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bloodychill posted:

:yikes:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

bloodychill posted:

explain to them that you are drawn to their ki, yet your jikan hyoo does not have room for omoshiroi na bishounen.

then begin to translate this for them. find the one who stops you because he already knows. bingo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

I have to say that his is a very weird phenomenon . Like the other week I was at a retro game store and there was a 9 year old asking about a Turbografix 16 because he wanted to play splatterhouse.

When TG16 was a current system most kids under 10 never gave a gently caress about it. He apparently gave the clerk a hard time too because they didn't have splatter house or a complete TG16 and they suggested the PS3 collection instead. He rejected it because the feeling wouldn't be authentic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

splatterhouse transcends generations

Actually it's kind of neat to think that with the Internet and videos pretty much anyone at any time can see some old game and go 'this needs to be played how do I play'

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Splatterhouse reboot was a good game and it included the original trilogy as well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Black August posted:

splatterhouse transcends generations

Actually it's kind of neat to think that with the Internet and videos pretty much anyone at any time can see some old game and go 'this needs to be played how do I play'

And kids still have opinions about what is better Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo.

They're the reason why poo poo is too expensive these days.

Accordion Man posted:

The Splatterhouse reboot was a good game and it included the original trilogy as well.

That's what they suggested to him, the collection was also 6 dollars compared to spending a few hundred for an old system and a few hundred for the games.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lol if you think anyone under the age of 35 gives a poo poo about authentic retro gaming

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

icantfindaname posted:

lol if you think anyone under the age of 35 gives a poo poo about authentic retro gaming

I've seen some weird poo poo.

I blame the youtubes. Then again I'm also under 35 and my collection could rival most.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

lol if you think anyone under 25, at a B&M gaming store, cares enough about their money to avoid spending hundreds needlessly

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jon Do posted:

lol if you think anyone under 25, at a B&M gaming store, cares enough about their money to avoid spending hundreds needlessly

ok I'll agree to this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wasting all your stamina blocking a single hit then dying to the follow-up is totally harder than invincibly rolling behind the enemy with one button press and dodging both. But yeah, please give terrible advice to someone who had trouble with the game.

Real tips for dark souls:
Pyromancy is stat independent, so get that poo poo. You level it up by giving the dude who gives it to you souls.

Try every weapon out to see its moveset. If you don't meet the stat requirements you do it slowly but still see the moveset. This is way more important than stats.

Knight starts with good armor, healing, a good shield, and a pretty decent weapon.

Cleric also has healing, and the mace is amazing.

If you take black firebombs you can kill the tutorial boss the first time you meet it. You get a terrible weapon but it speeds the game along.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Welp looks like Overwatch is going to be E-Sports game #5

Diablo 3 is the only game that's fun at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Wasting all your stamina blocking a single hit then dying to the follow-up is totally harder than invincibly rolling behind the enemy with one button press and dodging both. But yeah, please give terrible advice to someone who had trouble with the game.

Real tips for dark souls:
U mad, also let's just agree to disagree on our opinions with regards to newbies' ability to dodge at the correct time and in the correct direction. Other than that, it's amusing to notice that real tips mainly consist of shield and magic, just as content of a certain post. :v:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Looper posted:

the fact that the dude who made cave story originally just threw it out on the internet for free still blows my mind

He and the Shovel Knight guys are the only indie developers who actually deserve respect.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He and the Shovel Knight guys are the only indie developers who actually deserve respect.
B-but what about poor, oppressed Phil Fish?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think the Shovel Knight guy, the Nuclear Throne guys, Toby, and Pixel are the only indie devs I respect

But let's be real and qualify that by saying I don't read game news apart from major stuff that bleeds through so I don't even know enough about any other developer to like/dislike them

I just wish it went back to old times where the only developer you 'knew' was John Romero being an rear end in a top hat, I'm tired of dev celeb stuff, just give me games and go away

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
gently caress the retro hippies at the moment driving up 16 bit prices

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

theultimo posted:

gently caress the retro hippies at the moment driving up 16 bit prices

It's just insane even the extremely common games like sports titles are fetching over 5 dollars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't help but feel there's some kind of alternative to buying these extremely old games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

I can't help but feel there's some kind of alternative to buying these extremely old games.

Stuff I want to get hasn't been released in digital form or in a newer physical format.

I was fortunate enough to find a 20 dollar complete copy of Burning Rangers. I've already got the majority of noteworthy SNES and Genesis titles in some form. But the later post genesis pre-dreamcast stuff does not emulate well or has been released.

And Nintendo is just balls at releasing compilations or stuff on the e-shop. I was looking at getting both NES Zelda carts just for the sake of completion but you're looking at around 40-50 bucks to get both, I just said gently caress it and stuck with my Zelda Anthology disc.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 30, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

if I could get my hands on a modern system port of the N64 Goemon games I would have done it long by now dude

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
And gamestop is charging like 60-70 bucks for Ogre Battle 64 and Gold Cart n64 Zeldas.

I'm glad I picked mine up used when they were going for 20 and under, same with Link to the Past.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's just insane even the extremely common games like sports titles are fetching over 5 dollars.

Jesus, even modern sports games are only 5 bucks 3 months after release. And they at least play well unlike all 2d sports games ever.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Black August posted:

I just wish it went back to old times where the only developer you 'knew' was John Romero being an rear end in a top hat, I'm tired of dev celeb stuff, just give me games and go away

The celeb stuff is lame but there have always been developers I really liked and respected who made good games. Sid Meier, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Romero and Carmack to some degree...

I respect all the indie developers these days because of the amount of effort they put in to making games I enjoy. For their work that I enjoyed, basically. That's how I can respect Phish and Jonathan Blow as developers even though as dudes, they're kind of hilarious big babies.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So after all that DOAX3 is coming to America.

This was just an attempt to pull the panties over our eyes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Taint Reaper posted:

So after all that DOAX3 is coming to America.

This was just an attempt to pull the panties over our eyes.

Pretty sure you post poo poo like this just so that we have to google fact check and read hilariously terrible poo poo like this.

Though the HuniePop guy offering 1mil for the rights to publish DOAX3 in the west because of his "passion for the subject matter" is sad and hilarious.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nasgate posted:

And they at least play well unlike all 2d sports games ever.

what are you talking about?? all sports games became utter garbage once they entered the third dimension

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bloodychill posted:

Though the HuniePop guy offering 1mil for the rights to publish DOAX3 in the west because of his "passion for the subject matter" is sad and hilarious.

I too have passion for the topic of ways to funnel money out of nerds.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

kalstrams posted:

B-but what about poor, oppressed Phil Fish?

Probably you are joking about that but yes, the world needs more Fez.

Mak0rz posted:

what are you talking about?? all sports games became utter garbage once they entered the third dimension

:hf:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

bloodychill posted:

Pretty sure you post poo poo like this just so that we have to google fact check and read hilariously terrible poo poo like this.

you don't actually 'have' to dive into the exciting world of gamergate anime posters. that's your personal choice

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If your sports game doesn't have a super meter or power-ups it can go f itself.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
hey guys this game is pretty fun and it's on sale at the moment:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can confirm that that game is pretty sweet. It nails the feeling of dungeons and dragons style dungeon crawls, where it's less about the overall adventure and more about surviving the current situation.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Counterpoint: NBA Street, NFL Blitz, and Rocket League.

Your move.

Edit: I forgot Backyard Baseball. Heeeyyy batter batter batter.
Mario sport games get honorable mentions because despite them ranging in quality there are no 2d sports games remotely as good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

If your sports game doesn't have a super meter or power-ups it can go f itself.

Even the ones that don't are good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The free updates to Shovel Knight were them fulfilling stretch goals from their Kickstarter, not something they're doing out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Locked thread