Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Welp, played for a few more hours and finally just deleted the game from my PS4. $60 for 15-ish hours of okay gaming time. Hope everyone else keeps enjoying the game, but I gave it a week and it just never got any better. Live and learn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The trick to fighter squadron is to slowly follow the falcon/slave 1 and just get free kill after kill. Also hunt players. You can see if a fighter is a player from any distance by hovering your reticle on the red dot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I played for like four hours yesterday after buying it on impulse and it was pretty fun. Also I played it on PS4 in Australia and I only waited like 10 seconds to get into any given game. Sucks about the lack of team balancing though.

Also I'm not really sure what the point of any of the modes where you're just a dude on the ground with no vehicles or heroes are for.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just experimented with lowering my sensitivity, and it's like night and day. If you're having trouble killing people try dropping your sensitivity by at least 8-10%

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Cardboard Box A posted:

Sure - but for Battlefront pretty much every video review/complaint is like that.

Not sure what this proves, other than people on the internet like to whine about poo poo.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

moosecow333 posted:

I just experimented with lowering my sensitivity, and it's like night and day. If you're having trouble killing people try dropping your sensitivity by at least 8-10%

I agree this helps. I started at 25%, then lowered it by 5% every few matches. I'm now sitting at 10%. Strafing battles are much easier with lower sensitivity, but doing a 180 requires my whole arm. Oh well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

bewilderment posted:

Also I'm not really sure what the point of any of the modes where you're just a dude on the ground with no vehicles or heroes are for.

Those modes do a valuable service of attracting the MLG tryhard groups away from modes that are fun.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Kelly posted:

What's the protective bubble I keep seeing around people? Is that one of the traits?

Oh that's called bullshit and it's bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slim Killington posted:

Oh that's called bullshit and it's bullshit.

The last couple of times I've encountered players using that we've simultaneously killed each other with melee. I'm not sure how that's possible, but :battlefront: I guess. Regardless, it cracks me up. :)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

They're short matches that are good to either warm-up before or decompress after Walker Assault.
Heroes vs Villains is the best of those. Personally I prefer to fill the roll with fighter squadron.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Here's a cool thing that happened that most people will never get to see as it's very situational. I was playing rebel, and Vader walks up and force chokes me. I'm suddenly dangling in mid-air and gasping for breath. Usually this means instant death, the force choke is a one button kill of a rebel foot soldier. Turns out Vader was on a sliver of health and someone killed him before he finished choking me and I found myself back on my feet and back in the fight.

It's pretty awesome they thought of this and tied the point of death to the end of the animation just on the off chance someone might be able to interrupt it. Now I can boast that I was choked by Vader and lived to tell the tale. So good, this game.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Are goons still trying to prove that people who like this game shouldn't/don't actually like this game.

because lol.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My favorite small detail so far is that when playing a non-human and you get a fighter pickup, you call for air support in your alien language.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

Are goons still trying to prove that people who like this game shouldn't/don't actually like this game.

because lol.

There is the occasional poo poo poster who feels they have to police what other people like with :goonsay:, but it's mostly dropped off from that one guy who was crying wolf about the digital equivalent of on disc DLC.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Moartoast posted:

because lol.

Someone always does this with everything, it's not just a goons and games thing.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

Someone always does this with everything, it's not just a goons and games thing.

Everyone has different opinions and not everyone realizes this and feels the dumbies must learn better. This is how human conflict has always been.

The Internet maximizes this due to its stream of consciousness tendencies.

Battlefront is very fun despite it being awfully balanced. And I'm sad for goons who don't enjoy it. I will agree that I think over 45 dollars is too much.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
The game is a little sparse for my tastes but I'm hopeful on the rumors of more free DLC coming besides Jakku. Any details on that yet or is it pure speculation?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'd really like to see the Imperial get some free or cheap camo skin. The rebels have a huge advantage on jungle maps with their free green armor versus white storm troopers. Rebels are pretty hard to see on those maps compared to Imperial.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Cop gay. So What posted:

The game is a little sparse for my tastes but I'm hopeful on the rumors of more free DLC coming besides Jakku. Any details on that yet or is it pure speculation?

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Patrick Söderlund, Executive Vice President, EA Studios posted:

Of course, we are also planning to support Star Wars Battlefront with new content well into the future. We will be adding more of what you love about the game, like new maps and Star Cards, for free in the coming months, in addition to all of the content we have coming with Season Pass. We’ll have more to share soon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This game is great and I will fight you irl if you don't think so too.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Beautiful.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Isometric Bacon posted:

As some one who fits both of those categories with pretty average internet, I've been having no trouble whatsoever. Games populate immediately and I'm in.

I feel for him though. During the prerelease when playing early I had similar issues finding poulated games, and the lovely matchmaking system only confused the matter. It doesn't put much faith into the game once the population thins out a bit.
PC and Australia ( Hobart ). I've had mates who play on PS4 that they almost never have to wait, and I did manage to finally get a few hours in of playing Supremacy, but it just seems to be a struggle more often than not.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I think when he says "more free content", all he is talking about is the Jakku stuff.

The only stuff they've mentioned are the free Jakku stuff, and the two paid DLC packs.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
^^^^ No, he specifically talks about Jakku and then the quote is an addition saying free star cards and maps in the future. It's clearly worded as separate from the Jakku stuff.

Nasgate posted:

My favorite small detail so far is that when playing a non-human and you get a fighter pickup, you call for air support in your alien language.

These past few days I've seen most of the alien races roaming the battlefield, and they seem to be equally verbose as the humans. It's pretty great that there are 7 non-human species chattering away in all these languages. I'm only rank 31 so haven't had a chance to check, but I'm going to assume they do all the spoken emote lines in their native languages too? Anyone?

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 30, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I hope we get some customisation for the aliens. At least some palette swaps for skin colour

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Most of the actual imbalances are off of a map design angle I feel. Fighter squad is about the only setup where I feel that there are some legit "needs to be changed" numbers, mostly on hero ships and a-wings.

For general changes I'd like to see two things.
Hero power-ups should be weighted to replace nearer to your side's spawn. Having them be literally in the "can't go that far" area can put your team in a lovely spot.
Y-wing phase should have new spawns for each side. Having it spawn you inside a building and 5-10 seconds from being able to do anything is really lovely, especially when there is another spawn that would put you in a good spot. Maybe even a set of alternate spawn spots so one team can't just camp the hell out of the other side (first phase on endor a solid imperial team can take almost no damage from tons of y-wings. In fact, it probably is better to let them have a bunch of y-wings first phase, so they don't get as much time to collect for 2nd).

Most of the map issues could be helped by tweaking spawn/out-of-bounds/power-up locations/turret spots. Endor pretty much needs a camo pattern for the empire and more health on the walker, or a longer time for y-wing lock-on would probably be better. The sullust map needs to put an inside path on the right side of the map to the 2nd phase indoor uplink and the turbolaser respawn time increased. Hoth should probably have the radar dish spots tweaked so that you have less time to be hitting the weak spot on the walkers and have to settle for the normal hit. Tatooine could use something to help the rebels for phase 2 attacking, I almost never see any real damage done there.

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.

Parkingtigers posted:

^^^^ No, he specifically talks about Jakku and then the quote is an addition saying free star cards and maps in the future. It's clearly worded as separate from the Jakku stuff.

These past few days I've seen most of the alien races roaming the battlefield, and they seem to be equally verbose as the humans. It's pretty great that there are 7 non-human species chattering away in all these languages. I'm only rank 31 so haven't had a chance to check, but I'm going to assume they do all the spoken emote lines in their native languages too? Anyone?

Can confirm. The Sullustan does the best Tusken impression too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I liked the suggestion made by one youtuber about letting people choose between a left or right spawn. That alone would fix a a lot of issues, and you're already choosing whether to spawn on a partner or not so picking how you respawn is already a thing. The main problem I have is that I may be choosing to push up the left side of the map, killing and dying and respawning to push on again. Suddenly the respawn puts me over on the right side of the map and I need to either waste time crossing back to my chosen attack path, or I need to throw out that plan and reorient myself for a new attack in terrain where I'm uncertain of enemy position or recent movements.

It's not a huge dealbreaker, I can and do just roll with whatever it throws at me, but it doesn't seem to be against the casual attitude to simply let me choose which of two positions to spawn at rather than just giving me a choice of one. Vader's camping the right spawn? Fine, I'll go left, problem solved.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 30, 2015

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

There have been multiple instances where I've activated my jump pack right before I get killed and get to watch my laser man ragdoll into a wall and/or ricochet off a tree and it never ever gets old. This game owns.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

ZypherIM posted:

Hero power-ups should be weighted to replace nearer to your side's spawn. Having them be literally in the "can't go that far" area can put your team in a lovely spot.
They keep populating new spawns until they're eventually taken, they don't just appear in one spot and sit there. That's why sometimes you can be running at one and about to grab it when it suddenly disappears and becomes a regular powerup, someone on the other side of the map grabbed another spawn of it.

I like having to fight forward to get things like the AT-ATs, there's usually one easy nearby to grab and one you have to get up in the rebel's faces for. Gives you a proper goal, not 'oh I died, guess I'll just be an at-at now'.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tim Burns Effect posted:

There have been multiple instances where I've activated my jump pack right before I get killed and get to watch my laser man ragdoll into a wall and/or ricochet off a tree and it never ever gets old. This game owns.
It's an accurate representation of Boba Fett's inglorious death, which I am still kind of amazed didn't get edited into something cooler in all the stupid revisions of the movie.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So a decent way to examine the game is how Hoth has changed since release.

In beta and early on folllowing release Hoth was near to a free win for the Imperials. This is because of the natural way in which Walker Assault plays out with new people. If the rebels don't play the objective, the imps basically auto win since no Y-wings spawn. Further, the X-wings and A-wings which are crucial to rebel wins get overrun incredibly quickly. Finally the AT-STs did a tonne of work because there were no rebel ships in the sky.

Moving on, as people have gotten used to the game and levelled up, the Rebels have begun to play objectives and people are using shield generators and Leia a lot more to hold the Uplinks. Also I /think/ rebel players are beginning to realise that if they hold just one uplink for the entire game they'll win. So the Imperials now have to do the body of work to get in. The other thing is that as people have levelled more people have access to Jump Pack/Personal Shield/Ion Torpedo/Bodyguard. Mostly this means for the Rebels that people who actually want to pilot can set up a build that lets them reliably get tokens and also that the rebels can reliably shoot down Tie-Fighters while they're in the air as well as take care of AT-STs.

So now we're seeing rebel air dominate the first two stages which means most AT-STs never leave the spawn. That creates a knock on effect whereby the Imperials never really create enough pressure to take two points and the rebels sail to victory.

The question then becomes, how do you nerf rebels and buff Imperials?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The question then becomes, how do you nerf rebels and buff Imperials?
Give the AT-ATs their beta HP back now that people know how to play

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Yesterday night I killed Luke with lightning as palpatine. Game owns so hard.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Last night on Endor supremacy, I was riding a speeder bike and killed Palpatine in an accidental hit and run. Game does indeed own very hard.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tune in to watch the live premier in London of... a trailer. 7pm GMT
http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/bat...67&sf42897442=1

Edit: Oh, gameplay stream too, still.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Jakku's releasing tomorrow for Season Pass holders anyways so eh.

I'm hoping that new mode features more than just Jakku because it actually sounds neat and really fitting for something like Endor.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

There should be more vehicles, like a landspeeder technical. Something between speeder bikes and AT-STs

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Metos posted:

They keep populating new spawns until they're eventually taken, they don't just appear in one spot and sit there. That's why sometimes you can be running at one and about to grab it when it suddenly disappears and becomes a regular powerup, someone on the other side of the map grabbed another spawn of it.

I like having to fight forward to get things like the AT-ATs, there's usually one easy nearby to grab and one you have to get up in the rebel's faces for. Gives you a proper goal, not 'oh I died, guess I'll just be an at-at now'.

I'm pretty sure it only goes away when someone else grabs one that is out. I'm also fairly sure there can only be a couple out? I've never seen more than 2, and I haven't seen one despawn without someone having grabbed one (they also just go away, they aren't immediately turned into a normal powerup). This is a result of moving away from static hero spawns, so now they aren't placed in a position of risk/safety based on the map, but random. Heroes can have a big enough impact that they should weight the spawn chances from purely random to favor either a middle ground or closer to the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cat Machine posted:

Give the AT-ATs their beta HP back now that people know how to play

This would help, and it would automatically balance Endor as well, since the AT AT in Endor desperately needs more health.

That said, one of my biggest gripes is people still not playing the objective. Partly this is because in Supremacy you only get points for fully capturing a point.

My suggestions in a nutshell:

- Award 250 per point capture in Supremacy, but divide it into 10 per tick for a total of 200 (or whatever per tick gives you 200 after a full circle) plus 50 bonus for full capture
- Reduce score per kill to the same score awarded per tick of capture (i.e. 10) to provide an incentive no to play Team Deathmatch in this objective based game mode (if this screws with progression, add a Kill bonus in the final score at round end similar to Game bonus to even it out and provide the same amount of credits and xp as before)
- In score display after the round is over, swap "Most Kills" down and instead present Highest Objective Score at the top to subconciously make idiots realize Objective Score is king, not killing (yes this sounds like a minor problem but I truly believe presenting most kills as top player is stupid if you want to motivate the average pubbie to play an objective
- Increase AT AT health
- Decrease Hero Ship health or reintroduce declining health over time (ships only)

• Locked thread