Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snatch Duster posted:

It took me like 30 years to pillage down the middle east. 9 hours or so at slow speed it was awful.

Don't play at slow speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was gonna say

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Don't play at slow speed?

Considering that the middle east has like 300 holdings, and having daily uprises, my computer was forced at 2 speed.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I really feel like I'm swimming upstream in my Ireland game. Due to a series of succession mishaps, I am now the Sultan of Ireland with just enough of Andalusia under my control to call it my own. Every once and a while I get interrupted by Muslims and revolts, but otherwise I'm just trying to go at it one County at a time.

Which is a little demoralizing, because I still don't get so much of the game. Like, at one point, seemingly out of nowhere, one of the counties in Ireland and one of my duchies in Scotland all ended up back under the control of the King of Scotland. So now that's a whole mess I'm gonna have to clean up before I can even get back to thinking about beating my head against the wall pushing further into Scotland.

I'm at around 1260 and I really want to see this game through, but I kind of feel like I've hit a point where, even when micromanaging traits, council assignments, plots, land assignments, and marriages, it's all I can do to just keep my kingdoms together.

My only joy in life is throwing imprisoned defectors into the oubliette.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I'll add a "Pillage all" button for 2.5 maybe if people ask me nicely.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Groogy posted:

Please, please, oh magnificent Groogy, add a pillage all button to the game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Please, please, oh magnificent Groogy, add a pillage all button to the game.

I'll add something that will ease your pain my child.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's already a suicide decision.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Freakus posted:

As nomad, is there any reason not to pillage all holdings into nothingness?

Edit: I see at least one reason why not. Hello 30% revolt risk!

I actually never found a reason to pillage as a nomad, except at very early game. Later on you are always swimming in money, is not worth the clicking effort IMHO.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GlitchThief posted:

I really feel like I'm swimming upstream in my Ireland game. Due to a series of succession mishaps, I am now the Sultan of Ireland with just enough of Andalusia under my control to call it my own. Every once and a while I get interrupted by Muslims and revolts, but otherwise I'm just trying to go at it one County at a time.

Which is a little demoralizing, because I still don't get so much of the game. Like, at one point, seemingly out of nowhere, one of the counties in Ireland and one of my duchies in Scotland all ended up back under the control of the King of Scotland. So now that's a whole mess I'm gonna have to clean up before I can even get back to thinking about beating my head against the wall pushing further into Scotland.

I'm at around 1260 and I really want to see this game through, but I kind of feel like I've hit a point where, even when micromanaging traits, council assignments, plots, land assignments, and marriages, it's all I can do to just keep my kingdoms together.

My only joy in life is throwing imprisoned defectors into the oubliette.

Maybe sit back and go with the flow for a bit. It's a game, so it feels like there is always pressure to expand but in real life power ebbs and flows. Wait for a good opportunity. Unless you have sunset invasion on, you can take your time.

As for the county and duchy thing what happened? Did land inherit out of your kingdom or did your duke inherit Scotland?

I always try to set up family members with land because they're a bit easier to deal with. Small chance they'll kill you for inheritance but then you get to play as them anyway so that even bad.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Groogy posted:

I'll add something that will ease your pain my child.

I'm not sure if you've been bothered by these streamers already but I was watching this "doge of the hill" youtube multiplayer series and some things went quite wrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBRS5wxeCo&t=15m20s

I bugreported a similar thing happening more than a year ago when as a republic, a relative of mine went to another republic's court and managed to become a patrician there. What happened was that both republics' republic tabs got merged the same way, except that my family was generated a new mansion with no upgrades.

Republics are buggy when they happen to interact with each other :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I'm never gonna remember anything on a random post in a random forum, but I do believe for this specific case that we do have that bug in our internal tracking-system so just a matter of time before it gets fixed.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Maybe sit back and go with the flow for a bit. It's a game, so it feels like there is always pressure to expand but in real life power ebbs and flows. Wait for a good opportunity. Unless you have sunset invasion on, you can take your time.

As for the county and duchy thing what happened? Did land inherit out of your kingdom or did your duke inherit Scotland?

I always try to set up family members with land because they're a bit easier to deal with. Small chance they'll kill you for inheritance but then you get to play as them anyway so that even bad.

Y'know, I wasn't sure, but a duke inheriting Scotland actually seems like a viable possibility. I haven't had much luck getting a lock on what's going down in Scotland in the middle of trying to hold back all the revolts and dealing with the mess that was left for me in Andalusia when I switched to the dynasty member that holds that sultanate. However, I do know that my vassals in that area have had a pretty mixed up and cozy relationship with Scottish royalty due to some clever marriage and claim-pressing in the past. I really gotta get a leash for these fuckers.

Anyway, I'm going to take your advice and go with the flow for a bit. As is apparent, I'm still learning a lot of the game, but the advice from this thread has gotten me further than I would have hoped. Really, if I end the game with Ireland still completely under my dynasty's control, I would consider this game a win.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Groogy posted:

A "Pillage until razed" option, that automatically pillages until the holding is gone would be less of a nuclear option, though I can't think of a case where I'd want to leave a holding held but unpillaged.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I actually never found a reason to pillage as a nomad, except at very early game. Later on you are always swimming in money, is not worth the clicking effort IMHO.
I can't think of a much better way to get tech points, as a nomad, other than a) stationing your spymaster somewhere like Constantinople and leeching their tech points, which only works until you subjugate them, or b) keeping some duke/king vassals to generate tech points, which requires non-totally-razed duchies to give them. More importantly, it gets you empty holdings/population/manpower, which you kinda need as a horde. There's also the fact that utterly razed counties will not revolt, but that's only really a problem if you're already pillaging the poo poo out of them.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

darthbob88 posted:

I can't think of a much better way to get tech points, as a nomad, other than a) stationing your spymaster somewhere like Constantinople and leeching their tech points, which only works until you subjugate them, or b) keeping some duke/king vassals to generate tech points, which requires non-totally-razed duchies to give them. More importantly, it gets you empty holdings/population/manpower, which you kinda need as a horde. There's also the fact that utterly razed counties will not revolt, but that's only really a problem if you're already pillaging the poo poo out of them.

I just parked my spymaster anywhere "developed". Tech points arent that important anyway, and seems even less as a nomad.

As for empty holdings, the ones I got without the need for pillaging were more than enough for me. I was never in a situation where really needed to raise my max population. Instead, I often gave away counties with empty holdings to vassal khans to lower it, since you need to be at 90% max pop to have access to the Invasion CB, which is the best CB.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I picked this game up a while ago and just started playing. Regarding stealing tech points, Is that something you do early game, cause every time I try everything is grayed out and it won't let me stick him anywhere. Or do I just click Scheme, stick my spymaster in my capital and leave him there forever.

EDIT: Starting in Ireland 1066 that is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stick him on "build spy network" and plop him down where whoever you're trying to stab lives.

But yes, stealing tech is definitely more of an early-game thing than late-game - at the start, you can usually steal tech from the capitals of big nations (since they usually start ahead of you tech-wise), the Byzantines being the usual choice. Once you start blobbing, the player typically catches up to everyone else, so you don't get as much opportunity.

That said, though, the tech spread you get isn't too relevant unless you're seriously backwards, the big benefit from studying technology is the events it enables that give you 50 free tech points.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Natalya Fartz posted:

I picked this game up a while ago and just started playing. Regarding stealing tech points, Is that something you do early game, cause every time I try everything is grayed out and it won't let me stick him anywhere. Or do I just click Scheme, stick my spymaster in my capital and leave him there forever.
Is he leading troops elsewhere? That's the usual reason you can't send councillors off on a mission. Otherwise, yeah, as Jabor says.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I decided to try something Ive realized I never done: shia. But not only any shia, I want to restore the Fatimid dynasty to its deserved glory, destroying both the Abbasid and the Ummayad and establishing a shia caliphate in all Persia, Arabian Peninsula, North Africa and Iberia.

So to achieve this I choose the Fatimid guy who is Emir of Damascus, vassal of the Abbasid, in the old gods start. It as challenging game, to say the least.

Unfortunately, the fucker sucks. He has awful stats all around, including 0 martial, which means he is weaker than all its neighbours, even though Damascus is one of the biggest duchies in the empire. The only strength I have is an excelent income, around 10g, which is an awesome number for a duchy in early game. But being a shia inside the Abbasid Caliphate, surrounded by sunnis, this is not enough.

First I though I could stay inside the empire for a while by keeping good relations with the caliph: it does not works. He will start revoking my titles after a couple of years, even if I keep our relations at 100. Fortunately, right at the start there is an independence faction with 150% strength, which goes over 200% if I join. So I did and restarted until the caliph just accepted the demands (because if he dont, the revolt will always lose, in spite of being supposedly stronger than him).

After getting independent, Ive waited for a while filling by treasury, than started eating the other duchies around me (some of then also got independent at the same revolt), using mercs when needed. All the time I left my chancellor with the caliph, keeping our relations at 100 so he will not attack me.

I worked for some time. Ive grew enough to create a custom kingdom with my first ruler, so the Sultanate of Fatimah was born. I made all the alliances I could: Egypt, Africa, Mauretania (who also became shia), Khiva . Ive managed to live long enough and leave a decent heir with decent stats. Sultan Muhammad IV eventually accumulated enough piety to create the shia caliph title, so phase 1 completed, whooray for me:

But now Im on a bad situation. There is almost no place else to expand around: its either attacking the Abbasid (impossible) or this monophysite duke to the north (impossible: it was formed by some adventurer and has even more armies than the Abbasid). Worst yet, after a succession my relation with the new Abbasid emperor is -30, so he will launch an invasion on me (which means game over) before I can become friends with him again. Ive tried this war some times: it doenst seems I can win, even using all my money on mercs (I got around 9K army, the Abbasid has 22K). None of my allies but Mauretania will help (cause they are all sunni), and Mauretania is too far and losing a war to Africa.

Ive tried swearing to the caliph to avoid the war: bad idea, he will just start revoking all my titles immediately. Other than that, what else can I do? Any suggestions? The only thing I can think now is swearing to the Bizantine Empire.

BONUS: look at this crazy poo poo

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 1, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

The only thing I can think now is swearing to the Bizantine Empire.

I think that's pretty much the only hope you have left. All the problems you described is exactly why I picked the 3-county duke of Tunis in my 1066 start as an Ibadi, to see if I can't make my name there as such. When I neared getting the full Sultanate of Africa (and slightly after cheat-switching to a Republic), I was still careful as all hell, since I had the Shia clown car to the east and the Sunni clown car to the west. When I declared holy war on the west for the last de jure duchy, I only did so when the two biggest Sunni neighbors were at war with each other, since I knew that meant they'd be too busy to fight me off with the biggest one specifically being forbidden of joining as an ally of one they were at war with and I STILL just barely won with my mercs. And while I was busy doing this, it still meant giving up the eastern Cyrenicae to the Shias.

But setting yourself up like this, surrounded by just one big badass motherfucker? Unless you have a long-term plan to put yourself under some other ruler (like the Byzantines maybe) that won't just screw you over for protection, yea...it's destined to not work out. :(

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 1, 2015

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

From those screenshots you have enough money for bribes, could you stab the Abbasid ruler? A child in charge might cause them to civil war and let you eat bits of them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Brief Dev Diary about changes to the Laws screen.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Patrat posted:

From those screenshots you have enough money for bribes, could you stab the Abbasid ruler? A child in charge might cause them to civil war and let you eat bits of them.

It might be an option, if war was not imminent. But like how he described it? Way too unreliable I think, especially since the whole insta-murder for hundreds of gold option got removed. Even if you get 100-200% plot power on the Abbasid Caliph (very hard most likely), sometimes the RNG just makes it so that it doesn't trigger for 2 or 3 years. Even if a child takes over by then, I dunno...very dicey.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CrazyLoon posted:

It might be an option, if war was not imminent. But like how he described it? Way too unreliable I think, especially since the whole insta-murder for hundreds of gold option got removed. Even if you get 100-200% plot power on the Abbasid Caliph (very hard most likely), sometimes the RNG just makes it so that it doesn't trigger for 2 or 3 years. Even if a child takes over by then, I dunno...very dicey.

Yeah, I dont think I will have time for that, unless I load an earlier save. I will try some more at night, but right now the Byzantine option still seems more promising.

drat hard game I choose this time, perhaps the hardest Ive ever tried. If it was ironman I would have given up already.

But the Fatimid dynasty will prevail :jihad:

EDIT: that screenshot is a bit old: by the time the Abbasid declare war on me, I have around 1200 gold and have taken that county on the middle and the one in the north (bordering the Byz). I think I might still have chance at the war, by getting a loan and than expelling the jews and then hiring all mercs I can. I will try that too.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 1, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

no shame in loading an earlier save

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

That's kinda neat. I wonder what the rest of the laws section will look like.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh. I always played the Shia guy in Mecca and then just conquested my way through the Empire one by one. Dunno if they've changed things around since then; the position is good, lets you expand into the lame christians to the west or even towards India if you fabricate there.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000
Is it just me or are nomads insanely powerful? Abbasid declared a holy war on me 3 times, each time I repelled their 30k stack with just 10k troops. Eventually I was able to get my empire calm enough (so much pillaging) to invade Persia, which was a trivial matter.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
EDIT: ^^^ yes they are. Devs says they are going to get heavily nerfed the next patch, though.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh. I always played the Shia guy in Mecca and then just conquested my way through the Empire one by one. Dunno if they've changed things around since then; the position is good, lets you expand into the lame christians to the west or even towards India if you fabricate there.

Yeah, that sure looks a lot easier. But he inst a Fatimid is he? Is part of my challenge.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

EDIT: ^^^ yes they are. Devs says they are going to get heavily nerfed the next patch, though.

Yeah, that sure looks a lot easier. But he inst a Fatimid is he? Is part of my challenge.

No, he's a Hashimid/Hashemite. The fourth big Muslim dynasty, together with the Abbasids, Umayyad and Fatimids. The game makes the Prophet part of the Hashimid dynasty, too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can still excommunicate people, but there's not much point since if the pope dislikes them and likes you then you can usually get a claim on their poo poo instead. Or just tap pope money at every opportunity, which is what the AI does, which is why the AI never bothers excommunicating anyone either. It's still technically in the game but it's basically a deprecated mechanic since SoA.

One thing that's still occasionally useful is if you can have a fucknut vassal excommunicated it gives you justification to throw his rear end in the dungeon.

Or offing inbred seducers. I've had two of the (literal) motherfuckers and I kept seeing their inbred spawn pop up everywhere, and I finally just got sick of it and had them excommunicated. Eugenics culling via excommunication! Thanks for helping me get away with murder, Pope.

I still don't know how that happens. Charles drooling all over a woman and she's like "aw yeah, i want some of that action."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Torrannor posted:

No, he's a Hashimid/Hashemite. The fourth big Muslim dynasty, together with the Abbasids, Umayyad and Fatimids. The game makes the Prophet part of the Hashimid dynasty, too.

Humm, thanks. If I fail the Fatimid, I will try this then.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Either that is the most badass one year old ever or the worst kidnappers ever.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1NskvCvjkE

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

What the hell is up with Turkestan at the 796 start?

With a month I've faced an Independence revolt because all of my Vassals hate my guts, and the damned Muslims to the South declare a holy war and jam 8k stacks down my throat when I can barely muster 2k.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DarkCrawler posted:

That kid is medieval Macaulay Culkin and the kidnappers are the two goons.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

While we're looking at the laws, it would be nice if players could always enable full cognatic, instead of it being locked away behind culture/religion. I can understand keeping the restriction there for the AI, but the player should be able to do whatever they want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
While they're at it, it'd be great if you could see that full pretender information for other realms, instead of having to mouse over the title and then try to figure out if the third guy down in the list is your heir, or just someone else with the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Anyone know when the EU4 converter will be updated? I just finished a game and I would like to play it with the new EU4 update.

• Locked thread