Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok cool. It asks specifically if you added "dollars" so I assume there's an upcharge (since it comes with a folio and stuff?) but dang this was a good time for Backerkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Ok cool. It asks specifically if you added "dollars" so I assume there's an upcharge (since it comes with a folio and stuff?) but dang this was a good time for Backerkit.

Oh yeah. Definitely. But try and teach a grognard new tricks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Secret Hitler actually looks fun, I like the art style, and it's reasonably priced. I've never played proper Mafia/Resistance but I love bluffing/secret traitor type games like Battlestar Galactica or that Camelot one. I love lying to my friend's faces about how I am no threat at all and just trying to advance all our mutual interests for the common good. Probably in on that one.

Backerkit for Delta Green drops tomorrow, and I get a big overtime check on the 10th. I think I'll wait till then and my XMas gift to me will be upping my $1 token pledge to the $300 "all the hardcover books" level.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My issue with Secret Hitler is just that I don't see how it's different from Avalon (that's the camelot one you were referring to) or Resistance. Many I'm missing it, but it doesn't really break itself off from the crowd.

I really like those kinds of games so, if it is different in a cool way, then I might back it as well. As it stands, I just don't see its "x-factor."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Covok posted:

My issue with Secret Hitler is just that I don't see how it's different from Avalon (that's the camelot one you were referring to) or Resistance. Many I'm missing it, but it doesn't really break itself off from the crowd.

I really like those kinds of games so, if it is different in a cool way, then I might back it as well. As it stands, I just don't see its "x-factor."

It's edgy and about Hitler.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I guess not having exposure to the types of games that inspired it it sounded like a good expression of that sort of lying to pals/ferreting out lying pals gameplay I like, minus all the dials and pieces and stuff you gotta fuss with for Shadows over Camelot or BSG. Replacing that with a breezier less compoment driven parlementary style theme seems ok to me for quicker play. What would be a better option in the same vein then? Just looking into regular werewolf/mafia?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

I guess not having exposure to the types of games that inspired it it sounded like a good expression of that sort of lying to pals/ferreting out lying pals gameplay I like, minus all the dials and pieces and stuff you gotta fuss with for Shadows over Camelot or BSG. Replacing that with a breezier less compoment driven parlementary style theme seems ok to me for quicker play. What would be a better option in the same vein then? Just looking into regular werewolf/mafia?

Regular Werewolf (not One Night Ultimate Werewolf which is different) suffers from the issue that it features player elimination quite prominently...no matter what happens, someone is going to be the first person to get eliminated and then they have to sit and wait until everyone else finishes up. It's one of the few games I know of that I'd unreservedly say works better as a play-by-post rather than face-to-face game because in a PbP if you're lynched or eaten or whatever then you shrug and go back to posting about dicks or whatever, whereas it kinda sucks to be on the sidelines at game night watching everyone else have fun.

You don't need lots of fussy dials and pieces for a traitor game. Avalon is a pretty short and sweet "quintessential traitor game" that involves no elimination, plays quickly, and has few moving parts. There are some expansions that add additional roles if you want, but the basic gameplay is simple and involves plenty of lying/attempting to discern lies. The Resistance is basically "Avalon with a dystopian future coat of paint" but apparently requires at least one expansion purchase to hit full quality according to the board game thread. Otherwise I don't believe that the gameplay is significantly different between the two.

Another decent bluffing/traitor game is Spyfall. The premise is one player is a spy and needs to guess which one of 30 different locations (provided in the rulebook) this particular round is taking place in. Everyone else who isn't a spy knows what location they're at. Players take turns asking one another questions in an attempt to ferret out the spy. The spy's job is to piece together clues from these questions to narrow down where they are while pretending to know where they are if they ever get asked a question and have to answer. Non-spies want to make sure their questions strike a balance between not giving the answer away completely while ensuring that any spy who winds up answering them will give themselves away. My caveat is that Spyfall has a bit more of an "improv" feel to it than Avalon does and may consequently fall flat with some groups who are more comfortable simply shouting accusations at one another.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

As silly as the edgelord name is, Secret Hitler does bring something a bit new to the table for traitor games in how the law passing works, and the on going impact it has on the rest of the game. I may be out of the loop on a few titles but I'm reasonably certain I haven't seen a large player count hidden role game do that before, and it does look somewhat interesting.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A red letter day today, as this morning I received Dungeon Saga, and also my long awaited copy of High Heavens.

I hope they both play as neat as they look, High Heavens in particular has some really nice production values, and getting all the additional goals offered in the second KS along with my pledge in the first KS was super.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's edgy and about Hitler.

Dulkor posted:

As silly as the edgelord name is, Secret Hitler ...

Is there something "edgy" about this I'm missing aside from having Hitler the name? I'm assuming there's no "enact literal death camps lol" policy in the game? "Secret Hitler" is catchy and seems to sum up the theme in a snappier way than "Bluffing Power-Hungry Totalitarian Chancellor Parliamentary Procedure Game." :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Otisburg posted:

Is there something "edgy" about this I'm missing aside from having Hitler the name? I'm assuming there's no "enact literal death camps lol" policy in the game? "Secret Hitler" is catchy and seems to sum up the theme in a snappier way than "Bluffing Power-Hungry Totalitarian Chancellor Parliamentary Procedure Game." :shrug:

I for one thought it was entirely appropriate, but it does arguably require you to be somewhat familiar with the dynamic of Liberals throwing the keys of government to the Fascists once the Leftists come a'knockin'

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Otisburg posted:

Admittedly it's mostly an assumption based on Max Temkin's history in the industry, but that level of irreverence plus Hitler is usually a sign of someone trying to provoke a reaction. The game itself looks fine, just the title is what it is. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, the title's dumb and makes it go from sounding like a cool historical game about Hitler's rise to power to sounding like the game was conceived of on some dumb forum a decade ago.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, the title's dumb and makes it go from sounding like a cool historical game about Hitler's rise to power to sounding like the game was conceived of on some dumb forum a decade ago.

As a member of the something awful dot com forums, I cannot abide dumb jokes about historical tragedies made on aging fora.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As an American I'm used to romanticizing horrible events; see Civil War.

Though the game and theme are handled fairly well, IMO. It's just the "Hitler" name.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

As a member of the something awful dot com forums, I cannot abide dumb jokes about historical tragedies made on aging fora.

It's almost like Max Temkin made a name for himself on a game built entirely around shallow "edgy humor" and so people are judging his next project through that lens.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Enh. He made Apples to Apples, The Way My Friends Already Played It But More.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In Far West news, GMS's latest release date is today. He got smacked by the Washington SAG when someone asked for a refund, GMS told the guy "they backed a PROCESS" and said that the PDF would be out by the end of November and that the hardcopy would be out by the end of December.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Mayday games' Click Clack Woodsman kickstarter is now 3 months behind schedule for shipping. The last communication we got from Seth Hiatt is that shipping would "begin next week" two weeks ago, and zilch since. Meanwhile, Mayday games is filling up my inbox with lovely cyber monday deals.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Mayday games' Click Clack Woodsman kickstarter is now 3 months behind schedule for shipping. The last communication we got from Seth Hiatt is that shipping would "begin next week" two weeks ago, and zilch since. Meanwhile, Mayday games is filling up my inbox with lovely cyber monday deals.

I like that they were incommunicado something like six weeks from when it was supposed to ship just to say that much.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

Enh. He made Apples to Apples, The Way My Friends Already Played It But More.

So lovely AND unoriginal then. Maybe you can see why people, fairly or unfairly, aren't instinctively extending his latest project the benefit of the doubt?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

So lovely AND unoriginal then. Maybe you can see why people, fairly or unfairly, aren't instinctively extending his latest project the benefit of the doubt?

IDK about "instinctively," I just read/watched the pitch and it looked pretty fun, and I don't really have a big hate boner for CAH. So I'll probably pledge, just to spite SA forums user Kai tave.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

IDK about "instinctively," I just read/watched the pitch and it looked pretty fun, and I don't really have a big hate boner for CAH. So I'll probably pledge, just to spite SA forums user Kai tave.

Buddy, you still play Star Trek Attack Wing, there's nothing I could do to spite you that you don't already do to yourself and worse.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Buddy, you still play Star Trek Attack Wing, there's nothing I could do to spite you that you don't already do to yourself and worse.

You've got me there. In my rather feeble defense they tricked me into thinking it would be a serviceable enough game with a theme I liked, then spiked it into the ground, and now I'm sticking around because of the sunk cost phallus.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

You've got me there. In my rather feeble defense they tricked me into thinking it would be a serviceable enough game with a theme I liked, then spiked it into the ground, and now I'm sticking around because of the sunk cost phallus.

For serious though, whether you want to back Secret Hitler or not, check out a game of Avalon or Spy fall or something first just to see if you even like traitor games in the first place, they aren't for everyone.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

In Far West news, GMS's latest release date is today. He got smacked by the Washington SAG when someone asked for a refund, GMS told the guy "they backed a PROCESS" and said that the PDF would be out by the end of November and that the hardcopy would be out by the end of December.

I just checked the kickstarter and predictably didn't see anything that wasn't another excuse. Where did you find the info about the SAG?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just checked the kickstarter and predictably didn't see anything that wasn't another excuse. Where did you find the info about the SAG?

One of the backers made a pretty public complaint a while ago, and the whole SAG thing happened back around September. The guy who got the SAG involved talks about it here.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Otisburg posted:

sunk cost phallus.

Fallacy.

At least, I hope you meant fallacy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well the day's almost over and judging by the lack of posts I'm guessing Far West still isn't out yet.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Kwyndig posted:

Well the day's almost over and judging by the lack of posts I'm guessing Far West still isn't out yet.

Somebody better update http://www.isfarwestoutyet.com

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Fallacy.

At least, I hope you meant fallacy.

I was being a silly gus.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Turns out I goofed a bit; Gareth only promised the SAG guy that the book itself would be out by the end of the year. He was just "planning" on getting the PDF done by the end of November.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/Adamant/far-west-western-wuxia-mashup-adventure-game/comments?cursor=11701364#comment-11701363

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I was being a silly gus.

How dare you.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

That would be me, but technically he has until the end of the day. It's still November.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Turns out I goofed a bit; Gareth only promised the SAG guy that the book itself would be out by the end of the year. He was just "planning" on getting the PDF done by the end of November.

On his forum, though, he said this:

GMS posted:

The backers should have the complete PDF in November.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Make sure you update at 12:01 AM Dec first, for maximum "Internet Cool Points (ICP)"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This game is going to be completely underwhelming when it comes out, isn't it?

On a different note, Shinobigami need to get around 500 new backers in 14 days to unlock the next stretch goal, which is a noir detective shounen ninja battle hack, intended for GM and one player. I'd really like to see how that one would work, but sadly I don't think the project can make it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

You think that's tough-

Andy Kitkowski posted:

2,000 Backers: Diamond Dogs - Also, at 2000 backers, Matt will put together his previously playtested reskin and scenario where Everyone Is David Bowie. 6 Ninja Clans, each representing a different phase of David Bowie's musical influence and style, saving the universe with the power of glam rock!

I didn't know I wanted this so much until it was invented. :(

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

This game is going to be completely underwhelming when it comes out, isn't it?

It's a pastiche of a genre mash-up best exemplified by a 15 year old Owen Wilson/Jackie Chan action-comedy illustrated with photoshop filters over stolen art. This from a guy who's crowning achievement was a game with mechanics that were literally "IDK flip some coins or something systems are hard" that basically filed the serial numbers off of a Neil Gaiman BBC series from the 90's for a setting. So make your own judgements.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You think that's tough-

I didn't know I wanted this so much until it was invented. :(

Yeah, I really don't get why they're doing it by backer count and not by revenue generated. It's so much harder to get high backer count than higher revenue count. The kickstarter is funded five times over and we're just getting stretch goal stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hey my Dungeon Saga arrived! It's like fifteen pounds of stuff, holy poo poo.

And only one stupid "Damnit, Mantic" missing thing that might be in the other shipment.

• Locked thread