Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tias posted:

What, if anything, did tardkaiser have to say about knödels?

EvanSchenck posted:

Fun side note. The Emperor of Austria, Ferdinand I, was probably not literally mentally disabled as he was sometimes depicted but he definitely did suffer about two dozen epileptic seizures per day. He was unable to consummate his marriage because on the one occasion he tried to have sex, he had a series of severe seizures and almost died. He is only known to have ever issued one command in his capacity as emperor... famously, he wanted to have apricot dumplings even though apricots were out of season (i.e. there are no apricots in Europe right now, you dumbshit): Ich bin der Kaiser und ich will Knödel!

pity that he couldn't post here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he and carlos II can be the patron hapsburgs of this thread

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

wow, such hapsburg
very genetics

you know, the great thing about mercenaries is you can usually be assured of their competence. dodo was apparently very good for the swedes during lützen

as long as nobility is linked with military service you don't get telepaths like ferd'

the smartest thing that the founding fathers did was to ban nobility

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

as long as nobility is linked with military service you don't get telepaths like ferd'

the smartest thing that the founding fathers did was to ban nobility
for mercenaries a lot of the time it's the opposite, military service is linked with nobility (in that if you do well you'll get ennobled/given lands/given some sort of appointment at court), that's the way to do it

all the sporcks and gallasses and aldringens and melanders and bucquoys and whatever wallensteins still had careers probably aired out the gene pool a bit

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Did these people understand what was happening to them biologically? I mean, they bred horses and dogs, surely they must have some rudimentary understanding of how congenital illness works. Did they simply decide to breed themselves into a corner because the alternative was socially worse than literally being a drooling dimwit?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HEY GAL posted:

wow, such hapsburg
very genetics

Now I'm chuckling incessantly, with no hope of being able to explain it to my coworkers, thanks.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Animal posted:

Did these people understand what was happening to them biologically? I mean, they bred horses and dogs, surely they must have some rudimentary understanding of how congenital illness works. Did they simply decide to breed themselves into a corner because the alternative was socially worse than literally being a drooling dimwit?

It's complicated. There was an understanding that marrying your sister was probably not a good idea. However, you need several generations of cousin marriage before things get ugly. So you have a tradition of cousin marriage that went along fine for several centuries (yeah, sure, they have a higher rate of miscarriage and the like, but whatever), and then you get a Carlos II. How can you be sure that's because of genetics and not because of sheer bad luck?

Then you have the issue of nobles marrying people of proper standing, which was important socially, but which dramatically reduced the pool of eligible spouses. That's before considerations like strategic marriages to consolidate a kingdom.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

That's before considerations like strategic marriages to consolidate a kingdom.
this was primarily the hapsburg thing, if you are allied to another hapsburg by birth as well as marriage he's that much less likely to throw you under the bus when you ask for help

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ArchangeI posted:

It's complicated. There was an understanding that marrying your sister was probably not a good idea. However, you need several generations of cousin marriage before things get ugly. So you have a tradition of cousin marriage that went along fine for several centuries (yeah, sure, they have a higher rate of miscarriage and the like, but whatever), and then you get a Carlos II. How can you be sure that's because of genetics and not because of sheer bad luck?

Then you have the issue of nobles marrying people of proper standing, which was important socially, but which dramatically reduced the pool of eligible spouses. That's before considerations like strategic marriages to consolidate a kingdom.

Ask us about Military History: Yeah, sure, they have a higher rate of miscarriage and the like, but whatever

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Silly Names contribution: Two engineers involved in British airship efforts were named EAD Masterman, and TR Cave-Browne-Cave.

Also, once I was poking around for stuff on Magellian's navigator, and happened upon the name Maximilianus Transylvanus.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Silly Names contribution: Two engineers involved in British airship efforts were named EAD Masterman, and TR Cave-Browne-Cave.

Also, once I was poking around for stuff on Magellian's navigator, and happened upon the name Maximilianus Transylvanus.

It ain't TURBO DRACULA, but I'll take it.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

JcDent posted:

It ain't TURBO DRACULA, but I'll take it.

We were born too early to see the rise of TURBO DRACULA. Perhaps this young man will in time become a great general

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This may be a question that reveals a shameful lack of historical knowledge, but: Were tank crews in WW2 aware of "angling" armour? WoT and WT players will be aware of trying to create armour slope artificially by presenting your vehicle at an angle, but would this be a thing tankers would've been taught to do, or even a thing they'd pick up, or is it just one of those gamey quirks PC gamers pick up on?

And would this continue into the modern day, or do sabots normalise too much to make it viable?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yes, but you were better off trying to shoot at your target as often as possible instead of sitting in one place trying to pull off finicky maneuvers that threw off the gunner's aim.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's funny how often "Just shoot them first" is the best form of armor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indeed, to angle your body to them you need to know where they are, and if you know where they are, just shoot them.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

Indeed, to angle your body to them you need to know where they are, and if you know where they are, just shoot them.

Wasn't there a tiger tank guide that emphasized positioning your tank around clock time positions? I can't remember the exact specifics of it though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

It's funny how often "Just shoot them first" is the best form of armor warfare.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Hey, MilHist thread. I have a question.

So, I was randomly browsing Wikipedia on a lark for tidbits about the American Revolutionary War and came across the article on John Paul Jones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones

Now, I only vaguely recalled Jones as the "captain of a Patriot ship called the 'Bohome Richard' who captured a British vessel while calling out something that later became a naval legend...or was that Stephen Decauter?"

I certainly wasn't prepared for

quote:

In April 1789 Jones was arrested and accused of raping a 12-year-old girl named Katerina Goltzwart.[21] But the Count de Segur, the French representative at the Russian court (and also Jones' last friend in the capital), conducted his own personal investigation into the matter and was able to convince Potëmkin that the girl had not been raped and that Jones had been accused by Prince de Nassau-Siegen for his own purposes;[22] Jones, however, admitted to prosecutors that he had "often frolicked" with the girl "for a small cash payment," only denying that he had deprived her of her virginity.[23]

I looked to the Wiki talk page and found a bunch of editors talking about Jones "rumored war crimes" and spoted a post claiming that..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:John_Paul_Jones#British_propaganda

quote:

John Paul Jones was elevated higher in US Navy history in strong part by Theodore Roosevelt. This does read as if it does match the general public impression of him from 1970s to early 80s. His actions and behavior did not establish any precedents that remain with the US Navy. , or strong recognition among his peers while he is alive. He did write one lengthy letter full of several strongly repeated phrases, read in full by few if any. The US Navy true tradition and original strong leaders did not occur until the Quasi-War of 1798 and the Barbary Conflicts and War 0f 1812.

So, yeah, can someone tell me about the legacy of JPJ and the current historical consensus on him.?

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 30, 2015

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wasn't there a tiger tank guide that emphasized positioning your tank around clock time positions? I can't remember the exact specifics of it though.

Yes, but it was more of guide saying at what distances Allied armor could penetrate the Tiger from the front/sides/rear and not much more complicated than that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nckdictator posted:

So, I was randomly browsing Wikipedia on a lark for tidbits about the American Revolutionary War and came across the article on John Paul Jones.

Now, I only vaguely recalled Jones as the "captain of a Patriot ship called the 'Bohome Richard' who captured a British vessel while calling out something that later became a naval legend...or was that Stephen Decauter?"

I looked to the Wiki talk page and found a bunch of editors talking about Jones "rumored war crimes" and spoted a post claiming that..

So, yeah, can someone tell me about the legacy of JPJ and the current historical consensus on him.?

Raping girls in foreign ports has always been a Navy tradition.

Uh... I mean paying for sex in a foreign port....

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Raping girls in foreign ports has always been a Navy tradition.

Uh... I mean paying for sex in a foreign port....

Yeah, that's not exactly a good thing but hardly distinguishes JPJ from thousands of others.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

spectralent posted:

This may be a question that reveals a shameful lack of historical knowledge, but: Were tank crews in WW2 aware of "angling" armour? WoT and WT players will be aware of trying to create armour slope artificially by presenting your vehicle at an angle, but would this be a thing tankers would've been taught to do, or even a thing they'd pick up, or is it just one of those gamey quirks PC gamers pick up on? And would this continue into the modern day, or do sabots normalise too much to make it viable?

Games make it really easy to spot and identify enemy players, and generally have a small number of players in a small and predictable battle space, which is what gives players the time for that kind of defensive behavior. But the real world doesn't give you enough information for you to know precisely how to present your armor to the enemy. Generally you want to present your front, with the thickest armor, to the center of where you think the enemy is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nckdictator posted:

I only know about his catchphrase, and this comic about it!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the combat purpose of a twin-tailed sword such as that used by the Caliph Ali?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Baron Porkface posted:

What is the combat purpose of a twin-tailed sword such as that used by the Caliph Ali?

it was just a broken sword

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron Porkface posted:

Is that like a double-bladed sword? All I find when I search for "twin-tailed sword" is a bunch of anime stuff I do not understand.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is that like a double-bladed sword? All I find when I search for "twin-tailed sword" is a bunch of anime stuff I do not understand.

i think that he means this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulfiqar

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

why isn't the mexican american war on this list, we were total douchebags getting into that conflict and recognized as such by protestors at the time

On the other hand, it was Winfield Scott's chance to show that he was, in fact, much better than the idiots he'd had to suffer under for most of his career, so that's not all bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kaal posted:

Games make it really easy to spot and identify enemy players, and generally have a small number of players in a small and predictable battle space, which is what gives players the time for that kind of defensive behavior. But the real world doesn't give you enough information for you to know precisely how to present your armor to the enemy. Generally you want to present your front, with the thickest armor, to the center of where you think the enemy is.

So the other thing is that if you are in a corner or ambush position you might have your tank slightly angled against the likely approach of the enemy, but really your priority is making sure that on the word your driver can slam you into reverse and break contact without doing anything fiddly.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrYenko posted:

Now I'm chuckling incessantly, with no hope of being able to explain it to my coworkers, thanks.

Imagine whole generations of Habsburgs talking like a Stallone caricature attempting a Schwarzenegger caricature.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

Here you go! Page 80 (with the sausages).

http://www.gunfun.de/tigerfibel.pdf

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Molentik posted:

I only understand a bit of written German but is it really using the sliced sausage to illustrate the ideal penetration angle? That's brilliant.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Antti posted:

I only understand a bit of written German but is it really using the sliced sausage to illustrate the ideal penetration angle? That's brilliant.

It's surprisingly hilarious, too. On page 69 where it describes determining range it's got a few cross references to other chapters like:

"The commander measures or estimates his distance - cf. 'Measuring'"
"The loader measures or estimates his distance - cf. 'Estimating'"

and then

"The commander calculates the mean of the two results - cf. first grade of elementary school." :laugh:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 30, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Antti posted:

That is hilariously German. Part of me kind of hopes there is some weird crude German slang involving sausages that evolved from that.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Molentik posted:

So is the woman supposed to be a metaphor for the tank, or something to keep the dumb grunts interested, or both?

Also HEY GAL needs to comment on the authenticity of the dude on page 78.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

So is the woman supposed to be a metaphor for the tank, or something to keep the dumb grunts interested, or both?

Also HEY GAL needs to comment on the authenticity of the dude on page 78.
lol there's these guys' interpretations of 30yw musket drill too: "step 25, fire; step 26 --God help me--; step 27: it fires"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tomn posted:

Yes.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The US army had similar "comics for training", though ours were mostly aimed at preventative maintenance. Will Eisner worked on a bunch of them.

They were so popular that he was still making them well into the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The unnecessary hot blonde really makes the comic. :laugh:

• Locked thread