Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I don't get the shoes part.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

toanoradian posted:

I don't get the shoes part.

Climate protests in Paris were cancelled after the shootings, so people protested by leaving their shoes as a symbol.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

You've read the comic, now buy the plush toy!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wait, the french word for "potato" is "dirt apples"?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mr. Fowl posted:

"apples of the earth" is how it was explained to me, but that was in Canada.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Go look up how their numbers work sometime. French is loving wild, man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mr. Fowl posted:

Starshark posted:

"apples of the earth" is how it was explained to me, but that was in Canada.

"ground apples".

"apples of the earth" would be "Pommes de la Terre".

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
"apple" and "pomme" used to be generic words for vaguely spherical fruit & veg

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Kurtofan posted:

"ground apples".

"apples of the earth" would be "Pommes de la Terre".

Well I guess you should never ask a Canadian about French! :colbert:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Go look up how their numbers work sometime. French is loving wild, man.
What's wrong with saying Marvel Comics has been around for sixty sixteen years?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

the_steve posted:

I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but:

He's choosing Jesus because with Jesus, "It's done." the salvation and the saving and the everything else. It's all been locked in, all you have to do is follow this set of rules and edicts that are no longer ever going to change.

Whereas Buddha is all "It doesn't really end, things change, people change, adapt, etc..."

Basically, he's choosing Jesus because it's the easy way out. Or something along those lines. Someone better at words can probably parse it better.

That is a really sad reason to choose any faith and a really lovely way of explaining it "Keep doing good works" vs "I have saved you, just do what you like" is both bunkum and not in line with various important Christian social virtues.

It just seems so strange that someone would go "I am too lazy to make the world better so I follow Jesus" is that supposed to inspire your own side or make other test their convictions?

I am so loving confused.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zetsubou-san posted:

You've read the comic, now buy the plush toy!

Radio National's also doing a limerick-writing competition to win a copy of the newly-released book.

Does First Dog have too many words even for a book?? It might

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Ha ha! Yeah! And... and he probably BOTTLES his FARTS because he doesn't want to greenhouse the earth any more, but we all know he GOES HOME AND SMELLS THEM AND SCREAMS AHHHHH J'ADORE

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

redheads and Pauline Hanson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4tZRZSGxcE

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 30, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fowl posted:

The French word for "potato" is "patate"; "ground apple" is more specifically the white potato; you can't use it for things like sweet potatoes.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's true but "pomme de terre" is the term for potatoes in general.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

French fries aren't "patates frites". They're "pommes frites". Which would be "fried apples" if you translated it directly.

But it still makes more sense than whatever Muir is passing off as English.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What's wrong with saying Marvel Comics has been around for sixty sixteen years?

Oh they're coming up on their four twenty anniversary!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The President Of Chicago And The False Equivocation. Condemning a bad thing is immoral if you don't also condemn every other bad thing!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

quote:

According to Wikipedia:
Giving Tuesday, often stylized as #GivingTuesday for purposes of hashtag activism, refers to the Tuesday after U.S. Thanksgiving in the United States. It is a movement to create a national day of giving at the beginning of the Christmas and holiday season. Giving Tuesday was started in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation as a response to commercialization and consumerism in the post-Thanksgiving season (Black Friday and Cyber Monday).

Kirschen not being bloodthirsty for a change, instead decides to run an ad as a cartoon :rolleyes:

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
I condemn every bad thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dry Bones Academy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think anyone posted this Bill Day yet

oh wait it's a Bennett whoops sorry

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

loquacius posted:

I don't think anyone posted this Bill Day yet

oh wait it's a Bennett whoops sorry

That's a lot of lipstick

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mo0 posted:

Was t it "act of terror"?

It was that Obama had said "act of terror" but not "terrorism."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do people actually attend the "Dry Bones Academy" or is it just a tax-free money scheme that Kirschen funnels money through similar to many professional athletes' fake charities?

I mean, who would look at his art and say "yup, I wanna draw like that" because they'd be more deranged than he is.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

MokBa posted:

French fries aren't "patates frites". They're "pommes frites". Which would be "fried apples" if you translated it directly.

Most people just say "les frites". You know, "fries".

I've spoken both English and French my whole life and direct literal translations can lead to some fun. (God yes, the counting. 70-99: hilarity in English)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Do people actually attend the "Dry Bones Academy" or is it just a tax-free money scheme that Kirschen funnels money through similar to many professional athletes' fake charities?

I mean, who would look at his art and say "yup, I wanna draw like that" because they'd be more deranged than he is.

"I can make money drawing like that?" Sign me up!

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Goddamn, David Pope owns. Powns. Christensen, Frydenberg and Hanson are no doubt unknowns unless you're Australian, and even then the first two aren't recognisable unless you follow politics, but his caricatures are always so clear, no need to put everyone's names on them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Poe's Law dot jay peg.

I mean, I laughed at first, because I thought it was making fun of monomaniacal "Obama, He Bad" pundits who just have to disagree and score points on whatever completely inoffensive thing he's said. It could have been ”Obama condemns terrorism but REFUSES to use the MAGIC WORDS which means he is a COMMUNIST SYMPATHIZER COWARD who SMOKES."

Then I thought "Hope n Change...why does that sound familiar? :downs:"

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Can't believe Obama labelled the Paris attacks as an "incident of spookiness" by "muslim scare-dudes"

Makes me think of that Bors where his version of a newscaster talking about white spree shooters was "How could this honor student do a no-no??"

WarpedNaba posted:

I can't really imagine him ceasing his indulgence for Jim and Jack long enough to get the shakes, tbh.

Good point. He probably missed that detail with the help of his research assistant, Ten High.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"Obama says people having guns is bad? Well, what about all these gun deaths Obama didn't mention?" :smug:

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
EDIT: Wrong thread.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

"Obama says people having guns is bad? Well, what about all these gun deaths Obama didn't mention?" :smug:

I guess this argument is supposed to be a foolproof rhetorical counter to gun control because Chicago has gun control laws, but five seconds of research into why they aren't working there will reveal the shocking plot-twist that people are just driving to the next town over, which doesn't have gun control laws, to buy their guns, which I can't parse as anything but a p solid argument that gun control is needed on the federal level

In short if anyone brings up Chicago crime statistics in an anti-gun-control context it's just proof that they receive their talking points directly from the right-wing media bubble without thinking critically about them for even a second, and never talk politics with anyone who doesn't do the same

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Seems pretty easy to AGC: The ongoing violence in Chicago due to racist policing, an unjust drug war and rampant poverty should eclipse in our minds individual nuts addled by right-wing hate speech. I'm guessing he doesn't want to reform policing, end the drug war, or redistribute wealth, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Isn't Chicago also not as bad as other American cities on a per-capita basis when it comes to gun deaths?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

seiferguy posted:

Isn't Chicago also not as bad as other American cities on a per-capita basis when it comes to gun deaths?

Here's an article from last year: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/14/despite-recent-shootings-chicago-nowhere-near-u-s-murder-capital/

Chicago is 21st among large cities on gun-murders-per-capita.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Wait, wait, are you saying that conservative editorial cartoonists are misunderstanding statistics, in a way that presents black people in a bad light, in order to try and blame a liberal policy for failing? Surely that's not what you're saying, that could never happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

seiferguy posted:

Some douchebag lectured about "cartoons as art" in one of my university courses, and he either collaborated with Kirschen or was mentored by him or something. It's been two years and my senility flared up enough / the lecture was banal enough that I don't remember a thing about it.

• Locked thread