Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Proportionally speaking, you are still about as much better off in artifacts than someone in greens regardless of level. It does make a notable difference. When you're on Tatooine or whatever, compare your health to that of someone who is levelling through the content.

It feels like it gets more pronounced the further you go back, since the early planets are scaled to people who don't have access to stuff like earpieces, implants or relics yet. The starter planets are tuned for people in a mix of green and white gear, so it's even more pronounced there.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Am I understanding it right that companion influence only affects the strength of your companions, and is no longer relevant in advancing all their conversation stories?

VV Cool. That is nice, I will not miss grinding out insane amounts of gifts.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 29, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

LibbyM posted:

Am I understanding it right that companion influence only affects the strength of your companions, and is no longer relevant in advancing all their conversation stories?

Correct. Their convos/story advance purely based on your progress in your Class Story.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

LibbyM posted:

VV Cool. That is nice, I will not miss grinding out insane amounts of gifts.

They also gain influence must faster. Negative influence no longer exists. Even if a companion still disagrees with your conversation choice, you will still gain influence - you just gain less than you would if they agreed.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any reason to grind influence for companions besides completion/you plan to use them all the time?

Styles
Jul 17, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Is there any reason to grind influence for companions besides completion/you plan to use them all the time?

Missions and crafting.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

If you're under- or over- geared for your level will that change your stats when you're level-locked to a planet?

Each planet caps your basic stats like health and damage at a certain point, so gearing past that doesn't do a lot. If you're undergeared for the content you're doing, loot drops can make a big difference, but if you're overgeared, they do almost nothing. I have heard that secondary stats like crit and accuracy are not capped, at least not the same way, so it is possible to boost your power level past where it "should" be for the content, but the level difference has to be pretty huge before it's noticeable.

Basically the way this pans out in practice is that if you're always overleveled for the stuff you're doing and you always keep your gear reasonably up-to-date, you will pretty much always be at that cap and gear basically becomes a total non-issue. There's no reason not to grab upgrades if you get them, but it's not a worry. You can be extremely undergeared for your current level and still be overgeared for the content you're working on.

Random example: Let's say you're already level 42 but you're doing quests on a planet that's capped at level 25. If your gear is anywhere between level 26 and level 42, you're golden. You'll be stat-capped. So let's pretend you have gear that you upgraded at level 35. You don't need to touch it again, at all, until you're on a planet with a 35+ level cap. And let's say by that point you can get level 50 gear, which will then keep you going until you get to a 50+ planet. The cycle basically continues like that up to the endgame.

Of course if you're doing stuff like flashpoints you probably want to keep your gear a little more current.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Of course if you're doing stuff like flashpoints you probably want to keep your gear a little more current.

Nope. All Tacticals bolster you to 65, so your gear becomes irrelevant there as well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Man, the warzone cap really sucks when you're trying to help out with conquest points.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jedi posted:

Nope. All Tacticals bolster you to 65, so your gear becomes irrelevant there as well.

This is partially true. Having 30% crit 110% accuracy in decent gear will do you a lot of good in the long run.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
To any Cartel Market devs who read this thread.

Sell the original Tracer Missile animation with original sound effects on the Cartel Market.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Playing Shadow with Infiltration as a chosen talent tree is incredibly fun right now as Shadow's Stride guarantees a Force Breach procc. Mix that with Force Potency as well and the other proccs, you can easily dish out 30-40k damage in less than 5 seconds. At this point I've had to stop doing it as most tanks I've played with usually ends up being unable to take threat away from me :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

For some reason Kallig's Countenance has a noticably better texture when previewed than actually worn.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
We're just 1-2 people short of what we need to run HM Terror from Beyond tonight so we're going to try to put together the group at 8:00 Eastern.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is partially true. Having 30% crit 110% accuracy in decent gear will do you a lot of good in the long run.

Agreed, but we're talking about leveling gear. The long run doesn't really apply since you'll be replacing it.

HundredBears posted:

We're just 1-2 people short of what we need to run HM Terror from Beyond tonight so we're going to try to put together the group at 8:00 Eastern.

Were we supposed to be on at 7? poo poo, logging in now.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

At this point I've had to stop doing it as most tanks I've played with usually ends up being unable to take threat away from me :v:

Sounds like really bad tanks who don't understand taunt and/or basic threat mechanics. Threat is a non-issue in ToR after the first 4 GCD's.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Symala, log on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hooray, TNG got past Operator 9 in Hard Mode this week! Congrats to those who have never gone this far!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Sounds like really bad tanks who don't understand taunt and/or basic threat mechanics. Threat is a non-issue in ToR after the first 4 GCD's.

Yeah, it's not hard. Open the fight with taunt and then AOE taunt immediately afterward, that way you have the most threat!

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Jedi posted:

Sadly, the lack of skill then becomes blatantly apparent. But hey, you cant gate that :D

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The way they scale things in this means it is impossible to go do early group content solo as a high level right? I know in some other mmo's (like warcraft) after a bunch of expansions came out you could totally go back and solo old raids at the new high level. 2 of my friends used to do 2 man runs of Kharazan for nostalgia when they were at max WotLK level and one of them would solo molten core.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

LibbyM posted:

The way they scale things in this means it is impossible to go do early group content solo as a high level right? I know in some other mmo's (like warcraft) after a bunch of expansions came out you could totally go back and solo old raids at the new high level. 2 of my friends used to do 2 man runs of Kharazan for nostalgia when they were at max WotLK level and one of them would solo molten core.

I'm not sure you could solo old Ops before the level scaling, but you certainly can't do it now. All Ops have been boosted to 65 and drop appropriate gear.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nelson Mandingo posted:

David Hayter was pretty bland in vanilla (probably on purpose) but he's really upped his game in Knights of the Fallen Empire. It probably helps that the sith emperor and jedi knight are basically Joker/Batman if you play lightside route.

The emperor is so pleasant and charming that I want to be friends with him. Then I remember what he did. :argh:

Especially with the Scion-related stuff. He's having so much fun.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Hey now, space dad is great. So what if he ate Ziost? Not like we ever bothered with it before then, anyway, but as soon as he starts looking at it hungrily we're all 'no, we totally care about Ziost now that you want it for a snack'.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

LibbyM posted:

Before 4.0 you could solo all the story mode flashpoints and most of the L50 HM flashpoints. I'm pretty sure I heard tell of 8- and 16-man SM Eternity Vault being done with as few as 2.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

shadok posted:

Before 4.0 you could solo all the story mode flashpoints and most of the L50 HM flashpoints. I'm pretty sure I heard tell of 8- and 16-man SM Eternity Vault being done with as few as 2.

Yeah pre 4.0 shortly after SoR you could easily duo SM EV, KP and EC. You could never solo them as you needed o be in an ops group just to go in, and there was always a puzzle which would gate further solo progress and required two people.

While it was fun face rolling 50 Hard Modes for decorations, it's overall better now. Though they really need to up the gear drops in Hard Mode flashpoints because one piece of 216 comm gear is not motivation enough to risk an hour of wipes with a level 15 tank.

Speaking of needing tuning, tactical Blood Hunt is ridiculous. The fight with the two Mandalorians is a pug killer. It's an easy fight if you have a healer and tank but having kolto stations on the side when the bosses have random knock backs is just balls stupid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aleth posted:

Hey now, space dad is great. So what if he ate Ziost? Not like we ever bothered with it before then, anyway, but as soon as he starts looking at it hungrily we're all 'no, we totally care about Ziost now that you want it for a snack'.

I mean, it was just an Imperial planet, so do I really care about it...?

No! It was wrong, and shame on him. :colbert:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Ziost lives matter. Well, mattered.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
But just think of all that prime real estate that's up for grabs there now!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aleth posted:

But just think of all that prime real estate that's up for grabs there now!

I wonder how long it will take for Ziost to develop an ecosystem again. People are allowed to walk around there without space suits, so that's going to get bacteria into the mix. But I think what you'd really need is something that can photosynthesize, since there's nothing edible on the planet (unless you can somehow eat ash). Did all the water go away, too?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hopefully we have enough expert biochemists/analysts to resolve the situation

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hopefully we have enough expert biochemists/analysts to resolve the situation

Sure we do, assuming you want Ziost to have a rakghoul-based ecosystem.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just finished Republic Taris, pretty close to level 31. It's actually pretty realistic that I'm going to hit 65 before finishing chapter 1 of my story.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I'm a hardcore pet collector (we all have our vices), but I was dragging my feet buying the latest cartel coin cards, because we've always gotten some warning before. Unfortunately, this time the GameStop rancor disappeared without warning. Anyone have a spare working GameStop code? I'm willing to pay extra (real money, I mean).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

thegodofchuck posted:

I'm a hardcore pet collector (we all have our vices), but I was dragging my feet buying the latest cartel coin cards, because we've always gotten some warning before. Unfortunately, this time the GameStop rancor disappeared without warning. Anyone have a spare working GameStop code? I'm willing to pay extra (real money, I mean).

Is it the same one that comes with Amazon cartel coins? I got a mini Rancor for the KOTFE starter bundle ($40 for 3 months sub and 2400 coins)

Edit - oh man reading the negative reviews on that bundle is amazing. People just don't read...

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 30, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Each retailer usually has their own different one.

They're all rancors, but different looks.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Each retailer usually has their own different one.

They're all rancors, but different looks.

It's Rancors all the way down.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
December 8 is the Gree event, from what I'm reading. I really want to impress those guys, because they're awesome. (And they sell awesome stuff) I found this guide to the event: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/12/swtor-relics-of-the-gree-event-guide/

It's a couple of years old -- does anybody know if things have changed significantly?

Thanks.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

prefect posted:

December 8 is the Gree event, from what I'm reading. I really want to impress those guys, because they're awesome. (And they sell awesome stuff) I found this guide to the event: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/12/swtor-relics-of-the-gree-event-guide/

It's a couple of years old -- does anybody know if things have changed significantly?

Thanks.

Pretty much the same, just will be be bolstered to 65 now (I assume, but who can fathom the minds of the devs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Medullah posted:

Is it the same one that comes with Amazon cartel coins? I got a mini Rancor for the KOTFE starter bundle ($40 for 3 months sub and 2400 coins)

Edit - oh man reading the negative reviews on that bundle is amazing. People just don't read...

To clarify the rancors, there are a million mini rancors.
http://dulfy.net/2015/05/28/juvenile-rancor-pets/

• Locked thread