Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'd just like them to do something about grenade spam and Barrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I also don't know if I'm just incredibly bad or my eyesight is terrible but I seem to be so much worse at this game than everyone else.

I'm not sure how people hit ground targets in fighters since I can't see anything from that range. I'm not sure how people kill me from maximum range on foot when I can't make out who is who at that range, much less reliably hit them.

On one hand, it's wicked cool that the rebels look like rebels and the Imperials look like Imperials. On the other hand, it really illustrates the importance of art design in a FPS - being able to immediately identify a target and so on.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
Droid Run needs to be based on capture points, i.e. 1 point per second per droid held. Currently the game is TDM for 9 minutes, then a last-minute scramble to hold droids. Make it only give 1 point per 2 or 3 seconds in a capture cycle. Fighter Squadron needs to have asymmetrical teams, maybe as much as 2 TIEs per 1 Rebel fighter (also fix A-wings but that's another matter). It's not even major reworks, I feel that we're one balance patch away from A Proper Good Game.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Milky Moor posted:

I also don't know if I'm just incredibly bad or my eyesight is terrible but I seem to be so much worse at this game than everyone else.

I'm not sure how people hit ground targets in fighters since I can't see anything from that range. I'm not sure how people kill me from maximum range on foot when I can't make out who is who at that range, much less reliably hit them.

On one hand, it's wicked cool that the rebels look like rebels and the Imperials look like Imperials. On the other hand, it really illustrates the importance of art design in a FPS - being able to immediately identify a target and so on.

So for managing grenade spam the biggest thing is to take the bodyguard trait. 30% less damage all the time, if you get a couple kills that steps up to 50% which lets you take an impact grenade straight to the face and live.

With air ships strafing the ground the first thing you do is shoot based on blaster fire you see, then you can look at places you know people are going to be running and just look for movement. Then it is just spray-and-pray because the fighter guns have good splash damage.

On foot at range is either a zoomed thing like a pulse rifle, or again if you're shooting they can see where you're at pretty easily. Depending on map again movement makes you stand out. Hoth is the easiest example of this, even the imperials stand out pretty noticeably against the static ground. Maybe if there was a slight snow or something they'd blend in like rebels on endor, but currently pretty easy to spot.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fightest posted:

Droid Run needs to be based on capture points, i.e. 1 point per second per droid held. Currently the game is TDM for 9 minutes, then a last-minute scramble to hold droids. Make it only give 1 point per 2 or 3 seconds in a capture cycle. Fighter Squadron needs to have asymmetrical teams, maybe as much as 2 TIEs per 1 Rebel fighter (also fix A-wings but that's another matter). It's not even major reworks, I feel that we're one balance patch away from A Proper Good Game.

This won't work. They need to adjust the A Wing. Doubling the number of imperials will screw the rebels over. I am by no means a good pilot but I managed to own the rebels several times in a tie last night, simply because they were having trouble targeting players instead of AI. There is no other explanation for this. So if you double Imperials any team that does not have spergs will instantly lose. And even if they do, it would be too easy.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Moartoast posted:

Jakku's releasing tomorrow for anyone who preordered anyways so eh.

FTFY

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Is jakku a planet and therefore will have a walker assault map if so neat because then the teams will switch every cycle

I hate work because I could be back at home playing pew pew

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hhhat posted:

Is jakku a planet and therefore will have a walker assault map if so neat because then the teams will switch every cycle

It is a planet and will have walker assault. Theoretically this means teams will switch every cycle but I've learned to take nothing for granted with these people.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

hhhat posted:

I'm pretty sure every planet they add is going to have a big map and a small map so that it can be used in every mode - at least that's my assumption. There have definitely been a ton of AT-ATs in the promos for Jakku so far so I would assume yeah, it will have WA.

The REAL question is how long after release will we see a dope Gfycat of someone flying the Falcon around Jakku like the in the TFA trailer

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hopper posted:

This won't work. They need to adjust the A Wing. Doubling the number of imperials will screw the rebels over. I am by no means a good pilot but I managed to own the rebels several times in a tie last night, simply because they were having trouble targeting players instead of AI. There is no other explanation for this. So if you double Imperials any team that does not have spergs will instantly lose. And even if they do, it would be too easy.

A-wings are already worse than tie interceptors. Arguably worse than tie fighters given the cost.

If y'all haven't noticed, ties lock on faster. And if there's anything that screws people up fast it's missiles. Imo fighter squadron is the best balanced game mode. The only problem is the falcon > Slave 1.

As for in point control and walker assault, the main problem is the spawns. They should be higher so you choose between strafing runs and watching out for incoming enemies. They should also balance interceptor and A-wing spawns. It's kind of insane that imperials get interceptors while rebels get snow speeders on hoth. And the a wings vs fighters in the beginning of tatoine makes the chicken walkers useless. This combined with the insanely good position of the jawa walker makes that one of the toughest signals to shut down.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure every planet they add is going to have a big map and a small map so that it can be used in every mode - at least that's my assumption. There have definitely been a ton of AT-ATs in the promos for Jakku so far so I would assume yeah, it will have WA.

The REAL question is how long after release will we see a dope Gfycat of someone flying the Falcon around Jakku like the in the TFA trailer

They straight up said there's two new maps. Graveyard of Giants for WA, the new mode(I forgot the name), and Control. Something Wastes for the smaller modes like hero hunt.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I played a game of walker assault on Hoth, it was in the final phase and both our relays were down. I spawned in and jetpacked to the nearby "safe" relay, and landed in the trenches right next to Boba Fett. I meleed him in the face 2 or 3 times while he shot wildly, killed him and captured the relay. At the end of the phase our team barely managed to kill the last walker, with about half a bomber left on the clock. :feelsgood:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nasgate posted:

A-wings are already worse than tie interceptors. Arguably worse than tie fighters given the cost.

In what possible way is it worse? The A-wing's shield is just flat-out superior to the speed boost while its maneuverability is pretty much on the same level as the standard tie fighter's and superior to the interceptor's.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

A-wings are already worse than tie interceptors.

A-Wing pilot spotted. A-wings are straight up imbalanced you bozo. Yes half of it it because shields are just way too strong but the point stands.

(the other half is their wacky hit box)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with LevelCap. The SE-14C is the best close quarters infantry combat gun bar none. I've been playing a ton of MLG Mountain Dew Mode (otherwise known as Blast) with a friend and have been utterly dominating almost every game with massive KDRs.

Loadout is:

Impact Grenade / Scan Pulse / Jump Pack / Scout Trait // SE-14C

Once you master impact grenade throws you basically become an infantry combat god. If you don't have the angle just jump pack and then impact grenade mid air for a maximum :pcgaming: display. Lead absolutely every engagement you can with an impact grenade to ensure a health advantage. Then if you land even just a few of the bolts from your SE-14C you will score the kill.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Played WA the other day on Tatooine, got hero, picked Leia because we were getting owned on uplinks, stormed uplink and sat on it. Then boba fett came in to clear the point and I meleed him from full to dead.

Game owns

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
grr, this game is disappointing. they left out the bread and butter slam dunk game mode that is conquest, and the gunplay is sloppy as gently caress, feels like i'm playing perfect dark zero. i'm a big fan of battlefront 2 and the recent battlefields, thought I couldn't go wrong buying this. i was wrong, i went wrong.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Nasgate posted:

If y'all haven't noticed, ties lock on faster. And if there's anything that screws people up fast it's missiles. Imo fighter squadron is the best balanced game mode. The only problem is the falcon > Slave 1.

As for in point control and walker assault, the main problem is the spawns. They should be higher so you choose between strafing runs and watching out for incoming enemies. They should also balance interceptor and A-wing spawns. It's kind of insane that imperials get interceptors while rebels get snow speeders on hoth. And the a wings vs fighters in the beginning of tatoine makes the chicken walkers useless. This combined with the insanely good position of the jawa walker makes that one of the toughest signals to shut down.

The thing is, a-wing (and interceptors to a lesser degree) have a weird interaction with the soft laser lock and hitting the ship while flying at an angle so they're much more survivable due to shots just not hitting them. Add in a shield and you can pretty easily avoid most damage, and if you've got a 2 a-wings out it is really easy to blow ties off the other person while they're dodging/shielding. I'm not completely sure on turning rate/etc between interceptor and a-wing, but having shields gives you options for letting someone take laser shots at you without almost instantly dying. 2 ships approaching each other, shooting missiles+dodging+shooting lasers is going in the favor of the a-wing.

Imperials usually have easier access to tie powerups though. In fighter squadron this doesn't help, and just puts the rebels in a strong position from the start.

The lock-on sound is for lasers btw, and not sure what you mean by worse because of a cost.

On tatooine the key for imperials to win phase 1 air is that it is a lot easier for imperials to get all 3 tie tokens, and you have the at-st, and more likely to have good spots to shoot ion torpedoes at the a-wings. The rebels have 1 pretty safe token, 1 that is usually safe till near the end of the phase, and 1 that is risky almost right away.

If you want to use air on Hoth phase 3 you pretty much want to keep an a-wing or two from the last phase up the whole time. On the other hand, radar dishes can do 5%/shot to walkers and are available in all 3 phases, so the rebels don't really need more help.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

grr, this game is disappointing. they left out the bread and butter slam dunk game mode that is conquest, and the gunplay is sloppy as gently caress, feels like i'm playing perfect dark zero. i'm a big fan of battlefront 2 and the recent battlefields, thought I couldn't go wrong buying this. i was wrong, i went wrong.

You think the "gunplay is sloppy" in this (what does that even mean?) and you hold up Battlefront 2 as an example of a good game in contrast? I am struggling to understand your thinking.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think that the blaster pistols need to be seriously rebalanced. It's pretty telling when you see the majority of both teams running DH-17s, SE-14Cs, and DL-44s on EVERY game mode and mainly just the newer players running the E-11 or DLT-19s, etc.

You see the rare jawa shotgun here and there, but hit detection with that thing, at least for me, is always spotty as gently caress.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Skoll posted:

I think that the blaster pistols need to be seriously rebalanced. It's pretty telling when you see the majority of both teams running DH-17s, SE-14Cs, and DL-44s on EVERY game mode and mainly just the newer players running the E-11 or DLT-19s, etc.

You see the rare jawa shotgun here and there, but hit detection with that thing, at least for me, is always spotty as gently caress.

I've been using the boba fett gun and it owns hard. Blaster pistols are really good but they fall down hard at range.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

I know everyone thinks the DL-44 is OP (and I won't disagree, it is pretty drat good.) It's kind of amazing though just how close the DH-17 comes to it though in terms of time to kill and overall performance.

http://symthic.com/battlefront-multi-comparison?w1=DH-17&w2=DL-44&w3=None&w4=None&w5=None

Not to mention the DH-17 is way, way, way more accurate when you look at the recoil model and accuracy plots.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well in walker assault it depends on the map. Hoth you should go with the burst rifle over any pistol for at least the first and third phases, and unless you want to stay inside all of phase 2. The rest of the maps you have the option of playing to a short range engagement, so taking a pistol and playing that style can work. Rifles are still good for most of the map/point setups I think. Burst rifle or t21 is a solid engagement tool for a whole host of spots that any of the pistols are literally worthless for, and still can compete pretty well at close range.

The machine gun suffers from needing a ton of headshots to have a decent time to kill, and depending on their gun and the engagement range there is a chance they can react and kill you before you finish them off. It does interact really well with explosive/ion shot, but I found the burst fire weapons also work really well with those and sort of front load their damage.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Skoll posted:

Yeah, the shotty can be pretty drat fun if you get a good flank in, but it's kinda unreliable. If you're even just a few pixels off it's probably going to do nothing at all, and even when you're directly on target it's pretty much a roll of the dice whether it'll be an instant kill or just ~40% damage.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 30, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

I've been using the boba fett gun and it owns hard. Blaster pistols are really good but they fall down hard at range.

I literally cannot make the EE-3 work for me. I feel two bursts from that gun, which is SIX bolts, should kill a man. For me, it's usually three or more.

Siets posted:

I know everyone thinks the DL-44 is OP (and I won't disagree, it is pretty drat good.) It's kind of amazing though just how close the DH-17 comes to it though in terms of time to kill and overall performance.

http://symthic.com/battlefront-multi-comparison?w1=DH-17&w2=DL-44&w3=None&w4=None&w5=None

Not to mention the DH-17 is way, way, way more accurate when you look at the recoil model and accuracy plots.

Honestly, the DL-44 DOES feel OP but that's mainly because the TTK with it is two shots. Whereas with something like the RT-97C, which is a goddamn space LMG that spits fire, you have to hold steady on someone for a good three seconds or so. Against a DL-44, you're already dead if it's a frontal attack and the person has the barest ability to aim.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

As Luke Skywalker I dueled Darth Vader on a ridge on Hoth as both sides hurled grenades at us. I took him out because I knew how to block and he didn't (RMB). I then dashed and took out three stormtroopers before the grenade spam finally took me down. Game owns.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

TTK be damned, killing people with the DL-44 straight up just feels cool, like you're a space cowboy or something

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Fun fact about Rebel ships: the cooldown on shields is exactly double the duration. So even if you just mindlessly mash the shield button the instant it's available you will spend half of your air time invincible to laser fire.

Definitely an intelligent and well balanced ability. Totally equal in value to speed boost.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Siets posted:

You think the "gunplay is sloppy" in this (what does that even mean?) and you hold up Battlefront 2 as an example of a good game in contrast? I am struggling to understand your thinking.

Yeah I've found that the generally high precision and smooth netcode makes gunplay feel supremely tight. Leading your targets is great fun and infinitely more enjoyable here than in old school front given that this game actually has momentum on the players so it's not a jittery crap shoot

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not sure how people hit ground targets in fighters since I can't see anything from that range.

Depending on the map but after you play for a while you start figuring out where people go based on what capture points you have or what uplinks are active.

I'll usually strafe low then loop up and around to blast a group of people or I just look for the blaster fire and hope the splash will do enough to kill. When your crosshairs turn yellow you've hit something so you can use that to spray around.

My eyesight problem is more related to Hoth, the snow kills my depth perception and I always clip the ground, the TIE just compounds this.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Uh yea, if you hit all 3 shots you start out doing 63 damage. You don't need 3 bursts (assuming all bolts hit) until the dl-44 is needing 4 hits, somewhere around 35 meters. The dl-44 goes up to 3 hits at the 20 meter mark.

If you don't like the burst fire weapons, try playing t21. Up to 10 meters it kills in 2 hits, but shoots a bit slower than the pistols. After 10 it always kills in 3, and is much more accurate than any of the pistols.

I can't find anything about what a headshot does for damage, but I'm pretty sure it lets the t21 2-shot out pretty far with headshot+bodyshot. Same with all the quicker firing guns, I've found that having a height advantage to just get headshots in general kills shot a lot more. The laser shotgun is the most apparent, if I'm slightly above them chances seem to be much much higher that they'll die, and I'll be getting the headshot bonus.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

Uh yea, if you hit all 3 shots you start out doing 63 damage. You don't need 3 bursts (assuming all bolts hit) until the dl-44 is needing 4 hits, somewhere around 35 meters. The dl-44 goes up to 3 hits at the 20 meter mark.

If you don't like the burst fire weapons, try playing t21. Up to 10 meters it kills in 2 hits, but shoots a bit slower than the pistols. After 10 it always kills in 3, and is much more accurate than any of the pistols.

I can't find anything about what a headshot does for damage, but I'm pretty sure it lets the t21 2-shot out pretty far with headshot+bodyshot. Same with all the quicker firing guns, I've found that having a height advantage to just get headshots in general kills shot a lot more. The laser shotgun is the most apparent, if I'm slightly above them chances seem to be much much higher that they'll die, and I'll be getting the headshot bonus.

The T-21, both variants, is complete rear end for my playstyle. I'm mainly a rusher, I hit objectives. My kit consists usually of a jetpack, exploding shot, and Barrage with the RT-97C. I find the T-21 is only good if you can get the drop on someone and put two shots in them immediately.

I want to like the EE-3 so much, I really do, but it's either not working with how I play or I just cannot use it right and it's user error ( probably the ladder ).

I don't even bother with headshots considering how hectic battle is. CoM firing does fine by me and I usually rank somewhere top 5 on leaderboards.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Siets posted:

Once you master impact grenade throws you basically become an infantry combat god. If you don't have the angle just jump pack and then impact grenade mid air for a maximum :pcgaming: display. Lead absolutely every engagement you can with an impact grenade to ensure a health advantage. Then if you land even just a few of the bolts from your SE-14C you will score the kill.

Jump pack + grenade is so much fun if only for the flashiness.

Yesterday on Sullest, I was imperial pushing the fourth or last rebel point. On the right side, there's narrow paths formed by the rocks. Three rebels were at the close end of the path, holding us back. And because I'm Rambo...

I ran up to the end of our path formed by the rocks and jump packed across the open space between the two paths. As I was flying by, I threw a thermal imploder at the three guys at the entrance to the path (noting that it landed perfectly between them all) and ran around to my left (towards the center of the map). As the imploder went off and I started racking up the kill messages, I reached the end of the rocks on the outside of the path and threw my impact grenade around the corner and got 2 more kills. And then promptly died, because this is what happens in Battlefront.

But drat, 5 kills within seconds from a jetpack + imploder + impact. Definitely made my day. This game is great for "I'm a loving badass" moments.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 30, 2015

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ :pcgaming::hf::pcgaming:

Cat Machine posted:

TTK be damned, killing people with the DL-44 straight up just feels cool, like you're a space cowboy or something

:agreed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=255wuAJrnMs

(at around 3:15)

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Some maps the EE-3 clicks for me and it's great other times just meh. I keep bouncing between a few of the guns I can't make up mind which I like better.

For Rebels whenever I can snag a hero pickup I've been choosing Leia. Between her shield and the honor guard I've been able to sit on a point and hold it. Her blaster ability is a guaranteed 3 to 4 kills and making GBS threads out power ups doesn't hurt either. It might be a bit against the spirit of the power up to sit on a hero for a long time but it usually swings the game being able to completely lock down an uplink.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel the heroes range between useless or broken. I feel the Rebels have better heroes since two are ranged and can effectively snipe the entire game. Leia has the most utility out of all six.

I'd be in favor of an option for game modes without them but in all honesty I've solo'd Heroes before. Explosive Shot + barrage is a godsend against them and more and more people are figuring out how to deal with them so it's not the biggest deal.

I will say the Empire having two squishy melee type Heroes is kinda a boner though unless you're specifically holding down points with them. I have seen people who can absolutely rock them though. On one Hoth Assault game, some dude pretty much led the charge as Palpatine in the third phase against their uplinks and held it down. I spawned as a Guard on him and me and four other guys basically protected him and kept that point down until we won, it felt pretty badass.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I haven't tried the Emperor yet. Usually I'll go with Fett just because I can snipe and relocate quickly to help bolster points. It seems like running Vader or Luke puts a giant sign on you that says 'THROW GRENADES HERE' espeically on Hoth.

Endor affords a bit more cover.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Skoll posted:

I feel the heroes range between useless or broken. I feel the Rebels have better heroes since two are ranged and can effectively snipe the entire game. Leia has the most utility out of all six.

In this case the the sniping might be effective but the play is not. Sitting back and sniping is the worst way to use a hero for anything other than your personal K/D boner. If your team's hero is blinking away from behind a rock a million miles away while the other team's hero is holding down an uplink then you are probably losing and they are probably winning.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I really hate Endor and Tatooine because of the geometry of this game. You get stuck on EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

In this case the the sniping might be effective but the play is not. Sitting back and sniping is the worst way to use a hero for anything other than your personal K/D boner. If your team's hero is blinking away from behind a rock a million miles away while the other team's hero is holding down an uplink then you are probably losing and they are probably winning.

Like I said, Leia has the absolute best utility to hold down a point. If I get a hero token and the points inside, I will spawn as Luke or Vader though because narrow corridors is where they excel.

Han seems pretty useless overall unless you want to be designated rebel anti-air. Sure, he can push up since he does so much damage but that requires coordination and teamwork and guess how many games have that.

Fett is the absolute sniper out of all six. You can just hang back on any map and fire off the EE-3 or missiles and hold a point down, I've done it before and it really pisses off the other team.

• Locked thread