Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He's been dead for 20 years and I'm still a little scared of Eazy-E.

To be fair, Zomb-E is a pretty scary idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He's been dead for 20 years and I'm still a little scared of Eazy-E.

AIDS is pretty scary.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Crow Jane posted:

You know the stupid Lexus with a big red bow commercials that come out every year? I saw this year's the other night, and there's something about how penguins at the North Pole work together to deliver your Lexus to you. I realize it's just a dumb commercial, but penguins only live in the southern hemisphere :mad:

Zero One posted:

In the longer version of the ad the guy's son calls him on that.

Its one of a series of commercials of dads telling obvious lies to their kids about Santa/Christmas/How cars are made.

Not a lie actually. Penguins may be native to the south but there are populations of wild penguins that have been transplanted to the Arctic :eng101:

To be fair, lots of people think that penguins are native to the Arctic and that polar bears live in Antarctica.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Not a lie actually. Penguins may be native to the south but there are populations of wild penguins that have been transplanted to the Arctic :eng101:

To be fair, lots of people think that penguins are native to the Arctic and that polar bears live in Antarctica.

I wonder if penguins from the South Pole complained about the different type of cold in the Arctic.

"yeah, but Antarctica was a dry cold"

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also penguins don't deliver luxury cars.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Wait, that couldn't have been on purpose, right? I can't find anything on Google about it but I though we learned our lesson about introducing foreign species to an ecosystem by now.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I'm no expert, but I imagine it was done in the 19th century before we knew about that kind of thing. I also imagine that the Arctic penguin population is very small because whales and polar bears would keep them in check.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
nothing gets me angrier than people buying the wrong car

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
:v:: Let's make a charity fitness event to help the homeless survive the cold season!
:): How are we going to call it?
:v:: "Let's help them, doing Zumba!"
:): Er, ok. What about the campaign?
:v:: The poster's ready! wanna see it?

:): :suicide:

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Nov 28, 2015

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

hackbunny posted:

:v:: Let's make a charity fitness event to help the homeless survive the cold season!

Ahahahahaha That looks like a photoshop friday entry for "Terrible Charity Campaigns."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Could they use a worse picture of a homeless dude? They look like they're dancing over a dead man/

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

From last page:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It used to be a common trope. Folks out in boondocks supposedly reported a lot of UFO sightings (This is funny because they're ignorant and often drunk you see.) But I think maybe it was more of an 80s thing, maybe even earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tZar4wRP40

Heard a commercial saying my car's satellite radio is free this month, so i turned it on to find it was on the 80s channel playing Loverboy. I told the radio: "That's not how you attract customers!" and turned it off again.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tired Moritz posted:

Could they use a worse picture of a homeless dude? They look like they're dancing over a dead man/

Like they're coming at him to stomp on him

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvTfjnEbHk

Are they ever going to stop airing this drat commercial?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It was 1996 that CGI was probably damned expensive. Have to get a return on it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

That Santa has to be dead by now.

Maybe not though...this site lists the Santa actor as Robert Machray:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7AYa/m-and-ms-fainting-santa

And the only Robert Machray listed on IMDB is that guy who played Walt on Parks & Rec.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Plus, that was back when Billy West and JK Simmons were the voices of the M&M's, so that's something, I guess?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
So the supermarket chain in Australia has changed its rewards program.

It used to be that you'd do your shopping, scan your rewards card and earn around 4 cents a litre off fuel, and maybe save some money on certain items around the store. These were called "Everyday Rewards Card Specials", and were full price - unless you scanned your card at the checkout, at which point up to 20% would be discounted from those items. Additionally, you earned Qantas Frequent Flyer points - Qantas being Australias biggest airline (who never crash, according to the Rainman). You accrued Frequent Flyer points every time you shopped, which could be redeemed for a bunch of poo poo like TVs and stereos and gifts as well as free flights and accomodation.

It was a pretty popular rewards program, and although it seemed that the orange ticketed Everyday Rewards Specials were more often than not on lines that weren't very big sellers, a savvy shopper could easily save themselves a fair bit. I'd say for my family we would spend maybe $150 max a week on groceries, and always wound up saving (accidentally, we never really gave enough of a poo poo to hunt down the specials) about $5 to $10. I've seen people come away with $50+ saved, and there was usually one or two items somewhere that were fairly popular that would get smashed by people stocking up on it while it was on that special.

I think part of it was that on the reciept it straight up told you how much you'd saved - so you'd look at your total and be like "That shop cost $112.29 but look, I saved $4.50 with the rewards card, plus this week was double Frequent Flyer points. That's cool, I guess."

Now, they have ditched the Frequent Flyer system completely, and scrapped the Everyday Rewards Specials. The card now does 2 things:

1. You still earn 4 cents a litre off fuel. That hasn't changed at all.
2. You now earn "Woolworths Dollars".

Now instead of immediately saving up to 20% on selected items, you earn a certain amount, dependant on the item, which is recorded on the card. So let's say you hunt down a bag of potatos that are Woolworths Dollar enabled this week, and they are $3.50. They are still $3.50, the price is the same, but you might earn $1.00 in Woolworths Dollars to buy those potatoes.

So there are no specials - just regular priced goods that earn you an amount on your card. The amount does not seem to have a common factor - why does this toothpaste earn me $0.12 cents but this hand lotion earn me $1.50, despite them both being the same price?
The payoff for earning these Woolworths Dollars is that once your card has accrued $10, you automatically get $10 deducted from your next shop.

[quote]

The Sydney Morning Herald posted:

The amount a shopper can earn varies from item to item but supermarket and liquor boss Brad Banducci said it was easy to accrue $10 in savings in a single basket.
Advertisement

Orange stickers on the special reward products will display how much a customer can earn on the item, which will vary from 20c to $2.

Woolworths claims this simple scheme gives its nine million loyalty customers what they want - discounts on groceries.

Mr Banducci said the changes to the scheme were the next phase in its customer first strategy.
"There was an absolute commitment to look at the business through the eyes of our customers and make decisions that benefited them," Mr Banducci said.
"What our customers have told us is what they really value is the price of their basket of goods and... they really valued cash backs."

He said the scheme was simple and delivered the "instant satisfaction" shoppers craved.

"It's a very simple program, which is part of our desire for simplicity and clarity in the way we communicate," Mr Banducci said.

Mr Banducci said the new scheme focused on getting away from all the 'ifs and buts' that characterised a lot of retail loyalty schemes.

Woolworths claims its research suggests only 9 per cent of customers were chasing frequent flyer points when they shopped at Woolies compared to 68 per cent, who wanted cheaper groceries.

(Bolding is mine because it's not instant satisfaction. You literally have to wait until your next shop to benifit, assuming you've got the "Dollars".

I remember doing a survey for Woolworths a while back, and I remember the question asking me what I wanted most out of shopping at Woolworths. It was a multiple choice question, with the choices being "Frequent Flyer Rewards", "Cheaper Groceries" "Excellent Service" and one or two others. Who the gently caress isn't going to choose cheaper groceries if it's an option? I'm quite certain that what the customers wanted was for Woolworths to lower the prices on their groceries across the board, not make up some new bullshit rewards system.

So, from our old saving of up to $10 a week, the total Wollworths Dollars we've accrued since it's inception 3 weeks ago is.....

79 cents.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Discover/Woolworths-Dollar

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A while back, Coles had this huge promotion where they sent out a rewards card to basically every address in the country to encourage people to sign up. I'd never bothered with it before, but since I had the card I took a look at their website. Their rewards were absolute garbage. Nothing I actually wanted, and at the rate I'd accrue points it would have taken me about a year to get enough for something practically worthless like a toaster or something. If you want people to sign up for your loyalty programme, maybe try offering rewards that aren't poo poo.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

princecoo posted:

So there are no specials - just regular priced goods that earn you an amount on your card. The amount does not seem to have a common factor - why does this toothpaste earn me $0.12 cents but this hand lotion earn me $1.50, despite them both being the same price?

The lotion company pays more to Woolsworth to get it featured. Guaranteed Woolsworth doesn't even pay money for this reward program.

The best rewards programs are getting 1% of your purchase in points per dollar!

So every dollar you spend you get 1 point.

Also the lowest reward is getting $10 off your purchase.

You need 1000 points for the $10 too!

I've seen credit cards with this reward system. Yay I'll get 10 bucks off my $1000 dollar purchase!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Hahaha

It's just the sort of thing you'd expect from Italy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just heard an ad on the radio,

This guy is like freaking out wondering what weird science they're using to make sonic's hotdogs taste good for twice as long. He's saying things like "thank-you science for my hot dogs!"
I'm sitting here the whole commercial wondering "What? Are they adding some new crazy preservatives to sonic hot dogs now?!?! what is this..."
Then finally after what feels like an eternity they drop the (dumb) punchline: "dude, you just bought a foot-long hotdog. It tastes good twice as long because it is twice as long." :v:

That's really groanworty dad-joke humor, and leading me on thinking they were injecting their hot dogs with some kinda MondoBurger chemicals is a pretty stupid idea. If you didn't hear the whole commercial your takeaway would be to stay away from Sonic.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Wanamingo posted:

Why is it a dumb move to continue airing it, though? For being nearly twenty years old, it's really not all that dated, the talking M&Ms are still a marketing thing, and it still fits the holiday commercial spirit. Besides, Discount Tire still airs this commercial from 1975:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zaphod42 posted:

I just heard an ad on the radio,

This guy is like freaking out wondering what weird science they're using to make sonic's hotdogs taste good for twice as long. He's saying things like "thank-you science for my hot dogs!"
I'm sitting here the whole commercial wondering "What? Are they adding some new crazy preservatives to sonic hot dogs now?!?! what is this..."
Then finally after what feels like an eternity they drop the (dumb) punchline: "dude, you just bought a foot-long hotdog. It tastes good twice as long because it is twice as long." :v:

That's really groanworty dad-joke humor, and leading me on thinking they were injecting their hot dogs with some kinda MondoBurger chemicals is a pretty stupid idea. If you didn't hear the whole commercial your takeaway would be to stay away from Sonic.

I guess if you were like, paranoid I guess? A great many commericials would make no sense out of context dude.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I guess if you were like, paranoid I guess? A great many commericials would make no sense out of context dude.

A lot of commercials are dumb, but misleading you into thinking they're stuffing preservatives into the food? Seems especially bad.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's Zaphod42, 99 percent of his posts are like that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

There are these ads on the radio here going about how "beautiful" it is that all your favourite beers are ~99% sugar free~ because it's used up in the manufacturing process. If their point is supposed to be "fermentation is a thing" then that applies to drat near any alcohol and tooting beer's horn is somewhat disingenuous, but more importantly I don't think sugar is the substance in beer that people are worried about having too much of.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

at one point Maggie is following you and you have to show the tablet you found in the alien museum to her, but she'll just say it reminds her of something she can't quite remember. Unless you show it to her on a specific beach screen with some glowing rocks, where she'll use it to summon a little island in the water.

Dear God, yes that had me stuck for weeks.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah. The Dig is super underrated. I can typically run through it in a few hours after multiple playthroughs.

I listen to the soundtrack on the reg. Both the game's OST and the orchestral version. Sooooo good
I've never heard (of) the orchestral version. Do you have a link?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

kizudarake posted:

It's Zaphod42, 99 percent of his posts are like that.

Oh wow :iceburn: kizudarake

Are you still upset that I corrected you on cigarette lengths? Let it go dude.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow :iceburn: kizudarake

Are you still upset that I corrected you on cigarette lengths? Let it go dude.

No, I've thought you were the worst poster since you first popped up, sorry, brah.

Edit: see his 3rd probate for evidence.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Dec 1, 2015

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

You Are A Elf posted:

Why is it a dumb move to continue airing it, though? For being nearly twenty years old, it's really not all that dated, the talking M&Ms are still a marketing thing, and it still fits the holiday commercial spirit. Besides, Discount Tire still airs this commercial from 1975:

Nostalgia is a loving strong tack for commercials. If your brand is well established and liked, telling people that it's pretty much the same as it's always been is a solid idea. For example, Coke has pretty much been engaged in that game since the failure of New Coke, to the point of inventing new "nostalgia" out of whole cloth.

Even if you do a big reinvent like Domino's, you never want to go too far. Pepsi went too far with their new logo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

foobardog posted:

Nostalgia is a loving strong tack for commercials. If your brand is well established and liked, telling people that it's pretty much the same as it's always been is a solid idea. For example, Coke has pretty much been engaged in that game since the failure of New Coke, to the point of inventing new "nostalgia" out of whole cloth.

Even if you do a big reinvent like Domino's, you never want to go too far. Pepsi went too far with their new logo.

I was never a fan of the original pepsi logo but the new one is the same thing but dumber. What is it supposed to be, a sailboat? I dont' get it.

I'm sure some marketing person got a raise over that campaign though :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zaphod42 posted:

I was never a fan of the original pepsi logo but the new one is the same thing but dumber. What is it supposed to be, a sailboat? I dont' get it.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm sure some marketing person got a raise over that campaign though :v:

Oh man you need to see the design firm’s PDF.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh I remember this now, I've seen this a long time ago.

The golden ratio, jesus loving christ.

quote:

BREATHTAKING revitalizes the essence of PepsiCo in creating an iconic shape for the brand.

Marketing people are the absolute worst.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

AtomD posted:

I've never heard (of) the orchestral version. Do you have a link?

Check your PMs

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

That PDF looks like it was made by a person who really wants to tell me about chemtrails and timecubes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

that pdf is definitely worth $1,000,000

edit: not joking either, that pepsi logo literally cost a million dollars to design.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Dec 2, 2015

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Good god, the further I got, the more I expected whoever wrote this to start babbling about chrmtrails or some poo poo.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Marketing people are the absolute worst.

Especially viral marketing people :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Well, even if a logo is nothing more than a red dot, that doesn't mean the designer shouldn't be paid for their work. I mean, would it make you feel better seeing some gaudy, overwrought and impractical logo? Part of why graphic designers are employed is the idea that they know the sweet spot for crafting effective graphics.

That said, there is no excuse for the esoteric devination that is going on in that Pepsi document. I don't like the logo, but it works. Why didn't the designers just speak to that? Well, it goes back to people's gut reaction that simplicity is worth less than elaboration, and it's not like CEOs know any better.