Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I decided to get Non-Mike Tyson's Punch-Out from the current 3DS eshop sale, does anyone know if this version is beholden to the same timing issues as other emulations or is the timing just slightly different from the Mike Tyson version? Because after punishing my way up to Bald Bull 2 I'm trying to use the same strategies as the superhuman in this video from last AGDQ and it's just not working at all. When I do the bit where he blocks a high punch, then counters with a jab that you can dodge and counter with a low punch to get a star out of him, there's too much delay after the dodge before it lets me punch and he just blocks the low punch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kaubocks posted:

PSP was the superior version :colbert:

You can't play HMH on the lovely 360 d-pad.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't play HMH on the lovely 360 d-pad.

I played the poo poo out of HMH on my PSP, and again on Steam, guess which version I still boot up, spoiler, there are no P's in it.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Someone tell me about Rune Factory 4. I've heard it's like Harvest Moon, but I've never played one of those.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

Someone tell me about Rune Factory 4. I've heard it's like Harvest Moon, but I've never played one of those.

I've played like 45 minutes so far and everyone just wants me to do their chores and tend a farm, but the tutorial indicates tons of other mechanics like raising skills and friendships and taming animals and stuff.

So far it seems simultaneously extremely tedious and overwhelming so I haven't yet felt like pushing on to see if it gets interesting.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zeeman posted:

It's a farming simulator/hack and slash. There's a lot to do in the game and you can do things at your own pace. Also just gonna warn you it contains a lot of anime, so if you're allergic to that kind of thing, you might want to avoid it. If not, feel free to get it.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I got the New Nintendo 3DS animal crossing bundle and I thought it came with a download code for Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which generally has 9/10 reviews) but actually it has Happy Home Decorator which it turns out is a totally different game that I think might be bad.

Still worth it, as now I own the best ever iteration of the 3DS hardware.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah new leaf is three years old they're not bundling it with new systems

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mulls posted:

I got the New Nintendo 3DS animal crossing bundle and I thought it came with a download code for Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which generally has 9/10 reviews) but actually it has Happy Home Decorator which it turns out is a totally different game that I think might be bad.

Still worth it, as now I own the best ever iteration of the 3DS hardware.

You can always just sell the download code if you're not interested in it.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can always just sell the download code if you're not interested in it.

I already redeemed it. My life is shambolic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
You're in luck, Happy Home Designer is fantastic.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I just spent three actual human dollars trying to win imaginary Zelda badges

God damnit Nintendo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

You're in luck, Happy Home Designer is fantastic.

I mean just to be clear if you like home design, it's fantastic. I love that poo poo so yea, GOTY all years to be able to make a cute little snow home for a rabbit, but if you want more...nah it's what the name says, you design homes, to make things happy.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Flynn Taggart posted:

I just spent three actual human dollars trying to win imaginary Zelda badges

God damnit Nintendo

Did you at least get the badges?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Badge Arcade is so annoying sometimes but at least you get free plays. I don't think I'd ever spend real money on it.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

Did you at least get the badges?

Most of them

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Flynn Taggart posted:

Most of them

Good job, I'm proud of you.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Badge Arcade is so annoying sometimes but at least you get free plays. I don't think I'd ever spend real money on it.

That's what I thought too. But I needed the Animal Crossing app badges. Thankfully I've managed to resist since then, but it will forever haunt me that I got most of the Tomodachi Life food badges except the Hamburger.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If I was going to try out Etrian Odyssey for the first time is Millennium Girl or whatever my best bet at $10?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Skeezy posted:

If I was going to try out Etrian Odyssey for the first time is Millennium Girl or whatever my best bet at $10?

I would say EO4 is a better entry point, but Millennium Girl is another decent starting point. It's a remake of the very first EO game.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would say EO4 is a better entry point, but Millennium Girl is another decent starting point. It's a remake of the very first EO game.

Why is 4 the better start point out of curiosity?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skeezy posted:

Best mechanics, polished presentation mostly.

The Untold games are better than 1-3, but they took some big steps backwards from 4 in mechanics. The grimoire system is a loving awful piece of poo poo that's ridiculously RNG dependant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't gone through any other EOs besides 4 but I liked it a lot, so I'd recommend it too. Was very easy to get into the flow of things with it and I can see myself using it as a launchpad into playing the other games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Skeezy posted:

The class balance in EO4 is pretty much the best out of all the EOs so far, and it's a fairly forgiving game on its normal difficulty. You can pretty much do whatever you want in that game. Untold is a bit more strict in what you should do and not as forgiving. Also yeah the Grimoires are a terrible (but thankfully ignorable) mechanic.

But $10 is a really good price for Untold, so go for it if you want.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My significant others introduction to games was happy home designer on my new 3ds. It is not longer my new 3ds.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Skeezy posted:

Untold is really fun but I started with their weird forced story and I was okay with it until I wanted to try customizing classes myself. At that point I started 4 and it's very good. I imagine Untold is cool if you start on Classic, especially for the price. 4 will be on sale soon almost certainly if you are willing to wait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

When does this come out in the US

Possibly never.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One big release in Europe (but not Australia!) this week: Mario & Luigi Paper Jam! It's reviewing okay, with the biggest complaint being that they Sticker Star'd it in the sense that the characters are mostly existing SMB characters with few to no original characters. Australia is getting Yokai Watch this week, so I guess you Euro dorks can import it before xmas if you're really desperate.

On the eShop front, Pokemon Picross launches worldwide this week; it's free-to-play with optional microtransactions for in-game currency, you know the deal. NA is also getting Dementium Remastered, a port of the DS FPS/horror game with new difficult settings, new control options, revised saving/enemy respawning and 60FPS 3D.

Lots of games are on sale in NA right now. Kid Icarus Uprising is on sale in PAL-land right now.

Story of Seasons - out now! (NA) / December 31 (PAL)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight - out now! (NA) / February 12 (PAL)
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Little Battlers Experience - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Chibi-Robo: Zip-Lash - out now! (NA) / out now!(PAL)
Legend of Legacy - out now! (NA) / February 5 (PAL)
Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden - out now! (PAL) / out now! (NA)
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Yo-Kai Watch - out now! (NA) / December 5 (AU) / "2016" (EU)
Rodea the Sky Soldier - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Stella Glow - out now! (NA) / March 11 (PAL)
Moco Moco Friends - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
New Style Boutique 2 - Fashion Forward - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon - out now! (NA) / February 19 (PAL)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - December 4 (EU) / December 10 (AU) / January 22 (NA)
Return to Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons Fairy Tale - "Q4 2015" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
Final Fantasy Explorers - January 26 (NA) / January 29 (PAL)
Project X Zone 2 - February 16 (NA) / February 19 (PAL)
Fire Emblem Fates - February 19 (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Hyrule Warriors Legends - March 25 (NA) / March 25 (PAL)
Terraria - "Q1 2016" (NA) / "Q1 2016" (PAL)
Zero Escape 3 - "summer 2016" (NA) / "summer 2016" (PAL)
Bravely Second: End Layer - "2016" (NA) / "Q1 2016" (PAL)
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - "2016" (NA) / "2016" PAL
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Ace Attorney 6 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Dragon Quest 7 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Dragon Quest 8 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 30, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One big release in NA this week: Mario & Luigi Paper Jam! It's reviewing okay, with the biggest complaint being that they Sticker Star'd it in the sense that the characters are mostly existing SMB characters with few to no original characters. Australia is getting Yokai Watch this week, so I guess you Euro dorks can import it before xmas if you're really desperate.

On the eShop front, Pokemon Picross launches worldwide this week; it's free-to-play with optional microtransactions for in-game currency, you know the deal. NA is also getting Dementium Remastered, a port of the DS FPS/horror game with new difficult settings, new control options, revised saving/enemy respawning and 60FPS 3D.

Lots of games are on sale in NA right now. Kid Icarus Uprising is on sale in PAL-land right now.

Story of Seasons - out now! (NA) / December 31 (PAL)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight - out now! (NA) / February 12 (PAL)
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Little Battlers Experience - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Chibi-Robo: Zip-Lash - out now! (NA) / out now!(PAL)
Legend of Legacy - out now! (NA) / February 5 (PAL)
Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden - out now! (PAL) / out now! (NA)
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Yo-Kai Watch - out now! (NA) / December 5 (AU) / "2016" (EU)
Rodea the Sky Soldier - out now! (NA) / out now! (PAL)
Stella Glow - out now! (NA) / March 11 (PAL)
Moco Moco Friends - out now! (NA) / TBC (PAL)
New Style Boutique 2 - Fashion Forward - out now! (PAL) / TBC (NA)
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon - out now! (NA) / February 19 (PAL)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam - December 4 (EU) / December 10 (AU) / January 22 (NA)
Return to Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons Fairy Tale - "Q4 2015" (NA) / TBC (PAL)
Final Fantasy Explorers - January 26 (NA) / January 29 (PAL)
Project X Zone 2 - February 16 (NA) / February 19 (PAL)
Fire Emblem Fates - February 19 (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Hyrule Warriors Legends - March 25 (NA) / March 25 (PAL)
Terraria - "Q1 2016" (NA) / "Q1 2016" (PAL)
Zero Escape 3 - "summer 2016" (NA) / "summer 2016" (PAL)
Bravely Second: End Layer - "2016" (NA) / "Q1 2016" (PAL)
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - "2016" (NA) / "2016" PAL
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Ace Attorney 6 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Dragon Quest 7 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)
Dragon Quest 8 - "2016" (NA) / "2016" (PAL)

Whoa man, you made my heart jump. Paper Jam isn't until Jan for NA.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oops!

That being said, Yokai Watch is probably better. Go-Buy Watch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PhilippAchtel posted:

Let's be honest, the ps vita is a failure primarily due to its lack of Mario Kart and Fire Emblem, not due to its design.

The Vita was a nice solid bit of hardware, Sony just poo poo the bed because they thought "hey, people would surely buy portable versions of games they already own :pseudo:" would work as the primary driving force for pushing units instead of exclusive titles. Which worked for all of five minutes before people likely realized they could spend a little more for a PS3 and the same games, or better versions of, along with a much larger library of preexisting titles to poke through for cheap.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've only seen one review of Paper Jam so far and they said it's a really fun game and really charming and the characters are handled well but the setting is paint by the numbers with nothing too interesting thrown in and something called the lakitu board being a pacing killer.

It also said you could skip literally every tutorial in the game!! I'm still plenty excited for it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Paper Jam is getting good reviews around from what I saw. Just don't expect new characters or settings or anything that you haven't seen in previous Paper/ML games story-wise.

UK people, Zavvi has some Cyber Monday or whatever sales going on with good 3DS stuff:

Professor Layton: and The Miracle Mask £7
Pokémon Art Academy £12
Ultimate NES Remix £12
Professor Layton: and the Azran Legacy £15
Kid Icarus: Uprising (Includes 3DS Stand) £16

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Re: "Played Monster Hunter for 45 minutes and was bored":

That's a totally valid complaint. Monster Hunter front-loads with boring quests for babbies to get you used to peripheral systems like gathering ingredients, crafting, the various town shops, and also to give you a chance to play around with the controls in a low-pressure environment. The first few "big" monsters you fight are usually lame, too, like just dinosaurs and large animals that are maybe 2 or 3 times your character's size, and don't bring much to the table.

I think the game is at its most fun and impressive when you're fighting actual wyverns and dragons, and other things that are like 10 times your size. It feels like a real boss fight, and the 3D effect on the 3DS is really good here at enhancing the sense of scale. They tend to open up the game with smaller monsters that end up being practically comedy enemies further on in, though. Great Jaggi, Kecha Wacha, Seltas, Lagombi; they're all kind of goofy little dudes with easy patterns, relatively low HP, a silly appearance, or a combination of those things.

I think it would improve the franchise's ability to pull in new fans if they had a more interesting "tutorial" monster than Great Jaggi. The Dah'ren Mohran during the intro doesn't count; fighting Dah'ren Mohran on a boat in a highly scripted event isn't representative of how the game is. I think MH4U could have been totally fine using Tetsucabra as its first large monster. It's physically large enough to feel like a big, impressive boss fight, its weapons and armor are really good for beginners, it has big, flashy attacks that it also telegraphs like crazy, it has multiple breakable parts... it's just more representative of what I feel the game is "about" than Great Jaggi, which is somewhere between an oversized velociraptor and a tiny T-Rex, has one breakable part, and doesn't do anything cool. Great Jaggi is a total joke, and any time he shows up in an Unstable mission, there's like a 50% chance that you'll either ignore him or take the 2 minutes required to totally clown him for extra Caravan Points. Even in multiplayer, where everybody is usually in a hurry to finish the mission, I'd say 50% of the time the whole party just drops what they're doing and dogpiles the Great Jaggi who wandered into the wrong neighborhood. I think new players deserve a more interesting introduction to the game than Great Jaggi.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking as someone who just started playing with MH4U as my first MH, the Great Jaggi has the advantage of being the size of what would normally be a boss in any other game, and is pretty tame, so it makes a reasonably good intro to fighting bigger monsters, and a nice contrast with later bosses. The issue is probably more that you don't then fight a "real" boss.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 30, 2015

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Bestbuy is doing the buy one get one 50% off sale again which stacks with gcu.

Might grab LBX and yokai. The new Pokemon mystery dungeon is on the list too. Was that any good?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Wait, there's no release date announced for New Style Boutique in NA? What is this garbage.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm holding it hostage until we get a release date for Fates.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My uncle who works at Nintendo messaged me this weird picture. It was addressed to his boss -- the old man still can't use an email application it seems. I wonder what it's all about, though??

I'd trade Paper Jam any time to play the new Pokemon MD game instead. Or Stella Glow. Or Yokai Watch. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Clearly it's fake because the ABXY button layout is wrong. The rest looks totally real, but the button layout is the main thing that makes it fake.