Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Old cats! I've posted Simba before, I'm sure. She's 14, but I've only had her for four years, which is not enough. She's turning silver on her back. :3:

She's completely kittenish and absurd in her behaviour. Though in the last year or so, she does a bit more sitting and a bit less tearing around like a lunatic. A BIT less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh my gosh Simba is so adorable. I just wanna squish her and pet her :kimchi:

I think this is incredibly beautiful and adorable and heart-wrenching thing I've seen lately, so be warned: everyone I linked this to so far has cried.

One Cat, Three Lives

Casu Marzu has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Nov 29, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh gosh she was a pretty cat. :kimchi: I'm sorry you weren't able to be there when she passed. It feels silly to actually type it out, but that's a big fear of mine that I won't be able to make it home if/when she does die.

I wasn't home when either of my family's cats passed. Personally, I'm happy I wasn't. My last memories of the kitties are them being old but in good health.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Puppies vs. Stairs

http://i.imgur.com/pomcI5d.webm

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Slow mo puppy: https://youtu.be/wK1swTwB-9o?t=51s

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This surly old man was my boy Rocky, this was the kind of cat that used to chase dogs not the other way around, he did not give a single gently caress about pretty much anything and was ONLY a cuddle bug when nobody but me was around(he had a reputation to uphold after all), never got sick except the one time he did it was cancer and it was terminal, I saw this animal being born, I was one of the first things he saw saw and heard when he started stumbling about.

I literally lack the words to tell you how much it hurt losing him and I'm fluent in 2 languages, I'm typing this and pretty much bawling but I know I gave him the best life possible and a day didn't pass that I didn't hug and kiss him till he started struggling to get free, never hissed though so maybe he was secretly enjoying it. :mmmhmm:

Be sure to cuddle your old pets my friends, never let a day go by that you don't tell them how much you love them and be sure to give them anything they wanna eat(within reason of course) they've more than earned it.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

In related notes, whenever someone says that they 'could never get another pet' after their dog/cat/etc passes away, I tell them to try and view it like this:

This animal is your friend. Maybe your best friend! It's hard to let them go, no matter if they die at 2 or 20. It hurts, because you lost a friend. It's okay if it hurts.

But they were your friend. Wouldn't they want you to make another friend? A new friend? There are so many lonely buddies out there. They deserve to have a best friend, too.

And it's okay to make a new best friend. Your loyal dog you had since you were six, your grumpy cat that only let *you* pet her tummy, the bird that poo poo on your head that one time and made you laugh so hard it hurt...they were good friends, Best Friends.

But who says you only get one best friend in this life?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is Kori, about sixteen, who we lost earlier this year. (This picture's a couple years old, but it's my favorite one of her). She was living here before I moved in with my roommate 7 years ago, but was gracious enough to allow me to share her home! She was kind of a crotchety old lady even before she got old, but we got on well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Pretty sure that's a fake Disneyland elephant.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

porkswordonboard posted:

In related notes, whenever someone says that they 'could never get another pet' after their dog/cat/etc passes away, I tell them to try and view it like this:

This animal is your friend. Maybe your best friend! It's hard to let them go, no matter if they die at 2 or 20. It hurts, because you lost a friend. It's okay if it hurts.

But they were your friend. Wouldn't they want you to make another friend? A new friend? There are so many lonely buddies out there. They deserve to have a best friend, too.

And it's okay to make a new best friend. Your loyal dog you had since you were six, your grumpy cat that only let *you* pet her tummy, the bird that poo poo on your head that one time and made you laugh so hard it hurt...they were good friends, Best Friends.

Probably the best way I've seen pet friendship put into words. Not to mention, if someone adopts a pet, they've given that animal a new friend and a fresh start. Sure they get pets and feedings and attention in the shelter, but they need a permanent home. And most of those animals, whether a dog or cat or bird, end up being the most appreciative and affectionate animals in the long run. :3:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You guys are going to make me cry.

When Chalupa gets home on Thursday we will take lots of pictures so you can see how we are spoiling our new friend. I won't ever forget Coco, but it's nice to be able to give a home to a great dog who had the misfortune of being a hard to adopt breed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
On the topic of making new animal friends.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

I did a volunteer shift today with the cats at the shelter I volunteer at and there are so many black cats there right now and this has me crying all over myself.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, I've got some butter in my blankets.

Goodnight everyone!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Black cattes are the best :3: when I was growing up we had a black cat who was the chillest cat, let me use his tail as a security blanket when I misplaced my actual blanket. There are pictures showing me following him around the house with his tail firmly pressed against my nose.

Last year when my boyfriend and I started looking for cats to adopt I made it very clear that I was going to have at least one black cat. Now we have a fluffy neurotic princess who is always down for pats and attention. If I can find a picture where she isn't a cat-shaped void I will post it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

porkswordonboard posted:

I love this post so much I've shared everywhere I've could.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

From PYF little things in games:

death .cab for qt posted:

So. Neko Atsume is a phone game based around being a crazy cat lady. You buy furniture and food to attract cats to your yard, and the cats give you a little bit of the game's currency in thanks for letting them play with the toys, sleep in catbedd, etc.

It's also got some of the most realistic cat behavior I've ever seen. Of course the cats just chill out with their assholes pointed at you. That's what real cats do.

And then there's this Fucker. He's named Bolt, but I have renamed him Fucker. I had just spent about 5 bucks on this game's premium currency to expand my yard, change its style, and get some nice new things for it.

So naturally, Fucker sits in the lone loving cardboard box.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/cj6fCHM.webm

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
In 2001 I was the Director of Operations at a cool little outsource start-up. In 2001 the tech-bubble burst and I was out of a job. I headed back to my old hometown where I had found another job, and spent a while staying with my mom until I could find a decent place to live. My mom lived on a farm about thirty miles from the nearest major city so she always had dogs. When I got there she had Toozy. A stupid but loveable black lab. After I had moved out she told me she was getting another dog and we went to a small family breeder where I met Tajar for the first time. Tajar was a black and white Springer Spaniel and was full of energy. When we got him back to my mom's farm she wasn't feeling well so I ended up having Tajar sleep with me that night.

Eventually Toozy died and she got Robert, a terrier on undetermined type and he and Taj were best buddies. I moved out to California and my mom did too, dogs in tow. They adjusted well to living in Berkeley and were big fans of the Point Isobel dog park. I live a block away from my mom so I saw them all the time and Taj was always ready with a bounce and wiggle and to have his ears rubbed. This went on for the last five years.

Two weeks ago Tajar collapsed. We got him to the vet and they said he had a mass on his spleen that had torn loose and was causing internal bleeding. My mom opted not to have surgery done because at 13 he might not survive it and even if he did, he would be in pain for the rest of his life. We got him on palliative care and made his life as pleasant as possible. We knew his time was running out so we patted him and loved him and told him he was a good dog.

An hour ago he started hyper-ventilating. My mom called me and we got him to the emergency vets. The mass had torn completely free and he was suffering massive internal bleeding. My mom cried and we said goodbye.

A good dogge.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I'm so sorry for your loss. A good dog indeed. You got a chance to spoil him and say a long, loving goodbye which I think is worth a lot. What a good human, to love their dog that much.

I actually live in Berkeley and work in Richmond - I used to take Coco to the Point Isobel park all the time, as well as the small one in Ohlone Park. Maybe they played with each other :unsmith: I hope doggy heaven has good parks.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
A french bulldog puppy makes funny little squeaks as he protests going to bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vCbPq_orXI

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Been a while since I last posted in here about our rescue kitty Stella.

She's doing fine, she was clear of any parasites and her scabs have all healed, she's got her injections booked for this weekend.

Lately she has learned to climb, unfortunately for us that includes directly up our bodies, and she has taken quite a liking to piggy-backing around the house in my partner's hoodie.

When she's not getting piggies backs she's hunting literally anything that moves, farting, and snoozing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

In 2001 I was the Director of Operations at a cool little outsource start-up. In 2001 the tech-bubble burst and I was out of a job. I headed back to my old hometown where I had found another job, and spent a while staying with my mom until I could find a decent place to live. My mom lived on a farm about thirty miles from the nearest major city so she always had dogs. When I got there she had Toozy. A stupid but loveable black lab. After I had moved out she told me she was getting another dog and we went to a small family breeder where I met Tajar for the first time. Tajar was a black and white Springer Spaniel and was full of energy. When we got him back to my mom's farm she wasn't feeling well so I ended up having Tajar sleep with me that night.

Eventually Toozy died and she got Robert, a terrier on undetermined type and he and Taj were best buddies. I moved out to California and my mom did too, dogs in tow. They adjusted well to living in Berkeley and were big fans of the Point Isobel dog park. I live a block away from my mom so I saw them all the time and Taj was always ready with a bounce and wiggle and to have his ears rubbed. This went on for the last five years.

Two weeks ago Tajar collapsed. We got him to the vet and they said he had a mass on his spleen that had torn loose and was causing internal bleeding. My mom opted not to have surgery done because at 13 he might not survive it and even if he did, he would be in pain for the rest of his life. We got him on palliative care and made his life as pleasant as possible. We knew his time was running out so we patted him and loved him and told him he was a good dog.

An hour ago he started hyper-ventilating. My mom called me and we got him to the emergency vets. The mass had torn completely free and he was suffering massive internal bleeding. My mom cried and we said goodbye.

A good dogge.

I'm so very sorry. My best buddy growing up was a Springer, and they're wonderful.

I'm sure Zing will show Taj the ropes in Springer heaven.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
It's my birthday and I love fat puppies :neckbeard:. Any offerings are appreciated!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

beato posted:

Been a while since I last posted in here about our rescue kitty Stella.

She's doing fine, she was clear of any parasites and her scabs have all healed, she's got her injections booked for this weekend.

Lately she has learned to climb, unfortunately for us that includes directly up our bodies, and she has taken quite a liking to piggy-backing around the house in my partner's hoodie.

When she's not getting piggies backs she's hunting literally anything that moves, farting, and snoozing.

Thank you! I really need idiot kitten pictures right now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Are we still doing senior pets? Cause on Thanksgiving, my step-mom's old kitty had to come stay with me due to severely allergic cousins coming over....

He didn't like it!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Choco1980 posted:

Are we still doing senior pets? Cause on Thanksgiving, my step-mom's old kitty had to come stay with me due to severely allergic cousins coming over....

He didn't like it!

I like this cat, post more of this cat.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Choco1980 posted:

He didn't like it!

The incredible cuteness of this cat is offset by your horrible carpets. :barf:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Hey, not all of us get to live in houses where we choose the carpets. Some people gotta rent.

That cat is cute but looks unreal, like those fake sleeping cat toys they make.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I loving can't stop laughing at this. On imgur with the caption "When you're licking your cat friend but get hungry all of a sudden"
http://i.imgur.com/A1tL0Ge.webm

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

He didn't like it!

That's a scary cat.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Some fishermen in Tasmania found a wombat 250m offshore in a lake and decided to rescue it

https://vine.co/v/iaV7JBOH1xA

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Big hug http://i.imgur.com/pvS3T7X.gifv

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Ozz81 posted:

Probably the best way I've seen pet friendship put into words. Not to mention, if someone adopts a pet, they've given that animal a new friend and a fresh start. Sure they get pets and feedings and attention in the shelter, but they need a permanent home. And most of those animals, whether a dog or cat or bird, end up being the most appreciative and affectionate animals in the long run. :3:

Besides that, every pet that gets a permanent home opens up a shelter spot to someone else's formerly homeless new best friend!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Bloody Mayhem posted:

It's my birthday and I love fat puppies :neckbeard:. Any offerings are appreciated!

Here's a chubby puppy demanding playtimes

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Good news everyone. After much struggling with his arch, we had a breakthrough yesterday:

I shall persevere

I think I can

:toot: Mission Accomplished! :toot:

Apologies for no video, it all happened so fast you guys. It of course involved the arch being lifted off the ground in the process, and a tuba providing ambient audio backing.

I will have one for you tonight, however.

It involves this toy:

And is precisely as glorious and :effort: as you are imagining it to be.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chili posted:

Good news everyone. After much struggling with his arch, we had a breakthrough yesterday:

I shall persevere

I think I can

:toot: Mission Accomplished! :toot:
:neckbeard: He reminds me of 25ish lbs cat my dad's brother had back in the day, gigantic as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Senior pet time.

This old man is Isaac. It is hard to believe he is 18 years old.

He started off as a family cat, but soon it was apparent that he choose me as his favorite member. I have had him for pretty much every major even in my life in the past 18 years. He might not seem like it at first, but he is a huge cuddle-bug who loves belly rubs.

This past Sunday he decided to jump off one of the lower steps on his cat tree. It was only about 18 inches up, but he landed badly and started walking funny. He is an old cat and isn't a mobile as he was when he was younger, but this was something different. I kept an eye on him as he didn't seem to be in any pain, just like he might have tweeked his back or hips. By Tuesday I had realized he hadn't pooped since Sunday. I decided to take him to the vet get checked out. I took him in Wednesday and he got the works. His xray showed that was holding back a lot of poop, so the vet gave him an enema and some laxatives to give to him over the next couple of days. Since it was Thanksgiving the next day, they wouldn't get the radiology or blood work results until Friday at the earliest. What they could tell from his xray though was he had a pellet lodged in his side. He has been an indoor only cat since about 2004, so it must have been there for a very long time. He also had a slightly enlarged heart that they couldn't determine the cause of, the initial thought was it could be thyroid related, but it could also be congestive heart failure. If they couldn't figure it out with the blood work or xray, he would have to have an EKG. Hearing that wasn't much fun for me.

Wednesday night and Thursday were tough. Wednesday after getting home from the vet, he starting having some kind of episode; his eyes had a blank look to them and he started panting really badly. I had the vet on the phone in a few seconds and she gave me the info for the closest ER vet. Fortunately before she could finish he was back up and acting like his normal self. She said it could be stress and pain due to the visit and the enema (which he passed very little at the office, so most of it was still in him). I was advised to keep a close watch on him and if it happened again, take him to the emergency vet.

Thursday morning he finally pooped. He seemed like he was feeling better, but I was still concerned. I ended up skipping out on Thanksgiving with my family, but all of them are have pets that they would do the same thing in a heartbeat for, so they understood.

I got a call from the vet on Friday with his results. His bad landing actually broke 3 of his ribs. His blood work showed he had slightly elevated kidney levels, so now he is on prescription food.

He has been acting more like his normal self since this weekend. His ribs are healing and he really, really likes his new food (and he better, that stuff is expensive). All he has to do now is rest up, relax and heal.

He is pretty good at relaxing.

• Locked thread