Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Cherche would be pretty op in that hypothetical game because iirc she somehow beat up Minerva once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hmmmm, on the one hand, all these rewrites seem pretty heavy handed.

On the other hand, Eirika and L'arachel can marry.

This is a complex ethical decision.

That is basically the conundrum, yup.

Also Neimi and Amelia, Vanessa and Lute, and Marisa and Tana if I'm recalling the altered Supports correctly, though I don't know for sure if they come with paired endings since I haven't finished yet. Neimi and Amelia works well enough though it is just a little tortured, and Vanessa and Lute is just downright weird because it involves some in-joke from the hacker.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Junpei Hyde posted:

Cherche would be pretty op in that hypothetical game because iirc she somehow beat up Minerva once.

as a toddler

in training as a cleric

cherche was always ripped

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Seagull posted:

as a toddler

in training as a cleric

cherche was always ripped

The backstory of Awakening's characters are mostly more interesting than the actual story.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

is there a cherche expy in fates or do only the most basic of girls(and severa) get to come back

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ruggington posted:

is there a cherche expy in fates or do only the most basic of girls(and severa) get to come back

Arthur's kid has a wyvern named Michals and that's probably the closest to Cherche you're getting.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I hate japan

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ruggington posted:

I hate japan

We got Severa and Owain, it's not all bad.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I don't consider Severa coming back a net positive

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Pastrymancy posted:

I will actually agree with this, because she didn't come back with Noire (to my knowledge) and thus I can't headcanon them together again.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

*sigh*

you're on the list.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I honestly stopping caring about personalities around the 5th playthrough but severa is a mercenary, which is the best class, so

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

always bet on green +2 angelic robes

Also apparently Lloyd can move, never knew that!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This image is phenomenal.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pastrymancy posted:

Severa is the best Awakening kid and you should probably accept that.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Junpei Hyde posted:

Severa is the best Awakening kid and you should probably accept that.

That's a weird way to spell Owain

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dunban posted:

That's a weird way to spell Owain

OK, the best female Awakening kid.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Severa paired up with Inigo is my favourite kid character. There's something about two Heroes taking turns to jump at the enemy with similar animations, to say nothing of the class having both Armsthrift and the best 1-2 range melee in the game. Sorry Owain.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Armsthrift was my Galeforce with how i tried to spread it once i learned it existed

I am very much looking forward to fates

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hivac posted:

Armsthrift was my Galeforce with how i tried to spread it once i learned it existed

I am very much looking forward to fates

Same, Nah with aptitude, armsthrift and a dragonstone plus is the best.

Fates is going to be GOTY 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Okay, I actually know jack poo poo about Fates. Is it a good game? Will the English version be good? Are all the changes they made to the game (they removed weapon uses, right?) any good?

Is there any place I can read up on these things without getting spoiled.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Volt Catfish posted:

Okay, I actually know jack poo poo about Fates. Is it a good game? Will the English version be good? Are all the changes they made to the game (they removed weapon uses, right?) any good?

Buy it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

What is your definition of a good game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Volt Catfish posted:

Go to Serenes Forest Fates page and click on any of the tabs that aren't characters.

Quick list of big changes;

Pair Up still exists but is severely nerfed and split into an offensive/defensive stance.

Weapons don't have durability, but instead tend to have special properties (ie. Steel is harder to double with, some powerful ones will lower your offensive stats for a turn after use) most 1-2 range weapons + Nosferatu can't double. Bows are actually good.

No infinite levels. Second-sealing keeps your level but you'll gain the skills of the new class 1/level after your change as long as you're above the level required to learn them. (Ie. You're a level 10 General who changes to Paladin. At level 11 you'll get the level 5 Paladin skill) There are also new seals that raise the level cap by 5 to a max of 40.

3 versions, 1 is a slightly later DLC, each with roughly the same unique content as Awakening. Birthright has grinding, Conquest doesn't and the DLC one will. 8 DLC classes, 4 based on Robin/Marth/Lucina/Chrom and 2 new (Witch+Ballastician) plus Dread Fighter and Dark Flier. Galeforce nerfed haaaard (cannot trigger if in a pair-up)

Oh and growths are really skewed overall and it has the lowest combined HP growths in the series.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 30, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

What is your definition of a good game?

Every english released fire emblem game excluding shadow dragon

thanks for the replies, everyone

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every single character has a unique personal skill, so there's actual individualism.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Then you will probably like Fates.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Then, yes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Oh and growths are really skewed overall and it has the lowest combined HP growths in the series.

Does this mean it doesn't have that thing like Awakening where every single character is good and will just +1 every stat on every level pretty much?

Also kinda sad to hear infinite leveling is out.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zore posted:

I'm excited

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Does this mean it doesn't have that thing like Awakening where every single character is good and will just +1 every stat on every level pretty much?

Yeah basically.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Volt Catfish posted:

Also kinda sad to hear infinite leveling is out.

Yeah, there are some characters with really lovely growths and stat layouts. Like a Pegasus with 20% speed growth. And most chars have 40%ish HP growths which makes HP an interesting stat this time around.

Oh and classes except for Witch/Ballastician are no longer gender locked. With the weird exception of the Hoshido preist where the male version gers Lances on promotion and the female version gets Bows.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

IIRC Great lord and Lodestar are also gender locked and fwiw the Lance Priest and Bow Priestess get the same skills.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Zore posted:

There are also new seals that raise the level cap by 5 to a max of 40.

99 actually :eng101:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So, in theory (and most likely practice), Birthright will allow you to hit all your units' stat caps and gain all skills, unless there's no way to farm eternal seals?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Unless they get the Boots treatment I don't see why not. Would be kind of dumb to have a grinding mode but not allow grinding of some things just because.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Iirc eternal seals are buyable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK, the best female Awakening kid.

Not even the best female Awakening kid who can be Cordelia's daughter.

Severa's fine and all, but she never chases down a priest to force snake blood down his throat.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Top awakening kids are Fmorgan, Inigo, Owain, Nah, and Brady not necessarily in that order.

Severa gets an honorable mention I guess but it's hard to not be better than the likes of Laurent and Yarne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Top awakening kids are... Nah

nah