Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Man, when you lose a battle of wits to the Hulk, that should be a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Bravo posted:

Man, when you lose a battle of wits to the Hulk, that should be a sign.

Peter David's Grey Hulk was so great for stuff like that. He used his noggin to beat up the Thing, even though he was weaker and the Thing was, at the time, extra-rocky. He Heimliched him.

On an unrelated topic, I just saw this panel from Superdickery:

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 30, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sentinel Red posted:

Don't leave us hanging, dawg! Does he move him or not?

He does, but emotionally.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

Peter David's Grey Hulk was so great for stuff like that. He used his noggin to beat up the Thing, even though he was weaker and the Thing was, at the time, extra-rocky. He Heimliched him.

I'm pretty sure that "robot" is Superman. IIRC the story is that they're on an island with dinosaurs and Superman is helping keep their existence secret but won't just ask Jimmy not to take pictures for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure that "robot" is Superman. IIRC the story is that they're on an island with dinosaurs and Superman is helping keep their existence secret but won't just ask Jimmy not to take pictures for some reason.

A lot of Superdickery makes sense when you realize that Superman's friends and loved ones are complete shits who won't listen to anything he tells them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
My takeaway from that is that someone built a robot, and then spent the time needed to train it how to break a camera, instead of just programming it with camera-breaking skills to begin with.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Captain Bravo posted:

My takeaway from that is that someone built a robot, and then spent the time needed to train it how to break a camera, instead of just programming it with camera-breaking skills to begin with.

Writers were weird like that back then. In the Space Odyssey series by Clarke, scientists have to teach HAL how to speak English instead of just uploading a dictionary.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's like computers and their programming were just a strange, alien concept that 99% of people back then did not understand even at its basic concept and writers just made poo poo as they went along. Thankfully, over 40 years later, public osmosis of "what computer do" has advanced significantly, so now people understand it's those things that hack internet tubes and enhance photos to microscopic dimensions.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Thankfully, over 40 years later, public osmosis of "what computer do" has advanced significantly, so now people understand it's those things that hack internet tubes and enhance photos to microscopic dimensions.

PC Does What?!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Speaking as a computer programmer, it's still not that insane. Some computer programs for things like image and pattern recognition aren't programmed so much as trained; they're built on simulated 'neural networks' of nodes that evolved algorithms to do whatever they're supposed to do based on selective pressures we imposed. We don't necessarily understand exactly how they work. Sure, you can copy and paste the resulting neural network from one computer to another, you don't have to train each computer from scratch, but saying that the program is 'trained' rather than 'programmed' to do a thing is pretty fair.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Speaking as a computer programmer, it's still not that insane. Some computer programs for things like image and pattern recognition aren't programmed so much as trained; they're built on simulated 'neural networks' of nodes that evolved algorithms to do whatever they're supposed to do based on selective pressures we imposed. We don't necessarily understand exactly how they work. Sure, you can copy and paste the resulting neural network from one computer to another, you don't have to train each computer from scratch, but saying that the program is 'trained' rather than 'programmed' to do a thing is pretty fair.

It also works really well for stuff like language because writing down all the rules for written English is an entirely different beast than writing down all the rules for spoken English. HAL needs to understand an enormous number of idioms, for starters.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

It also works really well for stuff like language because writing down all the rules for written English is an entirely different beast than writing down all the rules for spoken English. HAL needs to understand an enormous number of idioms, for starters.

Best part of Terminator was Arnie reviewing a list of responses to an angry superintendent like an RPG protagonist, and settling on "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

theflyingorc posted:

Even just written English the dictionary is only going to get you bugger-all to natural interpretation because context matters a lot. I mean, compare computer translation from like 15 years ago when it was just computers with programmed dictionaries and rules that it didn't actually understand to the current computer translators that are trained on human translated texts so that it can 'intuit' word contexts rather than just apply rules.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

That's an edit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Say Nothing posted:

That's an edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXR-gey9XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvh32fQ8nNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzUGbWBOe8

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Canemacar posted:

Best part of Terminator was Arnie reviewing a list of responses to an angry superintendent like an RPG protagonist, and settling on "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat."

Which came above 'gently caress You' on the list of responses. I guess he picked it up from Bill Paxton.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, depending on how it worked, teaching HAL English makes sense.

Hell, one of the most common methods of creating experimental AI for us these days involves throwing enormous amounts of conversation transcripts at them, and we often refer to that as teaching. Once the computer gets intelligent enough to process natural feedback, learning through real-time conversations is totally realistic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 1, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, depending on how it worked, teaching HAL English makes sense.

Hell, one of the most common methods of creating experimental AI for us these days involves throwing enormous amounts of conversation transcripts at them, and we often refer to that as teaching. Once the computer gets intelligent enough to process natural feedback, learning through real-time conversations is totally realistic.

But when in the learning process do you teach the AIs how to smash cameras?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

That's not the trick. The trick is training it to smash specifically Jimmy Olsen's camera.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
But it's definitely Superman dressed a a robot, right?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

TwoPair posted:

Stage simulation, timed scenario, fitness function of cameras broken, 1000 random controllers, pick the highest performing controllers and synthesize/mutate for next generation of controllers, rerun until performance peaks, then make the scenario more complicated (moving camera, smaller camera, belligerent cameraman) and repeat the process.

This robot was evolved to break Jimmy's camera.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Professor Wayne posted:

But it's definitely Superman dressed a a robot, right?

Do you really need to ask? I mean it's cardboard boxes painted silver with sharpie on it.

Which is great since this is a guy who can, in a heartbeat, create a super realistic robot replica of himself just for the gently caress of it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

source: deadpool #9 (2009)
taskmaster & deadpool in a scheme to steal avengers-leading norman osborne's money and maybe get lucky

edit:
source: deadpool #56 (2012)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 2, 2015

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Fereydun posted:

source: deadpool #9 (2009)
taskmaster & deadpool in a scheme to steal avengers-leading norman osborne's money and maybe get lucky

edit:
source: deadpool #56 (2012)

Things like this are why I'm sad they're trying to push the Deadpool/Cable bromance again.
Him and Tasky were so much more fun to watch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I also just noticed he is doing a crossface. Make sure he is not married and has kids.

The rabid wolverine. Living the gimmick.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
And I just read all 155 pages of this thread. It's been a good week. Now to share. Most of mine are from the start of the new 52 because reasons.

I think this one was from Voodoo? Context: There is none. This is Kyle's entrance to the comic.

The Dark Knight #4

Arkham Unhinged #9

Arkham Unhinged #2 i just like Batman's face in the second panel.

Blackhawks #5

Spidey 2099. not sure about the issue

More Spidey 2099. This is the crowning moment of the entire comic's run, in my opinion.

I actually really liked Swamp Thing, but the artist did not know what they were doing with Supes here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The New 52 Blackhawks book was kind of hilarious in how blatant a rip-off of GI Joe it was.

And kinda digging Superman, as played by Bruce Campbell, there.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
wait i just remembered i have one more

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gaz-L posted:

Superman, as played by Bruce Campbell.

That's brilliant. We need to make this happen now, people.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

All-New, All-Different, Sort of the Same Howard the Duck #2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xinder posted:

I actually really liked Swamp Thing, but the artist did not know what they were doing with Supes here.

It might be because when Paquette drew those pages it was before Flashpoint and in order to remain on schedule another artist drew the new Superman armor over his original work.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Prez (6) continues to be a lot of fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

WarbeastTina's role in the story suddenly turns on its head in this issue. :3:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

That's brilliant. We need to make this happen now, people.

But if we do that we'll never get Bruce Campbell as Plastic Man

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Opopanax posted:

But if we do that we'll never get Bruce Campbell as Plastic Man

Crossover slashfilm with him playing both roles, and also Batman and Booster Gold.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

SilverSupernova posted:

Things like this are why I'm sad they're trying to push the Deadpool/Cable bromance again.
Him and Tasky were so much more fun to watch.

Yeah, Deadpool doesn't seem to make friends as much as he decides who he's friends with and then lets them know, frequently by kidnapping. Taskmaster at least hasn't fully given in to the Stockholm syndrome yet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Yeah, Deadpool doesn't seem to make friends as much as he decides who he's friends with and then lets them know, frequently by kidnapping. Taskmaster at least hasn't fully given in to the Stockholm syndrome yet.

From my casual internet osmosis knowledge of Deadpool, it does feel like it's at it's some of it's best when he has someone to play off of who can keep up with him, yeah.

Of course I also have a soft spot for Darkhawk (even if I never really kept up with his stuff past his series) so my comic book tastes are pretty dire anyways.

Darkhawk let a crazy hobo (later revealed to be plot relevant) name him, because he knew it was a better name than calling himself "Edge Man" :allears:

The first Darkhawk comic I read was the one where Venom throws the fight out of pity (also my first exposure to Venom). Why do I like this guy?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 3, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why wouldn't you?

Darkhawk is like Spider-Man, Cyclops, Falcon and Wolverine all in one guy with a Cylon costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Were you a teenager when you first read him?

There's something special about reading a comic where you can relate to the main character.

I doubt anyone here is a billionaire so Batman is fairly un-relateable (unless your parents were murdered, I guess) but we can all relate to being an awkward teen which is why SpiderMan works so well.