Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

The Slithery D posted:

After a 2009 Christmas Eve arrest of a soldier theoretically restricted to barracks our CSM changed all the assigned CQ shifts starting Christmas Day. My staff duty NCOIC had to tell a SGT at 2200 he had duty the next morning instead of opening presents with his kids. I gave him the rest of the block period off, at least.

I'm thankful I'm out.

This is why you get a burner phone, give that number to your command, and never leave it on when you're not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cole posted:

This is why you get a burner phone, give that number to your command, and never leave it on when you're not working.

Response I saw to that was article 15s forcing people to check in every so many hours during the day time. In person during work hours, by phone outside of work.

Because of course it was the low ranking person's fault when someone higher ranking hosed up horribly and needed to throw Joe's free time at the problem as a solution.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

The Slithery D posted:

After a 2009 Christmas Eve arrest of a soldier theoretically restricted to barracks our CSM changed all the assigned CQ shifts starting Christmas Day. My staff duty NCOIC had to tell a SGT at 2200 he had duty the next morning instead of opening presents with his kids.

poo poo like this drives me crazy. The army doesn't give a poo poo about its soldiers. It would be different if it had an actual mission that matters, but the current SOP is to just engage in continuous pointless war.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 27, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SumYungGui posted:

Response I saw to that was article 15s forcing people to check in every so many hours during the day time. In person during work hours, by phone outside of work.

Because of course it was the low ranking person's fault when someone higher ranking hosed up horribly and needed to throw Joe's free time at the problem as a solution.

The other answer is "I've been drinking."

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
"Sorry I'm five beers deep right now" or "Oh man I'm on the road and the time it would take for me to get back and get in uniform would be too long"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Cole posted:

Yeah this is the go to if they call you off duty hours about literally anything, another good one is I have no one to watch the kids (if you have them)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ace of Baes posted:

Yeah this is the go to if they call you off duty hours about literally anything, another good one is I have no one to watch the kids (if you have them)

"I'm drunk," means you physically cannot come in and do the job.

"I don't have someone to watch the kids," means you can hide them under the CQ desk.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Cole posted:

You have to save these for when it counts though, or you're likely to get a command referral to substance abuse.

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
So if I'm recalled from IRR, how much of a shithead do I have to be to not get sent to syria?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Try getting a conviction for littering in the mean time. See if that still works.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Delizin posted:

Try getting a conviction for littering in the mean time. See if that still works.

Don't forget creating a public nuisance.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Smoke weed everyday

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://youtu.be/rnS-05XoXs4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Openly masturbate in the recall office. Refuse to stop until completion.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Remember that nonparticipants project I was gonna start on this month? Well, instead I've gotten the big green weenie.

I was supposed to start on the 16th. Still don't have orders. The packet has been held up at various echelons, and gotten kicked back once for a flag (which was an error and got corrected by a literally fifteen second phone call). Now, two weeks after I was originally slated to start, they're "just now realizing" that I'm a MilTech, even though in the goddamn Tour of Duty website it asks you if you are, I checked yes, AND included the loving memo it required from my civilian supervisor saying it was cool.

My buddy at USARC is about to lose his goddamn mind and I'm not far behind. I canceled on a condo here because I figured I'd be there for the foreseeable future. It's making me consider switching over to the new retirement system so I can get the gently caress out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Owned

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Every time the Navy gets me down I come here and get some perspective.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Retardog posted:

Remember that nonparticipants project I was gonna start on this month? Well, instead I've gotten the big green weenie.

I was supposed to start on the 16th. Still don't have orders. The packet has been held up at various echelons, and gotten kicked back once for a flag (which was an error and got corrected by a literally fifteen second phone call). Now, two weeks after I was originally slated to start, they're "just now realizing" that I'm a MilTech, even though in the goddamn Tour of Duty website it asks you if you are, I checked yes, AND included the loving memo it required from my civilian supervisor saying it was cool.

My buddy at USARC is about to lose his goddamn mind and I'm not far behind. I canceled on a condo here because I figured I'd be there for the foreseeable future. It's making me consider switching over to the new retirement system so I can get the gently caress out.

The new retirement isn't helping people it is just a way to downsize and look good doing it with the ability to continue ignoring the real reason everyone in the army hates their lives.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Oh, I know, I'm just pissed right now. It's gonna be a poo poo deal for people that stay in for 20, but a decent deal for people that are smart enough to only do one tour and get out for a much better paying civilian job. Hell, I'd only consider it if I was deadset on getting out before twenty because if I switched now I'd be missing out on 7 years of matching contributions and uh...gently caress that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are you gonna be at Bragg or at the OCAR on Belvoir?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Bragg

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Retardog posted:

Oh, I know, I'm just pissed right now. It's gonna be a poo poo deal for people that stay in for 20, but a decent deal for people that are smart enough to only do one tour and get out for a much better paying civilian job. Hell, I'd only consider it if I was deadset on getting out before twenty because if I switched now I'd be missing out on 7 years of matching contributions and uh...gently caress that.

I'm curious how this new retirement system will work on the reserve component side. At this rate, I almost certainly don't see myself making it to 20 even as a traditional RC soldier. It'll be nice to walk away with something, even if it's only some extra beer money once I hit my late 50s.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm curious how this new retirement system will work on the reserve component side. At this rate, I almost certainly don't see myself making it to 20 even as a traditional RC soldier. It'll be nice to walk away with something, even if it's only some extra beer money once I hit my late 50s.

If you aren't at the bar telling stories of your time in 'raq or 'ganistan and getting free drinks, you're hitting your late 50s all wrong.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

DoktorLoken posted:

There's a good write up of it here. 20% decrease in the base amount, which you're supposed to make up with investments in your TSP. Vested after 2 years. Everyone in before 2018 will have 18 months to decide whether to switch or keep the old system.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Retardog posted:

There's a good write up of it here. 20% decrease in the base amount, which you're supposed to make up with investments in your TSP. Vested after 2 years. Everyone in before 2018 will have 18 months to decide whether to switch or keep the old system.

Are they defaulting everyone to the new system but still making them fill out paperwork, and doubling the paperwork if you want to stay in the old system?

Because that's how it should be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wait, so I can retroactively use my years of service for it? What if you're still in the IRR?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Retardog posted:

Did you mean STILL in before 2018? I did 8 years 5 years ago but any money is better than no money.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Isn't it basically privatizing military pensions?

Next they'll privatize Tricare and give everyone vouchers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Isn't it basically privatizing military pensions?

Next they'll privatize Tricare and give everyone vouchers.

No, it's moving it to the TSP with a match like the rest of the federal government. Pension funds have always been invested in low-risk vehicles anyway; they don't just sit there collecting simple interest.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Now we've got to come up with a calculator for the break even point between the 20% pension cut and the 5%TSP match. Some numbnuts will probably keep it all in the G fund while I got it all in the S fund. Of course most people will probably pick the lifecycle fund and be done with it. For the E7 missing $4780 a year, I'm estimating that five percent TSP match needs to value $138,000 just so he can take it out at the same time as his pension and afford the tax penalty, as long as it grows the same 7.3 rate overall.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
There can be only one Mike on these forums, fight me to the death irl.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
My level 2 Modern Army Combatives certificate makes me a lethal fighting force multiplier.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Crazy Mike posted:

My level 2 Modern Army Combatives certificate makes me a lethal fighting force multiplier.

i am combatives level 2 certified.

i never took combatives level 2.

what i am saying is, talk is cheap. so is your ERB.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ooooh

gently caress him up, battle, he said you won't!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
No balls.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Last time we did combatives, I caught a palm strike to my balls. It hurt.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Aranan posted:

Last time we did combatives, I caught a palm strike to my balls. It hurt.

BDSM is quite the fetish.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

smdftb if you're still in

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

gently caress this bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004