Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

revmoo posted:

Haha if you think wireless charging will improve things.

I have a Samsung wireless charger and in an effort to make it appear slick and futuristic, they built it as a round hockey puck with "smart" orientation so that in theory you can just place your phone in any orientation and it will work. In practice it means that you will need at least three attempts to locate the phone on the charger before it will detect it. Making things worse is that there is a delay between setting down the phone and charging starting, so you'll set it down and it won't charge so you go to move it 1mm and right as you do it kicks on which means you get to try again.

All of these issues would be solved by using a cradle or some sort of locating pins to properly align the phone. As it is, using a cable is the faster and more convenient choice.

Also it was $40 which is a ridiculous price to pay for an inductive loop and an IC.

I use a wireless charger every day and have no problems. You just bought lovely one, and at $40 :lol:

Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK9BMV8 I have two of these and they are perfectly fine, for less than $10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there a reason USBs couldn't have been made so you could plug them in upside down as well? I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

Bad design hacked!

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Chrome used to have a mode that made it use one process instead of like 10-15 in exchange for almost imperceptibly worse performance, but they took that out because ????

So that a single bad flash add wont freeze up and crash your seventy six tabs spread over six windows. Or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
My Opera process has been running for over 12 days. I think the plugins are ran through a wrapper which insulates it from their crashes.

Speaking of lovely design in Chrome, I just had to use it to get a Linux ISO from MEGA and the download failed for whatever reason.

So the sensible thing would be to let you try to resume or restart the download, like a normal browser (left), right? Well gently caress you, it's obviously some sort of bourgeois feature!

That screenshot is from an open ticket from 3 years ago, btw.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 22, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there a reason USBs couldn't have been made so you could plug them in upside down as well? I swear to god I guess the wrong way every time I try to plug one in.

it's because usb started out as the lovely standard for devices with low data throughput and little power consumption that stay plugged in forever like keyboards and mice

anything that needed lots of juice, was mobile, and churned through more than like a megabyte per second was supposed to go on a proper connector like firewire (rip firewire)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mobby_6kl posted:

:laffo:

So looks like I'll be sticking with Opera 12 forever.

firefox, making things "faster" but continuing to hide the option to disable the bullshit computer-freezing "restore after crash" feature under a word salad options window you have to navigate to with a specific local url

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blowfish posted:

it's because usb started out as the lovely standard for devices with low data throughput and little power consumption that stay plugged in forever like keyboards and mice

anything that needed lots of juice, was mobile, and churned through more than like a megabyte per second was supposed to go on a proper connector like firewire (rip firewire)

except in the like 3 times I've used it firewire was even harder to get aligned when doing it without being able to see the socket because you're crammed under a desk reaching around and manipulating the plug with the very tips of your fingers, and this should really be design criteria for literally every computer plug ever :colbert:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

crammed under a desk reaching around and manipulating the plug with the very tips of your fingers, and this should really be design criteria for literally every computer plug ever :colbert:

Maybe computer plus should be like ones on the backs of deep fryers, where they're held in magnetically and will seat themselves so long as you get it about an inch away.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

criscodisco posted:

Maybe computer plus should be like ones on the backs of deep fryers, where they're held in magnetically and will seat themselves so long as you get it about an inch away.

Macbooks have this for their power plug, though they don't seat themselves unless you get it pretty close to aligned anyway

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Macbooks have this for their power plug, though they don't seat themselves unless you get it pretty close to aligned anyway

Too bad they changed the design of the MacBook Air's magnetic plug. Now if you put the laptop. On. Your. Lap. It pops it right out. They made it fatter for some reason and add this as another stupid design feature of Macs.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The older magsafe chargers weren't much better. My old macbook had one of those massive bulky chargers, the weight of which would wear the wire down. At the other end, the little magnetic bit would often get stuck in your macbook when you tried to remove it, and the first time this happened I tried to stick the wire back in, only for it to spark.

I loved that laptop, but went through three chargers and two batteries in five years. poo poo was expensive.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The White Dragon posted:

firefox, making things "faster" but continuing to hide the option to disable the bullshit computer-freezing "restore after crash" feature under a word salad options window you have to navigate to with a specific local url

Do you mean totally freeze up, or just hang for a few seconds every now and then?

Because my new computer's been doing that for a while and nothing I've done has helped.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

moonsour posted:

Why doesn't the Infiniti have infinity sign head/taillights???

That would be awesome!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Do you mean totally freeze up, or just hang for a few seconds every now and then?

Because my new computer's been doing that for a while and nothing I've done has helped.

When Firefox (or, by proxy, your computer during a power outage or whatever) crashes, it will by default try to restore your previous session. It monopolizes your RAM and makes it difficult for your computer to do, well, anything. The problem is, even if you only had one window open with no tabs, for some reason, restoring takes forever and rarely works. It's better just to force-quit it when you're able to so Firefox recognizes a "crash during restore" error and then actually asks you, "hey, do you want me to restore this session?" NO.

To disable this feature, you have to navigate to about :config in your navigation bar--you can't access this through Options > Preferences. Then you have to manually find browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash and set the bool to false.

This is only a restore-from-crash issue, though, and you shouldn't be experiencing problems from everyday use if that's what's happening in your case.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Pretty much any laptop that requires an oyster shucking knife to open.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Finding bad software ui/ux designs is like shooting fish in a barrel. just look at any "modern" website. cmon post some more engineering fails and hosed up bathrooms pls

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I've dreamed of a few things I'd like to patent:

1. A timer circuit on a microwave that clears out the remaining cooking time after a minute of non-use, instead of leaving “0:07” on the microwave forever so the next person has to press 'clear' before using it.

2. A timer circuit on a TV that clears the volume to a low default after the TV is off for a minute, instead of leaving the volume at “92” forever so that you have to turn it on and listen to the blaring sound level possibly waking up babies and such while you dutifully stand there holding the volume down button.

3. A simple flip-flop circuit in a car door that saves the power unlock trigger, so that you can hit “unlock” and it will soon unlock – even if somebody was already starting to pull the handle at that moment. (Instead of being told, “I was pulling the handle. Try hitting unlock again. . . .”)

Since the patent office is giving out patents for videotaping yoga classes now, someone could probably patent these.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I would guess all of those things are already patented since it seems like every idea ever has been patented already.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

1. A timer circuit on a microwave that clears out the remaining cooking time after a minute of non-use, instead of leaving “0:07” on the microwave forever so the next person has to press 'clear' before using it.

2. A timer circuit on a TV that clears the volume to a low default after the TV is off for a minute, instead of leaving the volume at “92” forever so that you have to turn it on and listen to the blaring sound level possibly waking up babies and such while you dutifully stand there holding the volume down button.

3. A simple flip-flop circuit in a car door that saves the power unlock trigger, so that you can hit “unlock” and it will soon unlock – even if somebody was already starting to pull the handle at that moment. (Instead of being told, “I was pulling the handle. Try hitting unlock again. . . .”)

Since the patent office is giving out patents for videotaping yoga classes now, someone could probably patent these.

Alternatively somebody already has patented them and then proceeded to squat on the patents like a dragon and that's the reason we don't have any of these nice things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phyzzle posted:

I had this on my OEM car stereo. You set a volume and if you turn the car off with the volume above that level, next time you turn the car on it will be turned down to that level. If your volume is below that level, it is left where it is.

I swapped out the stereo for one out of a newer model of my car and they removed that option. :(

I want to say that my old home stereo did the same thing, but with a preset and unmodifiable level.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Phyzzle posted:

It sounds like you have an annoying spouse. I recognize this because I also have an annoying spouse, and seeing leftover time on the microwave also drives me inexplicably nuts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

criscodisco posted:

It sounds like you have an annoying spouse. I recognize this because I also have an annoying spouse, and seeing leftover time on the microwave also drives me inexplicably nuts.

i always leave time on the microwave, because if i let it go all the way down it makes annoying noises. clearing the time would require pressing an additional button, and thats just too much effort :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like to pretend that the time is like leftover half-used time and so instead of clearing it and starting again I'll use the add 30sec / add 1 min / etc functions to add to it until i have the time I want. That way I don't waste the extra time and it doesn't wind up in a time landfill because I recycled it :shobon:

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Alternatively somebody already has patented them and then proceeded to squat on the patents like a dragon and that's the reason we don't have any of these nice things.

gently caress.

I bet this is why most (and yet not all) drive-thru restaurants seem unable to put a copy of the menu up before you get to the order intercom, so that every person coming through who's not a regular has to keep saying, "give me a minute . . ."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Genral Bullshit 3: Welcome to the Time Landfill

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blind Rasputin posted:

Genral Bullshit 3: Welcome to the Time Landfill

I had just read a blurb somewhere about the new sequel to the Gremlins movies, and read your post as Gremlins 3: ... and was very confused for a moment.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phyzzle posted:

You're a good person and I like you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Similar to the timer ideas above - dryers have long had toggles to turn off the inexplicably awful buzzer for a load of laundry completing a cycle (and why is it that dryer buzzers always sound like Beelzebub running his nails down a chalkboard? They're all terrible), and these days newer/nicer driers have the toggle right in the front so you can use it on a per-load basis.

What I want to know is why we can't have the same feature on microwaves - if I'm cooking something late and I know my fiancé is asleep I don't want the microwave to beep loudly when it's done and I don't want to sit there babysitting it to make sure and stop it with 3 seconds left or whatever. The worst is when I'm reheating something for like 90 seconds - I'll probably be making a drink or something else in the kitchen in the meantime and it's not like I'm going to forget about the food I literally just put in, why even have a loud beep at all in that case?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ryoshi posted:

Similar to the timer ideas above - dryers have long had toggles to turn off the inexplicably awful buzzer for a load of laundry completing a cycle (and why is it that dryer buzzers always sound like Beelzebub running his nails down a chalkboard? They're all terrible), and these days newer/nicer driers have the toggle right in the front so you can use it on a per-load basis.

What I want to know is why we can't have the same feature on microwaves - if I'm cooking something late and I know my fiancé is asleep I don't want the microwave to beep loudly when it's done and I don't want to sit there babysitting it to make sure and stop it with 3 seconds left or whatever. The worst is when I'm reheating something for like 90 seconds - I'll probably be making a drink or something else in the kitchen in the meantime and it's not like I'm going to forget about the food I literally just put in, why even have a loud beep at all in that case?

Microwaves should just have an on/off switch. gently caress all that bullshit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Most microwaves have a complicated set of steps to mute them, and every one of the ten or so button presses it takes will result in a beep. So you basically have to choose always muted or never muted which is some bullshit.

I wish timers would show how much time it has passed since it went off. Sometimes you just miss a timer and it's nice to know how much you goofed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rutibex posted:

i always leave time on the microwave

You are everything that's wrong with America.

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Germstore posted:

Most microwaves have a complicated set of steps to mute them, and every one of the ten or so button presses it takes will result in a beep. So you basically have to choose always muted or never muted which is some bullshit.

I have never in my life been concerned about beeping microwaves. Mine beeps at a reasonable level, and I find it helpful to know when the microwave is done. I'm amazed anybody finds this to be a problem.

quote:

I wish timers would show how much time it has passed since it went off. Sometimes you just miss a timer and it's nice to know how much you goofed.

This is a good suggestion.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I have never in my life been concerned about beeping microwaves. Mine beeps at a reasonable level, and I find it helpful to know when the microwave is done. I'm amazed anybody finds this to be a problem.

This is a good suggestion.

My wife tends to sleep later than me, so it's a concern.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
My dryer just goes "bing bong" a few times when it's finished.

I agree with basically everything said about microwave ovens in this thread. I always feel bad when my partner is sleeping on the sofa and I'm one room away beeping up a storm. Also on mine, if it finishes and you don't open the door right away, it will re-beep every 15 seconds to remind you. Of course he doesn't give a poo poo about making noises when I'm asleep, but it's far too late to redesign him.

I will say that the timer on my phone lets me know how long since I missed it, and I never thought of how great a feature that is until I had it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Germstore posted:

My wife tends to sleep later than me, so it's a concern.

she stays up late sucking the neighbors cooks

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

a starwar betamax posted:

she stays up late sucking the neighbors cooks

rude.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah who would dare insinuate the neighbor has more cooks than he does.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

The "food's ready" beeps aren't even that bad.

The microwave I got for my parents beeped at each notch of the digital timer wheel. So if you want to set it for 5 minutes, it'll beep once for every 10 seconds or something, resulting in a horrific continuous beep. I found no way to disable this and ended up returning the stupid thing because it was annoying enough for the person using it, let alone someone sleeping nearby.

On the other hand, my Whirlpool JT369 is pretty great in terms of UI design, despite having more features than most.

See the big shiny button on the right? Press it to turn on the microwave at full power for 30 seconds, and again to add another 30s or turn the wheel (no loving beeps). Press the wheel to adjust power or temperature in convection mode.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol what an amateur. I have 5 open in this window right now.

Again, Opera to the rescue.

All your RAM are belong to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

On every cell phone I've owned, it warns me that there's a low battery by vibrating the phone.

• Locked thread